3Likes

Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

I actually read that as: no ATI prior to the new AMD's ATI is compatible with Vista 32.

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 and above, or AMD(ATI) HD2400 and above.
Notes: We only support AMD(ATI) graphic card on Windows Vista 32.

I dunno, that's what confuses me. They list specifically Nvidia AND ATI in the first sentence. Then they switch to Windows Vista requirements and specifically state "We only support AMD(ATI) graphic card on Windows Vista 32.". Since there is Nvidia listed specifically in the first sentence, but excluded in the 2nd sentence.. it kind of makes me read that as "We don't support Nvidia in Windows Vista".

I think if they were trying to say that they do not support ATI cards older than the AMD Buyout.. they could have found a FAR better way to word it.

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 and above, or AMD(ATI) HD2400 and above.
Notes: We only support AMD(ATI) graphic card on Windows Vista 32.

I dunno, that's what confuses me. They list specifically Nvidia AND ATI in the first sentence. Then they switch to Windows Vista requirements and specifically state "We only support AMD(ATI) graphic card on Windows Vista 32.". Since there is Nvidia listed specifically in the first sentence, but excluded in the 2nd sentence.. it kind of makes me read that as "We don't support Nvidia in Windows Vista".

I think if they were trying to say that they do not support ATI cards older than the AMD Buyout.. they could have found a FAR better way to word it.

They're saying they only support ATI on Vista, so ATI specific items like AVIVO hardware acceleration are not supported on XP.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Let's give credit to 8:13 who assembled and maintains the list of TMT issues. That's the most positive thing that's come out of this thread. Thanks 8:13.

We've done a big service to Arcsoft by compiling a list of issues. That's something that no other beta testers or qa has been able to do.

Arcsoft now knows users expectations so they can make their product stable and salable. Thanks to us, they've learned a painful lesson about quality control. Maybe Arcsoft can pick off a couple of key issues by Feb 1st (latest VidaBox release date) but the list is long and difficult.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM

What happens on Feb 1?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidabox View Post

Most of the things on your list are related to analog audio output and we have beaten up Arcsoft about that and they will have a fix for it by the end of the week that we (VidaBox) can evaluate.

On the audio side, they told me that they don't downrez the audio. It does indeed sound very good in our demo room but there is no real way to test that other than listening to content. If there is a way to test, then please let me know and I will test it using that method.

The only way I can tell is because my LynxTwo B has mixing software that displays various input and output values.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOnyx View Post

Can you blame them with some of the comments made towards them on here?

Oh, trust me, I'm just stating a fact about the release date. I agree whole heartedly that some folks here need an attitude check for the way they treated him.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think the reason Vidabox left is unknown.
It's speculation as to the true reason why he left.
Saying it's because of mistreatment isn't nessessarily the truth.

I think Vidabox's complaints got somebody worried and told him to stop posting.

I updated the list.

Goodbye, Vidabox.
Do us a favour, and keep reporting the bugs we found.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

So... has anyone installed this product with an already installed PDVD on their system? If so, does PDVD still work? did anything funky happen?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

So... has anyone installed this product with an already installed PDVD on their system? If so, does PDVD still work? did anything funky happen?

*sigh*

Call me an ass, but if you'd bothered to look at the first page of this thread or do a search, you'd see the answer to your question.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Looking at vidabox forum registration, and I don't see the question, just the code. Just me?
http://www.vidabox.com/forum/profile...er&agreed=true

I must be Cylon

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

just you...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

*sigh*

Call me an ass, but if you'd bothered to look at the first page of this thread or do a search, you'd see the answer to your question.

Ok, if you insist. You're an ass. That feels better.

You're right. I should've read past all that registry talk.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Looking at vidabox forum registration, and I don't see the question, just the code. Just me?
http://www.vidabox.com/forum/profile...er&agreed=true

I must be Xylon

My question was "Say hello" and I just typed in Hello - worked fine. Remember to be nice.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Okay so he took your toy blocks away, now whine on!! You people amaze me to no end....
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

He's a moderator on his site and maybe didn't feel like explaining himself here-could be he wants to increase traffic on their site-I'll wait and see.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

One question:

When I looked at the picture quality of TMT under XP, I have the impression that it does not yet meet the shaprness of PDVD Ultra under Vista (EVR). If Re-Clock is right, the video is not running at 1920*1080, but under 1680*1050 and VMR9 renderles. VMR9 is good, but down-scaling is bad. If I do a hardcopy of the screen by pressing the capture picture buttom, it as well saves only a 1680*945 large picture....so I guess it really downscales.

