Can I hook up my old rabbit ears to my Digital tv tuner for a signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get analog channels ok on my tv which uses rabbit ears. I have a kworld tuner that I am installing with a digital in for OTA broadcast. Can I just use my old analog rabbit ears or do I need a special antenna. I live in an apartment so I can't go nuts with an big antenna

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yes. You can use your old rabbit ears as long as you are within range of the transmitter towers. The carrier waves are still analog. Their payload is what has changed.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes and no.

Most digital channels are in the UHF range (or is it the VHF, I always get those two mixed up.) Anyway, most digital channels are broadcast in the range that is received with the "Bow Tie" antenna that clips onto your "Rabbit Ears". But overall, you are correct, there is nothing fundimentally different from the traditional antenna that has been bringing broadcast signals into households for many years.

Go to Antennaweb.org to see what digital channels are broadcast in which band for your area, then you will know what you can get in each area.

The silly badging on new antennas that say "digital antenna" or "designed for digital TVs" etc. etc. is just marketing busywork to help reinforce the lies that the Best Buy goones tell you when they say you need a new antenna.

-Suntan
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
AMEN -- RF doesn't know what promotional language was on the packaging. Old fashioned antennas are making a comeback with ATSC -- especially since cable & sat carriers don't want to give up ALL the bandwidth available in ATSC. Of course, they've learded to down-sample the quality of the digital pic before they send it to you... OTA is free, provides the best possible image, and potentially an array of sub-channels that alternate systems will often strip out.

The only caviot is if you really ARE using an OLD antenna, be sure it's in good shape, the connections and cable are not deteriorated.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was reading one post where the guy claimed the antenna he bought was two powerful and he had to aim it at the ground create less signal strength to get a pitcure.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I was reading one post where the guy claimed the antenna he bought was two powerful and he had to aim it at the ground create less signal strength to get a pitcure.

Thats interesting. Most have to put a UHF antenna in the attic or on the roof.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Most antennas are UHF/VHF. Most HDTV channels are in UHF, and some in VHF. As long as you have the digital tuner in your TV, you can hook it up and it will tune in the new HD channels.

I spent $50 at Radio Shack and got one of the big metal outdoor jobbers and mounted it in my attic
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page