The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 4430 Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Bingo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fphredd View Post

Release date?

MSI along with abit is near the end of March at this time.
Bingo13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 4430 Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Java Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 View Post

Turns out it is a hardware limitation on the AMD 780G. It is a matter of bandwidth, we were hoping for at least 6-channel LPCM but it is not going to happen. They will support 8-channel LPCM in the next generation chipset.

What if you did not need multi-channel digital audio out? What if there were alternative ways to deal with audio?

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Java Jack is offline  
post #273 of 4430 Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

What if you did not need multi-channel digital audio out? What if there were alternative ways to deal with audio?

Well some of us have our analog inputs all used up and a bunch of unused hdmi jacks just waiting for a pcm solution. Besides, routing one cable from my pc is a lot easier than 8.
NickB is offline  
post #274 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Member
 
Mascot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: BÃ¥lsta, Sweden
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-D View Post

I bought a GA-MA78GM-S2H through my normal retailer last week. Its up and running with a BE-2350 and 2x 1GB DDR2-800 of RAM. I had no problems getting it going, though I did not that one of the drivers wasn't final. And there were two newer BIOS releases, so I flashed the newest of them.

Then I noticed it had disappeared off the Gigabyte web site. So I asked Gigabyte tech support why. Their answer was that the board is not for retail sale.

If its not for retail sale then they aren't going to provide normal support like BIOSes and drivers.

Can u check the temp on the northbridge? I think all of us want as much info and confirmation of this as possible. 80+ degrees that was reported in idle is too much and needs to be cooled down, and 87+ degrees at full load is way out of line...

Anyone has any thoughts on cooling the NB on this one as silent and effective as possible??

I'm looking at everything from 40 mm silent fans running low to passive chipset coolers like the one frpm Silverstone... would this do the job alone w/o fan?? All of your thoughts appreciated...

The Treble 1999 - Manchester United - The pride of ALL Europe!
Mascot is offline  
post #275 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascot View Post

Can u check the temp on the northbridge? I think all of us want as much info and confirmation of this as possible. 80+ degrees that was reported in idle is too much and needs to be cooled down, and 87+ degrees at full load is way out of line...

Anyone has any thoughts on cooling the NB on this one as silent and effective as possible??

I'm looking at everything from 40 mm silent fans running low to passive chipset coolers like the one frpm Silverstone... would this do the job alone w/o fan?? All of your thoughts appreciated...

For a "good" passive NB cooler to work properly in a case you need to have airflow across that cooler. I also think that the airflow provided by the CPU HSF is insufficient for this.

SO you need a case with fans that force air across the convection surfaces of the NB "cooler".

Note that passive coolers that are low to the motherboard (such as the GB) will not be in the airstream (if there is any) due to all the components next to them.

If you want to see an example of what I consider a good basic layout for a mATX based on the AMD 7X0G look at the photos of the ECS 740G MB I linked below. ECS put the NB is an area where they could put a tall heat sink on the NB. You see even more impressive heatsinks on the Intel branded G33/35 mATX motherboards:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...uID=-1&LanID=9
vkristof is offline  
post #276 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Member
 
Mascot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: BÃ¥lsta, Sweden
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGT View Post

New drivers already fix that, it was a driver bug. Only Inquirer and Fudzilla(kinda ironic name there, spreading FUD seems to be their best ability) tried to portray this as anything else. Also that is such old news, this is 2008 now if anyone didn't notice.

AMD 780G can't do 8 channel LPCM over HDMI, thats a fact, Geforce 8200/8300 can. Whether thats a hardware limitation or not I can't say, but it's rather embarassing for a company which touts their so called "native HDMI" and built-in audio processing in their GPUs.

I quote the Gigabyte homepage'S SPECS ON THE GA-MA78MG-S2H)

"HDMI is latest High-Definition Multimedia Interface, which is able to provide up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and also 8-channel high quality audio. Via transmitting uncompressed digital data, HDMI is able to reduce signal interference as transferring between digital and analog signal, seen and heard, direct from the source. In addition, HDMI is compatible with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), which allowing playback of Blu-ray/ HD DVD and other protected contents."

"Blu-ray/HD DVD Full Rate Audio Support
The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.


Why are they writing this?? Liars??