I am using a Nvidia 8600GT.

Any hints ? Are there any reg-tweaks for that ? I saw those in the beginning of the thread, but seems to be ATI-Tweaks, I have not found any of those in my reg.

Best Regards
Old 01-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post

4) Correct me if I am wrong, but don't a number of movies work in TMT that didn't work in PDVD unless a number of updates/patches were downloaded?

I can correct you!
PDVD v3104 and 3319 play every HD/Blu I have tried (no updates or patches)
Arcsoft only plays 50% (the sound channels are wrong on all all my HD-DVDs)
Arcsoft only plays at all on 66% of my PCs
Old 01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99 View Post

I can correct you!
PDVD v3104 and 3319 play every HD/Blu I have tried (no updates or patches)
Arcsoft only plays 50% (the sound channels are wrong on all all my HD-DVDs)
Arcsoft only plays at all on 66% of my PCs

I use PDVD also. But try 3:10 to Yuma and Sunshine and see how well those Blu tiitles plays (NOT)....I was able to remux 3:10 but couldnt do anything with Sunshine (prb bad authoring from Fox since a lot of pple have probms with Sunshine). Arcsoft (trial) would not even start them from Disc or HDD, or ISO. Def anolog sound is not right with the Arcsoft trial.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post

Seconded. Absolutely pathetic way to treat an industry insider doing their best to impart information to interested forum members.

Thanks for your contributions Sergio, at least some of us appreciated your efforts.
Paul

Make that 3.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Plays BD movies that I have from HDD But the only HD dvd one I have does not work it starts to load then back to main screen. And its shrek the third.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Give it a rest.
It is clear why he left. This forum was rude and aggressive. No one had spent a penny on Arcsoft but many were ready to lynch the messenger. Vidabox was the first vendor in a long time who was this open and candid about what was happening, yet he came under constant attack, often for trivial and petty reasons. Now we have driven off one of the best conduits we had into understanding Arcsoft's TMT.
He left because
- there was no updside in participating. It was a hopeless cause for Vidabox on this forum.
- because people kept hammering him for problems, or anticipated problems, or imagined problems, on configurations that Vidabox wasn't even testing for
- because trying to placate the impossible range of HTPC configurations was impossible.
- and, probably, because it wasn't much fun....

I only hope Vidabox continues to provide a version of Arcsoft that has been thoroughly tested for the Vidabox specific HW/SW configuration. For those of us, and I am one I think, who have a similar configuration, Vidabox can provide additional leverage with Arcsoft to fix bugs and improve stability. Luckily, Vidabox seems like they will continue to release a version of TMT, and I, for one, will pay the extra $10 and try to get benefit from the support of both Vidabox and Arcsoft.

Bottomline, we need help in getting a stable HW/SW player for HD DVD, and even more improtantly for the PC problematic Bluray (which seems to be the winner of the format war). PDVD isn't there, Nero isn't there, and Arcsoft isn't there. We need more vendors willing to try new business approaches, and introduce new products, that will get us to the same level of stability with the HD formats that we enjoy with the 'ancient' DVD format.

I'm off my soapbox now.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

I think the reason Vidabox left is unknown.
It's speculation as to the true reason why he left.
Saying it's because of mistreatment isn't nessessarily the truth.

I think Vidabox's complaints got somebody worried and told him to stop posting.

I updated the list.

Goodbye, Vidabox.
Do us a favour, and keep reporting the bugs we found.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Make that 3.

Regarding how VidaBox (the user, and I suppose the company) were treated here, in comparison to how others who have supported software and/or hardware on these forums I feel they actually had it pretty easy. Make no mistake - VidaBox was here, at least in part, to help themselves out. Some of the things that he was saying quite simply didn't make sense to someone who has been in the software industry for 15+ years. At least in my case, I wasn't trying to pick him apart, I was trying to make sense out of something that really didn't seem to make sense.

I've worked on the accessDTV software and supported it here for the last 4+ years. I haven't made money from doing so as it has been a volunteer (not open source due to NDA issues) project. Go look at some of the accessDTV threads and see the abuse I took from time to time. Did I walk away?

If VidaBox is going to sell their own version of the ArcSoft product, they're going to have to be prepared to offer support for it - ArcSoft isn't likely to provide a high level of support for a customized version of their product that's sold by someone else. If the profit margin is slim for VidaBox, you can bet that it's also pretty slim for ArcSoft (or at least no better than the profit margin on their own products that they sell direct). Keep in mind that VidaBox obviously makes most of their money by selling complete systems and it's definitely in their interest to have HD DVD / Bluray playback software in those systems, so if nothing else they benefit from bug feedback on the ArcSoft software.

