post #2341 of 4430 Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justchillz View Post

Well, what don't you understand?

DXVA is not working when launching mkv's from vista media center.

You cannot use external subtitles together with hardware accelleration.

DXVA/2 has many different functionalities, including decoding, deinterlacing and post-processing. Your statement wasn't referring to anything particular, so I was wondering what specific issues you had.

Personally I'm still having trouble with deinterlacing for 480i. Even though DXVA Checker reports that the driver offers advanced deinterlacing for this resolution, the MS MPEG2 decoder, which is used by default in WMP 11 and VMC, isn't using it. That's one example.

MKVs, depending on the codecs and encoding parameters (namely for x264), might or might not get accelerated by a DXVA-aware decoder. There is more info about this if you search the forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 05:10 AM

I know the story of the mkv's. You can view most movies with 720p resolution if you change the IDC.

But the sh*it is you can't use any other filters with it to view subtitles + it doesn't work inside vista media center
post #2343 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post

And since it shows that your NB is still running at 80C after adding the heatsink that makes me think that temp reading is not the NB.

I think those 80C readings we're all seeing are just fubar'd by a incorrectly designed/flawed sensor circuit in all our boards and or incorrect code in the firmware.
I had my computer off all night, just fired it up- had AMD OverDrive in the autostart group- just checked... and the "TMPIN3"= 80C. The computer hasn't been running for even 45 seconds yet!
No way that reading is accurate.... 80C in under 45 seconds???

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #2344 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I think those 80C readings we're all seeing are just fubar'd by a incorrectly designed/flawed sensor circuit in all our boards and or incorrect code in the firmware.
I had my computer off all night, just fired it up- had AMD OverDrive in the autostart group- just checked... and the "TMPIN3"= 80C. The computer hasn't been running for even 45 seconds yet!

If it's a bad heatsync, it could easily reach that in 45 seconds.

TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #2345 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

If it's a bad heatsync, it could easily reach that in 45 seconds.

I'm good with that (burned a AMD CPU once in under a min w/o a HS), but 80C=176F... I'm sure I'd burn my finger touching something that's 176F. I've checked, the HS is properly seated on the NB so it is absorbing the heat from the chip.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #2346 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 09:56 AM

I have not used the CoreTemp utility. I looked at the link you posted, and it seems it does not report any other temperature besides the CPU cores.

Unfortunately, I installed the Thermaltake when I put the system together, so I never took any readings with the original (Gigabyte) heatsink. I'm sure the numbers were the same as what everyone else has reported.

What I can tell you is that there is absolutely no sensation of heat when I keep my finger on the Thermaltake - it feels just as cool as the CPU cooler. This is a big improvement over the stock heatsink, where people have stated it barely passes the "touch test". I think having active cooling is the solution; I've seen photos of the larger heatsink on revision 1.1 of this board, and I'm not convinced that it's much better than the 1.0 heatsink.

As far as the x1 port.. it's very difficult to say if there's enough room to install a card in there. The "arm" of the cooler goes across the back of the port; however, the arm looks low enough that you could potentially fit a card over the arm. The attached picture may help (sorry about the quality, took it with my phone).

All in all, I'd say I'm very happy with this heatsink. It's rated at 19dBA. I'm not a huge fan of the blue LED, but it gets the job done.
LL
post #2347 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM

the nb temp readings in the internal sensor are definately fubar'd. i put a temp sensor deep in between one of the fins of the heatsink and reading 98F at the moment, highest has been 118F. i do have a scyth 40mm fan stuck on the hs w/ ds tape, but still. the sensor is outside of the airflow of the fan.
i decided against the TT spirit because i eyeballed it and did not feel comfortable it would fit without blocking my 3450 installed in pcie x16 slot or future cards in the pcix1. looking at anonim's pic, clearance for the pciex1 slot is going to be close, and directing nb airflow/heat into the cpu cooler is not optimum. with the scythe you can move it up on the hs to provide clearance for pcix1. $4 for the scythe, $20 for the TT and possibility of blocking your vid/pcix1 card, you decide.
post #2348 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Hi have this board and it appears that everything is working fine. However, when I turn off the TV and come back say an hour or 2 later the screen will say no input. I have to put the PC in sleep mode then back out of sleep mode for it to turn on.

Any ideas?
post #2349 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered up all my parts for this build, I've spent the past several nights working late trying to get this sucker up and running flawlessly. I've had fairly good luck in most regards.

I'm still having difficulty with playing mkv's...TMT says .113 supports mkv's, but the mkv I have causes my machine to BSOD with a atikmdag.sys error. I tried tinkering with ffdshow and coreavc, but all it did was cause other media players on the machine to stutter. So I had to start over from scratch avoiding going buck wild with all the various codecs.

