Best ripped format to build DVD Library on Hard Drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sure that this is covered in some other thread, but I am a total noob when it comes to this, and I just couldn't seem to find the distinct answers.

I want to start building a library of my DVDs on my hard drive. I only want the movie and the DD/DTS soundtrack, but I also want it to be MUCH smaller than the 4-6GB it usually takes up. I know about DIVX and MPEG-4, and heard a lot of other acronyms that I don't understand. I want whatever format I choose to be fairly future-proof, so that I don't want to rerip my entire DVD collection in a year, and I would prefer a common format that is playable with standard playing software. I am still running XP Pro, so I don't have MCE or Vista MC, but I would like {my wife} to be able to browse through the movies with a little snapshot image of the movie--maybe some details (actors, summary, etc), although this might be more a function of my front-end? I am playing around with GB-PVR at the moment...

Right now, I do not have an HD DVD Player in my HTPC (just a standalone HD DVD Player), so to start with, I am only talking about SD DVDs, although I would like to use a format that I can ALSO use with HD material, once I make that upgrade on my HTPC.

Also, I only have a 5.1 system (in-ceiling speakers), and I am not an audiophile, so I don't know what "multi-channel PCM" is and I'm not sure it matters to me. Is it even an issue with SD DVDs? Right now, I am very happy with the quality (audio and video) that I get when I simply rip a DVD to my hard drive (using DVDFab HD Decrypter) and play in WMP. So that is the standard I am trying to maintain, nothing more.

I would obviously prefer tools that are cheap (as in free), but if there is a software package that I just have to have, I am up for that.

I know the answer to my question is going to be very simple: "download this and this, configure like this, and voila!", and I apologize for not being able to find it somewhere else, but if someone could just boil it down for me, I would sure appreciate it! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoltz View Post

I want whatever format I choose to be fairly future-proof, so that I don't want to rerip my entire DVD collection in a year, and I would prefer a common format that is playable with standard playing software.

VIDEO_TS folder containing the normal VOB/IFO files for the movie only.

Quote:

I am still running XP Pro, so I don't have MCE or Vista MC, but I would like {my wife} to be able to browse through the movies with a little snapshot image of the movie--maybe some details (actors, summary, etc), although this might be more a function of my front-end? I am playing around with GB-PVR at the moment...

That's 100% a function of the front end (MCE/VMC are just front ends created by MS).

Quote:

Right now, I do not have an HD DVD Player in my HTPC (just a standalone HD DVD Player), so to start with, I am only talking about SD DVDs, although I would like to use a format that I can ALSO use with HD material, once I make that upgrade on my HTPC.

That's good because nobody really knows where HDD playback of HD DVD/Blu-ray will go. The tools to create them are not near as advanced as for DVD.

Quote:

Also, I only have a 5.1 system (in-ceiling speakers), and I am not an audiophile, so I don't know what "multi-channel PCM" is and I'm not sure it matters to me. Is it even an issue with SD DVDs?

There is no multichannel PCM on DVDs.

Quote:

Right now, I am very happy with the quality (audio and video) that I get when I simply rip a DVD to my hard drive (using DVDFab HD Decrypter) and play in WMP. So that is the standard I am trying to maintain, nothing more.

I have yet to find a format to transcode DVDs to that meets my quality requirements and is sufficiently smaller to justify the drastically increased time to rip. When you can fit 200 DVDs on one HDD, there's just no point in transcoding IMO.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

That does meet all my desires except size. Is there no way to transcode to DIVX or MPEG4 or some other format that maintains reasonable quality at a reduced size? Time to rip is a secondary consideration to me if I can save the space. I was hoping for about 1GB per movie instead of 4GB.
post #4 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That does meet all my desires except size. Is there no way to transcode to DIVX or MPEG4 or some other format that maintains reasonable quality at a reduced size? Time to rip is a secondary consideration to me if I can save the space. I was hoping for about 1GB per movie instead of 4GB.

I think the point is that you can't convert a 4GB movie file to a 1GB movie file and expect to not soften the picture and create A LOT of compression artifacts no matter what codec you use (DIVX, MP4, etc). The point is that a couple hundred dollars or so will buy your a drive that will hold about 200 movies like the other poster said. It is much simpler and will provide better quality picture. If you want advice about compressing your DVDs that much, I would visit afterdawn. They will have walkthroughs that show you exactly to do what you want, and they usually give you recommended freeware software to do it.

