3Likes

post #931 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary H View Post

Works just fine with XP and my ATI HD2600xt PCIe card... but maybe they're referring to the AGP version? I have seen references to problems with that variety.

what driver version are you running?

i seem to be having problems with the pq in general and no dxva to boot.

I'm running XP with a ATI HD2600xt PCIe card, catalyst 8.471.1.1.
From what I've read i might need to go back to 8.3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Maxleung, are you seeing the differences directly when playing the disc? TMT screengrabs are quite bad in quality and do NOT match the viewing experience imho.

I tested this myself a few weeks ago. When I grab a screen in MPC with the ArcSoft video decoder it is MUCH sharper than a screengrab directly in the program itself.
post #933 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

what driver version are you running?

i seem to be having problems with the pq in general and no dxva to boot.

I'm running XP with a ATI HD2600xt PCIe card, catalyst 8.471.1.1.
From what I've read i might need to go back to 8.3?

Yes, 8.3 is what I'm using. PQ is excellent, DXVA is working...
post #934 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

I also found the image quality a bit worse on the 110 build then I am used to with PowerDVD... I can't really put my finger on it.. just a feeling.
I need to do more direct comparisons when I get time!

Otherwise I think they have come a long way from the earlier versions .. everything I tried to play now works.
Compared to PowerDVD it's really nice to use!

The problems I noticed are:
It stutters pretty badly in 24Hz, but I am sure they will fix that, as that is a MUST playing BD and HDDVD.
I noticed a slight lipsync problem.
They definitely need to add MKV support .. I hate having multiple players!

Running on XP SP2, ATI 2600XT with HWacc and M-Audio 410 7.1 analog out.

/Sören
post #935 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by soren View Post

It stutters pretty badly in 24Hz, but I am sure they will fix that, as that is a MUST playing BD and HDDVD.

Same here : only way I've found to fix this is to run at 60Hz. ( although I've had lots of trouble with Vista generally running at anything other than 60Hz).

digital film janitor
post #936 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soren View Post

The problems I noticed are:
I noticed a slight lipsync problem.

Running on XP SP2, ATI 2600XT with HWacc and M-Audio 410 7.1 analog out.

My thoughts exactly, 24Hz stutters, lipsync problem.
Other than that, great app...
post #937 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just a quick reply: The screengrabs appear to be identical to the player. I visually inspected using Irfanview to view the PNG while arcsoft is in the foreground, and I switch between the two rapidly.

The colors are identical between MPC and Arcsoft screengrabs - use the eyedropper tool in Photoshop or Irfanview and you will see - the green background has exactly the same RGB colors in both, as well as the letters and the black bars.
post #938 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

maxleung, are you able to use the Arcsoft filters in MPC? And if so, it there a difference?

Also, it looks like your contrast/brightness settings are different between the Arcsoft and Cyberlink filters. The "black" bars are greyer on the MPC/Cyberlink shot.

I couldn't get the arcsoft filters to work in MPC - but I didn't try very hard and I probably used the wrong filter (it's not "Arcsoft Video Decoder", is it? I get a blank screen when I try - I probably need to rename the MPC executable).

If you look at the PNGs with the eyedropper tool in Photoshop or another paint program, you will see that the colors are identical. The MPC screen has extra dark black borders on the top and bottom, only because the screengrab includes the 16:10 aspect ratio of my monitor (1680x1050) while the screengrab from Arcsoft does not include them (1680x945).

It's annoying that I cannot use h/w accel without getting horrendous PQ. What the hell, Arcsoft?!
post #939 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Additional comments:

With h/w accel disabled in Arcsoft, the arcsoft PQ isn't THAT bad I guess. It is likely that an anti-aliasing filter is being used here to obtain a good score in the HD HQV jaggies test.

For example, NVIDIA can get a perfect score in PowerDVD 7 Ultra with 174.74 drivers on an 8800GT: http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/ind...1&limitstart=3

Maybe this is what I am seeing here!

In MPC, the screenshot shows very sharp lines with a good dose of jaggyiness - no anti-aliasing appears to be in use, even when using the Cyberlink h264 decoder in DXVA mode. I will definitely have to rerun the test using PowerDVD. Even though 3:10 to Yuma doesn't play in Powerdvd 7 Ultra 3319a, at least i can view the trailers before it freezes in the menu.
post #940 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
As it turns out I was too hasty in concluding that the problem was solved by a system rebuild. The problem did come back; I'm not sure why it did not show up the first time I ran Media Center after installing TMT, but the problem is still there.