Currently I am running nothing but Vista Ultimate x86 w/8.4 ATI drivers and 1.92 Realtek HDMI...However, I had to take a pass on HDMI because I couldn't get the SPDIF passthrough to work properly through HDMI...So I decided to go optical and I couldn't be happier with the audio quality in BD and VMC.

Although I've got an xvid of I am Legend on my machine and the sounds seems to be missing some volume and brightness, and the surround doesn't appear to be working in it either. I was thinking I may have to do some homework and find a decent codec that will work for that but won't jack up my TMT like before.

With regards to cooling. I opted to keep the stock cooler on the CPU due to size issues that would prevent me from using the Extreme Spirit on my NB. Rather, I decided to install the Extreme Spirit...I used Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal grease, and I used Arctic Silver Remover to remove the old gunk from the NB. Since clearly there is an issue with the NB temp sensors I have no way of knowing if its any better or worse than stock, but my case is extremely silent and nothing but cool air is coming out of those massive fans on the side.

One other small thing of note concerning the mobo and my choice of RAM...The RAM is supposed to have native timings of 4-4-4-15, but rather comes up in the bios as 5-5-5-15...It's rather annoying. However, I am afraid to tinker with the voltage for fear of improper bootups, and having to play games with clearing the cmos just to get back to basics so I can boot the thing just to put it back to AUTO settings.

Everything is just working right out of the box, I've had no major issues at all...This motherboard has been great thusfar...clearly many of my problems to date and most likely in the future will strictly be software related. There's a learning curve involved in find the best codecs and software to use to get the best rig possible for HD/BD video.

The wife and I just completed watching The Golden Compass on BD and it ran flawlessly...If it looks this good without HDHQV Post Processing from a Phenom...I can't wait to see it with a Phenom!!

Parts List:

Antec Aluminum Veris Fusion Black 430 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case with IR receiver - Retail $169.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $89.99
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH4850DOBOX - Retail $89.99
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail $47.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99
LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-11 - OEM $129.99
Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge Cooler, for All NorthBridge Chipsets, w/ LED Fan, CL-C0034$16.99
HDHomeRun Networked Digital TV Tuner$168.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $5.99
Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM $5.99

Total$825.90
post #2350 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Firstly, I still can't get the Audio to work (MA69GM) and before it said and done I might take it to somebody and let them figure it out!

But I have seen the 780 chipset is some 2.4 times faster than the older chipset with graphics and video that it might be time to upgrade even though this system is less than 6 months old.

I would carryover everything on here but the MB.

Question -

Hybrid Crossfire?

I know the HD3450 works with the on-board IGP but I found a post (in this thread) and the OP question wasn't answered at all, but he seems to have lost benchmark perfomance with Crossfire enable with his IGP + HD3470.

I would guess this is a driver issue with AMD as listed in the comparision charts is the 780G Chips set Hybrid Crossfire is possible with either HD2400XT/Pro, HD3450 or HD3470.

On Tom's Hardware it increased peformance by 65% using both GPU's (HD3450) but it still wasn't as fast as single HD2600XT in 3DMark or in Quake 4 (which I don't play) and it still wouldn't play Cysis or FEAR...

The games I plan on playing (I found my wheel!) are Simbin's Race '07 and GTR2 and I demand console level smooth playback.

I can do that by adding just a HD3850 to my present system but I felt the newer HD3200 based IGP would further reduce CPU load with HD content, which is around 40-50% with HD content (Laker Game OTA@1080i). But even browsing the net casues a slight stutter with SD content during playback Window'ed so I think CPU load spikes a bit and a stronger IGP should solve that.

Am I on the right track?

A new MB + HD3470 would be less than buying a HD3870x2 and performance should be fairy close. But overall performance should be even better and its pretty good now...

A. Thomas -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #2351 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

In my board 80º with my zalman rehobus sensors(only when playing 1080p), and after 2 or 3 minuts; in iddle around 60-65º, no more than 70º on 720p movies.

Marcel Garcia
post #2352 of 4430 Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie20402 View Post

Hi have this board and it appears that everything is working fine. However, when I turn off the TV and come back say an hour or 2 later the screen will say no input. I have to put the PC in sleep mode then back out of sleep mode for it to turn on.

Any ideas?

This problem should be gone with last video drivers, i got the same problem with 8.3 and older drivers.

Marcel Garcia
post #2353 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockett02 View Post

It has been my understanding that a digital cable is a digital cable and as long as the cable itself works it shouldn't matter the "quality".

