Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello All,

I suppose that now it is officially available for download on Arcsoft's site it diserves its own thread, right?
So let's start discussing the new player that will probably take PDVD's place amongst us.
I installed it on Vista Ultimate and it already downloaded a patch.
Nothing to worry about.
Up until now I have tested HDDVDs from HDD (Shrek 3rd) and it runs smoothly. Mouse integration works really well I gotta say.
Tried to read a BluRay from HDD (Rescue Dawn), no luck this time. It gives access to the BDMV folder (I mean the OK button is not grayed out) so you can select it. Then the CPU starts to stumble but nothing happens. No crash no lock up of the app, just nothing.
Tried MKV, hmmmm, not supported.
TS are supported but, surprise!, only stereo it seems. Same TS file under KMplayer played DD5.1 without a problem.

That's all for the moment.
Waiting for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running the demo now and it works great for me. No problems on any movie or HDD file yet. I am going to remove the demo tonight and buy the software. I hope it works just as well if not better.
post #3 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I saw some sample picturesin the arcsoft thread, and they said that you could just snap pictures.
I had to use Slysoft, and it wouldn't work on powerdvd.

So here in these pictures, I took one frame from each movie. This means it's legal as far as I know.

I manually set these registry string settings:
"TrDenoise"="0"
"UseBT601CSC"="1"
"VForceMaxResSize"="2800000"
"SORTOverrideVidSizeCaps"="2800000"
"detail_def" = "100"

I used Vista 32 bit, and a ATI 2600XT with 7.7 drivers and catalyst.
It's easier to see the difference or quality if your monitor can do 1080 resolution, and it's 32" or larger.
On my notebook it's not the same quality seen on my 32" lcd tv.

I used three Blu Ray Movies.
Blade Runner, the Final Cut.
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
Reservoir dogs.

To my eyes. In the Reservoid dogs shot. It looks like makeup on his face. Under the eyes.
Anyway. Here's the three shots. I hope you like em.

http://rapidshare.com/files/85408060/H_Def.zip.html

This is a dl to the pictures folder in case these pictures go away after a few days.

I used the Arcsoft Trial, Link

it carshed with a bsod when i tried it with xp.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #4 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

I manually set these registry string settings:
"TrDenoise"="0"

Won't make any difference for films, it only affects interlaced material. Probably worth doing for 7.7 though, it was kinda ugly back then.

Quote:

"SORTOverrideVidSizeCaps"="2800000"
"VForceMaxResSize"="2800000"

These do the same thing, but for different versions. For 7.7 you only need SORTxxx, for later Vforcexxx

Quote:

"detail_def" = "100"

By itself, detail_def does nothing - it's only when things get reset to default will the current detail setting revert to that. Check detail in the reg, is it 30 00 00 00? If so it's off (if it's 31 30 30 it's on and at max).
post #5 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tested this on the sd dvd hqv disk, and turning trdenoise off definitely had a effect.
I also tested this on the matrix, sddvd. And I saw a lot of denoise3d time type artifacts not there anymore.
if the matrix sd dvd is film. the arguement that trdenoise doesn't work for film is false.

Hrrrrm. What fps are you seeing when you play these? Also, are you doing ffdshow postprocessing before handing off to the card? It's certainly possible to confuse the card is some situations, so it thinks progressive is actually interlaced.

I did tests with these a while back, and you can see immediately whether trdenoise is working or not (both visually, and via GPU usage figures). Without actively trying to fool it with ffdshow, it was clearly never on for progressive stuff. Of course, these drivers are extremely buggy.....

For the detail stuff, basically each of the various settings (fleshtone, denoise, detail, etc) have four values in the registry: current setting, min, max and a default. The current setting returns to the default when things are reset, usually via CCC - although of course 7.7 doesn't have detail sliders, so possibly won't be affected by that.

