Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vkit View Post

... like others, my northbridge seems to run very hot. Speedfan says 80C; I know others have said that's incorrect. But I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this problem (I think others have asked this before). Is everyone here getting a hot NB, and if so, just living with it, or are you all adding new heatsinks and stuff? ...

Yes, just touching the NB heatsink shows its running warmer than you'd expect.

And we can't seem to get a definitive answer to whether its actually as hot as its being reported to be.

But it doesn't appear to be a problem.

I run both of mine as supplied, and I've never seen even a suggestion of a hint of a symptom that indicates the NB is running too hot. It just sits there at just over 80C no matter what I do.

Gigabyte wouldn't be continuing to sell them if it was a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-D View Post

Yes, just touching the NB heatsink shows its running warmer than you'd expect.

And we can't seem to get a definitive answer to whether its actually as hot as its being reported to be.

But it doesn't appear to be a problem.

I run both of mine as supplied, and I've never seen even a suggestion of a hint of a symptom that indicates the NB is running too hot. It just sits there at just over 80C no matter what I do.

It appears to be an issue with all the 780G boards. I have the ASUS M3A-H/HDMI and the NB runs hot on that too. It has a HUGE copper heatsink on it, though. Completely massive compared to the Gigabyte one. Still gets quite warm, though. I have a fan blowing across it, which then also blows across the components surrounding the CPU.
post #1893 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Clamrade where did you buy the SPDIF optical/coax bracket? I wanted to get one

post #1894 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

HELP!!
I have a few HDMI output questions...

I hooked up my PC to my TV with HDMI last night. Very nice picture and the sound worked perfectly. HOwever there were some problems.

1. I hooked up the PC through the Onkyo 705 which worked but the video picked up that it was connected to the receiver and not the tv so it didnt adjust the resolution to match the TV. I had to manually set it to 1080P @ 60. Is this normal when using a receiver?

2. when I played DVD's with windows media center on full screen resolution the video was very choppy. it would stutter and it seemed like some images would get stuck and then keep flashing even after the scene had passed. If I minimized the window it played fine, the problem was only at full screen size. Any thoughts?
post #1895 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpee View Post

1.) Is there a solution yet regarding network not coming back up after S3 standby?

I have static IP set and after resuming, no traffic.. I try to ping and get "error in transit".. Is it something to do with "away mode" or should I untick "allow computer to turn this device off to save power"... or maybe try F4 beta BIOS ?

In desparation I was about to try the F4 BIOS when I thought of an intermediate step - reset the BIOS to default settings - I chose "optimized".

Since doing so the machine has woken from standby with networking intact every time !!!!

But why ? Was it that I had disabled lots of stuff in the BIOS - floppy/parallel/serial/firewire ? or was it that I hadn't done a reset since installing the F3 BIOS ?

Give it a try.
post #1896 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I am, however, not having too great of an experience; like others, my northbridge seems to run very hot. Speedfan says 80C; I know others have said that's incorrect. But I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this problem (I think others have asked this before). Is everyone here getting a hot NB, and if so, just living with it, or are you all adding new heatsinks and stuff? I'm not too bad with computers, but I've never dealt with more than slapping in a chip, putting the heatsink on it, ram in, connect it and it runs. This is really bugging me; do I need to work on it more or has everyone found it to run fine as it is (the way I sort of expected a motherboard to run in the first place!)

Mine runs damn hot to the touch but I have never had any problems at all while playing 1080p or anything else graphics intensive.
post #1897 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

OK, you are wrong. The signal level of pin 3 is 0.5V-1V.

There are several people who connected the internal S/PDID header of GA-G33M-DS2R/GA-MA69GM-S2H (the same 5-pin header of the same electrical specifications and the same audio codec ALC889A as GA-MA78GM-S2H) to GeForce 8-Series graphics cards (having a 2-pin S/PDIF connector for HDMI audio) and succeeded in getting HDMI audio, meaning that pin 3's signal level is 0.5V-1V. For example read

- Gainward 8600GT HDMI crackling and popping. DarkCloud's mb is GA-G33M-DS2R (no external S/PDIF port), the graphics card is Gainward GeForce 8600 GT HDMI.

