Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD-DVD will obviously no longer be supported at some point in the future is dead. Not yet though I hope. When Blu-ray burners are in a similar price range to DVD burners and the discs can be purchased cheaply in packs of 50 would be the ideal.

I too would be sorely tempted to ask for a refund if HD-DVD support was lost now. Perhaps when there is a major revision it would be more approriate (similar to when PDVD went from v7 to v8).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

Dropping HD-DVD support is fine, and to be expected at some point. Dropping HD-DVD functionality, on the other hand, would be plain stupid, removing a crucial advantage over their competition, the feature that made people switch from it, and that would result with refund requests and alienation and loss of customers. So far, we haven't seen anything done by Arcsoft indicating that they might be stupid, au contraire. But we'll see.

Got an email back from ArcSoft support. According to the agent that I spoke with, HD-DVD Functionality will in fact be dropped from ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater in the next few versions. Apparently the only way HD-DVD functionality can be kept is to install an OEM copy of TotalMedia Theater that came with your HD-DVD drive. Otherwise, they intend to drop HD-DVD functionality (not JUST support) very very soon.

I have to say I am a tad shocked they are dropping functionality so fast. I guess it's time to contact them and start negotiating to get my money back.

In regards to PowerDVD 7 & 8, did they keep HD-DVD playback in 7? And if yes, what's the limitations on it compared to version 8?

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #1653 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 AM

So, it's time for a refund once again!
post #1654 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I just tried TMT with the new 8.6 Catalyst drivers on my 3650. The image looks better but now I have green flashes.

Arghhhhhhh.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #1655 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I just tried TMT with the new 8.6 Catalyst drivers on my 3650. The image looks better but now I have green flashes.

Arghhhhhhh.

- Rich

Me too, with my Vista SP1 System & 2600XT
Maby with the next update from TMT this could be fixed!
post #1656 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

In regards to PowerDVD 7 & 8, did they keep HD-DVD playback in 7? And if yes, what's the limitations on it compared to version 8?

Yes, 7.3 retains HD-DVD capability and with the latest patch (4102) is supposed to have BD live 2.0 compatibility, although I don;t have a disc to test it with. I haven't run into any limitations yet.
post #1657 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
which means pdvd 7.3 is king again*, guess what I use?

bye bye arcsoft you will not be missed, instead of getting rid of hd-dvd like some poster suggested I'd rather we got rid of arcsoft and concentrate our effords on pdvd7.3

*when combined with anydvd/imageburn/vmc/daemontools/mymovies

pdvd7.3 has some serious limitations compared to 8.0 mainly movielive crap, oh no wait...
post #1658 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

which means pdvd 7.3 is king again*, guess what I use?

bye bye arcsoft you will not be missed, instead of getting rid of hd-dvd like some poster suggested I'd rather we got rid of arcsoft and concentrate our effords on pdvd7.3

*when combined with anydvd/imageburn/vmc/daemontools/mymovies

pdvd7.3 has some serious limitations compared to 8.0 mainly movielive crap, oh no wait...

^^^^ what he said...just wonder if I can get a refund on TMT. They never resolved my sound issues either. Glad Cyberlink refused my refund for PDVD 7.3 Ultra when they dropped HDD support .

Anydvd/imgburn/daemontools/xlobby/pdvd 7.3 (4102) combo is working great. I even stop using Pdvd (3319a).

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #1659 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Got an email back from ArcSoft support. According to the agent that I spoke with, HD-DVD Functionality will in fact be dropped from ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater in the next few versions.

Geez. You'd think when they call it "Total Media Theater" they'd look up the meaning of "Total".
post #1660 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvo View Post

Geez. You'd think when they call it "Total Media Theater" they'd look up the meaning of "Total".

Yeah I'm a little perplexed as to why it's referred to as Total Media Theater, when it's actually not TOTAL in its' functionality support.

post #1661 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Liked: 147
I put in a feedback request with Arcsoft:

"I have heard that Arcsoft will remove HD-DVD support from TMT. I am concerned by this, for that means you will be removing something which you sold with the product.

Is this information true? If it is true, will it be taken from the current release via an update?"

I will post their reply.

My personal feeling is they will simply not add it to the next version of their TMT software. I do not think they can simply remove it from software which was purchased already - since it was sold with the ability to do HD-DVD. In other words, they will have to follow PDVD's path or face tons of refunds.
post #1662 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

"I have heard that Arcsoft will remove HD-DVD support from TMT. I am concerned by this, for that means you will be removing something which you sold with the product.

Is this information true? If it is true, will it be taken from the current release via an update?"

I will post their reply.

My personal feeling is they will simply not add it to the next version of their TMT software. I do not think they can simply remove it from software which was purchased already - since it was sold with the ability to do HD-DVD. In other words, they will have to follow PDVD's path or face tons of refunds.

Unfortunately, if you read the fine print in their EULA... they can do whatever they want. They specifically state that the "functionality of the software may change over the course of routine upgrading and patching". Is it SMART to stomp on your user base and take away something you advertised as a key feature in the product? HECK NO. But they can still do it, none the less, if they so choose.

