Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post

I used ArcSoft TMT last night to play the "Resident Evil-Extinction" BR. No matter how I set up the audio--both in program and in popup menu--and TMT insisted on playing the commentary tracks. Anyone else experience this? Is there a workaround or fix?

I watched that the other day from a HDD rip and I didnt have that issue. I wonder why the rip would be fine and the disc would have issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

I'm a bit confused by this. From what I've seen, TotalMedia Theatre (Arcsoft or Vidabox version) is only a player. TotalMedia Extreme is the Arcsoft product that includes burning, editing, etc.

You know what.. I just went and checked the ArcSoft website. You are 100% right... TotalMedia Theatre is ALREADY a stripped down version of TotalMedia Extreme. It's just the player. Then... what's the version VidaBox is selling?

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM

My guess is that is it just the same basic software, with some probably minor features added or deleted to support the Vidabox HW and SW platform. I tend to discount a lot of the product 'goodness' allegations, except I do assume that Vidabox is getting great and quick support for the HW/SW platform they are using. I can see where Arcsoft can more readily support a specific configuration like Vidabox's more easily that the zillions of permutations of HTPC's that are out there. Luckily for me (I hope), my config is very similar to Vidabox (Vista, nVidia, etc...) and I hope to be able to piggyback on their version. My only concern at this point with Vidabox is that they don't have playback from HDD as a priority - in fact, they seem to be sidestepping this because of the studios - and that is something I want to have available.
Otherwise, my suggestion is to give them and Arcsoft a chance. It can't hurt to have competition and choices, and it usually results in better overall products/pricing/support. If Vidabox doesn't add value for a given user (say and ATI/XP config) don't buy it, since they aren't helping you.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

You know what.. I just went and checked the ArcSoft website. You are 100% right... TotalMedia Theatre is ALREADY a stripped down version of TotalMedia Extreme. It's just the player. Then... what's the version VidaBox is selling?

post #124 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

I personally have been rather suspicious of this statement because this would insinuate that ArcSoft is going out of their way to give a better product to a BUSINESS PARTNER... and not improve their own product at the same pace? The only way they could do this and keep both products on the same version track would be to delay patches for regular ArcSoft purchasers.. which just makes no sense in my mind. That seems rather.. backwards. Normal business models would have the owning / originating business have the superior patch version, and all the other business partners have a product with a delayed patch track. This encourages the customers to go directly to the source and buy from there primarily, instead of the other way around. This is one of the main reasons why companies like Cyberlink include OEM Copies or "Cripple-Ware" with drives or computers sold through other channels. Giving an equal or better product than your own purchasable one would dissuade customers from buying the master product from the owning company.

While I personally do hope the VidaBox version does indeed have this supposed "increased pace of patching", I personally find such a business model dubious.

I've been thinking more or less the same thing, but there are a few possbilities that make more or less sense :

1) The VidaBox version won't be going through as rigorous a QA cycle as the ArcSoft version. VidaBox would be doing their own QA before they decide if a release is ready to go out to users. This has the obvious risk of the users becoming the testers.

2) VidaBox (the AVS user) has stated that the VidaBox version will be a scaled down version of the software that won't have all the DVD authoring and other various non-playback oriented features that the ArcSoft version will have. It's possible that ArcSoft will be testing the playback features first and the other features later, allowing VidaBox to release a fully tested, but scaled down product.

Any other option doesn't really make much sense to me from a business model perspective unless VidaBox is paying ArcSoft a LOT of money for the accelerated release cycle.
post #125 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Available as a standalone application, Digital Theatre is also party of ArcSoft TotalMedia™ Extreme, an integrated software suite for working with high definition multimedia. TotalMedia Extreme provides video playback; video creation, editing, and archiving; and backup solutions for optical media including Blu-ray discs, HD DVDs, DVDs, and CDs.

From here, and you with Intel Chipsets may be interested:
http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=1513

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #126 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Also having tried both cards, I am committed to use ATI.
I find there performance (If properly supported) is better than NVidia.

Personally, I'm not commited to either ATI or nVidia. I've had cards from both companies and neither is perfect.