By setting default alone, you possibly aren't affecting the actual setting in use - although if you have reset since then it may have changed it. Only way to tell is to look in the registry: start/run, type regedit, search for "Detail_DEF", look at "Detail" above it. This is held in reg_binary, so each value is preceded by 3, thus a 100 value equates to "31 30 30", 52 is "35 32" etc.
post #6 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM

Does anyone know if Arcsoft totalmedia theater can peacefully coexist with Powerdvd in the same partition?
post #7 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

__________________________ Other Audio Complaints __________________________

8 - Arcsoft has problems identifying HD audio tracks when trying to playback .EVO files and incorrectly uses Arcsoft Audio Decoder for playback, when it should be using the

Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD (causes fast playback of video on .EVOs with DD+ or playback with sound only on .EVOs with DTS)

__________________________ HW Acceleration, Cpu used, Complaints __________________________

10 - Arcsoft didn't support ATI HWA with XP.

11 - noticed from the info tab that apart from vc-1 not accelerating is that all hd-dvds are reported at 60.00 fps whilst all bluray are reported correctly at 23.98 fps

12 - CPU load for HD-DVD playback both with and without GPU acceleration is significantly higher than with PowerDVD. With GPU acceleration enabled (Nvidia 8600GTS), CPU load was almost double that of PowerDVD. Playback of audio was a major contributer to this extra CPU load. Playback of HD-DVD EVO video only (via modified XPL) was much lower, but still 25% higher than for PowerDVD with the same material.

Update - In relation to the above I subsequently conducted a more detailed analysis of the CPU use from individual processes associated with HD-DVD playback and compared TMT to PowerDVD.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12871606
The above results were with GPU acceleration enabled (which works) and showrd that while there was an increase in CPU load compared to PowerDVD, the increase in playing the DD+ audio was much greater.

13 - With hardware acceleration enabled in TMT, the box is greyed out and the tick removed during DVD playback.

Update - I'm also finding the deinterlacing of interlaced DVD's on TMT to be poor with fast moving objects splitting into a double image.
Link to Post 134

__________________________ Rip Complaints __________________________

14 - Has anyone been able to play regular (non-HD) rips from a disk. DVD's play fine from disk but not from folders. Thanks.

Update - Get black screen (audio ok) when playing any ripped HD-DVD using "Open movie folder from hard disk". However, playing any .EVO file from within the same folder

using "Open media file", the video plays normally. The Japanese version worked fine. I'm using a 945GM chipset.

16 - Has anyone gotten an IMGBurn ISO to load up in DaemonTools and play with TMT? So far, I have gotten discs to load fine from the 360 addon, but I can't get the player

to play a loaded iso file. the disc thrashes for a few seconds, but the player stays black. I am copying the files back out of the ISO to see how it plays from the hdd. I

sure hope I don't have to go back and extract all of the iso's I created to play in pdvd.
Edit: The same movie (Planet Earth) plays perfectly from the HDD, but nothing will load up from an ISO file. I'll wait to see if anyone has success in this before I start

to re-rip every dang disc I have.

18 - Finding that opening from hdd with .dat or .xpl won't work but works no problem from drop down folder on gui.

__________________________ Other Complaints __________________________

23 - Has anyone with an Intel G35 motherboard been able to get anything other than sound and black picture ?

24 - None of the listed color controls (Hue, Saturation, Brightness and Contrast) worked in TMT on either disk.

Update:
BTW with the new Nvidia drivers (beta 174.74), you can do color sat/bright/contrast/hue adjustments now via the nvidia control panel that has an effect with both PDVD and

TMT with hardware accell on with 7, 8, 9 series cards, which it couldnt do before.

25 - does not work on extended display.

29 - It wouldn't play the HD version of Digital video essentials though. All the test patterns aren't there.

30 - Does not play MKVs.
I'm running XPSP2 with a CD 6600, Nvidia 8800GTS.

__________________________ Other than Complaints __________________________

35 - 805 Onkyo recievers to see if it did process the TrueHD and DTS MA properly?

36 - PROACTIVE in it's approach to the HDCP and encryption/BD+ issues, rather than purchasing a movie and having to wait until the next update.

37 - are there going to release this for Vista 64-bit
Update, there should be one since they carry they "Certified for Windows Vista".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305

38 - the possibility to auto change the refreshrate to what u are wathing. if it's to 24hz and so on.

