AVS Forum banner

The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread

1M views 4K replies 738 participants last post by  lankshire 
#1 ·
Ok, after a good run with this thread, it's time to start talking about the new hotness.

It's going to have the new UVD+ engine integrated into the onboard Radeon HD 3200 graphics. It's socket AM2+ so it supports all the latest AMD processors and interconnect technologies. It also supports Hybrid Crossfire and HybridFlash. Oh, and the Realtek ALC889A supports lossless codecs, so we'll see how true it is...

But of course the big news is 1080p H.264 and VC1 decode with very little CPU overhead.

Here's Gigabyte's page:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...=GA-MA78GM-S2H

#3,690 ·
well I've made a bit or progress....the extra noise was because I had accidentally left one of the fans switched to MEDIUM instead of LOW like the other one. So at least I am back to being quiet again.

Speedfan can control my CPU fan with no problem but it still cant control my 2 case fans, even though I have the BIOS set as you mention (most things at auto) and I've got another users settings for this motherboard loaded in speedfan too. Mmmmmm

#3,691 ·
Okay, nevermind all of the previous. Your problem is most likely that your fans are TRI-cool fans and they are hooked to the powersupply with an adapter. If this is the case, then you can't control them with normal things at all. They are set by the switch, and the only way to make them adjustable is to make an adapter to connect them to the motherboard fan header or get a fan speed controller that can vary the voltage to them. People who adjust their case fans automatically or with some software such as speedfan have these fans connected by the little 3 or 4 pin motherbaord fan headers, not by power supply adapters. IMHO there is nothing wrong with your setup. Those big fans can move plenty of air at the low setting, and are still very quiet. If you wanted to get something that would adjust to your motherboards temp sensor, you could get something like one of these

#3,692 ·
Lite on BD player, BE-2400 processor, Wintec 2G ddr 800 and a seagate 750 HDD. It sits behind doors in the entertainment center and is working great. I had a dvi to HDMI cable so I am using that and the analog out to connect to the TV. I watched part of Forbidden Kingdom last night and all works fine.

Next step is a decent HTPC case and maybe swapping the noisy seagate drive for a WD green power drive. I use the HDHR for tuning HD channels via QAM.

#3,694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart /forum/post/14951344

Okay, nevermind all of the previous. Your problem is most likely that your fans are TRI-cool fans and they are hooked to the powersupply with an adapter. If this is the case, then you can't control them with normal things at all. They are set by the switch, and the only way to make them adjustable is to make an adapter to connect them to the motherboard fan header or get a fan speed controller that can vary the voltage to them. People who adjust their case fans automatically or with some software such as speedfan have these fans connected by the little 3 or 4 pin motherbaord fan headers, not by power supply adapters. IMHO there is nothing wrong with your setup. Those big fans can move plenty of air at the low setting, and are still very quiet. If you wanted to get something that would adjust to your motherboards temp sensor, you could get something like one of these

right, that makes sense. I will have to check where my fans connect but I think it's to the PSU.

Now that they are back on LOW the volume has dropped a lot and Speedfan is running the CPU fan a lot slower too.

I was going to upgrade to a couple of scythes so good to know they can be adjusted via the program.

Thanks for the help :)

#3,695 ·
FWIW, I bought this board early this month to be a cheap Linux disk box (I have a few disks in random FireWire enclosures I wanted to avoid having to continually disconnect from my laptop) and an always-on server I can VNC into. Got it on sale at MicroCenter for $80(? IIRC) and it's performed well using an 89W 6000+ that I'm running at the stock 3.1GHz, and 6GB (soon to be 8) of Corsair memory I'm running at 4-4-4-12 2T with a divider of 7 so I'm getting DDR2/890.

I have the Rev 1.1 and it's been rock-solid. Unlike most here, I don't use the graphics adapter nor the audio so I can't comment on that, but the FireWire, Gig-E and AHCI controllers run perfectly with each kernel (started with Ubuntu Desktop Beta 8.10, then upgraded the kernel on my own to 2.6.27.4 and got rid of all those modules). Using the AMD GART IOMMU works perfectly for the 32-bit FireWire controller (I'd get SWIOMMU errors during hard use on my Intel-based laptop 'cause I'm running with 4GB); its why I'd tried an AMD CPU for the first time, as a matter of fact.

It is finicky on the E-SATA port, however, at 3Gbps- the only drive that worked reliably on it over several cases (some of these "real" units like the FreeAgent Pro that have E-SATA ports) was when I stuck a drive in that I could jumper to only 1.5GHz operation, and it hasn't had any further problems.

Cool-and-Quiet plus the in-kernel AMD k8 PowerNOW! driver work together as well and both the case and CPU fans throttle depending on load, the sensor daemon reads my cores, fans and temps OK (and yeah, I get that same bogus "NorthBridge" 80+C temp reading) and I even found a patch to let the IT87 chip's Watchdog Timer run so the system will reboot after any crashes (which seem really unlikely with this board so far).