Can 780g do HD audio over 8-channel analogue? Thats all I need.

The Treble 1999 - Manchester United - The pride of ALL Europe!
Mascot is offline  
post #277 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More leaks about Gigabyte's 780G/etc Cebit announcements from the FUTURE:

Taipei, Taiwan, March 04, 2008 – GIGABYTE UNITED INC., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards is proud to showcase their revolutionary GIGABYTE Dynamic Energy Saver Motherboards including a sneak peak of the highly anticipated GIGABYTE Intel® P45 chipset-based motherboards (EagleLake). GIGABYTE will also have on display their latest solutions supporting the AM2+ platform, including the AMD 780G chipset-based GA-MA78GM-S2H with leading IGP graphics performance and the NVIDIA 780a SLI™ chipset-based GA-M780SLI-DS5 featuring NVIDIA 3 Way SLI™ support and Hybrid SLI™ / Power™ support.
...
AMD Platform

On the AMD side, GIGABYTE presents the GA-MA78GM-S2H, featuring the first DirectX® 10 UMA solution for the AM2+ platform. Featuring the ultimate in UMA graphics performance (scoring above 1500 on 3DMark06), the GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H is equipped with integrated ATI Radeon® X1250-based graphics with an additional PCI-E 2.0 x16 graphics interface to support ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology. With integrated DVI/HDMI interface with HDCP, and ALC889A audio codec, the GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H delivers the ultimate home theater entertainment experience.


The full press release and other new product introductions are here. I've lost track of nVidias' chipset/model numbers schemes, so other people can translate the nVidia news:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/
vkristof is offline  
post #278 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascot View Post

I quote the Gigabyte homepage'S SPECS ON THE GA-MA78MG-S2H)

"HDMI is latest High-Definition Multimedia Interface, which is able to provide up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and also 8-channel high quality audio. Via transmitting uncompressed digital data, HDMI is able to reduce signal interference as transferring between digital and analog signal, seen and heard, direct from the source. In addition, HDMI is compatible with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), which allowing playback of Blu-ray/ HD DVD and other protected contents."

"Blu-ray/HD DVD Full Rate Audio Support
The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.


Why are they writing this?? Liars??

Can 780g do HD audio over 8-channel analogue? Thats all I need.

That is interesting! I doubt they intend to be liars: you don't want to piss off customers. Is this NEW info on their web page?

I sit right across the aisle from my company's marcom (marketing communications) dept and just that short distance produces communications problems. Imagine the stale information the public can get when you have much shorter design cycles and all this information has to bounce back and forth between Gigabyte and AMD, between departments, native languages and continents!

"it's a global world"

Regarding "Can 780g do HD audio over 8-channel analogue?" I think that's just a function of the ALC889A and it's drivers. I couldn't find a data sheet on the Realtek webiste, but there is ALC889a info in other threads in this forum.
vkristof is offline  
post #279 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,189
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascot View Post

"Blu-ray/HD DVD Full Rate Audio Support
The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.

Why are they writing this?? Liars??

Can 780g do HD audio over 8-channel analogue? Thats all I need.

As I wrote in a previous post, every chipset and audio codec compliant with the Intel HD Audio specifications support 8-channel/24-bit/96kHz (192kHz?) analog audio (why you are asking it repeatedly is beyond me). The point of ALC889A is the support for 8-channel/24-bit/96kHz analog audio for protected contents.

Quote:


A Licensed Player shall not pass, or direct to be passed Decrypted AACS Content to a digital output except:
1.4.1 A digital output of audio, or of the audio portion of other forms of Decrypted AACS Content, in compressed audio format (such as AC3) or in Linear PCM format in which the transmitted information is sampled at no more than 48 kHz and no more than 16 bits.
1.4.2 An output delineated in Table D1, AACS Authorized Digital Outputs, in accordance with any associated restrictions and obligations specified
therein;

But this also requires the support from an application player (e.g. PowerDVD) and unfortunately PowerDVD does not support it right now (read here). The following figure may help you to get a basic idea of protected audio path.


