post #691 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall0p View Post

Has anyone booted linux on the 780G? Since the 8200 is not far off from the 780g preview results, which would be better for a myth htpc? Has the gigabyte 8200-based mobo been spotted in US retail stores?

Main difference is the 8200/8300 supports 8-channel LPCM over HDMI. The 780G supports only 2-channel LPCM over HDMI.

TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 04:36 PM

What sort of power supply do I need with this board.
Manual recommends 400W+
I had 430W Antec Power Supply which I tried however system would work for little while then power suuply would cut out (power off). I also tried with Shaw 550W with the same results.

The setup as follows:
ga-ma78gm-s2h
AMD AM2 5000+ CPU
Kingston 2G DDR2 800 Value Ram
post #693 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

"Annoying" is a polite understatement. I prefer, #*$&%!!!

So apparently to soon take advantage of the full benefits of a low-power Phenom, regardles of stepping, it's either an A13-certified 780G, or an MCP78-based board--or perhaps the 780M when that comes out (which will also support component video).

I have to say I now regret pulling the trigger on this board late the night of February 14, when I was shocked to find it not only listed at ClubIT, but in stock and ready to ship.

Before I found out about this A11-A12-A13 mess, I did concidentally pull my NB heatsink yesterday, just to remove the stock TIF--horrible, thick, rock hard gunk with dried bubbles in it!--so I could put something better in there. Used Zalman Thermal Grease--trying to use that stuff up--and there was an immediate and noticeable difference, the NB heatsink felt significantly warmer when I powered the board back up (although AOD reported just a 2°C drop). While I was at it, I wrote down my chip's identifying info:

0752 ENG
Made in Taiwan
P40868.00.W25
215-0674020

Now if only someone could pry loose from AMD the info that pegs chip identifiers to silicon versions. Being made the last week of last year, I sadly have to believe mine is A12 at best....

Incidentally, while I had the heatsink off I took a careful measurement of the mounting-hole span. It is precisely 74mm, just as I had figured a week or two back when I tried to measure it from above with the heatsink on. Thermalright confirmed to me today that the push-pin mounting bracket in their Chipset Bolt-thru-kit fits up to a 76mm spread, so for anyone with an older HR-05 heatsink (like me), this $5 accessory should allow that heatsink to be mounted on this board's NB. The newer TR chipset coolers, like the HR-05/IFX, already come with this longer slotted bracket.

I took the NB heatsink off to apply Arctic Silver 5 and here's what was on the NB:

0752 ENG
Made in Taiwan
P40870.00.W07
215-0674020

I'll be putting the system together this weekend
post #694 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

Unless I'm mistaken Bingo13 = Gary Key

"Gary Key" does respond to E-mails, so maybe Bingo13 is just passing along E-mailed info from Gary.

Or...

More importantly, what happened to the whole Rev12 vs 13 NB-silicon-might- affect-HT-mode-with-slow-clocked Phenoms POSSIBLE issue?
post #695 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I ordered the 5000 BE.

I'm hoping this CPU can probabaly be undervolted to similar levels as the 4850e (hope the board supports that!), since almost everyone reports it can run at 3.0 GHz at stock voltage and that it runs very cool.

If you undervolt it to 4850e levels and run it at 2.5 GHz, it will give the same power consumption as the 4850e, since power consumption is a function of voltage and frequency and they are both otherwise identical 65 nm Brisbane cores. Published TDPs are approximate and vary from unit to unit, since some can run at lower voltages than others. In other words, when you buy a 45W TDP CPU, that might be an upper limit, but it is not an exact figure.

Of course, it is likely that a good 4850e could be undervolted even further than a 5000 BE at the same clock speed, but with a little tweaking I believe the actual difference in heat/power consumption will end up being less than 20W. And The 5000 BE gives you a lot more flexibility if you ever need more processing power (eg, to transcode video or what not) or if you want to underclock/undervolt to even lower levels.