If anyone running (or wanting to run) Linux on this thing have any questions, feel free to post here or E-mail me.

#3,696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by painhammer /forum/post/14947536

I got speedfan working sort of. I went to the advanced tab, chose the correct chipset, and turned PWM Mode 1 and PWM Mode 2 over to "Software control". Then I just messed with the temp and fans settings to tweak it.

I still can't get the fans to run constantly at a set speed, but they run when things get too hot.

I just wish there was a program that could set a fan to run at a certain minimum speed unless the temp goes over a certain degree, then the fan turns dynamic.

I just might grab a fan controller.

You just haven't configured SpeedFan properly. Go into Configure and click the Temperature tab. Select the Desired and Warning temperature of each component. Then go into the Speeds tab and select the Minimum Value and the Maximum Value of each Fan.

So, SpeedFan will configure your fans to run at the Minimum value if the temperatures are below the Desired value. If anything goes over the Desired value, SpeedFan will increase fans until the Maximum value. If things go over the Warning value, Speedfan puts all fans at 100%

#3,697 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart /forum/post/14951138

C&Q is to throttle the CPU up and down. You need to leave that ON. If it is off, the CPU will run at full speed regardless of whether it should be or not, and the consequence of fan noise is obvious.

I think the concensus for HTPC use is to turn C'n'Q off. Causes too many problems.

If you use an energy efficient CPU with a decent HSFU, fan noise will not be an issue.

#3,698 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffa001 /forum/post/14951717

right, that makes sense. I will have to check where my fans connect but I think it's to the PSU.

Now that they are back on LOW the volume has dropped a lot and Speedfan is running the CPU fan a lot slower too.

I was going to upgrade to a couple of scythes so good to know they can be adjusted via the program.

Thanks for the help :)

If you're getting some Scythes, grab the 800RPM Slipstreams

If you grab any higher RPM fan, things will be louder than the Tricools on Low

#3,699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/14952663

I think the concensus for HTPC use is to turn C'n'Q off. Causes too many problems.

If you use an energy efficient CPU with a decent HSFU, fan noise will not be an issue.

You can also use CrystalCPUID or RMClock to do the undervolting/underclocking for you as well instead of CnQ.

It allows for more flexiblity as well.

#3,700 ·
This motherboard works pretty well for me. It's stable and I haven't had any problems so far. Here's my setup:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) (Southbridge cooler replaced with a Zalman ZM-NB47J)

AMD 5000+ Black Edition (3.0 Ghz @ 1.275V, 1.6 Ghz @ 0.900V, 1.0 Ghz @ 0.800V via CrystalCPUID)

Noctua NH-U12P with Noctua NF-P12 @ 500RPM

Integrated HD3200 (750 Mhz)

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 PC2-6400 2x2GB

Western Digital SE16 640GB

Antec NSK3480 with Noctua NF-P12 @ 500RPM as exhaust

LG GH22NS30 DVD Writer

Antec Earthwatts 380W

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit with AMD/ATI Catalyst 8.10

#3,701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMango /forum/post/14952623

You just haven't configured SpeedFan properly. Go into Configure and click the Temperature tab. Select the Desired and Warning temperature of each component. Then go into the Speeds tab and select the Minimum Value and the Maximum Value of each Fan.

So, SpeedFan will configure your fans to run at the Minimum value if the temperatures are below the Desired value. If anything goes over the Desired value, SpeedFan will increase fans until the Maximum value. If things go over the Warning value, Speedfan puts all fans at 100%

I have tried to tweak the settings, but no matter what I do the "case" fans either run at zero or full speed. Let me post a few pics to show you what the settings are at.

Could it just be a driver issue since the board is kinda new? It seems like speedfan doesn't really touch the case fan but does fine with the CPU.

#3,702 ·
I've put an Nvidia graphics card onto this mobo >> primarily because it has resolved the HDMI handshake issue I had with ATI - I now run HDMI to HDMI from the card and it works perfect.

Question is - do I disable the Onboard VGA output control in BIOS? I cant see anything in the manual about this >> I just thought if it is disabled it would free up the RAM it uses for the HD3200?

Thanks

#3,704 ·
Yes its in the advanced bit in the BIOS. I know how to do, question was should I do it to free up some RAM? >> and its not going to leave me without a display?which would mean resetting the CMOS battery as you had to.

I just assume that because I am not using the onboard HD3200 I am safe to disable it and free up the RAM.