I just really really hope this is all a misunderstanding of some type. I understand removing HD-DVD SUPPORT, but removing HD-DVD FUNCTIONALITY as well?

post #1663 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If and when HD DVD functionality is dropped, I will also be requesting a partial refund.
post #1664 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

If and when HD DVD functionality is dropped, I will also be requesting a partial refund.

I really really hope this is just another case of technical support outsourced to India, and there being a massive miscommunication regarding this.

post #1665 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really really hope this is just another case of technical support outsourced to India, and there being a massive miscommunication regarding this.

There's a thread at the Arcsoft forums regarding this and Jason has yet to respond so I'm not sure what to think.
post #1666 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Just received the following email response from ArcSoft regarding HD-DVD...

Dear Club ArcSoft Member,
If the information was not posted on the ArcSoft web site then it is only a rumor. ArcSoft can not comment on rumors posted on other forums. The software currently supports HD-DVD. Unfortunately we can not guarantee that the software will always support HD-DVD's.

Thank you,
Your ArcSoft Team
www.arcsoft.com

I'm not sure if I could pen a more wishy-washy response than that.
post #1667 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I will post their reply.

Here is their reply:

Dear Club ArcSoft Member,

Until ArcSoft makes an announcement I wouldn't believe the rumors spreading around. ArcSoft has not made any final decision on the topic. The software support HD-DVDs and until ArcSoft makes an announcement I would assume that to remain unchanged.
Thank you,
Your ArcSoft Team
www.arcsoft.com
post #1668 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Arghhhhhhh.

- Rich

Also here with 8200 board, Vista 32. Green every other 10 seconds, and pixelation. Using FF4/SS. Sucks that PDVD OEM runs fine.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #1669 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM

Is there a way to save the updates patches so that at least we can save the last version which has HD-DVD support? If not auto update means there is no way of reverting to the exact version.
post #1670 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Rider View Post

Is there a way to save the updates patches so that at least we can save the last version which has HD-DVD support? If not auto update means there is no way of reverting to the exact version.

With PDVD I was able to retain HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback from HDD as far as 3730d by replacing some of the program files from 3319d.

I don't particurally wish to be reduced to trying this sort of nonsense to maintain HD-DVD playback with future updates of TMT.
post #1671 of 4430 Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Well times are changing and it's not for the better, so what I'm doing is just sticking with PDVD 3401a and Japanese version of DT 1.1.96 along with MPC and anyd. The PC is getting further away from ez playback now days and it's coming down to our friends from overseas to be the savior of managed HDM. As far as the better universal player PDVD 7.3 is still the ez way what ever doesn't play on the fly we will be even more dependent on our friends in the Caiman's.

So for me it's just a matter of updating anyd sticking with what works on my HTPC/Gamer I don't update anything and just leave well enough alone. It's more for amusement on my end these days and only archiving worth while titles that I know I will watch over and over without having to abuse the disk. That's one thing I like about the PC, and since I just went from the latest 7.3 patch and reverted back to 3104RT/3104a EVR it seems to have fixed the color banding. These were all patches so everything was installed using PDVD's installer over the top. Mind you it's still there but not as bad as before the true test was of course KK fog scene and it's very acceptable now, and I can finally live with this player without looking at in disappointment anymore.

I don't know if the 4 patch fixed it or installing the EVR 3104a patch did anything but PDVD never looked better. And with all the patches and over the top installs it kept all of my settings and Onyx skins and no re registration pop ups. I was amazed actually how easy that went and PDVD's installers didn't fudge anything up.
post #1672 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 02:34 PM

If they remove HD-DVD functionality, will that also disable playing ripped HD-DVDs?

If so, how can I convert a HD-DVD to a BR?
post #1673 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM

I have been ripping blurays with image burn to iso, they play great, but when I rip a hd-dvd to iso it doesnt play at all. Any ideas?
post #1674 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If they remove HD-DVD functionality, will that also disable playing ripped HD-DVDs?

If so, how can I convert a HD-DVD to a BR?

Look towards Doom9

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #1675 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingbeyonds View Post

I have been ripping blurays with image burn to iso, they play great, but when I rip a hd-dvd to iso it doesnt play at all. Any ideas?

You need to make the ISO with UDF 2.60 for HD-DVD.
post #1676 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Look towards Doom9

Good resource, thanks!

Quote:

6/4 LG's latest generation of Blu-ray drives bring Blu-ray recording and reading speeds up to 6x and add SecurDisc capabilities as well. On the downside, there's not a word about HD DVD so I guess I finally have to write that HD DVD to Blu-ray guide before my HD DVD drives stop working.

Gives me hope there will soon be a guide.
post #1677 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Good resource, thanks!

Gives me hope there will soon be a guide.

I just followed this guide and was successful in short in no time at all.
post #1678 of 4430 Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news

According to a recent post on the Arcsoft forum from an Arcsoft forum representative, Arcsoft has no current plans to remove HD DVD support from TMT.

Vern
post #1679 of 4430 Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

Good news

According to a recent post on the Arcsoft forum from an Arcsoft forum representative, Arcsoft has no current plans to remove HD DVD support from TMT.

Vern

That's great news.
post #1680 of 4430 Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Refresh my memory. Does Arcsoft TMT work with Vista x64?

What we need for HD-DVD is an open source player or decoder. When the next version of Windows hits, what are the odds of PowerDVD 7.3 continuing to function?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page