Thanks for that reasoning.
I was leaning towards stopping waiting for the 4850e and just buying the 5000 BE with the promo code. I just have to check that I still have the AM2 adapter gizmo for my "spare" heat sink. I ordered the AM2 variant by mistake when I bought an aftermarket Socket 939 HSF...
post #696 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Does anyone know what sort of power savings could be gained by going the mATX - integrated video route in terms of % wattage savings over, say, your average full size Intel P35 chipset ATX mobo with a low end graphics card such as an HD3450? If we're talking about something as large as 40%, this setup would seem much more attractive. But, I have my doubts as to how much savings can be actually gained by not having a low end video card. Thanks...
post #697 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post

Does anyone know what sort of power savings could be gained by going the mATX - integrated video route in terms of % wattage savings over, say, your average full size Intel P35 chipset ATX mobo with a low end graphics card such as an HD3450? If we're talking about something as large as 40%, this setup would seem much more attractive. But, I have my doubts as to how much savings can be actually gained by not having a low end video card. Thanks...

That's a good question, but I think you really should define the rest of the system.

I ASSUME you mean a system with a single HDD, and that the processors have relatively similar power dissipation. For example, you're not buying a 100W+ Opteron, which Newegg does carry...

I have a P35 system (genuine Intel brand) w/ a HD2400, but it has a Four drive RAID5 array in it and a separate Boot HDD. But I do own a Kill-a-watt meter, and a 3450 and a 780G...
post #698 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Well, strangely, I'm considering going the route of this motherboard with a cool 65W chip, or a full size ATX P35-based board with a cool 65W chip and something like a HD3450 low end video card. In either case, I'd have 2 HDDs and an optical drive, and that's pretty much it.

After all is said and done, what sort of wattage am I saving by going with this micro board and a similar chip vs an ATX board, chip, and low end GFX card?
post #699 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I realized that I can just leave the RAID5 array unpowered and measure the system power, so I can get closer to comparing what you want.

The efficiency of the power supplies will be different because the systems will be in two different cases.

More importantly, I haven't ordered the AMD CPU yet, so I won't be able to measure the 780G till next week.

But I guess I can measure the P35 system and you can compare it to what is listed for the 780G tests that are now available.

The Intel MB I have is a mATX, but that should be no different than an ATX. There is no (or minimal) circuitry added for the extra couple of slots. Maybe something to report the card present/power required signals from the extra PCI slots.
post #700 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I need to order my HTPC soon. This weekend/start of week so I get it all in time for my 2 weeks holidays.

Basically I think it would be best if I get the Giga board and have HT3.0 fully working. I plan on using DTS connect and will be doing 5.1 audio re sampling with Reclock.

The 4850e and Phenom 9100e are not availabe here in Australia yet. So I was looking at the Phenom 9500 which will give me HT3.0 and good performance.

Is there a cheaper alternative?
post #701 of 4430 Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 PM

I have a few questions regarding the setting my new HTPC with my HDTV Sharp LC-42d64u. If you can help me figure this out, I'd be greatly appreciated. Here's my set up:

CPU: 5400+ 65nm
MB: 780g gigabyte
RAM: 4GB
Windows Vista x86
BIOS: F3e
ATI 8.3 CCC
Chipset, audio and lan drivers are straight from gigabyte website. Sharp TV is updated to the newest firmware.

So for the life of me, I can't get the HDMI connection from the PC to the TV to work (cable is working fine). No signal, zip, zero,... nada. In the bios, I did set the D-sub/HDMI to be present (not D-sub/DVI). Mind you, the d-sub/dvi works perfectly fine with both VGA and DVI. I don't know if there's any special switch (hardware or software).

Thanks in advance.

Allston
post #702 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM

Can someone explain to me in simple words what HT 3.0 is?
post #703 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Thanks for that reasoning.
I was leaning towards stopping waiting for the 4850e and just buying the 5000 BE with the promo code. I just have to check that I still have the AM2 adapter gizmo for my "spare" heat sink. I ordered the AM2 variant by mistake when I bought an aftermarket Socket 939 HSF...

Just a quick followup about voltage on the 5000 BE. As I anticipated this thing undervolts very well. I'm using RMClock in Windows for this.