GO COLTS!!!
post #5 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have screwed around with some compression programs, mostly DVDFab to H.264 and Xvid format. I found it is fine for movies I don't really care about, like American Pie or Dumb and Dumber, but LOTR, Galdiator etc really lose thier punch. I also only compressed to about half the original size, so a 4GB dvd became a 2GB H.264. For me the storage gains weren't worth the time or quality loss.

For reference, my display is a 50" Panny Plasma. I am sure the compression would be even more noticeable on a larger display, and probably unwatchable on a projector with a 100" + screen
post #6 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

That is definitely disappointing. I thought H.264 was used by HDDVD/BR???

I use a 65" 1080p Toshiba DLP, and a Panasonic 720p LCD Projector on a 108" screen.

I guess I am stuck buying a big drive sooner than later...
post #7 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought H.264 was used by HDDVD/BR???

It is one of the newer codecs used for these formats, but you have to remember that an HD DVD or Blu-ray movie (just the movie) can take up as much as 25-40GB of space. It isn't like they are putting a 2 hour 1080p movie with lossless sound on an 8.5GB DVD.

I would bite the bullet and purchase a large hard drive (internal or external) and load it with these movies at their 4-6GB size. Heck, I bought a 1TB drive for $180 on Black Friday and have about 25 HD DVD and Blu-ray movies on it. They take up about 650GB. So 4-6GB isn't that bad IMO.

GO COLTS!!!
post #8 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3075...1113711&sr=8-2

750GB for $189, 5Y warranty, sharp looking enclosure, auto-off etc etc. No tax, free
shipping.

Same thing (+eSATA port) is $199 @ Costco - with lifetime wty .

This is the cheapest per-reputable-GB price, in decent size and with 5Y+ warranty.
Drive like this will hold ~150 "typical" DVD rips .
post #9 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From what I've tried, anything much beyond about a 40% reduction starts resulting in noticeable compression artifacts. That means 2-3GB for most movies. A that rate, it doesn't really drastically change the storage requirements, I (like you it seems) want an order of magnitude improvement to justify the time taken transcoding.

Quote:

That is definitely disappointing. I thought H.264 was used by HDDVD/BR???

It is, but H.264 (or VC-1 for that matter) is "only" about twice as efficient as MPEG-2, so that means for the same quality, figure about half the size. But transcoding is harder/more complicated becauase the source is already compromised, so any artifacts in the original MPEG-2 make it harder to compress, so you don't really realize the full benefit of the added efficieny of better codecs because part of that efficiency is lost because of artifacts in the source.

FWIW, when you see the "drastically" smaller files around, they're usually reduced in resolution significantly to avoid artifacts.

Quote:

I use a 65" 1080p Toshiba DLP, and a Panasonic 720p LCD Projector on a 108" screen.

Yeah, on my 110x46" CIH setup (720p DLP) anything under about 3-4Mbps H.264 results in noticeable compression artifacts.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #10 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
A friend of mine has done some great h264 encodes on his DVDs, and I'll be following suit, I think. His x264* encodes of DVDs are 700 MB to 1.5 GB and look better than my standalone upscaling DVD player's output on my 1080p 61" screen.
I think that I'll be doing the same x264 encoding for any DVDs that are not available in HD formats. If the CPU time to do the encode isn't a big deal, yes, I'd save a lot of storage space for minimal loss in quality. I've even seen 1080p compressed BluRay samples and they were very good indeed. A 720p rip of Planet Earth looked very good compared to my 1080p BluRay original, but it wasn't as good. However, at 1.5 Gb per episode it took up a lot less space.

* Using x264 to encode video with the h264 codec.
post #11 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

fitbrit, that sounds like something I am willing to try. Even if it is, like you said, just for the movies that don't need to be "perfect". I've downloaded x264, even trying to follow the tutorial on doom9, and I got stuck. Clicking on the "First Pass" button in Gordian Knot 0.35 under "X264" doesn't do anything--it's suppose to bring up a dialogue. Maybe I didn't install something right, or maybe I can try another front-end.

Well, back to it...
post #12 of 60 Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Sorry I can't help much, as my friend does it all for me up to this point, but I'm learning soon. Also, there's a thread in this forum about the best configurations to use, and the possibility of getting hardware acceleration of 720p encodes in an mkv container if you apply the right settings.
post #13 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC View Post

I think the point is that you can't convert a 4GB movie file to a 1GB movie file and expect to not soften the picture and create A LOT of compression artifacts no matter what codec you use (DIVX, MP4, etc). The point is that a couple hundred dollars or so will buy your a drive that will hold about 200 movies like the other poster said. It is much simpler and will provide better quality picture. If you want advice about compressing your DVDs that much, I would visit afterdawn. They will have walkthroughs that show you exactly to do what you want, and they usually give you recommended freeware software to do it.