To me, the ArcSoft product definitely looks like it has potential, but it currently has a LOT of problems. I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to get much more than a few minutes into a movie so far.

Someone suggested that the level of frustration in trying to get PowerDVD to work has spilled over into dealing with this product. I'd say there's definitely some truth to that statement. I certainly wasn't expecting the first release of the ArcSoft product to be perfect, but after all the enthusiasm for the Japanese version, I definitely was expecting the English version to be better than it currently is. There are some things that are broken, such as audio channels being swapped, that absolutely should have been caught before releasing the product. That doesn't speak very well of their QA process and accelerated releases for VidaBox strike me as even higher risk as the first thing that slips when delivering software has almost always been the amount of QA time in my experience.

I eargerly await some real competition for PowerDVD and do think that ArcSoft has great potential. But until a bunch of the larger issues have been solved, I'm not going to drop another ~$80 or so on another player that's riddled with bugs.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

try Nero 8 and showtime... I LIKE it

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaymar View Post

It is clear why he left. This forum was rude and aggressive. No one had spent a penny on Arcsoft but many were ready to lynch the messenger.

Based on messages in this thread, at least a few people have purchased the ArcSoft product. But with all the posted problems, is it really a shock that hundreds of us haven't bought a copy yet? When the trial version (which is the same as the purchased version) has so many problems, it's not exactly a wise investment.

Quote:

- there was no updside in participating. It was a hopeless cause for Vidabox on this forum.

There absolutely was an upside in seeing what problems users are having as they can use that feedback to confirm bugs and report them to ArcSoft - bugs that they might not encounter on their own.

Quote:

- because trying to placate the impossible range of HTPC configurations was impossible.

If VidaBox is going to sell their version of the ArcSoft product, they are going to have 2 choices:

1) Be specific about the exact hardware configuration that they support - what motherboard, what CPU, what brand / model / size of RAM, what specific video card, what power supply, etc. Any other configuration is considered not supported.

2) Support the myriad of system configurations that are out there.

Option 1 is obviously easier, but severly limits their market. Option 2 is obviously more difficult but greatly expands their market.

VidaBox is also going to need to actually provide something extra to differentiate themselves from the standard ArcSoft product, especially if their price is going to be higher. I'm not so sure that accelerated releases are going to cut it - especially when he admitted that there were no guarantees that ArcSoft couldn't post their own updates first.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I can imagine a team of "Engineers", as Arcsoft calls them.
Getting this one fellow, Sergio, calling them up every day.

"Ring, Ring"
"Who could that be? "
"Hello?"
"Hi, it's me Sergio. I have some more bugs that I would like you to fix."

It goes like that every day. Three or more time a day. They get tired of ol Sergio.

Finally someone tells him to stop it. And he stops posting as a result.

I think that scenario is much more probable then him leaving because we offended him with our questions.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 View Post

Plays BD movies that I have from HDD But the only HD dvd one I have does not work it starts to load then back to main screen. And its shrek the third.

I added your complaint, and a section with complaints about rips.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I called the Tech support today and they asked me for a list of HDDVDs and Bluerays that I have tried and the results (I gave them the few that I have)... Originally I had a problem with the newest HDDVD Harry Potter crashing the interface but today when I tried it with AnyDVD loade it worked fine, but Bourne Supremecy would do absolutely nothing when I press play and when I try to rip it to the HDD it errors at around 30%.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 PM

The following is not a complaint but more of an observation.

With playback of modified XPL's I have found that TMT is more picky than PowerDVD. Perhaps TMT is less tolerant to errors and omissions in HD-DVD's XPL's than PowerDVD.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 PM

I have now discovered that if hardware acceleration is turned off and the apply button pressed, then one can adjust the colors (hue, saturation, brightness and contrast). The adjustments have widely varied sensitivities.

When hardware acceleration is reactivated the actual color settings return to some default value although they are shown faded out in advanced settings for video as retaining their adjusted values. If acceleration is subsequently turned off again, the settings are restored to the indicated settings.

Apparently, hardware acceleration and color adjustments are incompatible.

michael
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I think there has been enough self flagellation about Vidabox.

Why did he leave?. Go ask him. Does it really make a difference?

Ask yourself, why he is not going to sell the product. I think that is clear: it's buggy, he cannot fix it himself, low margins, lot's of hassle.

He is probably very happy to have the exposure here, rather than a bunch a pissed off paying customers. Now the question remains: to buy or not to buy Arcsoft

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15