Basically, I've got it down:

Idling at 1.0GHZ with Vcore 0.78V
Full load at 2.6GHz with Vcore 1.20V (I think it can still go a little lower but this is already in the territory of the 4850e)

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this over the 4850e if you're willing to spend a few hours tweaking with RMClock.

Besides that, the board runs great. Haven't tested video yet but did notice for some reason I don't have access to advanced deinterlacing nor sharpening in the Catalyst Control Panel using the latest 8.3 drivers. Not sure what gives.

More to come...
post #704 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 AM

Hello all...

I just purchased a GA-MA78GM-S2H and it wont display above 800x600 on my 42"LCD TV!

I am going nuts tryin got get this thing to work properly so if anyone has suggestion I would very much appreciate it. For those about to purchase - be warned!

My setup:
GA-MA78GM-S2H
2Gb
AMD LE-1150
DVI->HDMI Cable
TEAC LCD4235A 1080p TV (with updated BIOS supporting 1:1 pixel mapping).

OK, a quick bit of history. The TEAC LCD TV was running happily at 1920x1080 on my old HTPC which ran a ATI 9700 PRO using the same cable etc as above. Also I have tested the GA-MA78GM-S2H on my Dell 2405 at 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 and it works just fine. So...

There seems to be nothing wrong with the TEAC or GA-MA78GM-S2H functionally. The DVI output works on the GA-MA78GM-S2H and the cable itself works fine.

My current conclusion is that something is fishy in the land of HDMI comms... some form of incompatibility between the two.

I have this whole drama posted on another forum which attracted another owner who is having the same problem but with a 42" Toshiba Regza 1080p.

I have opened support tickets with Gigabyte and AMD and predicably... no useful response at all at present.

Super-geeks of the world - PLEASE HELP... I am at witts end... cheers!
post #705 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby View Post

I just purchased a GA-MA78GM-S2H and it wont display above 800x600 on my 42"LCD TV!

I don't own this board but I think I know the problem.

I am guessing that this is a multi-monitor issue. When you switch resolutions, the signal is only being output to the HDMI connection and not to the DVi connection.

The DVI connection is probably the secondary monitor connection. The HMDI is probably the primary monitor connection. With lower resolutions, this issue does not manifest itself and both connections are used.

When you are in 800X600 mode, go into the Catalyst Control Center and check your monitor properties. Make sure that the DVI connection that you are using is the primary monitor. Then, change the resolution to what you want.

Either that, or just get an HDMI cable.

This should be easily fixed.

Affable Nitwit
post #706 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I don't own this board but I think I know the problem.
The DVI connection is probably the secondary monitor connection. The HMDI is probably the primary monitor connection. With lower resolutions, this issue does not manifest itself and both connections are used.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it will work in this instance as you must set the output in the BIOS (either DVI or HDMI)... it cannot run both DVI and HDMI at the same time.

I do intend on getting a HDMI cable tomorrow to test it in anycase but I don't hold out much hope of a different outcome.
post #707 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby View Post

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it will work in this instance as you must set the output in the BIOS (either DVI or HDMI)... it cannot run both DVI and HDMI at the same time.

I do intend on getting a HDMI cable tomorrow to test it in anycase but I don't hold out much hope of a different outcome.

OK. Then the VGA output might be the primary output.

Try it.

I had this problem in the past. I had to hook up an old monitor to the VGA output until I could enable the DVI connection on my system.

Affable Nitwit
post #708 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

OK. Then the VGA output might be the primary output.

Thanks again. I did have a second monitor attached at one point. Catalyst is pretty good at allowing you to swap primary monitors, disable attached one etc. I have tried various iterations of that to no avail.

Thanks for the idea however... no harm in exploring all options.
post #709 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a quick followup about voltage on the 5000 BE. As I anticipated this thing undervolts very well. I'm using RMClock in Windows for this.

Basically, I've got it down:

Idling at 1.0GHZ with Vcore 0.78V
Full load at 2.6GHz with Vcore 1.20V (I think it can still go a little lower but this is already in the territory of the 4850e)

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this over the 4850e if you're willing to spend a few hours tweaking with RMClock.