Apparently 5V is supplied by pin 1 (Power). Since GIGABYTE recommends the same S/PDIF in and out cable (Part No. 12CR1-1SPINO-11/R) for all the above three motherboards, their 5-pin S/PDIF headers are exactly identical (physically and electrically). That's the end of the story.

BTW is there really a motherboard whose internal S/PDIF pin supplies only 5V signal? Have you seen such a motherboard lately? If so, let me the model name (just from curiosity).

I have no problem being wrong, but your reasoning is flawed. "Working" does not mean that the signal voltage does not exceed the specs. Overvoltage signal often does not result in malfunction. I already said that it seems to work for many and that it's believable. I am not discouraging you from doing that. I just know the SPDIF specs and what it take to drive a red LED. I wasn't comfortable with it and bought a real SPDIF bracket. I've taken it apart and saw a resistor inline. I'm just passing info, not a recommendation.
post #1898 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armpowered View Post

In desparation I was about to try the F4 BIOS when I thought of an intermediate step - reset the BIOS to default settings - I chose "optimized".

Since doing so the machine has woken from standby with networking intact every time !!!!

But why ? Was it that I had disabled lots of stuff in the BIOS - floppy/parallel/serial/firewire ? or was it that I hadn't done a reset since installing the F3 BIOS ?

Give it a try.

Well, i had the same problem. I tried all suggestions posted in this thread without succes. And just now i tried loading optimized settings in the BIOS (i use the original BIOS) and after that the NIC was ok after standby. Also after setting standby back to S3, disabling a lot and setting back everything like it was (as far as i can remember) it still works. I don't get it, but it works. Strange...
post #1899 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

HELP!!
I have a few HDMI output questions...

I hooked up my PC to my TV with HDMI last night. Very nice picture and the sound worked perfectly. HOwever there were some problems.

1. I hooked up the PC through the Onkyo 705 which worked but the video picked up that it was connected to the receiver and not the tv so it didnt adjust the resolution to match the TV. I had to manually set it to 1080P @ 60. Is this normal when using a receiver?

2. when I played DVD's with windows media center on full screen resolution the video was very choppy. it would stutter and it seemed like some images would get stuck and then keep flashing even after the scene had passed. If I minimized the window it played fine, the problem was only at full screen size. Any thoughts?

Make sure to not have any other programs sitting on your desktop open I had a small issue with that. The scene would run fine but would have extra stuff in the background. I can tell you videoredo was open when I tried to play and whatever scene was up in that app bleed to the play back, full screen or not.
As for small screen working and full size not that sounds like maybe your processor is maxed out. What % does your chip run at when playing a movie?
post #1900 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the replies on how you've all been handling the NB situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-D View Post

Or it might not be a large enough problem yet.
But I do feel a bit better knowing that at least a few people have been playing with this motherboard stock and it's not causing problems. I might wait for my case to come before I start to really use it, and then try to get some good airflow in there.
BTW, has anyone gotten word from Gigabyte/any of the 780G chipset board makers about this issue? I'd like to at least know why it reports 80C, which I think is incorrect, and know the real temp. I'm going to email Gigabyte about it and see if they know anything.
post #1901 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggachu View Post

I just had this problem when trying to set up my system last night. Same error code, blank screen. I only solved it by trying a single RAM module, which allowed me to enter the bios and bump up the voltage on the RAM by 0.3V. Then both sticks worked, but only for a little bit before it crapped out again. Right now I have it running on a single stick. This motherboard has mucho issues.

Turned out to be two faulty (or maybe incompatible) sticks of RAM. Swapped them with some others and it's flying along now.

The packaging had all ready been opened (and perhaps sat on) when it turned up, so I had my doubts.

Thanks for your help.
post #1902 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I'd like to at least know why it reports 80C, which I think is incorrect, and know the real temp. I'm going to email Gigabyte about it and see if they know anything.

No idea why it reports that temperature but I'm pretty certain that it isn't the temperature. If you look at the value as soon as you can after boot, it is already high and the value doesn't change much as the northbridge heats up.