39 - I did not find any controls to change the aspect ratio of the picture.

Update - will there be a 2.35:1 mode with this player? or custom aspect ratio control?
Update, they say there is this capability with the latest release.

40 - Arcsoft decode DTS-MA?
41 - Is it capable of decoding DTS-HD Master Audio, or it decodes only the DTS-Core ?
Update: with version 113 it can.

42 - The following is not a complaint but more of an observation.
With playback of modified XPL's I have found that TMT is more picky than PowerDVD. Perhaps TMT is less tolerant to errors and omissions in HD-DVD's XPL's than PowerDVD.

This is the sum of the bugs in the current Arcsoft TotalMedia SW.
If there's anymore. Please add your complaint.

Link to Arcsoft Forum with these complaints. See if and how they respond.

post #8 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videolover View Post

Does anyone know if Arcsoft totalmedia theater can peacefully coexist with Powerdvd in the same partition?

It coexists fine.

post #9 of 4454 Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 PM

I am also getting a BSOD whenever I try to open the arcsoft player. XP + ATI 3850 + xbox360 hddvd drive. I've been waiting for this download for a very long time.
post #10 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yep audigy 2 zs here and i get same audio screw up in analog as the x-fi's. No play bd+ from HD or iso deal breaker. One thing I am very impressed with is the audio, the hi res lossless tracks play fine, it's the plain DD tracks that get mix out of whack. Anyway I'd swear by my system the audio is hands down better than power dvd on lossless. But if the countless other issues go unfixed all pointless. Time will tell, let's hope.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #11 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 AM

good list 8:13
hope arcsoft venture and look in these threads
mind im still very happy with it for hd playback. Alot less headaches than powerdvd and hopefully after a few updates all these kinks will be ironed out
post #12 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 AM

Liked: 14
Well, I loaded it up and put in an older BD disc...Totalmedia totally crapped out on it. Locked up. Same disc loaded up in a matter of seconds using PDVD Ultra. Unfortunately, '3:10 to Yuma' is still unwatchable.

Eric

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #13 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There are a few people, like myself, that cannot get it to play DVD's or HDM in Vista. In my case, it works fine in XP though. I've tried uninstalling all of the other codecs like AC3Filter, etc..., but still no luck. Also, after trying to play a disk in Vista, about 1 times out of 10 Vista BSOD's when exiting TMT.
post #14 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically, this shows that setting detail_def to 100 is maximizing the detail at 100.
If I understood Arfster correctly.

Yeah, it looks like either your drivers or CCC are resetting current "Detail" to your default, so it's working OK. However, it's probably best just to set Detail directly, as not all drivers will do that (mine doesn't, and any with sliders won't either).

Quote:

The Polar bear shot is from Polar Arctic (Hd dvd).
I had to use slsoft and totalmedia.

Neither the matrix or polar arctic showed any difference regardless if trdenoise was in the registry or not.
For each registry change, I rebooted twice before getting test results.

The Odd thing is, in the matrix. In the first part before the root menu shows.
I can see a difference if I don't put trdenoise = 0.
Yet, in these screen shots the difference isn't there.

I couldn't get at your rapidshare pics atm (wonky internet), but at a guess it could be that the pre-menu sections you see are interlaced, and the main film itself isn't.
post #15 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoody View Post

I am also getting a BSOD whenever I try to open the arcsoft player. XP + ATI 3850 + xbox360 hddvd drive. I've been waiting for this download for a very long time.

It appears that 32-bit Vista is the only reliable OS for this program.
post #16 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post

It appears that 32-bit Vista is the only reliable OS for this program.

No, that's wrong. XP is the only place it's reliable for me. So far it has never crashed in XP, but it won't even play in Vista and sometimes BSOD's on exit.
post #17 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 AM

This programme is useless for Blu-Ray as it cannot play BD+
This programme is useless for HD-DVD as it reverses the analogue centre and right audio channels in 5:1 or 7:1 mode for DD+

that's as well as not working at all on 50% (ish) of XP systems
and not having VC1 hardware acceleration on ATI cards

Look like Mickey Mouse wears an Arcsoft watch!
(Just my opinion)
post #18 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM

vidabox,
In the other thread you said:

Quote:

2. I noticed that many of you are saying that SPDIF only outputs stereo instead of DD or DTS. This was a bug that we discovered a while ago has been fixed with our version and should be fixed with the retail version soon.

