GeForce 8200 - 8 Channel LPCM Output Fully Supported!! - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Quick questions, do you need to still use powerdvd to get HA with this board?

Does the receiver need to support HDMI 1.3 in order to receive and play the uncompressed 7.1 audio?

I was getting HA in WinDVD and Nero. In fact I can't disable it in WinDVD, so no, PowerDVD isn't required(I haven't installed PowerDVD 8 yet).

Uncompressed PCM doesn't require 1.3, my SONY isn't and it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Liked: 147
I got lost in the thread.

Has anyone gotten 8 channel sound via HDMI from a 8200 board? If so, what setup?
post #783 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Has anyone gotten 8 channel sound via HDMI from a 8200 board? If so, what setup?

I have it working on the Asus mATX board with Nero 8 and Vista 64 SP1.
post #784 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM

After many attempts trying to get things working in XP, I still have had limited success. Basically, any version of the nvidia graphics drivers that I have found breaks audio playback, both the hdmi audio and the onboard IDT audio.
If I install only the IDT audio and no nvidia drivers, it works fine. I can even install the nvidia HDMI audio drivers, and the device shows up on the control panel and in the device manager, but no audio will come out of the hdmi. As soon as I install the graphics drivers, audio from both sources gets messed up.
I have tried, 175.70, 175.16, 174.74, and the version that came on my motherboard cd (171.something). All have the same behavior. So, if you are looking to use the board in XP, I would say keep waiting, unless someone has some other suggestions for me.
post #785 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghebert View Post

After many attempts trying to get things working in XP, I still have had limited success. Basically, any version of the nvidia graphics drivers that I have found breaks audio playback, both the hdmi audio and the onboard IDT audio.
If I install only the IDT audio and no nvidia drivers, it works fine. I can even install the nvidia HDMI audio drivers, and the device shows up on the control panel and in the device manager, but no audio will come out of the hdmi. As soon as I install the graphics drivers, audio from both sources gets messed up.
I have tried, 175.70, 175.16, 174.74, and the version that came on my motherboard cd (171.something). All have the same behavior. So, if you are looking to use the board in XP, I would say keep waiting, unless someone has some other suggestions for me.

Update - so I just turned on the machine (glutton for punishment) and the audio (just an mp3 i have been using to test) doesn't pop and crack like it had been. Maybe it is a heat issue? because that heatsink gets super hot. I will investigate multichannel audio and update further.
post #786 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Has anyone reported these issues to ECS or nvidia? I would hate to spend all this time disscussing these issues and not have the fixes show up on the next set of drivers.
post #787 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post

I was getting HA in WinDVD and Nero. In fact I can't disable it in WinDVD, so no, PowerDVD isn't required(I haven't installed PowerDVD 8 yet).

Uncompressed PCM doesn't require 1.3, my SONY isn't and it works fine.

For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I needed HDMI 1.3 for 7.1 surround. But reading up on it it seems what it adds is uncompressed Dolby TrueHD. Is that worth it?
Does this board even use HDMI 1.3?

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #788 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismozcar View Post

Has anyone reported these issues to ECS or nvidia? I would hate to spend all this time disscussing these issues and not have the fixes show up on the next set of drivers.

I submitted a ticket with ECS, no response yet. Is there a place to do so for nvidia?
post #789 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 PM

So, it seems that a good part of the audio stuttering was heat.
Standard DVDs and dolby digital play fine through HDMI, I just have to set my player to SPDIF to get the DD stream. I was able to play them with TMT and Powerdvd. HA seemed to work with PowerDVD, not so much with TMT. I was able to play an HD DVD off the hard disk with TMT, though wasn't sure if it was actually sending the TrueHD track over PCM (Batman Begins). HA didn't seem to do anything that I could tell. Again, I still have the behavior that unless I select 7.1 channel audio in the control panel, it only sends 2 channel PCM, and that when I select a 7.1 channel setup, my reciever thinks it is always getting 7 channel PCM, regardless of what it is actually getting (stereo, 5.1, etc.). And I'm still not sure whether the surround tracks get sent to the surround backs, or side surrounds for PCM tracks. I'm trying to be quiet since the wife is asleep. I'll test more tomorrow, possibly with Nero as well, but I've had enough for one night.

