PowerDVD uses EVR under Vista for all video rendering, if it cant, it uses VMR9, as a last possible resort, it uses Overlay. For XP, it tries to use VMR9 first, if that fails (ie, Directx is broken or out of date), it will use overlay.
Supposedly Nvidia 9xxxx series cards with the latest WHQL certified driver 174.74, is the only way to get this to work. However, it's still not working.
NVIDIA Driver Download
GeForce Release 174 WHQL
Release Highlights Products Supported User Guides
* WHQL certified driver for the following GPUs:
o GeForce 9800 GX2
o GeForce 9800 GTX
o GeForce 9600 GT
o GeForce 8300
o GeForce 8200
o GeForce 8100/NVIDIA nForce 720a
o NVIDIA nForce 730a
* Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including Quad SLI technology with GeForce 9800 GX2 and 3-way SLI Technology with GeForce 9800 GTX.
* Adds support for NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology.
* Adds new PureVideo HD features for GeForce 9800 GX2, 9800 GTX, and 9600 GT:
o Dynamic Contrast Enhancement
o Dynamic Blue, Green & Skin Tone Enhancements
o Dual-Stream Decode Acceleration*o Microsoft Vista Aero display mode compatibility for Blu-ray & HD DVD playback*
* Added the following pages to the NVIDIA Control Panel:
o Manage Custom Resolutions
o Adjust Television Color Settings
o Adjust Screen Size and Position
o Move CRT Position
* Improved performance on many DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL applications.
* Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
* Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.* Note: Users will require updated software from third-party movie players to experience the new Dual-Stream decode acceleration and Aero support for Blu-ray and HD DVD playback features.
It sounds like PowerDVD is just broken.
Originally Posted by gtfoltz
Any update on this? I'm using a 2600 pro with Catalyst 8.4 drivers, and the OEM PDVD that came with my LG BR/HD Drive. When I launch PDVD, I get the error that Aero is disabled. Any way to change the renderer?