I've had a digital thermometer stuck on the heatsink and the highest temperature I've recorded is just over 60C in a case with no fans. In a case with moderate extraction it gets to 50+C and now, in a case with a fan blowing down on the heatsink with air drawn through a grille in the case lid (view case), it reaches low 40s Celsius under load.

I suppose it's not surprising that it's hot considering it's acting as a reasonable spec. graphics card.

Interestingly the temperature it reached was to some extent dependant on the software being used - I used the Blu Ray "Close Encounters" to do case/cooling checks before calling my HTPC built. With PowerDVD, CPU usage averaged around 55% (2400-BE) and a cooler NB, with Arcsoft Total Media Theatre CPU averaged 20-25% but a much warmer NB.

I've assumed that TMT was passing more of the decoding to the GPU, anyone know if this is possible (both using hardware acceleration, supposedly)?

In fact, in general what CPU usage do people get playing HD DVD/Blu Ray? All those glowing reviews I read before buying were talking of 20% or so but the first HD DVD I tried (Bourne Supremacy) averaged around 65% - which made me think I had something wrong - but I've used updated PowerDVD/graphics drivers and not seen a big improvement.
post #1903 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag2 View Post

And just now i tried loading optimized settings in the BIOS (i use the original BIOS) and after that the NIC was ok after standby. Also after setting standby back to S3, disabling a lot and setting back everything like it was (as far as i can remember) it still works. I don't get it, but it works. Strange...

It is odd, I'm going to gradually disable unused motherboard features to see if a particular one is the cause - though I have a feeling it's some general BIOS/hardware crossed wires and will hopefully not see it again !
post #1904 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:

No idea why it reports that temperature but I'm pretty certain that it isn't the temperature. If you look at the value as soon as you can after boot, it is already high and the value doesn't change much as the northbridge heats up.

I've had a digital thermometer stuck on the heatsink and the highest temperature I've recorded is just over 60C in a case with no fans. In a case with moderate extraction it gets to 50+C and now, in a case with a fan blowing down on the heatsink with air drawn through a grille in the case lid (view case), it reaches low 40s Celsius under load.

I suppose it's not surprising that it's hot considering it's acting as a reasonable spec. graphics card.

Interestingly the temperature it reached was to some extent dependant on the software being used - I used the Blu Ray "Close Encounters" to do case/cooling checks before calling my HTPC built. With PowerDVD, CPU usage averaged around 55% (2400-BE) and a cooler NB, with Arcsoft Total Media Theatre CPU averaged 20-25% but a much warmer NB.

I've assumed that TMT was passing more of the decoding to the GPU, anyone know if this is possible (both using hardware acceleration, supposedly)?

In fact, in general what CPU usage do people get playing HD DVD/Blu Ray? All those glowing reviews I read before buying were talking of 20% or so but the first HD DVD I tried (Bourne Supremacy) averaged around 65% - which made me think I had something wrong - but I've used updated PowerDVD/graphics drivers and not seen a big improvement.

Cool, that's all good to know. The case I bought has a vent near the top of the case, but I don't remember if a fan can go there (it's rma'd right now). Seemed to me that one could, that there would be no other reason to have that vent there. It looked to me like it would probably hit the NB, so I'm glad for that. Sorta worried about the case itself, everything was a VERY close fit when I had it assembled before, and that's only going to add to the heat problems. But I'm sure once I get some fans on that sucker I'll be good.
post #1905 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Hi,

My GA-MA78GM-S2H is having some serious issues. Whatever memory I install I am able to install Vista, but after about 5 to 20 minutes of system uptime it just shuts down. It is as if someone suddenly turned the power off.

I've tried these modules, of which at least 1 is explicitely listed as supported on Gigabyte's website http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...ma78gm-s2h.pdf

OCZ - OCZ2G8002GK
ELIXIR - M2Y1G64TU8HB4B-25C
Kingston - KVR667D2N5/2G

My local pc store says the board is probably defective and I should return it as RMA. Although I think i'm going to be doing this I am confused as to why the symptomps occur only after time and not immediately. Anyone that has any insight or perhaps the same experiences?
post #1906 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Liked: 11
I hate to say it, because everyone said it to me when I was having RAM problems, but have you considered the PSU might be the issue here? Also, be sure and try the supported RAM in all four slots just to eliminate that as a possible cause.
post #1907 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post

I hate to say it, because everyone said it to me when I was having RAM problems, but have you considered the PSU might be the issue here? Also, be sure and try the supported RAM in all four slots just to eliminate that as a possible cause.

