Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used ArcSoft TMT last night to play the "Resident Evil-Extinction" BR. No matter how I set up the audio--both in program and in popup menu--and TMT insisted on playing the commentary tracks. Anyone else experience this? Is there a workaround or fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post

I used ArcSoft TMT last night to play the "Resident Evil-Extinction" BR. No matter how I set up the audio--both in program and in popup menu--and TMT insisted on playing the commentary tracks. Anyone else experience this? Is there a workaround or fix?

yes, a couple of us that played this movie experienced that.

no idea how to fix.
post #33 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

After 30+ posts i am still confused. Can somebody having a similar config as mine tell me if he can play Bluray from HDD and MKV files?
My config is Core2Duo 2.6, 2Gb RAM, nVidia 8600GTS, Vista Ultimate, Auzentech Prelude 7.1.

Thanks

Does not play MKVs. Does not play BD+ titles. Will not work with 64 bit Vista, so I hope you got 32. Lossy codecs (DD, DTS 5.1) do not work right with x-fi cards.

So..not good news for you.
post #34 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Dang. I was just about to click "purchase"...

I have an X-Fi sound card connected via 7.1 analog to my Yamaha 1800. Do I interpret this thread correctly in that there are issues with Total Media Extreme and this sound card serious enough to make this a non starter right now?

Does the Vista Media Center integration work well?

thanks

Lossless codecs work (DTS HD MA, TrueHD, LPCM), otherwise it has problems.

MCE works okay.
post #35 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Is it capable of decoding DTS-HD Master Audio, or it decodes only the DTS-Core ?

Cheers,
Jonathan Patya.
post #36 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Threads should have been merged.

Vidabox, Will we be able to try the your trial after the ArcSoft trial?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #37 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

I updated the list of complaints, so it's current.

Half that list has nothing to do with Arcsoft. Way to crap on a company for nothing they can fix.

This from the list is crap:

10 (Vista issue, fixed in SP 1)
40 (This isn't even a problem)
43 (Yeah, this is helpful)
47 (This isn't a problem)
post #38 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to add to the list of complaints that the Arcsoft Japanese and English trials both didn't work for me. I have LG GGC-H20L combo drive, ATI x1250 on-board video, Windows Vista, and whenever I put in a BD or HD-DVD and press play nothing happens. I'd like to know if there's a log file or something I can look into to investigate what the source of the problem is.
post #39 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Just to add, it plays Sunshine on Vista - 32 with ATI 2600 ( center and right audio channels swapped ) - Interestingly though it does do the PiP stuff for this however if you disable the second video stream the PiP disappears but the audio from it is still playing.

No idea if anyone has reported this or not, I for one never seem to get an email back from Arcsoft.

KH
post #40 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:

[b]39 - 1) CPU load for HD-DVD playback both with and without GPU acceleration is significantly higher than with PowerDVD. With GPU acceleration enabled (Nvidia 8600GTS), CPU load was almost double that of PowerDVD. Playback of audio was a major contributer to this extra CPU load. Playback of HD-DVD EVO video only (via modified XPL) was much lower, but still 25% higher than for PowerDVD with the same material.

In relation to the above I subsequently conducted a more detailed analysis of the CPU use from individual processes associated with HD-DVD playback and compared TMT to PowerDVD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12871606

The above results were with GPU acceleration enabled (which works) and showrd that while there was an increase in CPU load compared to PowerDVD, the increase in playing the DD+ audio was much greater.

Quote:

2) 5.1 Analogue sound with HD-DVD is a disaster area. Sound only comes through 3 channels with center going through front right hand side (SB X-Fi Extreme Music sound card).

3) Any attempt to go to full screen mode after DVD playback has commenced fails and the program becomes unresponsive. It then needs to be shut down via Windows task manager. It is however possible to play DVD's in full screen mode by first activating full screen and then commencing playback.

In relation to 2 and 3 above I have now tride TMT on a freshly installed Vista operating system and note the following.

2) With HD-DVD playback I now get sound to all 5 channels when 5.1 surround is selected but centre is still mapped to the right. Changing to headphones deliveres a far better result with the centre channel correctly mapped. After watching some HD-DVD content last night front left and front right sound appropriately mapped and the output to the rear two speakers is different to the front. Whether the headphone option is absolutely correct or not, I'm not 100% sure. It does not deliver the correct sound result for DVD playback.