I've done some more extensive testing and I'm now 100% sure the problem is caused by TMT (the full paid version I purchased a few days ago). Here's the scenario:
  • Restored an image backup to a point before installing TMT. This version of the system has no problems with any of the video content I have - WMV, DivX or H.264. Everything works perfectly; the only codecs I have are ffdshow, and CoreAVC with Haali Media Splitter. AnyDVD 6.1.9.3 is also present.
  • Installed TMT build 110. Now the problems show up, note I haven't even run TMT yet:
  • About 50% of all video thumbnails in the Media Center video library have disappeared and are not being rebuilt. In some cases there are no thumbnails at all.
  • Sometimes playing a video works, sometimes not. Most common is that the first attempt to play a WMV or DivX video after starting Media Center works. The second one doesn't. H.264 video files NEVER play.
  • If I minimize MCE during the "non-playing" of a video, I can see that the ffdshow taskbar icons - which normally are shown during the play of a video being decoded by ffdshow - are not present.
  • If I minimize MCE while looking at a video library screen with missing thumbnails, the ffdshow icons - which normally show up in the taskbar while the thumbnails are being built - are not present.
  • After video playback fails, a restart of Media Center ALWAYS enables one WMV video to play, but the thumbnail problem isn't fixed by this.
  • A restart of Media Center sometimes, but not always, enables one DivX video to play, but the thumbnail problem isn't solved by this.
  • A system reboot will, in most cases, enable playback of one DivX or WMV video AND make the thumbnails return, but not every time.
  • Even a system reboot will not solve the problem permanently, it will always return when attempting to play the second video in a row.
  • Any attempt to play a H.264 video file instantly breaks playback of all other video formats.

It seems that TMT is causing some serious problem for the other codecs (WMV, ffdshow, CoreAVC/Haali) immediately after being installed - as I mentioned above, I don't even have to run the software.

There is nothing strange with my system, just the few codecs mentioned above, no other applications than those who come with Vista Ultimate plus AnyDVD. I have no plugins installed into Media Center.

I do have the Gefen DVI Detective on my graphics card output, but I don't see why it should be causing TMT to break Media Center when it isn't creating any problems when TMT is not present. It isn't causing any problems for PowerDVD (tested that earlier).

What could be causing this?

thanks
post #941 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

politby, it is possible that arcsoft has overriden the filter merits of the previously installed filters.

I suggest reinstalling the other filters first, if possible (WMV will be hard to do though).

Or you can regsvr32.exe the filters instead. Good luck!

I haven't seen this problem in XP yet - but that is because I use MPC and Zoomplayer for playback, and they don't rely on the filter-merit system as much like WMP does.
post #942 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've installed THT, but haven't used it yet. I'll double check to make sure I can still play mkv x.264 files when I get home via ffdshow.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #943 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

politby, it is possible that arcsoft has overriden the filter merits of the previously installed filters.

I suggest reinstalling the other filters first, if possible (WMV will be hard to do though).

Or you can regsvr32.exe the filters instead. Good luck!

I haven't seen this problem in XP yet - but that is because I use MPC and Zoomplayer for playback, and they don't rely on the filter-merit system as much like WMP does.

Thanks for those suggestions, I have made some progress. After uninstalling ffdshow, CoreAVC and Haali Media Splitter - all the codecs I had installed - and reinstalling just ffdshow, I have consistent playability of DivX, XviD, and WMV files. ffdshow is displaying its icons in the taskbar when decoding DivX/XviD.
As for the thumbnails, I have thumbnails for WMV but not for any other format (at least that's consistent rather than the mix I had before). ffdshow is also not displaying its icons on a thumbnail screen which indicates it is not building thumbnails for its decoded formats. How can restore ffdshow's thumbnail generation? Delete and rebuild the MCE/WMP library?

What's also interesting is that as soon as I try to play a H.264 (mp4) video, the entire video playback functionality goes awry and after the failed playback of an .mp4 I can play no other video, including WMVs. I have ffdshow set to decode H.264. Rebooting restores WMV and XviD/DivX playback in this case.

I have not reinstalled CoreAVC/Haali yet because H.264 is the least important format to me and I want to get the others working OK before I add anything more.

And, BTW, TMT works perfectly for HD DVD playback.

Any ideas?

thanks
post #944 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, looks like you need to do some serious debugging - maybe you should try installing Haali and see if you get thumbnail generation back (that is an option when you install haali - it can generate thumbs). Haali can also parse mp4 files.