I do not believe the PSU to be the issue. It has worked flawlesly in another system for over a year. It's a Antec Phantom 500.

I also do not see why all four slots have to be occupied. Running it with 1, 2 or 4 slots occupied is supported according to the manual.

Meanwhile, the problems remain.
post #1908 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Berry View Post

Hi,

My GA-MA78GM-S2H is having some serious issues. Whatever memory I install I am able to install Vista, but after about 5 to 20 minutes of system uptime it just shuts down. It is as if someone suddenly turned the power off.

I've tried these modules, of which at least 1 is explicitely listed as supported on Gigabyte's website http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...ma78gm-s2h.pdf

OCZ - OCZ2G8002GK
Kingston - KVR667D2N5/2G

My local pc store says the board is probably defective and I should return it as RMA. Although I think i'm going to be doing this I am confused as to why the symptomps occur only after time and not immediately. Anyone that has any insight or perhaps the same experiences?

I can tell you I had the exact same symptoms on a another system. After 3 weeks of troubleshooting I couldn't figure out what it was. The next day, the computer shutdown again on its own and never turned back on. I pulled the PS, ran it through a PS tester and verified it was dead. It was a 5 month old OCZ 600Watt.
post #1909 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Berry View Post

Hi,

OCZ - OCZ2G8002GK
Kingston - KVR667D2N5/2G

It sounds like bad power supply, but it could also be due to bad thermal contact between the cpu and heat sink. Your system might slowly be heating up until the protection limit it hit and it shuts off. Similar happened to me while playing 1080p movies.
post #1910 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago View Post

It sounds like bad power supply, but it could also be due to bad thermal contact between the cpu and heat sink. Your system might slowly be heating up until the protection limit it hit and it shuts off. Similar happened to me while playing 1080p movies.

What protection limit? I have disabled all thermal protection in the BIOS. I'm running a 4850e with the stock cooler. Is it still protected from overheating then? (or should it just burn down ).

Or are you talking about protection inside the PSU? There is a settings on the PSU allowing me to set the amount of noise it makes by selecting when the fan kicks in. Let's fiddle with that and see what happens.
post #1911 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Wasn't there a post about someone's NB cooler not being seated properly? Could this be the overheat -> shutdown culprit?
post #1912 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarton13 View Post

Clamrade where did you buy the SPDIF optical/coax bracket? I wanted to get one

I bought it at ebuyx.com for $3.54, but the shipping was like $15. I ended up buying a few input brackets and a few output brackets, so it wasn't too bad.
post #1913 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Getting closer!

AMD tells me the maximum temperature for the 4850e is 78 degrees celcius. EasyTune tells me it is running between 82 and 88 degrees, so I'm almost possitive that at some point the system shuts down to protect the CPU.

It seems weird that the stock cooler is not able to properly cool the system. I'll reseat everything and see if that changes this behaviour.

Thanks all for thinking allong.
post #1914 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBrian View Post

Make sure to not have any other programs sitting on your desktop open I had a small issue with that. The scene would run fine but would have extra stuff in the background. I can tell you videoredo was open when I tried to play and whatever scene was up in that app bleed to the play back, full screen or not.
As for small screen working and full size not that sounds like maybe your processor is maxed out. What % does your chip run at when playing a movie?

I didn't have any other programs running.

According to Process explorer the CPU was running at about 10% - 15% while the DVD was playing so I dont think that is the issue.

I really dont know why this would happen when only on full screen mode.
post #1915 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Can anybody help me figure out how to pass stereo audio through my HDMI output? I would like to simply connect my PC to my HDTV with one cable since I do not currently have a separate receiver or high quality audio options.

I have seen elsewhere in this thread that this board supports 2 channel sound over HDMI, but I cant get it configured on my system. When I go to manage audio devices in Control Panel a dialog pops up that shows my Realtek HDMI Output is disconnected, even though I am viewing the PC via HDMI (not DSub or DVI).