Besides that, the board runs great. Haven't tested video yet but did notice for some reason I don't have access to advanced deinterlacing nor sharpening in the Catalyst Control Panel using the latest 8.3 drivers. Not sure what gives.

More to come...

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, I just measured my Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 HSF. It's ~ 4" high from the top of the motherboard, but the new low-profile case only has about ~3" of room.

So...I'll look at some of the AMD HSFs I have and see if those are 3" or below...
post #710 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, I just measured my Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 HSF. It's ~ 4" high from the top of the motherboard, but the new low-profile case only has about ~3" of room.

So...I'll look at some of the AMD HSFs I have and see if those are 3" or below...

FWIW a 4000+ retail cpu arrived yesterday; the AMD HSF is 2 3/8" high. A little under 3x3" footprint. I hope to get this on the ECS 780g mb today.

Questions:

Does AMD have specs on the HSFs they supply with retail processors?

Are all Brisbane 65nm processors physically the same except for the multiplier and production quality variation?
post #711 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you would need a quad core chip that fully supports HT3.0 in order to do any post-processing like that.
post #712 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumka View Post

What sort of power supply do I need with this board.
Manual recommends 400W+
I had 430W Antec Power Supply which I tried however system would work for little while then power suuply would cut out (power off). I also tried with Shaw 550W with the same results.

The setup as follows:
ga-ma78gm-s2h
AMD AM2 5000+ CPU
Kingston 2G DDR2 800 Value Ram

I use an Antec Earthwatt 430 Watt PSU- my system has: GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780, 95 watt Phenom 9500, one 1TB SATA drive, one 750GB SATA drive, one optical drive, one 120mm rear case fan, one 80mm front case fan, 80mm CPU cooler fan.
Absolutely no problems with the 430 Watt Antec PSU.
If I feel the air coming out of my PSU's exhaust fan... it's just at room temperature, to me that indicates the 430 watt PSU is just cruising along under low stress on my system.
Try underclocking your ram a little, not all ram runs at top speed with every MB. Did you set your BIOS at "fails safe" default or are you using the high performance "optimal" settings? Also, my board came with the F1 bios, I immediately upgraded to the F3e bios- if that helps. Maybe you have a bad MB?

OT: Currently overclocking the Phenom 9500 (native 2200mhz) at 2508+Mhz at stock voltage- completely stable at 14% overclock. Ran it at 2650Mhz (20% overclock) last night- but it crashed at high cpu loadings, so I backed it down to 2508. The Phenom 9500 runs very cool, even with all four cores maxed out at 95-100% transcoding mpeg2 to mp4 video for 10 hours core temps never went over 100F.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #713 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 AM

Wondering if anyone else have experienced any boot issues on XP Professional SP2 with systems built on this motherboard. On the XP splash screen, the progress bar stops after scrolling 3 times for 15 secs of so. Then windows proceeds and loads fine.

I think XP is either loading drivers or checking devices. Any ideas on what might cause this or how to debug it? Thanks in advance

System spec:
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD X2 5000 BE
2 GB DDR 667 ram
1 Seagate SATA 160 GB drive
Antec NSK2480 Case with 380W PSU
Windows XP SP2 Professional
post #714 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post

FWIW a 4000+ retail cpu arrived yesterday; the AMD HSF is 2 3/8" high. A little under 3x3" footprint. I hope to get this on the ECS 780g mb today.

Questions:

Does AMD have specs on the HSFs they supply with retail processors?

Are all Brisbane 65nm processors physically the same except for the multiplier and production quality variation?

Thanks. I measured one of the AMD supplied socket 939 HSFs and it WAS below 3 inches.

I think AMD SHOULD provide the dimesnions, whether they do is left to the reader...

I'll just swap my HSFs around and use the factory stock one in the new low-profile case along with 5000 BE and Newegg promo code.

Unless the 4850es have turned up in stock...
post #715 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron2 View Post

Wondering if anyone else have experienced any boot issues on XP Professional SP2 with systems built on this motherboard. On the XP splash screen, the progress bar stops after scrolling 3 times for 15 secs of so. Then windows proceeds and loads fine.