LL

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #280 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Newbie
 
markc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the rest of my parts last night. Installed the pci sapphire 650 pro, pci wireless G, and the 500W Thernaltake PSU which just barely fit over the top of the arctic 64 pro HS. Installed disk 1 & 2 XP MCE '05, the chipset drivers, Norton, then online for 93 updates and MCE SP2. Incresed multiplier to 14; pushing the BE to an easy 2.8. Ran the window flash utility - bios F1 to F3E. Installed easy tune to see temps - cpu at 41 C. Basically went very smooth. Case is very quiet. Tonight I think I'll try hooking up to comcast cable and try out MCE & remote.

I'm still not sure how to see the temp of the NB. What are you guys using?
markc3 is offline  
post #281 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

As I wrote in a previous post, every chipset and audio codec compliant with the Intel HD Audio specifications support 8-channel/24-bit/96kHz (192kHz?) analog audio (why you are asking it repeatedly is beyond me). The point of ALC889A is the support for 8-channel/24-bit/96kHz analog audio for protected contents.


But this also requires the support from an application player (e.g. PowerDVD) and unfortunately PowerDVD does not support it right now (read here). The following figure may help you to get a basic idea of protected audio path.


Thanks for that overview. Do have link to a simple summation, maybe some PPT slides, of the ALC889a's capabilities?
vkristof is offline  
post #282 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Java Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post

Well some of us have our analog inputs all used up and a bunch of unused hdmi jacks just waiting for a pcm solution. Besides, routing one cable from my pc is a lot easier than 8.


What is connected to your multi-channel analog in?

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Java Jack is offline  
post #283 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,189
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Thanks for that overview. Do have link to a simple summation, maybe some PPT slides, of the ALC889a's capabilities?

I don't know it. Basically ALC889a = ALC885 in my mind.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #284 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Member
 
magnoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc3 View Post


I'm still not sure how to see the temp of the NB. What are you guys using?

AMD OverDrive

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_overdrive.aspx
magnoman is offline  
post #285 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Member
 
zenoicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RE: the undersized NB heatsink, I have to wonder what happened to the one in early photos of this board:

(click to enlarge)
zenoicus is offline  
post #286 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ChrisMorley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

RE: the undersized NB heatsink, I have to wonder what happened to the one in early photos of this board:

(click to enlarge)

Take a close look - it blocks the PCI-E x1 slot - although it looks like they could flip it around and it would clear. I have seen several 780 HS solutions that are two-tiered and clear the PCI-E x1...but GREAT find, and a GOOD question.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisMorley is offline  
post #287 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

I don't know it. Basically ALC889a = ALC885 in my mind.


Thanks. I had not looked at the audio codecs @ Realtek in quite a while.

Boy, they have all type of marketing names and features now! Some "FEATURES" are nothing more than complexity for the sake of DRM.

The 888S even has TWO independent S/PDIF-OUT converters, "one for nominal digital audio, the other one for digital audio output to a HDMI transmitter"

What a complicated web we weave...

How would a regular consumer every figure this gibberish out?!
vkristof is offline  
post #288 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ChrisMorley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

How would a regular consumer every figure this gibberish out?!

I try to stay out of the audiophile side. According to the Army my hearing sucks anyway. =) Probably due to that 800w Carvin full stack I used to stand in front of in HS...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisMorley is offline  
post #289 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

RE: the undersized NB heatsink, I have to wonder what happened to the one in early photos of this board:

(click to enlarge)

Now that's a good start for a NB heatsink in a limited volume enclosure with low airflow.

What happened is that the taller/better one costs more money than what is on the current boards. Maybe the heatsink will change, though there are probably plenty of MBs sitting in a container on a container ship in the Pacific right now. Or in the port of Long Beach/Los Angeles.
Or being trucked to Newegg right now, though they haven't popped on Newegg's web site yet.
vkristof is offline  
post #290 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Member
 
zenoicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Take a close look - it blocks the PCI-E x1 slot - although it looks like they could flip it around and it would clear. I have seen several 780 HS solutions that are two-tiered and clear the PCI-E x1...but GREAT find, and a GOOD question.