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but it has become difficult to search this thread with sixty-something pages.

Thanks
post #1916 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

when I played DVD's with windows media center on full screen resolution the video was very choppy. it would stutter and it seemed like some images would get stuck and then keep flashing even after the scene had passed. If I minimized the window it played fine, the problem was only at full screen size. Any thoughts?

Check your screen modes for desktop/in media center, they might have different refresh rates upsetting things.

Also (possibly unrelated, not sure what Media Center does when minimized) be aware that Media Centre and Media Player can be using different codecs.

Do you have any extra (with codecs) software installed ?

I've also decided that Vista's built in mpeg codec isn't very good, it doesn't seem to cope well with DigiTV recordings nor some commercial DVDs - jerky, frame dropping etc.

After experimenting with PowerDVD, Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, ffdshow and Nero, I 've left the Nero codec as standard for Media Center, it just seemed (for me, with the files/DVDs I've tried) to give the best results.
post #1917 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhensley View Post

Can anybody help me figure out how to pass stereo audio through my HDMI output? I would like to simply connect my PC to my HDTV with one cable since I do not currently have a separate receiver or high quality audio options.

I have seen elsewhere in this thread that this board supports 2 channel sound over HDMI, but I cant get it configured on my system. When I go to manage audio devices in Control Panel a dialog pops up that shows my Realtek HDMI Output is disconnected, even though I am viewing the PC via HDMI (not DSub or DVI).

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but it has become difficult to search this thread with sixty-something pages.

Thanks

You can disable and then reenable the HDMI audio device which will bring the sound back, but it might go away again. I loaded the 8.3 graphics drivers to fix the problem.
post #1918 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check your screen modes for desktop/in media center, they might have different refresh rates upsetting things.

Also (possibly unrelated, not sure what Media Center does when minimized) be aware that Media Centre and Media Player can be using different codecs.

Do you have any extra (with codecs) software installed ?

I've also decided that Vista's built in mpeg codec isn't very good, it doesn't seem to cope well with DigiTV recordings nor some commercial DVDs - jerky, frame dropping etc.

After experimenting with PowerDVD, Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, ffdshow and Nero, I 've left the Nero codec as standard for Media Center, it just seemed (for me, with the files/DVDs I've tried) to give the best results.

I did check the refresh rates and I was pretty sure that the ATI Catalyst said it was 1080P @ 60 which should work fine on my TV.

I dont have any additional codecs installed, only what Vista came with pre-loaded. I thought about trying powerdvd (since it has a free trial) but I was hoping that just the WMC would work.

I have heard about codecs like the CCCP and K-lite but I havent downloaded any of them. If I decide to use powerDVD I wouldnt need any additional codecs right?
post #1919 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago View Post

You can disable and then reenable the HDMI audio device which will bring the sound back, but it might go away again. I loaded the 8.3 graphics drivers to fix the problem.

No luck...I tried disabling and then enabling the device a couple of times but had no luck.

After re-enabling the device the Sound dialog reports that the Realtek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI Audio) is "Not plugged in".

The audio works fine if I run a dedicated cable from audio out to a set of speakers, but I would really like to just run the audio through HDMI and hear it on my television.

Thanks
post #1920 of 4430 Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhensley View Post

No luck...I tried disabling and then enabling the device a couple of times but had no luck.

After re-enabling the device the Sound dialog reports that the Realtek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI Audio) is "Not plugged in".

The audio works fine if I run a dedicated cable from audio out to a set of speakers, but I would really like to just run the audio through HDMI and hear it on my television.

Thanks

As qone mentioned a few posts back, you might want to check your BIOS settings and ensure that the VGA output is set to D-sub/HDMI and not D-sub/DVI.

Speaking of which, I just made that adjustment, and I'm happy to say that the audio over HDMI problems I was having are now fixed. As Murphy's law would have it however, I am now no longer able to change my screen resolution to 1280x768 and maintain any stability. I'll probably just switch back to audio over SPDIF, but this kind of stuff is really aggravating. I'll probably try rolling back the display drivers to see if it helps.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page