I disagree on this. I rip some movies to Nero's .MP4 codec (H.264) and preserve the 5.1 sound. It play with both Nero as well as FFDshow filters as well. I pass through the DD to my onkyo for processing too.

I get about the same quality as SD around a 1500 bitrate. Most things are acceptable at 1000-1200. It really reduces the file alot more than divx and the quality is much better.

I used divx since version 5.1 and really like it alot. I even picked up a divx compatible dvd player. But H264 is much better and nero does a fantastic job converting it.

What is also nice about nero is that you can load up multiple virtual drives with ISOs and set it to rip multiple flicks in one run. I usually rip about 4 movies at a time. I set i before I go to sleep. By the time I get home the next day around 5pm, it is done.

Mostly though, I have pretty much resolved myself to ISOs at this point. I realized that there is no sense in taking the time to condense when you can just add more storage for cheap.

a 500GB drive will hold about 200 movies if you strip the extras. Plus you can preserve all the audio tracks including the DTS.

It is too much of a pain for me at this point to reencode... especially HDM coming to my PC soon (25-45GB files ... oigh). It makes a 5GB ISO look like peanuts.

Another great thing about ISOs is that there are some SD films where I really like the menus. A good example is Sin City.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #14 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM

I use 3 tools for converting - AutoGK, MeGUI (if audio is > stereo), MKVMerge.

First of all, I have to convert for the lowest spec player in the house - Xbox running XBMC. Secondly, I am streaming over 802.11g wireless.

After testing various video encoding methods for almost a year, I am currently using AutoGK to convert to an XviD AVI. Google for "AutoGK Tutorial" and you will see plenty of info on using it. The most important part for me is using the Target Quality method instead of Predefined or Custom size. I set Target Quality to 75 so that the bitrate hits the sweetspot maintaining playability via the wireless on the Xbox - you could max it to 100 and still get a reduced file size. In Advanced Options, I set the width to 720 so that it is only cropped and not resized.

If the audio is only 2 channel, I let AutoGK convert to MP3 at 256 bitrate - any lower and I can hear the difference. If the source is surround, I use MeGUI to convert the audio to an AAC format - also at a high bitrate. You could tell AutoGK to just use the original AC3/DTS track in your situation, but I wanted the Xbox to still play the audio even if my Surround Sound system was not turned on without having to go into the XBMC config to switch from digital to analog output.

Finally, MKVMerge is for muxing (combining) the video and audio streams into an MKV file. The MKV container allows for just about any audio format (up to 2 audio tracks for the movie) and it streams wells. Another bonus is that if there are subtitles, you can mux them in as well. I hate having a separate subtitle file, no real reason, just being picky.

With all of this being said, if the source is crappy the encode will be crappy without out some serious filtering. In my testing filters had marginal impact while adding hours to the encode; I only dabbled in filters as there is no magic set of filters that make all source material look better. Using the Target Quality it is a single pass and encodes faster than real time on my rig. I am viewing on a Sony 70" RP-LCD with the Xbox and often I am very impressed with the picture quality of the conversions.

Check out Videohelp.com for downloads and tutorials.

I forgot to mention, all 3 programs are free
post #15 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

ISO /end
post #16 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM

I use Fair Use Wizard 2.6 to convert either directly from a dvd or an iso image to divx. Typically I keep all the files under 1400 MB, but on some movies I'll do anywhere from 700MB to 1000MB. TBH I can see a difference between a divx file and a dvd but once I'm sitting 10'+ back looking at my 92" widescreen I hardly notice at all.

I also use Fair Use Wizard to automatticaly rip my series dvds. For instance, I have all the Star Trek TNG seasons... 4 episodes per disc... so I rip the disc to ISO, get like 4-5 iso files ready, and let FUW do its thing while I'm at work. On my computer it's slightly faster at encoding than watching, which is fine with me. It can also do x264, but I haven't really used it much.

using filters and such I can get near or similiar upconverted dvd quality, and almost 1/3 less space taken.
post #17 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just get some HDD space and rip ISO's. A 500GB will hold 60-70 movies.

