Why do Vista Aero Enhancements get disabled only during PDVD Blu-ray/HD-DVD playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it normal for Vista Enhancements to be disabled only for Powerdvd Blu-ray/HD-DVD playback? If I play HDTV video or DVDs with PDVD, I dont have this problem.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably has to do with copy protection....
post #3 of 24 Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thats what I thought.. But not sure if this is what everyone else sees too or not.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think it's mainly because Cyberlink sucks at programming/making software. I'm pretty sure Arcsoft's TMT doesn't do this, but I've never tried it. Of course that software has it's own bunch of problems...
post #5 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 AM

This usually happens in applications that switch to overlay mode in Vista instead of using VMR9 or EVR.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I would've guessed it has to do with the fact that PowerDVD stresses the videocard. I know for example when playing games fullscreen, Aero will turn off in the background, I'd think this would be an extension of that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I would've guessed it has to do with the fact that PowerDVD stresses the videocard. I know for example when playing games fullscreen, Aero will turn off in the background, I'd think this would be an extension of that.

I wish we could give PowerDVD credit for being something great, but unfortunately for all of us, it runs in a video output mode that forces Vista to turn off Aero (overlay). It doesn't look like you can change the renderer manually in PowerDVD. But, I wonder if you can change the filter merits to force VMR9 or EVR usage. Has anyone ever tried that?

Another option would be to decrypt your HD videos and play them in another DirectShow player where you can control output for your needs - see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527
post #8 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Before people bash PDVD for being broken, I'd like to know if this is just a feature that's deliberate because of copy protection.

EVR is in full effect on my machine. It would be nice to get confirmation from someone else that this is just the way the software is meant to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonowski View Post

This usually happens in applications that switch to overlay mode in Vista instead of using VMR9 or EVR.

I'm already using EVR. I wouldnt want to change it to anything less than that. All HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies play perfectly for me as of now. I already have a fully compliant HDCP display and native HDMI w/ HDCP display adapter. I dont really see the point in installing stuff like AnyDVD HD or "decrypting" anything. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonowski View Post

I wish we could give PowerDVD credit for being something great, but unfortunately for all of us, it runs in a video output mode that forces Vista to turn off Aero (overlay). It doesn't look like you can change the renderer manually in PowerDVD. But, I wonder if you can change the filter merits to force VMR9 or EVR usage. Has anyone ever tried that?

Another option would be to decrypt your HD videos and play them in another DirectShow player where you can control output for your needs - see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527

post #9 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

When Limewire was doing the same thing, I downloaded something from Java (have it on my HDD at home) and it fixed the Aero issues. I've been tempted to reinstall it to see if it fixes anything.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #10 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently with some of the new Intel boards PDVD can playback HDDVD/Bluray using EVR, which suggests whatever rendering method it uses requires something that the ATI/Nvidia cards/drivers don't support.

Possibly EVR with a custom presenter? As I understand it this could be made more secure than standard EVR.

Alternatively, could be something to do with a secure path?
post #11 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With Intel G35 PowerDVD uses EVR and doesn't disable Aero while viewing HDDVD/BlueRay. Flip 3d looks good. Arcsoft on the other hand uses overlay so my preference is with PowerDVD. If only it did sound half as good as Arcsoft.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hmmm I guess its Nvidia's driver thats broken. It doesnt matter which driver version I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

With Intel G35 PowerDVD uses EVR and doesn't disable Aero while viewing HDDVD/BlueRay. Flip 3d looks good. Arcsoft on the other hand uses overlay so my preference is with PowerDVD. If only it did sound half as good as Arcsoft.

post #13 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Any update on this? I'm using a 2600 pro with Catalyst 8.4 drivers, and the OEM PDVD that came with my LG BR/HD Drive. When I launch PDVD, I get the error that Aero is disabled. Any way to change the renderer?
post #14 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

PowerDVD uses EVR under Vista for all video rendering, if it cant, it uses VMR9, as a last possible resort, it uses Overlay. For XP, it tries to use VMR9 first, if that fails (ie, Directx is broken or out of date), it will use overlay.

Supposedly Nvidia 9xxxx series cards with the latest WHQL certified driver 174.74, is the only way to get this to work. However, it's still not working.