However, right now I'm not sure that nVidia is even an option for me because everything I've been reading says that custom resolutions are broken in the nVidia drivers and have been for many months now with no word on when they'll be fixed. With my Mitsubishi RPTV, this is a deal breaker on nVidia, leaving ATI as my only option for now. There's so much overscan on my TV that I need a custom resolution for my Windows desktop or I can't see the task bar (among other things) and for media player apps that have their controls at the top or bottom of the screen, I can't see those either. This forces me to create a resolution of 920x500 for my Windows desktop which has only a small amount of overscan. I use another custom resolution, 1800x480 for media players (such as PowerDVD) that force their controls to the top or bottom of the display so I can see what's going on. Finally for media players that offer more flexibility, I use a 1920x1080i resolution. If the nVidia drivers won't let me create resolutions of 920x500 and 1800x480 (or something very close), then I have no choice other than to stick with ATI for now.

Even with a Core2 6850 (3.0GHz), my testing suggests that hardware acceleration is needed.

I suppose I could switch (I hate to say upgrade at this point ) to Vista, but even then it sounds like ArcSoft isn't putting a priority on making sure that their software works with ATI. Perhaps the option of sticking with PowerDVD will encourage me to switch to Vista .
post #127 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidabox View Post

playing ripped content and in all honestly, they might not be able to support this completely. We will work with them to try to get things implemented the best we can but no promises. This is a tricky issue.

Isn't that backpeddle #1.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #128 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidabox View Post

We will be offering a 15 trial of our version. We are waiting on Arcsoft to provide it. We should have it by early next week. Sorry for the delay.

What I meant is will we be able to try the Vidabox trial after the ArcSoft trial without having to dig through registries to delete and emulate never having tried the ArcSoft trial?

post #129 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ok. I updated the complaint list. I separated the complaints into sections, and this meant I had to renumber them too.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #130 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Isn't that backpeddle #1.

That is an odd statement. I tried 2 HD-DVD's. Both worked fine from the hard drive, so they obviously have hard drive playback support now. I wonder if the real problem is that they cannot support ripped disks with BD+ intact? I can see this happening as that is obviously a commercial disk that has been ripped. A disk with no copy protection can just as easily be a disk authored by an end user, so they can legally support this type of playback.
post #131 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

What I meant is will we be able to try the Vidabox trial after the ArcSoft trial without having to dig through registries to delete and emulate never having tried the ArcSoft trial?

I believe there was a couple of posts towards the end of the other Arcsoft thread here that described how you can reset the 15 day timer. I don't support using that for pirating the software, but it may help you out if you run into the issue you described.

BTW, just for the record I think 15 days for a trial is too short. Then again, Cyberlink doesn't even give you that option with Ultra...
post #132 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

8:13, I appreciate your efforts. I am on Arc forum and if they don't reply that says alot.

post #133 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

I believe there was a couple of posts towards the end of the other Arcsoft thread here that described how you can reset the 15 day timer. I don't support using that for pirating the software, but it may help you out if you run into the issue you described.

BTW, just for the record I think 15 days for a trial is too short. Then again, Cyberlink doesn't even give you that option with Ultra...

I got the jist of them but they're football or some thing now.

Will I be the only one with that issue?????????

post #134 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM

CPU load for DVD playback as follows,

Process.....................GPU acc..........no GPU acc.
PowerDVD.exe................3%.................5%
uDigital Theatre.exe.......11%................11%

As with HD-DVD, CPU load is significantly higher than with PowerDVD. It is also interesting to note that there was no reduction in CPU load for TMT with GPU acceleration enabled. With hardware acceleration enabled in TMT, the box is greyed out and the tick removed during DVD playback.

I'm also finding the deinterlacing of interlaced DVD's on TMT to be poor with fast moving objects splitting into a double image. With TMT's deinterlacing options basically limited to enable and disable I'm at a loss as to how to overcome this.
post #135 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

drsmithdtv,

I have added your complaints. I too have seen no dxva on regular dvd's, while it's there on pdvdu.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #136 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

drsmithdtv,

I have added your complaints. I too have seen no dxva on regular dvd's, while it's there on pdvdu.