To properly troubleshoot this you may need graphedit - drop a movie file into graphedit and see what filters are being loaded. Maybe arcsoft inserts its own splitter at high priority in the filter graph and is messing things up? If so, you may need to edit the filter merits using something like Radlight Filter Manager or Zoomplayer's filter manager option. I don't know if you need something special for Vista.

(I don't have vista, so it'll be hard to figure out what is going on hehe)
post #945 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

maxleung,
You don't get black bars on ArcSoft screengrab? I have a 16/10 Acer.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #946 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 PM

I thought I would come here first before going to customer service. I usually get better answers here anyway. If this has been covered before I apologize I did a search with no results. My issue is simply a matter of capability.

I have a HDDVD Drive and a BluRay Drive, not a combo drive. Is there a way to switch which drive the MCE Plugin uses without having to; start it up, changing the drive manually, closing the program, and then restarting? If there is can it be done in MCE?

Thanks,
Dwight2001
post #947 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM

I just got the Total Media Theater last night installed it as Admin, and it worked fine.
Then today I logged in as the users that typically uses the theater, and the app came up but will not play, it first said that it was not registered, so I filled in the necessary info. I do not install software as the user and I searched this thread but did not see any others with this problem. There is a similar inquiry on the Arcsoft forum, but it has not had an answer since Jan....

Thanks,

Vance
post #948 of 4454 Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

maxleung,
You don't get black bars on ArcSoft screengrab? I have a 16/10 Acer.

Not on the screengrab no - because I have to use Arcsoft's built-in screen capture function, and it excludes the bars that are not part of the original image.
post #949 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Thanks for those suggestions, I have made some progress. After uninstalling ffdshow, CoreAVC and Haali Media Splitter - all the codecs I had installed - and reinstalling just ffdshow, I have consistent playability of DivX, XviD, and WMV files. ffdshow is displaying its icons in the taskbar when decoding DivX/XviD.
As for the thumbnails, I have thumbnails for WMV but not for any other format (at least that's consistent rather than the mix I had before). ffdshow is also not displaying its icons on a thumbnail screen which indicates it is not building thumbnails for its decoded formats. How can restore ffdshow's thumbnail generation? Delete and rebuild the MCE/WMP library?

What's also interesting is that as soon as I try to play a H.264 (mp4) video, the entire video playback functionality goes awry and after the failed playback of an .mp4 I can play no other video, including WMVs. I have ffdshow set to decode H.264. Rebooting restores WMV and XviD/DivX playback in this case.

I have not reinstalled CoreAVC/Haali yet because H.264 is the least important format to me and I want to get the others working OK before I add anything more.

And, BTW, TMT works perfectly for HD DVD playback.

Any ideas?

thanks

Update: After rebuilding the the MCE/WMP libraries from scratch, I got all the thumbnails back. Yay!

So with the system working OK, with the exception of H.264 files, I took an image backup and then installed CoreAVC and Haali again.

This restored H.264 video playback, but I have no audio.

I've taken a look with GraphEdit, here are the results. First, here is a standard DivX file, wich works fine with both video and audio:

And here is a H.264 file, with AAC audio, with ffdshow set to decode H.264/AAC:

And finally the same H.264 file, with ffdshow not set to decode H.264/AAC:

As you can see, Arcsoft's audio decoder has inserted itself to decode AAC audio regardless of what ffdshow's setting is (maxleung, you hit the nail on the head). If I set ffdshow to decode H.264 video and AAC audio, the setting has effect for video but not audio. If I disable ffdshow for both formats, for some reason Cyberlink's H.264 video decoder takes precedence over Arcsoft's.

If I right click on the "Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD" box and open up the filter properties window - there are a few settings available, but none that change anything in my situation.

With ffdshow disabled, I would have expected CoreAVC and Haali to come into play, but they don't. Apparently they are overridden by Cyberlink's and Arcsoft's decoders.

Arcsoft's "Audio Decoder HD" is evidently not capable of decoding the AAC audio stream from the H.264 files I have tested - one created with Sony Vegas' AVC encoder, and one with MainConcept's H.264 encoder. Both produce the same results.

Is there some way of stopping Arcsoft from "sneaking" into the AAC decoding path?

/politby
post #950 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Over the weekend I received a email from element 5 that they had credited me the 30% refund for First Time Activation which had not worked for me when I ordered TMT!

Another star for ArcSoft!

Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Polk Audio C10 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
post #951 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, looks like you need to do some serious debugging - maybe you should try installing Haali and see if you get thumbnail generation back (that is an option when you install haali - it can generate thumbs). Haali can also parse mp4 files.