Just noticed that Bahn Yuki said it worked in WinDVD as well - does that have a trial version?
post #790 of 2308 Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I don't think that is the case on my end. I replaced the stock heatsink with an active cooling nb heatsink. My temp on the gpu is around 21-31*C, nothing that should cause the issues.
post #791 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I needed HDMI 1.3 for 7.1 surround. But reading up on it it seems what it adds is uncompressed Dolby TrueHD. Is that worth it?
Does this board even use HDMI 1.3?

No, it does however provide 8 Channel PCM. So whatever player you have will have to decode the audio to PCM. Lossless is lossless though, so you won't be missing much. I have a SONY reciever that handles multichannel PCM over HDMI and the baord sounds(and looks) great on it.
post #792 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Standard DVDs and dolby digital play fine through HDMI, I just have to set my player to SPDIF to get the DD stream. I was able to play them with TMT and Powerdvd. HA seemed to work with PowerDVD, not so much with TMT. I was able to play an HD DVD off the hard disk with TMT, though wasn't sure if it was actually sending the TrueHD track over PCM (Batman Begins). HA didn't seem to do anything that I could tell. Again, I still have the behavior that unless I select 7.1 channel audio in the control panel, it only sends 2 channel PCM, and that when I select a 7.1 channel setup, my reciever thinks it is always getting 7 channel PCM, regardless of what it is actually getting (stereo, 5.1, etc.). And I'm still not sure whether the surround tracks get sent to the surround backs, or side surrounds for PCM tracks. I'm trying to be quiet since the wife is asleep. I'll test more tomorrow, possibly with Nero as well, but I've had enough for one night.

Just noticed that Bahn Yuki said it worked in WinDVD as well - does that have a trial version?

sadly no matter what i do in WinDVD9, I only can get 2 channels. You maye have luck though, but I sure didn't. Between WinDVD9 and Nero 8, I'd go with Nero 8 as you get that Multi channel PCM. The only thing I'll say about WinDVD is that it handles menus a bit better than Nero...
post #793 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it does however provide 8 Channel PCM. So whatever player you have will have to decode the audio to PCM. Lossless is lossless though, so you won't be missing much. I have a SONY reciever that handles multichannel PCM over HDMI and the baord sounds(and looks) great on it.

Also note that Bahn Yuki is the only person to get the 8200 working. He has no idea why or how. There are a lot of talented people on this forum, and he's the only guy to get the 8200 sending multi-channel LPCM with HD video out of the 8200.

Take that for what it's worth. I know I'd wait until more than one person managed to get something working.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #794 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismozcar View Post

I don't think that is the case on my end. I replaced the stock heatsink with an active cooling nb heatsink. My temp on the gpu is around 21-31*C, nothing that should cause the issues.

Yea, mine hovers around 31*C with my active cooling (a regular fan I have blowing over the mobo). Without the fan, the GPU would get up to 60 *C. Could you give me some details or a link for the heatsink you installed? Was it a pretty straightforward swap?
post #795 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Liked: 147
What brands are people using, or more precisely, what brands and what audio chipset is in use?

I noticed different mobo makers use different audio chipsets, resulting in much differences in the audio output.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the upcoming MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum (8200) mobo:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...tinum&class=mb

It will cost about $200 though. I could use the heatpipes to help with the heat given off by the bridges and VRs...my Zalman CPU cooler will blow right across the fins of the heatpipe and my case fans are right on the other side of the fins, pulling out hot air as well.

If it does not do 8 channel sound, though, but the 8300 does, MSI also makes an 8300 version, the K9N2 Diamond
[url]http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9N2_Diamond&class=mb[/img].

I cannot see the extra chip helping with sound, though, since all it really does is increase the PCIe bus size.
post #796 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Also note that Bahn Yuki is the only person to get the 8200 working. He has no idea why or how. There are a lot of talented people on this forum, and he's the only guy to get the 8200 sending multi-channel LPCM with HD video out of the 8200.

Take that for what it's worth. I know I'd wait until more than one person managed to get something working.

Go ahead and add me to your list. I am now getting Dolby TrueHD output at 192KHz using Nero 8 at this very moment watching the Walk Hard Blu-ray disc.

Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
ForceWare 175.16
ECS GF8200A
Athlon64 X2 5600+
Nero 8 w/ Blu-ray HD DVD Plugin
AnyDVD 6.4.1.2
LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Drive/HD DVD Reader
post #797 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildalemonkey View Post

Go ahead and add me to your list. I am now getting Dolby TrueHD output at 192MKz using Nero 8 at this very moment watching the Walk Hard Blu-ray disc.

Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
ForceWare 175.16
ECS GF8200A
Athlon64 X2 5600+
Nero 8 w/ Blu-ray HD DVD Plugin
AnyDVD 6.4.1.2
LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Drive/HD DVD Reader

Nice! A couple questions: what version of Nero are you using? Do you have a 5.1 system or 7.1? Do you have any additional cooling on your heatsink?
post #798 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Nice! A couple questions: what version of Nero are you using? Do you have a 5.1 system or 7.1? Do you have any additional cooling on your heatsink?

I'm using the latest version of Nero from their website.

My system is 5.1. When I configured the HDMI audio, I selected 7.1 surround and unselected 'rear speakers'. Under the HDMI audio properties, I checked all the formats and sample rates.

No additional cooling; my system runs very cool as set up. http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...8&topic=1827.0

Unfortunately I'm still getting significant stutter with CPU usage > 80%.
post #799 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too. Is the audio support for 7.1 uncompressed PCM BD tracks like 3:10 to Yuma, 7.1 decoded PCM, or in some cases re-encoded to DTS, by the audio chipset, or 7.1 bitstreams, like the 7.1 DTS-MA track on The Golden Compass?

also does the OS matter or work better than the other? XP w/ or w/o MC2005, Vista Home Premium, or Ultimate? TIA.

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #800 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

Me too. Is the audio support for 7.1 uncompressed PCM BD tracks like 3:10 to Yuma, 7.1 decoded PCM, or in some cases re-encoded to DTS, by the audio chipset, or 7.1 bitstreams, like the 7.1 DTS-MA track on The Golden Compass?

also does the OS matter or work better than the other? XP w/ or w/o MC2005, Vista Home Premium, or Ultimate? TIA.

Barney I'm getting TrueHD as uncompressed PCM. Also on uncompressed PCM, it comes in as...UNCOMPRESSED PCM! As for bitstream, sadly that's not going to happen for some time.

I'm using the 175.16 drivers in Vista Ultimate 64 SP1. I am also using Nero 8. Although WinDVD 9 works fine, there is only stereo when using HDMI out. I've been teetering whether I should plunk down on PowerDVD or not, Nero is working more than fine(although some movies have issues with menus). As for my luck on this board, I haven't had really any problems. The Phenom I have in here is very powerful as I've been messing around with Avisynth for about a week. Anyway it's a great board and I can't complain about anything.
post #801 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My system is 5.1. When I configured the HDMI audio, I selected 7.1 surround and unselected 'rear speakers'. Under the HDMI audio properties, I checked all the formats and sample rates.

No additional cooling; my system runs very cool as set up. http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...8&topic=1827.0

There are a few people who have LPCM with this board, but like you, they can't get LPCM with good 1080p video at the same time.

That's kind of the point.

Bahn Yuki is the only one claiming to have accomplished this.

(So sorry - you're not added to the list until you get both multi-channel HD audio with stutter-free HD video at the same time.)

post #802 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Curious as to why it is coming through at 192khz though, when the movie is encoded at 48khz. I have been able to get very stuttery TrueHD with the arcsoft player, which again comes through as 192khz instead of 48.

Bahn, what does your receiver report when you play through Nero?
post #803 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Curious as to why it is coming through at 192khz though, when the movie is encoded at 48khz. I have been able to get very stuttery TrueHD with the arcsoft player, which again comes through as 192khz instead of 48.

Bahn, what does your receiver report when you play through Nero?

PCM 48hz.

BTW I've never stated 1080p video, my display device is a Infocus IN76. My desktop is 1280 x 720 native. Do you folks want me to change res to 1080p/24 just to see? I did it once and the letters were TINY! But I could do it if enough people asked.
post #804 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:

There are a few people who have LPCM with this board, but like you, they can't get LPCM with good 1080p video at the same time.

That's kind of the point.