Thanks.

I have just viewed some other interlaced content (recorded TV) for which I can enable and disable hardware acceleration within TMT.

With hardware acceleration enabled (Nvidia 8600GTS) the deinterlacing is good, however with hardware acceleration disabled the deinterlacing was poor in the same way that it was with playback of interlaced DVD.

The deinterlacing I'm seeing without hardware acceleration is perhaps a result of software deinterlacing within my PC and not a specific fault with TMT. TMT does however need to have the option of dxva for DVD content and perhaps some options for software deinterlacing.
post #137 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM

this is heads up people, might be why some are getting black screen and just sound

i unplugged my hdmi input on my display whilest moving it, replugged it in evrything was fine
i then opened up tmt and alas , black screen just sound
i repaired, reinstalled, disabled anydvd but still black screen
previously i had no trouble whatsoever
so decide to run cyberlink advisor and there was my problem
all were green except graphics driver.
i had run it before i unplugged and all were green then but the break in handshake stuffed something
so uninstalled ati drivers, reinstalled several times, ripped out my hair but still red on graphics card driver and no pic on tmt
finally the only thing that fixed it was uninstall ati drivers and uninstall graphics adapter in device manager.
reboot, install ati divers and its all back to green and now have tmt working again
so if anybody is getting no picture, run cyberlink advisor and make sure the graphics driver is showing compliant
obviously arcsoft are pretty fussy with this hdcp thing

card is 3870
post #138 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish b View Post

this is heads up people, might be why some are getting black screen and just sound

i unplugged my hdmi input on my display whilest moving it, replugged it in evrything was fine
i then opened up tmt and alas , black screen just sound
i repaired, reinstalled, disabled anydvd but still black screen
previously i had no trouble whatsoever
so decide to run cyberlink advisor and there was my problem
all were green except graphics driver.
i had run it before i unplugged and all were green then but the break in handshake stuffed something
so uninstalled ati drivers, reinstalled several times, ripped out my hair but still red on graphics card driver and no pic on tmt
finally the only thing that fixed it was uninstall ati drivers and uninstall graphics adapter in device manager.
reboot, install ati divers and its all back to green and now have tmt working again
so if anybody is getting no picture, run cyberlink advisor and make sure the graphics driver is showing compliant
obviously arcsoft are pretty fussy with this hdcp thing

card is 3870

I will give this a go later but at the moment im connected through VGA (analogue) and still no differenece the most annoying part was it did work for a couple of days then just stopped while PDVD carried on working.

Support our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
efforts add team number 95865
post #139 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeash View Post

will there be a 2.35:1 mode with this player? or custom aspect ratio control?

Agreed.. Both this and PowerDVD are useless unless I can format a 2:35:1 Image properly on my 2:35:1 screen.. Rather than have it windowboxed in a 16:9 frame.

Both TheaterTek & Zoom Player do this without any problem.. Unfortunately they don't do HDDVD/ Blu Ray.

Daniel
post #140 of 4445 Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmobile View Post

I will give this a go later but at the moment im connected through VGA (analogue) and still no differenece the most annoying part was it did work for a couple of days then just stopped while PDVD carried on working.

weird thing is my connection type was green and saying hdcpcompliant but it was the driver one that wasnt compliant.
i even used another connection (i tried another hdcp monitor) and it was a still red dot for driver and resultant black screen
post #141 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 AM

Hi,

can someone run a quick test for me please with the BD remastered Fifth Element.

At the start of the film, just after the asteroid sequence when the ship comes in from the right hand side of the screen the audio on PDVD is strong and well defined from the right surround. The same scene on TMT appears weak in comparison and I was wondering if the surround channel was kicking in. No problems with the left surround. It was 2am in the morning so I didn't investigate further but will do so over the weekend. Was listening to PCM.

Thanks
Keith
post #142 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

Ok. I updated the complaint list. I separated the complaints into sections, and this meant I had to renumber them too.