To properly troubleshoot this you may need graphedit - drop a movie file into graphedit and see what filters are being loaded. Maybe arcsoft inserts its own splitter at high priority in the filter graph and is messing things up? If so, you may need to edit the filter merits using something like Radlight Filter Manager or Zoomplayer's filter manager option. I don't know if you need something special for Vista.

(I don't have vista, so it'll be hard to figure out what is going on hehe)

I tried Radlight Filter Manager. None of the DirectShow filters involved in my scenario have merits other than "Normal". Now, if I use it to raise the "merit" of, say, ffdshow's audio decoder, will that wreck HD DVD playback in TNT? Or does TMT always use its own decoders regardless of the DirectShow merit settings?

I can't see any way to specify merit level based on formats, so if I for instance raised the merit of ffdshow, it would take over decoding of all formats for which it has enabled decoding, right? So if I wanted to stop Arcsoft from decoding AAC I would have to raise the merit of ffdshow and Haali, I guess, and enable ffdshow to decode AAC. Is that the way to do it?
post #952 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

why not set the Arcsoft audio decoder to "do not use"...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #953 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

why not set the Arcsoft audio decoder to "do not use"...

Success! Case CLOSED!

(touch wood). I figured out how to change the merit levels and make them stick, using DirectShow Filter Manager. I had to set "Arcsoft Audio Decoder", "Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD" and "Arcsoft Audio Effects" to "do not use" - that restored ffdshow's decoding of AAC audio.

No negative effects on any other video or audio playback that I can see, including TMT itself playing HD DVDs. I hope I don't have to bring this topic back to life again...
post #954 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 AM

When I installed TotalMedia Theatre, MyMovies stopped working. When I lanch MyMovies, it hangs for a few seconds and then states there was an error and must close.

I thought I saw someone else post an issue similar to this, but no solution. I don't need to integrate TMT into MyMovies... I just want it to continue to work.
post #955 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersbw View Post

When I installed TotalMedia Theatre, MyMovies stopped working. When I lanch MyMovies, it hangs for a few seconds and then states there was an error and must close.

I thought I saw someone else post an issue similar to this, but no solution. I don't need to integrate TMT into MyMovies... I just want it to continue to work.

I had the same problem, nothing I mean nothing fixed it except a format. Arcsoft did more damage to my sytem than all the viruses put together
post #956 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

nice work politby! I think I am encountering the same issues but under XP - I'll use zoomplayer to lower the merits of arcsoft's decoders.

Arcsoft TMT should use its filters regardless of merit, just like PowerDVD does.

(I think arcsoft is also interfering with WMA soundtracks too...)
post #957 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nice work politby! I think I am encountering the same issues but under XP - I'll use zoomplayer to lower the merits of arcsoft's decoders.

Arcsoft TMT should use its filters regardless of merit, just like PowerDVD does.

(I think arcsoft is also interfering with WMA soundtracks too...)

I haven't seen any problems with WMA soundtracks - although all my WMVs with WMA audio are home videos so they are only stereo audio. I can imagine the potential for issues with 5.1 WMA9 Pro audio...
post #958 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

I had the same problem, nothing I mean nothing fixed it except a format. Arcsoft did more damage to my sytem than all the viruses put together

Well, this is complex stuff. I'm pretty impressed that it works as well as it does (actually, that goes for any software ). Most users seem to have little or no problem with TMT, it's just a few unlucky ones like us who run into gremlins.
post #959 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Just reinstalled vista 32 bit - installed the driver 174.74(graphics) and installed TMT. Could not get things to work on it, just a black screen. Uninstalled the graphics driver and put in 16375 but still the same problem (thought it was the driver). Can someone tell me how to get this going? Cannot play dvds or HD films. Hope someone can help as I have only just bought this.

cheers
post #960 of 4454 Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisman113 View Post

Just reinstalled vista 32 bit - installed the driver 174.74(graphics) and installed TMT. Could not get things to work on it, just a black screen. Uninstalled the graphics driver and put in 16375 but still the same problem (thought it was the driver). Can someone tell me how to get this going? Cannot play dvds or HD films. Hope someone can help as I have only just bought this.

cheers

I would roll back to the most recent non-beta driver from nVidia - I would stay away from the beta drivers, I've had lots of issues.

I see you're having problems with DVDs as well, but are you sure it isn't an HDCP problem? Is your display HDCP compliant - it would have to be, and you would also have to be running DVI or HDMI.

AnyDVD is good at resolving HDCP problems.

Can you offer a little bit more information - what gear are you using, codecs, etc?

On a vanilla Vista 32 system you shouldn't be having these problems unless there's something special about your hardware and/or software config.

/politby
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page