If you have hundreds of movies you are planning on ripping I understand the space concern, but quite frankly, where are you going to find the time to rip 200+ movies? A decent quality H.264 re-encode is going to chug for a while and you're going to be spending weeks, if not month's encoding your movie collection. Not to mention the typical HTPC user, once they get into it, is hard to satisfy. How much time are you going to waste tweaking and hemming and hawing over options?

If you're going to rip ****** quality low bitrate divx's, what's the point? Is that really worth not having to get up and get the DVD off the shelf? (... or I guess more realistically the DVD is back on the shelf at the rental store)

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #18 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I have been reading some other threads as well, and I am definitely in information overload...

I am still optomistic that I can encode the vast majority of my DVDs with adequate quality and save tons of space. And I've already WAY overspent myself on computer stuff lately, so short of an anonymous benfactor dropping a few TB drives on my doorstep, I think I have to...

fscrp, I too have a modded XBOX with XBMC, but I have never used it to watch a movie (I just modded it so I could store all the games on the hard drive). I guess it would be kind of cool if my kids could access the DVD library through the xbox... But I want to encode for my "best" setup, not my worst--as long as the XBOX (or whatever else) can still play it. I will download and look at those tools and that website tonight.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why all the recommendations for ISOs? Not much can play an ISO directly, but almost everything can play a "DVD folder" directly, and the functionality is identical (ie menus, etc).

post #20 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM

ISOs are easier to manage and with things like WinISO, PowerISO, Linux players, VLC and daemon tools they read fine. It just comes down to personal preference.
post #21 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid11 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3075...1113711&sr=8-2

750GB for $189, 5Y warranty, sharp looking enclosure, auto-off etc etc. No tax, free
shipping.

Same thing (+eSATA port) is $199 @ Costco - with lifetime wty .

This is the cheapest per-reputable-GB price, in decent size and with 5Y+ warranty.
Drive like this will hold ~150 "typical" DVD rips .

Or,

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Which come to about $0.20/GB if you use promo code EMCABCECB.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #22 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I have taken the advice of many in this thread, and splurged on a new hard drive--a 500GB Seagate Barracuda from Fry's for $100. I've been pleased with the performance and quietness of my 320GB drives (I paid $60 ea for those), so this was about the same cost/GB, and got me a reasonble chunk of storage.

I decided to go ahead and build a NAS server, and start with this drivet. In fact, I think I'll go start a thread on that too!
post #23 of 60 Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have to throw in a vote for megui for encoding. It's a bit daunting to start with, but if you're wanting to learn, it's a great tool. I used AutoGK for years to encode xvid material and it was great, but I learned next to nothing about the actual video I was encoding. I've learned more about video since I started using megui and it really is a powerful application for encoding and there are several guides to get you started using it on the web.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM

if playing movies with xbmc, I've always found that divx is best. XBMC will not play x.264 at all, it'll try... but it just can't handle it. It'll play ISO, but if you're going over a wireless network I would advise against it; if it's a cabled network it'd be ok. But remember, as far as I know the xbmc dvd player doesn't support menus, so what's the point in that respect.

It's really all preference and what your needs are. If you like the idea of having compact divx files for ease of compatibility with only some loss of quality then go that route - but if you're a videophile stick with ISOs.
post #25 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Why all the recommendations for ISOs? Not much can play an ISO directly, but almost everything can play a "DVD folder" directly, and the functionality is identical (ie menus, etc).

That is not true. I thought this at first. You need a program that loads iso as virtual drive

step 1. open the folder with an ISO.

step 2 right click on the iso and select "open with"

step 3 click the browse button. open the folder with your virtual drive program. In my case I use nero image drive. It is found in programs/nero 8/image drive, I believe.

step 4 choose that program. Before you click ok, fill in the check mark that says "always open with this program".

step 5 When the ISO loads and autoplay comes up, choose your DVD player and once again check the always open with box.

Now everytime you click on an ISO, it will automatically mount and start playing in the DVD player program of your choice.

Another option is to change the DVD ISO tags to something else like .DVD and then follow the same. This way your ISOs will still open with a burning program and the ".DVD" ISOs will open into the virtual drive.

post #26 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Just get some HDD space and rip ISO's. A 500GB will hold 60-70 movies.

If you have hundreds of movies you are planning on ripping I understand the space concern, but quite frankly, where are you going to find the time to rip 200+ movies? A decent quality H.264 re-encode is going to chug for a while and you're going to be spending weeks, if not month's encoding your movie collection. Not to mention the typical HTPC user, once they get into it, is hard to satisfy. How much time are you going to waste tweaking and hemming and hawing over options?