Wow... looking at your list, I don't understand why one should fork out money for something so bug ridden and unfinished.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #143 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

gorman, try nero showtime with the BD/HD DVD plugin
just a few simple fixes and it works w/ everything except BD+
no overlay as well
post #144 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

gorman, try nero showtime with the BD/HD DVD plugin
just a few simple fixes and it works w/ everything except BD+
no overlay as well

Are you using nero 8?
Because I have nero 7 and showtime doesn't seem to be useful for anything at all.
post #145 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
please add to list of complaints:

- disables aero on g35 (because of overlay mode), pdvd doesn't do that
post #146 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 AM

ok I just got another reply from arcsoft concerning black screen on Intel G35 gfx:
---------
Hello David,
Thank you for contacting us again.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have met. After checked
the issue with our relevant engineers, if your graphic card is provided
by Inter also, we are sorry to tell you that the Inter graphic card can
not be supported by our program recently. We will make improvement in
our later versions after one or two months.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Thanks for your understanding.
If there is any further question, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you.
---------
post #147 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 AM

To conclude guys, which pictures do you prefer: Arsoft or Power to play yours HD contents?

post #148 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 AM

I have decided to stop posting answers in this thread. It is very difficult for me to provide answers that will please everyone in this forum. I'm afraid that many of my comments are not coming across as intended and the last thing I want to do is misrepresent VidaBox and/or Arcsoft. We have worked very hard to build a reputation for great products and customer support.

I will speak plainly and honestly to you all. We at VidaBox love HTPCs as much as you guys do. We want to push what can be done on the platform and move the market forward. We want pretty much all the same things that all of you want. We got tired of always being ignored by Cyberlink and we were happy to be approached by Arcsoft. I'm not going to sugar coat it. They had many issues with their software but they listened to our reports and fixed the problems. We license a lot of software for our systems and Arcsoft is by far the most responsive company when it comes to fixing issues. We now have a version that we feel is superior to the Cyberlink product and will be pre-installing on all our HD & BD systems going forward.

We decided to resell the Arcsoft software because we were so happy with the results and felt that many of you would be interested in purchasing their software. We didn't know when they would be releasing their retail version so we thought that we would be able to release it before they did. That turned out not to be the case.

The second reason we decided to resell the software was so that we could increase our license count and have more weight behind us to get them to implement features that we felt were important such as launching ripped content from the hard drive. We where also planning on listening to your experience and providing bug reports to them directly in hopes of fixing whatever new issues might come up.

I'll be honest and say that we really weren't planning on selling that many licenses. The margin on reselling the software is very thin so we weren't planning on this being a major money maker. We were really hoping to use this as a tool to move the platform forward. I know many of you will twist my statement around as BS from a manufacturer with self interests. I would think the same thing if I were in your shoes but what I have just said is the truth.

We are going to re-evaluate if we are still going to offer our version of the Arcsoft software for sale. Our decision to not sell the software does not mean that we have lost faith in the Arcsoft product. We will continue to be firmly committed to working with them. It will simply be for VidaBox specific products.

I will no longer be posting in this thread so PM me or post in the VidaBox forum if you would like to post questions or comments specific to our version of the Arcsoft product. My apologies for leaving this thread. It was a pleasure reading your posts and being involved in your discussions.

Sergio D
VidaBox, LLC
post #149 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysevans View Post

Vidabox (the company, not the user here) - www.vidabox.com - are working with Arcsoft, and as such are reporting and having bugs fixed. As such Vidabox have slightly newer versions of the software with some fixes that arentin the Arcsoft version yet.

Vidabox, the user on the forum, is from the company and is kind enough to give us all this "inside info".

It seems Vidabox will have their own variant of Arcsoft TMT. No idea on when it will be available to buy though.

Thanks!

That sounds like a much better one to purchase. I tend to buy from companies with an active posting person here...it shows they care more.
post #150 of 4445 Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristartristan View Post

To conclude guys, which pictures do you prefer: Arsoft or Power to play yours HD contents?

Nero ShowTime now, but that could change any day.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page