3) I no longer have this problem on the new Vista install.

Quote:

34 - The playback problems with earlier HD-DVDs I reported only happens on mapped network hard drives.
The HD-DVD rips work on local drives, or straight from optical media.
(It still can't play DTS-HD though)

It not play Terminator HD-DVD from HDD. I did however play one of the EVO files, but without sound. The audio codec in the corresponding XPL is DTS-HD. Others that have played successfully have had DD+ audio.
post #41 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videolover View Post

Does anyone know if Arcsoft totalmedia theater can peacefully coexist with Powerdvd in the same partition?

I currently have Vista installed on two hard drive partitions and XP on a third partition effectively making the PC triple boot.

On the two Vista operating systems I have both PowerDVD and the TMT trial installed and so far I have not encountered any evidence of problems from having both programs installed on the one operating system.

I can't comment on XP however as I only have the TMT trial installed there.
post #42 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

"Changing to headphones deliveres a far better result with the centre channel correctly mapped. After watching some HD-DVD content last night front left and front right sound appropriately mapped and the output to the rear two speakers is different to the front. Whether the headphone option is absolutely correct or not, I'm not 100% sure. It does not deliver the correct sound result for DVD playback."

Using Headphones or 2 channel stereo, while movie plays under advanced the only options are stereo or ArcSoft Virtual Headphone in my trial.

post #43 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM

HI guys, It has played nice in vista 32, flawlessly all the BD titles that I have tried up to the moment both disks and from hdd, the only problem has been 3:10 to yuma, because the disk and the rip doesn't allow the program to start playing, same PDVD, to see the movie you have to use TSremux. In all ocasions the sound is superb, much better than PDVD, the colors are also better and the image is smoother. I hope that with the updates the issues with xp and vista 64( it does nada) are resolved. I have tried with the 3 OS, in the same system with different partitions. And as told you guys it plays nice in vista 32.
post #44 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

I'd like to add to the list of complaints that the Arcsoft Japanese and English trials both didn't work for me. I have LG GGC-H20L combo drive, ATI x1250 on-board video, Windows Vista, and whenever I put in a BD or HD-DVD and press play nothing happens. I'd like to know if there's a log file or something I can look into to investigate what the source of the problem is.

I have found that you must reboot after installing the trial or nothing happens when you try to start the program. The installation program does not force a reboot or telll you taht you should reboot. Hope they appreciate our collective beta testing efforts.
post #45 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Using Headphones or 2 channel stereo, while movie plays under advanced the only options are stereo or ArcSoft Virtual Headphone in my trial.

I too only have access to the advanced option when stereo or headphone is selected.

Testing with David Attenborough's narration from a Plenet Earth HD-DVD episode, I note the following,

Set to 5.1 Channels, PowerDVD maps the narration mostly to the centre channel, TMT maps it to front right. With Stereo and Headphone from both players, much more of the narration is heard through front left and front right than with PowerDVD on 5.1.
post #46 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 PM

According to the ArcSoft web site TMT is "Certified for Windows Vista". The Micro Soft web site defines this as compatible with all flavors of Vista so I decided to take the plunge a few days ago and bought the retail version. Loaded it up on my new HTPC which is running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and got exactly nothing. It don't work (just like everyone here said it wouldn't). However, as a paying customer I now have telephone visitation rights with ArcSoft tech support and decided to exercise those rights. After the usual back and forth about what was going on and a re-install of the software it was decided by tech support further research was called for (he didn't know anything about the 64 bit issue). I have been contacted again by tech support and I can announce it is official, TMT is not compatible with Vista anything 64 bit and will not be for 4 - 6 months.

PS Refund applied for.
post #47 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 PM

From the sounds of it, the version of TMT that you folks are trial testing now is probably still the exact same version the rest of us have been messing with for weeks now. I don't think they have updated the trial yet to a more recent version of the software. Makes me wonder if the version they released for purchase is the same version the trial is based off of.. and they have not patched the app prior to release (for some crazy reason that I can't conjure up).