If you're going to rip ****** quality low bitrate divx's, what's the point? Is that really worth not having to get up and get the DVD off the shelf? (... or I guess more realistically the DVD is back on the shelf at the rental store)

This is why I ended up going with ISOs. It just takes too long and ties up your machine. 20 minutes rip versus a 4 hour encode. the 20 minute is so much easier. I have 400 ISOs on my hardrive. It is funny though. Most movies are actually only 4-5GB when you strip off the extras without any compression.

You will look back in 4-5 years and ask yourself, "why did I wait 4 hours per movie encoding these stinking 480p movies when you can either download them in HD or are ripping them from HDM disks.

I can understand though if you are strapped for cash and need to squeeze every last MB out though. Although, I think H264 is far superior in quality to divx. I used to use divx and switched after 3 years to H264 before finally just going ISO only last year.

Encoding also cost you more money as well. When you think about the increase energy you PC is expending doing a 3-6 hour encoding, it is using more electricy and putting more wear and tear on your boards, drives and power supply as well as running up your electric tab.

post #27 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

That is not true. I thought this at first. You need a program that loads iso as virtual drive

That's exactly what I said, using a second program to create the virtual drive isn't "directly". Theatertek, MCE, WMP, VMC, SageTV, PowerDVD, WinDVD, Arcsoft, etc, none of them can open an ISO an play it (to the best of my knowledge). VLC is about the only Windows program that can play an ISO directly. Note that (again to my knowledge) all of the above will play a DVD from a folder with full functionality, no extra software needed, just the rip, and the player.

Quote:

step 1. open the folder with an ISO.

step 2 right click on the iso and select "open with"

step 3 click the browse button. open the folder with your virtual drive program. In my case I use nero image drive. It is found in programs/nero 8/image drive, I believe.

step 4 choose that program. Before you click ok, fill in the check mark that says "always open with this program".

step 5 When the ISO loads and autoplay comes up, choose your DVD player and once again check the always open with box.

Now everytime you click on an ISO, it will automatically mount and start playing in the DVD player program of your choice.

What if you don't use, or don't want to use Windows Explorer to pick your movies? What if you don't have Nero on your HTPC? What if you don't want the player launching whenever a disc is inserted?

ISOs are somewhat ingrained "in our culture" because in the early days of DVD playback on the PC, none of the players supported anything but playing DVDs from a drive, so there was no other option but to use ISOs if you wanted to keep DVD functionality intact. But it's been years since that has been the case, every player worth using is capable of playing DVDs directly from folders.

I just don't understand the recommendation for ISOs when they offer no quality, functionality, or storage size benefits, and IMO no management benefits (folder == ISO IMO, actually Folder > ISO IMO). And invariably using ISOs involves finding workarounds for the fact that they must be mounted to be used (ie associating them with a virtual drive program, or using a front end that auto-mounts). All ISOs seem to do is make it harder to see what's inside them.

post #28 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, congratulations, I think I am bending here...

I am now doubting whether the time spent (not only encoding, but learning how to encode best) and quality lost is worth the disk space saved. And since I already have a lot of DVDs already on my hard drive in folder format, I think I may just go with that for now (except I ripped the full DVD, so I'll have to in a rerip from the hard drive to get just the movie).

The fact is it'll take me a while to fill up even my first 500GB hard drive (maybe another 80-100 movies), and I'll just rip the movies I want most, first. And maybe by the time I'm full, I'll either have all the movies I really want, or I'll just get another hard drive at that point. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't need 2TB just to start storing my DVD library...

So now my question is this: I am just using DVD Fab HD Decrypter to rip to my hard drive. Is that a good enough tool, or is something else substantially better or faster?

I'm gettin' dizzy from all this spinning round and round that I'm doin'...
post #29 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a big fan of AnyDVD+DVDShrink.

post #30 of 60 Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I am just using DVD Fab HD Decrypter to rip to my hard drive.

I use DVD shrink, but I don't shrink it. If dvd shrink can't handle the movie, then I rip the entire disc with DVD fab decrypter and use DVD shrink to pull out the stuff I want. I have yet to encounter a disc that couldn't be ripped with that method.

You made a good move with just buying a bigger hard drive and not encoding your movies. It takes a long time to rip 100 movies as it is. Encoding them multiplies that by several times. My time is to valuable for that. I'm with stranger89. Video_ts folders are the way to go. ISO just adds another layer of complexity (i.e. using another program to mount the disc before playing it).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page