#3,705 ·
Having one hell of a time putting a system together using the 78GPM version of the board. I've tested all the other components in the system on other systems and everything else seems to be working fine, made up of 9850 Black Edition CPU, Corsair DDR2 800 2x1GB and a Cooler Master 650watt Real Power power supply. But this board just won't boot or output video on VGA/DVI or HDMI. So I return the board and get another and it acts the same way. Anyone else running one of these boards with a Cooler Master 650watt Real Power power supply? I think there may be some compatibility issues between these two that my work fine separately but not together. I don't know what to do next except try and replace the motherboard again and see if I just happened to get two bad ones in a row which is unlikely.

#3,706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/14967004

Having one hell of a time putting a system together using the 78GPM version of the board. I've tested all the other components in the system on other systems and everything else seems to be working fine, made up of 9850 Black Edition CPU, Corsair DDR2 800 2x1GB and a Cooler Master 650watt Real Power power supply. But this board just won't boot or output video on VGA/DVI or HDMI. So I return the board and get another and it acts the same way. Anyone else running one of these boards with a Cooler Master 650watt Real Power power supply? I think there may be some compatibility issues between these two that my work fine separately but not together. I don't know what to do next except try and replace the motherboard again and see if I just happened to get two bad ones in a row which is unlikely.

These mobo's are not very kind when big CPU's are installed, did u double check if the board can use the 9850? I know they had issues even with 2cores, never mind x4.. you may want to get the rev 2.0 board, that have enough to power up the 9850 125W.

#3,707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by painhammer /forum/post/14962157

I have tried to tweak the settings, but no matter what I do the "case" fans either run at zero or full speed. Let me post a few pics to show you what the settings are at.

Could it just be a driver issue since the board is kinda new? It seems like speedfan doesn't really touch the case fan but does fine with the CPU.

So far, your configs look about the same as mine. Speedfan works perfectly for me though. What's your setup atm? What's connected to the CPU fan header and the system fan header?

#3,708 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosmos /forum/post/14835702

I have tried searching through this thread to see if anyone else is having the same issue, but I haven't found anything. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.

My setup

AMD 4850e

3 gb ram

250gb WD hdd

LG Blue Ray/HD-DVD-rom & burner GGC-H20L

Envision 32" LCD

When watching hd (blue ray, hd-dvd, hdtv) I start to see white lines on my display and then my screen flickers between black and whatever I am watching. Sometimes it starts shortly after starting the video and sometimes it takes a while. It will calm down and stop 5-10 minutes after stopping the video. Normal dvd's play fine.

I take that back. It does happen with normal dvd's too.

I had the same problem today. But it wasn't while watching dvds/blu-ray. The white lines STAY on the screen. I wouldn't call them white lines as it seems to affect edges of text?? I'm not sure how to explain this either. I'm waiting for it to happen again since after turning off the PC for a short amount of time fixed the problem. I wonder if it's a heat issue or the onboard video is going???

#3,709 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMango /forum/post/14968098

So far, your configs look about the same as mine. Speedfan works perfectly for me though. What's your setup atm? What's connected to the CPU fan header and the system fan header?

I have my Vendetta 2 fan hooked up to my CPU fan header, and my three extra case fans hooked up to my system fan header (two at the front and one on the side). Those three extra fans are Antec fans that have both male and female 4 pin connectors so you can kinda chain them together onto a single connection. Which is what I am doing with them right now.

Could it be a voltage issue? Those three fans have turned on, but at max rpm's and only for a few seconds. My motherboard is ver 1.1 and the bios version is F8.

#3,710 ·
H8nXTC: try using only one ram module per dimm. that is, put one in the yellow and one in the red slot. you should at least be able to boot then. if not, try clearing the cmos (taking battery out and jumping it). i had a similar problem and am returning the board to get an entirely different one, probably asus with nvidia chipset. the goddamn thing would not load an operating system...after posting on 12 forums with no help, it was time for me to throw in the towel.

#3,711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by painhammer /forum/post/14968866

I have my Vendetta 2 fan hooked up to my CPU fan header, and my three extra case fans hooked up to my system fan header (two at the front and one on the side). Those three extra fans are Antec fans that have both male and female 4 pin connectors so you can kinda chain them together onto a single connection. Which is what I am doing with them right now.

Could it be a voltage issue? Those three fans have turned on, but at max rpm's and only for a few seconds. My motherboard is ver 1.1 and the bios version is F8.

So you daisy-chained three fans onto a single 4-pin fan header? Somehow, I think that's the problem. Try connecting only 1 fan to the 4-pin header of the motherboard and see if you can control it.

#3,712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/14967936

These mobo's are not very kind when big CPU's are installed, did u double check if the board can use the 9850? I know they had issues even with 2cores, never mind x4.. you may want to get the rev 2.0 board, that have enough to power up the 9850 125W.

The rev. 1 (only one out) of the PGM (this is the newer one with sideport memory) board is compatible with 140w CPUs and the 9850 is on the recognized list.

#3,713 ·
No, I think he's got the fans daisy-chained off the 4-pin molex PSU connectors, not the PWM fan header (definitely would have blown the header that way).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.