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #48 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Not to antagonize anybody (including you blackhat36 ), I have never quite understood why people use the 64 bit version of XP or Vista for a Media Center. 64 bit desktop computing has never really caught on, and still is rife with issues. For a "Media Center" which you expect to work flawlessly, every single time, for your every day viewing, WHY do people go to 64 bit?? There is absolutely no practical benefit to running the 64 bit version(s) for media center usage.
post #49 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

From the sounds of it, the version of TMT that you folks are trial testing now is probably still the exact same version the rest of us have been messing with for weeks now. I don't think they have updated the trial yet to a more recent version of the software. Makes me wonder if the version they released for purchase is the same version the trial is based off of.. and they have not patched the app prior to release (for some crazy reason that I can't conjure up).

The creation date for the exe file for the retail version is 12/14 which is 4 weeks prior to the official release. I erased the trial version so I can't compare them.
post #50 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Threads should have been merged.

Thought about it, but there was way too much crap from before the trial was even released. The old thread is still there, so any specific info can be referenced via links if need be.
post #51 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Not to antagonize anybody (including you blackhat36 ), I have never quite understood why people use the 64 bit version of XP or Vista for a Media Center. 64 bit desktop computing has never really caught on, and still is rife with issues. For a "Media Center" which you expect to work flawlessly, every single time, for your every day viewing, WHY do people go to 64 bit?? There is absolutely no practical benefit to running the 64 bit version(s) for media center usage.

In my case the computer has a dual identity. It started life as a software testing system (I'm an independent contractor) and even though 64 bit computing it not setting the world ablaze right now it will eventually be the way of the world. So its nice to know that anything I write now is future proof (at least for a while). When dual format drives became available my system suddenly developed an urge for all things high def and according to my accountant it is deductible.
post #52 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. I updated the list.
I don't want to delete anybody's complaint or question.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #53 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Maybe someone should tell them (or Microsoft) that they shouldn't be using the Certified for Windows Vista logo unless it works on 64bit versions too.. too bad, I was really looking forward to this player too.
post #54 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhat36 View Post

According to the ArcSoft web site TMT is "Certified for Windows Vista". The Micro Soft web site defines this as compatible with all flavors of Vista so I decided to take the plunge a few days ago and bought the retail version. Loaded it up on my new HTPC which is running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and got exactly nothing. It don't work (just like everyone here said it wouldn't). However, as a paying customer I now have telephone visitation rights with ArcSoft tech support and decided to exercise those rights. After the usual back and forth about what was going on and a re-install of the software it was decided by tech support further research was called for (he didn't know anything about the 64 bit issue). I have been contacted again by tech support and I can announce it is official, TMT is not compatible with Vista anything 64 bit and will not be for 4 - 6 months.

PS Refund applied for.

Interesting. A couple of notes on TMT and "Certified for Windows Vista":

1) I just searched the most recent version of the application list, and TMT is NOT on there. Digital Theatre is, as is TotalMedia Extreme

2) From my understanding, in order to be "Certified for Windows Vista" the application MUST run properly under Vista x64, though it does not need to be a native 64-bit app.

TMT definitely does not meet the second requirement. I hate to be spiteful, but I wonder if they should be turned into Microsoft regarding this. It's especially bad since they don't mention anywhere on the product page that it won't work with Vista x64.
post #55 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's see how they respond.

http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=259

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #56 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

There was a patch for Vista on the previous Digital Theatre, over a year old, and yes, if not certified, the logo should not be there.

http://www.arcsoft.com/press/vista_market.asp

post #57 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM

.. I've been wondering about that ever since this thread got started. The product I demo'ed was called ArcSoft Digital Theatre, is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre something different? Digital Theatre is what I messed with, not "TMT". I still do not find Digital Theatre listed on there site.

Did this get renamed, or are we discussing two different products here?
(Digital Theatre is what is being released via VidaBox.com with "enhanced support". They still list it on their site by that name, and it's what I am waiting for.)

UPDATE: They still do not have a subforum for "Digital Theatre" while all their other existing products do. I get more and more confused.

post #58 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Total Media is the Digital Theatre under a new name.
post #59 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Let's see how they respond.

http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=259

Good luck with that.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone from Arcsoft post in any of those forums. I think our best bet at getting anything on your list taken care of is via Vidabox (the company and the guy on the forums here).
post #60 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Total Media is the Digital Theatre under a new name.

If that is the case, isn't it a bit odd that you can still access the Digital Theatre app's page via direct URL?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page