Bahn Yuki is the only one claiming to have accomplished this.

(So sorry - you're not added to the list until you get both multi-channel HD audio with stutter-free HD video at the same time.)

Yuki is also using a Phenom so perhaps that's the difference. Your point earlier was "he's the only guy to get the 8200 sending multi-channel LPCM with HD video out of the 8200" and since I am 'getting' HD video, I thought maybe I could at least be on some type of list.
post #805 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What brands are people using, or more precisely, what brands and what audio chipset is in use?

I noticed different mobo makers use different audio chipsets, resulting in much differences in the audio output.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the upcoming MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum (8200) mobo:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...tinum&class=mb

It will cost about $200 though. I could use the heatpipes to help with the heat given off by the bridges and VRs...my Zalman CPU cooler will blow right across the fins of the heatpipe and my case fans are right on the other side of the fins, pulling out hot air as well.

If it does not do 8 channel sound, though, but the 8300 does, MSI also makes an 8300 version, the K9N2 Diamond
[url]http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9N2_Diamond&class=mb[/img].

I cannot see the extra chip helping with sound, though, since all it really does is increase the PCIe bus size.

Neither of those motherboards are based on the 8200/8300 chipset. In fact, they don't even have HDMI out.
post #806 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Barney I'm getting TrueHD as uncompressed PCM. Also on uncompressed PCM, it comes in as...UNCOMPRESSED PCM! As for bitstream, sadly that's not going to happen for some time.

I'm using the 175.16 drivers in Vista Ultimate 64 SP1. I am also using Nero 8. Although WinDVD 9 works fine, there is only stereo when using HDMI out. I've been teetering whether I should plunk down on PowerDVD or not, Nero is working more than fine(although some movies have issues with menus). As for my luck on this board, I haven't had really any problems. The Phenom I have in here is very powerful as I've been messing around with Avisynth for about a week. Anyway it's a great board and I can't complain about anything.

Thanks for the info, buddy. Have you tried any 7.1 DTS Master Audio tracks? This would give you a good indication if you are getting the 5.1 DTS core or in the case of TrueHD, the hidden regular 5.1 DD companion track.

Just curious if the TrueHD and DTS-MA decoders are there with the 8200 board.

-
Samsung BD-P1400 Questions?
The 1400 Technical Boomoo Reviews
7.1 Boomoos

Official Boomoo Reviewer
High Def Junkies
-
Be INTOLERANT! Some things are just too stupid to put up with.
post #807 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Yuki is also using a Phenom so perhaps that's the difference. Your point earlier was "he's the only guy to get the 8200 sending multi-channel LPCM with HD video out of the 8200" and since I am 'getting' HD video, I thought maybe I could at least be on some type of list.

This Phenom might be helping things. what's funny is that I'm not even spending much time watching Blu-ray/HD-DVD. I've been devoting most of my efforts with tripling frame rates in Avisynth. And as we know, that's all CPU there.

720p MKVs @ 72fps is tough to beat!
post #808 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can't sit and watch a movie, it doesn't count.

post #809 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PCM 48hz.

BTW I've never stated 1080p video, my display device is a Infocus IN76. My desktop is 1280 x 720 native. Do you folks want me to change res to 1080p/24 just to see? I did it once and the letters were TINY! But I could do it if enough people asked.

Yes please, it doesn't fully count if you can't do 1080p.

post #810 of 2308 Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes please, it doesn't fully count if you can't do 1080p.

What exactly is your problem anyway? And why should you get to set criteria for the success of the product? You like your orphaned G35 board, and that's great for you, but this thread is about the 8200/8300 chipsets and HD audio out over HDMI.

Lots of people have 720p displays and if it works for 720p that's good for people to know too.

The main issue is that folks are successfully getting LPCM HD audio out from this board via HDMI. That is what separates this platform from others. If there are issues with the video output at 1080p, I am pretty sure a driver update will fix that. HD audio out and video are relatively uncoupled on this platform in terms of the underlying driver internals. I suspect that if there is a problem here it will get fixed in short order.

In the meantime, let the folks who care about this chipset post their experiences and stop trying to accuse people of not really getting HD out when they say they are. There are other threads for orphaned G35 chipset users, and I am sure you will be welcomed there.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page