Can you elaborate on this? If I took a Blu-ray title like Pan's Labyrinth that only has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 what audio format is going to come out of the spdif connection? Will it convert it to a Dolby 5.1 version?

bpeck
post #19 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I tested this on the sd dvd hqv disk, and turning trdenoise off definitely had a effect.
I also tested this on the matrix, sddvd. And I saw a lot of denoise3d time type artifacts not there anymore.
if the matrix sd dvd is film. the arguement that trdenoise doesn't work for film is false.

Getting this in there a little late, but arfster mentioned that TRdenoise only affects interlaced material - although The Matrix SD DVD may be a film, you have to remember that ALL SD DVDs are interlaced. Your software is doing the deinterlacing (or what has become known as progressive scanning).
post #20 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM

It seems to me that there is an issue with ATI compatibility in general or perhaps ATI + XP.
post #21 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post

you have to remember that ALL SD DVDs are interlaced. Your software is doing the deinterlacing (or what has become known as progressive scanning).

I thought that almost all SD DVDs were progressive, this was the whole point of using plasmas and LCDs
About the only interlaced DVD I have is an old version of Conan the Barbarian.
(I may be wrong, I often am)
post #22 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 AM

No HDD Support? Did you try more Disks?
This is a keyfeature for such a product. If this does not work, I would not
pay one $ for it!
post #23 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:

It seems to me that there is an issue with ATI compatibility in general or perhaps ATI + XP.

I have no probelms with ATI and Vista I also have a 2nd machine with Nvidia and Vista and it works just as well. In fact I have not found any file that I could not play with TMT so far.
post #24 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeck View Post

vidabox,
In the other thread you said:

Can you elaborate on this? If I took a Blu-ray title like Pan's Labyrinth that only has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 what audio format is going to come out of the spdif connection? Will it convert it to a Dolby 5.1 version?

bpeck

I watched this the other day and I got DTS via SPDIF. I have only come across a few titles that I cant get 5.1 or 7.1 from via SPDIF I would say that 90% or better play the correct DD or DTS the rest get stereo.
post #25 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

ATI Hardware Acceleration is not supported in XP with this software, only vista. According to someone that posted on their forum they acknowledged that it's not working in vista currently either, and that it's a bug.

I would hope that this is their highest priority, but time will tell...
post #26 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Perhaps if I turn of hardware acceleration...
post #27 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

After 30+ posts i am still confused. Can somebody having a similar config as mine tell me if he can play Bluray from HDD and MKV files?
My config is Core2Duo 2.6, 2Gb RAM, nVidia 8600GTS, Vista Ultimate, Auzentech Prelude 7.1.

Thanks
post #28 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99 View Post

I thought that almost all SD DVDs were progressive, this was the whole point of using plasmas and LCDs
About the only interlaced DVD I have is an old version of Conan the Barbarian.
(I may be wrong, I often am)

You're sort of both right :-) Any film-origin DVD actually has the raw video in progressive 24fps (or 25fps PAL), but with flags telling the player to output as interlaced.

PC players will (should!) ignore these flags and just spit out the 24fps (or 25fps for PAL) - you can check by playing them in MPC and looking at stats. Sometimes with PAL content this gets screwed up though, although it doesn't matter quite so much as wrongly deinterlacing PAL progressive content doesn't result in many artifacts (sometimes none at all). Deinterlacing progressive source NTSC 60i instead of IVTC is just plain ugly.
post #29 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Dang. I was just about to click "purchase"...

I have an X-Fi sound card connected via 7.1 analog to my Yamaha 1800. Do I interpret this thread correctly in that there are issues with Total Media Extreme and this sound card serious enough to make this a non starter right now?

Does the Vista Media Center integration work well?

thanks
post #30 of 4454 Old 01-22-2008, 01:43 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a remote control for this program (similar to the one used for PowerDVD)?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page