I thought so too--at first--but I think the perspective and angle of view in that photo is deceiving, and that if we were able to sight dead-on along the axis of the x1 slot, it'd show clearance for the backside of a card. (Or at least, so I hope it would--I just can't imagine Gigabyte would throw out board samples for reviewer scrutiny that are partly crippled by asinine heatsink placement). Also, if that heatsink didn't allow for card clearance, what is the point of those clipped fins closest to the x1 slot?
zenoicus is offline  
post #291 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ChrisMorley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, I'm having 0 issues with the current NB and SlienX 40mm fan in a high heat low flow environment...rock stable.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisMorley is offline  
post #292 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Member
 
magnoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Take a close look - it blocks the PCI-E x1 slot - although it looks like they could flip it around and it would clear. I have seen several 780 HS solutions that are two-tiered and clear the PCI-E x1...but GREAT find, and a GOOD question.

Interesting. Here is a photo the Gigabyte 8200 board. It shows what looks to be that very same heatsink flipped around just the way you describe.

image from:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...5460&Itemid=37'
LL
magnoman is offline  
post #293 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ChrisMorley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post

Interesting. Here is a photo the Gigabyte 8200 board. It shows what looks to be that very same heatsink flipped around just the way you describe.

image from:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...5460&Itemid=37'


I thought it looked familiar, I saw that pic on Fud...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisMorley is offline  
post #294 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

I try to stay out of the audiophile side. According to the Army my hearing sucks anyway. =) Probably due to that 800w Carvin full stack I used to stand in front of in HS...

Yeah! I stay out of it because I lost interest 20+ years ago. All I want is the SPDIF pipe to feed the audio to my AV receiver and for me to be able to control the volume.
W/O headaches.

I did notice that the integral speakers in my new Panny plasma sound worse than the integral speakers in my 4+ year old Sony-Baloney CRT RPTV. I'll probably have to switch the DVR feed over to the external speakers.

The plasma does do a much better job heating my den: I've started joking about plasma-assisted heat. It was 18 deg F outside this morning.
vkristof is offline  
post #295 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Bingo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

RE: the undersized NB heatsink, I have to wonder what happened to the one in early photos of this board:

(click to enlarge)

Actually, that design was initially released in China on the early revision boards. The problem was that it only allowed installation of a very select number of PCI Express 1.0 cards and they were worried about heat buildup on the backside of a graphics card. Anyway, the new heatsink design is not enough in my opinion and testing in a few SFF cases is starting to prove that out.
Bingo13 is offline  
post #296 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
crabnebula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Thanks. I had not looked at the audio codecs @ Realtek in quite a while.

Boy, they have all type of marketing names and features now! Some "FEATURES" are nothing more than complexity for the sake of DRM.

The 888S even has TWO independent S/PDIF-OUT converters, "one for nominal digital audio, the other one for digital audio output to a HDMI transmitter"

What a complicated web we weave...

How would a regular consumer every figure this gibberish out?!

This comparison table, although imperfect, was useful to me.
crabnebula is offline  
post #297 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Newbie
 
klinker21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

FYI, I'm having 0 issues with the current NB and SlienX 40mm fan in a high heat low flow environment...rock stable.

Chris - you mentioned in an earlier post that to attach the SlienX fan one would have to find some screws to mount it or use double sided wall-mount tape. Which did you use to attach to the NB? Thanks...
klinker21 is offline  
post #298 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ChrisMorley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinker21 View Post

Chris - you mentioned in an earlier post that to attach the SlienX fan one would have to find some screws to mount it or use double sided wall-mount tape. Which did you use to attach to the NB? Thanks...

I used screws bought from Home Depot. Unfortnuately I don't seem to have the packages so I can't remember what size they were - remember you an always cut them shorter if you need to.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisMorley is offline  
post #299 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Newbie
 
gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post

Interesting. Here is a photo the Gigabyte 8200 board. It shows what looks to be that very same heatsink flipped around just the way you describe.

image from:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...5460&Itemid=37'

there mor diffenrence than the filpped heatsink.
There two more USB connectors on the left (yeah! but why did they abandon them?) and a abundant lpt out.
and SPDIF is a coaxial one...
gumble is offline  
post #300 of 4430 Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,189
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumble View Post

there mor diffenrence than the filpped heatsink.
There two more USB connectors on the left (yeah! but why did they abandon them?) and a abundant lpt out.
and SPDIF is a coaxial one...

In this regard GA-M78UM-S2H GeForce 8300 (9200) board is closer to GA-MA78GM-S2H. (The rear panel is exactly identical.)

http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/65687.htm

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off