NVIDIA Driver Download
GeForce Release 174 WHQL
Version: 174.74

Release Highlights Products Supported User Guides

* WHQL certified driver for the following GPUs:
o GeForce 9800 GX2
o GeForce 9800 GTX
o GeForce 9600 GT
o GeForce 8300
o GeForce 8200
o GeForce 8100/NVIDIA nForce 720a
o NVIDIA nForce 730a
* Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLIā„¢ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including Quad SLI technology with GeForce 9800 GX2 and 3-way SLI Technology with GeForce 9800 GTX.
* Adds support for NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology.
* Adds new PureVideo HD features for GeForce 9800 GX2, 9800 GTX, and 9600 GT:
o Dynamic Contrast Enhancement
o Dynamic Blue, Green & Skin Tone Enhancements
o Dual-Stream Decode Acceleration*
o Microsoft Vista Aero display mode compatibility for Blu-ray & HD DVD playback*
* Added the following pages to the NVIDIA Control Panel:
o Manage Custom Resolutions
o Adjust Television Color Settings
o Adjust Screen Size and Position
o Move CRT Position
* Improved performance on many DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL applications.
* Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
* Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

* Note: Users will require updated software from third-party movie players to experience the new Dual-Stream decode acceleration and Aero support for Blu-ray and HD DVD playback features.

It sounds like PowerDVD is just broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoltz View Post

Any update on this? I'm using a 2600 pro with Catalyst 8.4 drivers, and the OEM PDVD that came with my LG BR/HD Drive. When I launch PDVD, I get the error that Aero is disabled. Any way to change the renderer?

post #15 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
PDVD 7.3 stays in Aero when playing back BDs on my Intel motherboard with Q35 chipset and GMA 3100 integrated graphics. When I was using a discrete card (Nvidia 8600GTS or 9600GT), it always kicked me out of Aero when playing BDs, even when using the 174.74 whql Nvidia drivers.

Bazinga!

post #16 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah thats right... I forgot about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

PDVD 7.3 stays in Aero when playing back BDs on my Intel motherboard with Q35 chipset and GMA 3100 integrated graphics. When I was using a discrete card (Nvidia 8600GTS or 9600GT), it always kicked me out of Aero when playing BDs, even when using the 174.74 whql Nvidia drivers.

post #17 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 PM

So it works (stays in Aero) on Intel Video drivers, but not NVIDIA or ATI drivers? Wow, that is unexpected. If so, doesn't that point the finger away from PDVD and towards the drivers again???
post #18 of 24 Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think it's a combination of both. According to Nvidia, they have done their job already (shown specifically in their driver release notes). But its possible, the PowerDVD needs to accommodate that change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoltz View Post

So it works (stays in Aero) on Intel Video drivers, but not NVIDIA or ATI drivers? Wow, that is unexpected. If so, doesn't that point the finger away from PDVD and towards the drivers again???

post #19 of 24 Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

I think it's a combination of both. According to Nvidia, they have done their job already (shown specifically in their driver release notes). But its possible, the PowerDVD needs to accommodate that change.

A feature to protect the rendered surface from capture through the Aero 3D API must be available in the video card. This feature is a different private API set for each video supplier, so both parties must make changes for it to work.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please forgive my ignorance here, but if I understand this correctly on my Vista laptop with PDVD and GeForce 8400GT video card, PDVD is using overlay mode to display my BR movies. It does disable Aero (with the included error message.) Now, in overlay mode, it's not using PureVideo HD to decode the BR content, the processor is taking up the load. Is that correct, or am I totally off base here?
post #21 of 24 Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this even a big deal? When watching movies, I'm already in full screen to begin with.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #22 of 24 Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone gotten this to work correctly?

post #23 of 24 Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It works for me using Arcsoft TMT, Vista32, NVidia 9800GTX and the 177.79 beta drivers. It runs in EVR.

Vern
post #24 of 24 Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Vern, could you put a screen shot of other windows on your desktop while playing back a blueray movie in a window? For me, if I play ripped blu-ray files, or standard DVDs, PowerDVD doesnt disable aero effects... only when watching Blueray movies.

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

It works for me using Arcsoft TMT, Vista32, NVidia 9800GTX and the 177.79 beta drivers. It runs in EVR.

Vern

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page