I'm not basing this on quality and I'm certainly not recommending you buy one of those outrageously expensive monster cables... all I know is that there is a cheap generic type of hdmi cable of which I've tried about a dozen and they simply don't work between GA-MA78GM-S2H and Sony TVs even though the Sony TV is recognised in CCC. I think it's some kind of handshaking problem and perhaps the necessary pins aren't wired but with a different brand cable everything is fine.
post #2354 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockett02 View Post

Well I've given up on the great gigabyte/ATI experiment and ordered an ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI based on the new Geforce 8200, I've also added an Asus S/PDIF Module to give me the Coax and Optical outs I require. Hopefully this will solve my issues.

there's a coax header on the GA-MA78GM-S2H - all you need to do is take the two pins to a phono/RCA connector on a blank plate at the back.
post #2355 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg1959 View Post

This problem should be gone with last video drivers, i got the same problem with 8.3 and older drivers.

Whenever I update the drivers to the latest, I either lose all video output to the HDMI port or lose all sound. I reformatted the PC with the same disk and same drivers that I originally installed it with and now I have this issue. I've spent countless hours on this already and am leaning more towards Vista being a ***ty OS than this board being crappy.

Half tempted to install XP and see what happens.
post #2356 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 AM

There are 18 Pin cables and there are 19 Pin Cables. 19 Pin cables seem to do the Job.
post #2357 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but for those of you who say that you connected the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II NB fan/cooler--where did you connect the fan connector to the motherboard? I don't see any three pin, 12V connectors on the board.
post #2358 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromaz2 View Post

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but for those of you who say that you connected the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II NB fan/cooler--where did you connect the fan connector to the motherboard? I don't see any three pin, 12V connectors on the board.

i used the system header....it's going to be very important for you to disable the bios settings that control fan speed automatically. if you don't do so you will end up with a fan that only runs at like 1500-1800rpm....disabling it on both cpu and system will allows the fans to spin up to 4500-4800rpm....and in my case its a moot issue because they are extremely silent fans.
post #2359 of 4430 Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyD View Post

i used the system header....it's going to be very important for you to disable the bios settings that control fan speed automatically. if you don't do so you will end up with a fan that only runs at like 1500-1800rpm....disabling it on both cpu and system will allows the fans to spin up to 4500-4800rpm....and in my case its a moot issue because they are extremely silent fans.

Exactly what I needed to know--it works perfectly (but I was afraid to try w/o your response!
post #2360 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Hello,

I'm new here in this forum and I found some discussion about the temperature TMPIN3. At my board AMD Overdrive also reports temperature about 80 in idle and about 96 when I run stability test inside the AMD Overdrive utility. I changed the northbridge heat sink (Zalman ZM-NB47J and ArcticSilver 5 paste) with attached 40x40mm Styhne fan and the result is still the same. I start with investigation and found interesting thing. The TMPIN3 is not the temperature of the northbridge (in my opinion), but the mosfet temperature. Because when I run the stability test and temperature TMPIN3 shows 96 and I touch the northbridge it wasn't such hot but the mosfets and small black boxes near the mosfets are hot. The Northbridge become hot only at 3D benchmark or other GPU intensive operations. Can somebody else confirm this? Any suggestions how to cool mosfets, because Thermalright mosfet coolers didn't fit there.
post #2361 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhajduch View Post

Hello,

I'm new here in this forum and I found some discussion about the temperature TMPIN3. At my board AMD Overdrive also reports temperature about 80 in idle and about 96 when I run stability test inside the AMD Overdrive utility. I changed the northbridge heat sink (Zalman ZM-NB47J and ArcticSilver 5 paste) with attached 40x40mm Styhne fan and the result is still the same. I start with investigation and found interesting thing. The TMPIN3 is not the temperature of the northbridge (in my opinion), but the mosfet temperature. Because when I run the stability test and temperature TMPIN3 shows 96 and I touch the northbridge it wasn't such hot but the mosfets and small black boxes near the mosfets are hot. The Northbridge become hot only at 3D benchmark or other GPU intensive operations. Can somebody else confirm this? Any suggestions how to cool mosfets, because Thermalright mosfet coolers didn't fit there.

If it was the MOSFETs the temperature would depend on what wattage CPU you had and how hard it was working. I wouldn't be getting 82C when I'm running a BE-2350 in cool'n'quiet mode and its ticking over so slowly that its below 20C.
post #2362 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 AM

All,

I'm thinking of coupling this board with a AMD 4050e (2x2.1ghz) and some 6400 memory.

Can someone confirm that blu-ray playback is 100% offloaded to the GPU through PowerDVD? I'm hoping so as its the same chipset as the 3x00 series cards.