I think XP is either loading drivers or checking devices. Any ideas on what might cause this or how to debug it? Thanks in advance

System spec:
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD X2 5000 BE
2 GB DDR 667 ram
1 Seagate SATA 160 GB drive
Antec NSK2480 Case with 380W PSU
Windows XP SP2 Professional

Mine doesn't stop scrolling on the progress bar, but I have noticed it does scroll for a longer period of time than some of my other computers do. I do think that is kind of strange being a quad core processor and all, but I guess at that early boot stage- XP is not using any drivers that take advantage of the quad core capabilities so it's most likely booting at the same speed as a lowly standard single core 2.2Ghz CPU- that's my theory anyway

Did you do a virgin XP install (delete partition, create new partition, format, etc...) with the new MB or was it over and existing OS on that drive?
Did you install the drivers from the DVD that came with the MB?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #716 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post

Which boards will be covered in the roundup?
Thanks,
CFC

Gigabyte, ASUS (two), J&W, and possibly the ECS 780G. My ECS board went south on me this morning and the replacement will not arrive until Monday afternoon. I had the base testing done on it, was working on Phenom compatibility and the board rolled over and died. It happens at times with all boards, not going to read anything into it yet.

The comparison board is the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI based on the G35 chipset and an NV7150 board from MSI. The GeForce 8200 is out until NV provides final drivers. I will go over that bit of news later today.
post #717 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:

More to come...

You need a Phenom for those options.
post #718 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Something else to consider is that AHCI mode is disabled by default for the SATA interface.

An XP install may require the old "hit F6 to specify additional drivers" to get it working in AHCI mode. I installed from a CD with SP2 slipstreamed but I didn't enable AHCI in the BIOS first, so I'm not sure if SP2's SATA drivers will work or not. Vista supports AHCI out of the box, just make sure to enable it in the BIOS before installing.

If Windows was installed with SATA in IDE mode, then switching the BIOS to AHCI later on will result in a BSOD.

In Vista, this looks pretty easy to switch modes: support.microsoft.com/kb/922976. There seem to be a few guides for making this happen with XP, but they are more involved and I have yet to mess with it.

I'm sure some will read this and think "well...duh" but I smacked myself in the head over this and thought I might save someone the hassle by posting.
post #719 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHofferle View Post

Something else to consider is that AHCI mode is disabled by default for the SATA interface.

An XP install may require the old "hit F6 to specify additional drivers" to get it working in AHCI mode. I installed from a CD with SP2 slipstreamed but I didn't enable AHCI in the BIOS first, so I'm not sure if SP2's SATA drivers will work or not.

I turned AHCI mode on in BIOS before my XP Pro (SP2 Slipstream) install, and It couldn't find a hard drive on my system. I think you're correct JHofferle- you probably have to "hit F6 to specify additional drivers" to get it working in AHCI mode with XP- even from a SP2 Slipstreamed install CD. I just left SATA in native IDE mode and it installed properly w/the SP2 Slipstreamed install CD.

post #720 of 4430 Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcgmc View Post

Vkristof:

I have my new 780g board sitting here also waiting for a cpu I wan't either the 4850e or the new low power phenom. I looked high and low on the net last night and no one has them is stock yet hopefully we do not have too much longer to wait. Did you ever buy that low dollar case with from newegg? If so I would love to hear your impression of it.

On antoher note no one has talked about the heat problem with the gigabyte board recently. Has this issue been fixed with the new bios or does it still require a fan on the heatsink?

Yes I received the Inwin case a couple of days ago and opened it yesterday to measure the CPU HSF clearance. The cover came off easily, the case fan unscrewed w/ one screw, the motherboard dropped, nothing seemed to be broken. I haven't screwed anything back in place yet.

I grew tired of waiting and ordered 5000 BE. The Newegg promo code (EMCADBBAD) still worked a couple of hours ago. I'll use the 5000 BE with a stock AMD socket 939 A64 HSF to fit it in the LP case.

I did look at the Phenom 9500, but did not want to spend more than double what I paid for the 5000 BE.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page