And there are no "gotchas" with the spdif output of 5.1 sound? (dts etc)

Moving to this system from my E4400 and 2600Pro, so i'm expecting similar performance. (hoping to see no difference!)

Many Thanks
post #2363 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armpowered View Post

Can anybody else confirm whether this is a general issue or not ? I thought I'd sussed it but it seems to have returned, i.e. it was working OK and now isn't !

Do others with the same problem have the same effect that I get, on resume from S3/Sleep a new network card is detected (in device manager appears under network interface with a "#2" and in network connections on a standard machine, "Local Area Connection 2" is created).

"Local Area Connection 2" is broken, i.e. doesn't work whatever settings you choose, on a reboot, the original network arrangement returns.

Unless I can find a solution I'm going to stick an old PCI NIC in the machine as I use it to play video from my network.

Any further info welcome - I've done plenty of unsuccessful googling and don't know if it's a Realtek, Gigabye, Vista or me issue !

For me it was the disabling of the firewire controller in the bios that caused the no-network state after resuming from S3.
Enabling it back solved the problem.

I think it is a problem in the ACPI implementation of the Gigabyte 780g bios - the firewire controller somehow reappears in the device manager after resuming from S3 even though it is disabled and does not appear after regular boot.

What is the proper way to notify Gigabyte about that? - maybe they can solve it in the bios.
post #2364 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Hi folks,

Have I under-specced my CPU to push 1080p from MKV containers?

AMD 4850e 2.5GHz
4Gb of RAM (512Mb to the onboard video)
Vista 32bit with 8.4 Catalyst Drivers from ATI/AMD

720p x264 encoded MKVs play beautifully, but 1080p stutters. CPU is not maxing out at that point - both cores hovering around 40-50%. Content stutters if it's from the network (gigabit) or stored locally.

Graphedit shows Haali splitting, CoreAVC decoding the video, ffdshow pushing audio straight to optical out.

Should this system be powerful enough to play 1080p x264, or are they generally "harder work" than straight off a proper BluRay disc?

Thanks for any insight!

Howard
post #2365 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Just to close the loop for anybody that comes across this thread. I finally solved my stability problem. My new setup (GA-MA78G-DS3H, Phenom 8650, OCZ ddr2800 titanium 2x2gb EPP) would not run prime95 for more than about 10 minutes at stock speeds and would often go to BSOD or crash VMC. I disabled the EPP auto configuration of memory timings and miraculously prime95 would run for 5+ hours and I haven't had a BSOD yet. The really frusterating problem is that memtest86+ ran fine for hours with EPP enabled, and OCZ is supposed to be very high quality memory. Is anybody else running EPP enabled memory?
post #2366 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM

I am looking to purchase this board and run 3 monitors. Which additional video card would you recommend that would be stable for running wo screens at 1080p HD video?

Also, any specific recommendations on ram?
post #2367 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 View Post

Post back on here when you get that board and let us know how it works. That was my other choice but all the people fussing about the drivers had me a little scared at the moment. If I can't get video on my Sony KDS55A3000 either then I may be following you down the 8200 GPU path. Probably going to have to start a new post for that board, if I see it I will surely check it out. Good luck.

Well things worked out a little differently than I had planned. Got home and slapped my 8600GTS into the PCI-E slot of the gigabyte board - booted right up on the Sony and everything works fine. Watched some HD-DVD movies over the weekend and everything seemed to work well, although I got some stuttering while watching The Searchers - have to do some tweaks.

It seems to me that ATI has some compatibility issues to work out with this motherboard.
post #2368 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raananh View Post

For me it was the disabling of the firewire controller in the bios that caused the no-network state after resuming from S3.
Enabling it back solved the problem.

Thanks for that, I haven't bothered investigating since resetting BIOS to defaults - though I had a feeling that the firewire controller might have been involved.
post #2369 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdurdle View Post

Have I under-specced my CPU to push 1080p from MKV containers?

720p x264 encoded MKVs play beautifully, but 1080p stutters. CPU is not maxing out at that point - both cores hovering around 40-50%. Content stutters if it's from the network (gigabit) or stored locally.

I had issues with arcsoft tmt, ffdshow, and coreavc all installed, so i had to rebuild and just use coreavc and arcsoft. i also installed ac3filter because i needed some gain boost for low volume avi's and dvd's.

I am using similar hardware to you, 4850e, 780g, 2gb ram, and with coreavc it looks like the HA is working. The key from what I have learned is that the mkv in question will need to have been encoded to support dxva. if not you will end up with high cpu utilization.
post #2370 of 4430 Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM

This a newbie question - is there a way how to force the IGP to use vertical refresh rate of 48Hz?
CCC offers only 24p, 50p an 60p.

Thanks a lot for any advice.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page