AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/992503-official-gigabyte-ga-ma78gm-s2h-rs780-matx-thread.html)

ChrisMorley 02-11-2008 04:39 PM

Ok, after a good run with this thread, it's time to start talking about the new hotness.

It's going to have the new UVD+ engine integrated into the onboard Radeon HD 3200 graphics. It's socket AM2+ so it supports all the latest AMD processors and interconnect technologies. It also supports Hybrid Crossfire and HybridFlash. Oh, and the Realtek ALC889A supports lossless codecs, so we'll see how true it is...

But of course the big news is 1080p H.264 and VC1 decode with very little CPU overhead.

Here's Gigabyte's page:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...=GA-MA78GM-S2H

zzzozzzo 02-11-2008 06:19 PM

Here's some general info on RS780 and some tests

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=987960

AFAIK the Gigabyte mainboard won't be available until March (internationally)

zenoicus 02-14-2008 01:44 AM

ClubIT has a BIG surprise for everybody: they claim to have the GA-MA78GM-S2H IN STOCK NOW.

I suspect they're asking more than MSRP, but I'm tired of waiting, so went ahead and ordered one anyway. I'll update this if/when I get word it's shipped.

vkristof 02-14-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

ClubIT has a BIG surprise for everybody: they claim to have the GA-MA78GM-S2H IN STOCK NOW.

I suspect they're asking more than MSRP, but I'm tired of waiting, so went ahead and ordered one anyway. I'll update this if/when I get word it's shipped.

Thanks for that link!

I went to the Gigabyte website and discovered that they've been busy revving the BIOS in the last few weeks. The BIOS notes are interesting also:

Version F3B 2008/02/05
1. Set the Max. of VGA core clock to 1100MHz

Version F2 2008/02/01
1. Add AGESA 3.1.6.0 support
2. Set the Max. of VGA core clock to 900MHz

Version F1 2008/01/21
1. First Release

I'd assume that setting the VGA core clock to 1100 MHz is significantly overclocking it, but it does sound impressive!

renethx 02-14-2008 04:26 AM

The default core clock is 500MHz.

magnoman 02-14-2008 06:41 AM

I saw this yesterday and couldn't believe it. I ordered one then and I received an email that it shipped last night. Tracking this morning says its in the system and on its way... Looking good!

FWIW: For some reason I wasn't able to checkout with that free game they mentioned on the product page. Oh well.

kapone 02-14-2008 06:47 AM

The product page is gone from the Gigabyte site??

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2758

magnoman 02-14-2008 06:59 AM

I can't get to it any more either. I was able to download the BIOS and new drivers for it last night though.

magnoman 02-14-2008 07:10 AM

My only reservation about this board is that it doesn't support sending any surround lossless HD audio via the HDMI port. Not even 8 channel LPCM audio. I'm hoping that a future driver release will fix this but it states in the manual "Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)"

So, it appears that the 8 channel analog is the only way to get lossless audio from this bad boy at present.

magnoman 02-14-2008 07:15 AM

Here are direct links to the various product support pages since the board doesn't appear to be listed on their website anymore.

Manual:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2758

BIOS:

Drivers:

vkristof 02-14-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The default core clock is 500MHz.

Wow! I have never intentionally overclocked any of my nV 6150 "northbridges".
It certainly sounds impressive: maybe the 55 nm (I assume) process has a lot of headroom.

Does the 780G support the newer HT bus also?
Does that make the HT bus faster, if you have the correct CPU?

ChrisMorley 02-14-2008 09:20 AM

Yes, it's Socket AM2+ so it supports HyperTransport 3.0 given you have the proper CPU.

And yeah, AMD chipsets run much cooler than Intel or NVIDIA right now.

sdcgmc 02-14-2008 10:39 AM

I just ordered my board from clubit.com I must say I am pumped!

I still need to order a processor and memory I was wondering what all of you plan on running? Im thinking of going for a 5000+ Black Edition

I cant seem to find an approved memory list for this board., so I'm thinking about shelling out some extra $$ for DDR2-1066 memory so I will be ready for the Phenoms when they come down in price.

Thoughts anyone?

ChrisMorley 02-14-2008 11:00 AM

Do it - 1066 is pretty cheap at ~$70 for 2GB.

zenoicus 02-14-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcgmc View Post

I cant seem to find an approved memory list for this board...

Last night I found that, and links to the other downloads that magnoman provided above, through Google's cache of the product page before Gigabyte pulled it. Here's the current mem compatibility list: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...ma78gm-s2h.pdf

Am I reading that list correctly? Is Gigabyte saying that the only modules they've actually ran at 1066 on this board were from Kingston, Qimonda, and AENEON?

crzyc 02-14-2008 12:56 PM

I think I'm going to wait for this board to hit newegg or somewhere similar. For some reason I thought the board was going to be around $65.

This is what I'm using for CPU and Memory after my friend and I did some research...

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Memory x2: Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5/1G - Retail

crzyc 02-14-2008 01:01 PM

I had posted this over on another thread for the HD 3450, thought it made sense to post this here for new comers to this motherboard.

Here are some more links that you may or may not have seen.

Gigabyte's AMD 780G board pictured

bit-tech.net | AMD's new RS780 IGP and SB700 pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyc View Post

I know this is a little bit off topic for the thread, but it was this thread that allowed me to find this motherboard.

I'm really excited about it, anyone else planning on buying this board for their HTPC?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=5451&Itemid=1

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8868/index.html

vkristof 02-14-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Yes, it's Socket AM2+ so it supports HyperTransport 3.0 given you have the proper CPU.

And yeah, AMD chipsets run much cooler than Intel or NVIDIA right now.

Thanks.

From what I've read dual core AM2+ processors have no announced release date, is that correct?

I just skimmed the manual and noticed that the motherboard does NOT support two digital monitors. This might be of interest to potential buyers who might use it as a desktop PC w/ two LCD monitors, even though I think most (if not all?) LCD monitors still come with VGA inputs.

mry110 02-14-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post

My only reservation about this board is that it doesn't support sending any surround lossless HD audio via the HDMI port. Not even 8 channel LPCM audio. I'm hoping that a future driver release will fix this but it states in the manual "Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)"

So, it appears that the 8 channel analog is the only way to get lossless audio from this bad boy at present.

It seems like these manufactures are clueless about what the HTPC community wants as far as sound output.

vkristof 02-14-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyc View Post

I think I'm going to wait for this board to hit newegg or somewhere similar. For some reason I thought the board was going to be around $65.

This is what I'm using for CPU and Memory after my friend and I did some research...

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Memory x2: Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5/1G - Retail

The Gigabyte 690G mATX is about $75-80, so the 780G mATX should be the same or a bit more (the brand new factor). I do notice that Newegg has dropped the Gigabyte 690G mATX a few bucks. Maybe they're repositioning the 690G to make a spot for the real-soon-now (I'm guessing) 780G.

I'll hold off and see what the early adapters report. Which will probably be a mix of joy, disappointment, anger, misconceptions, etc...

Has the Gigabyte shown up on any other USA vendor's web site?

redtyler1 02-14-2008 02:08 PM

Ok, so I ordered the board from ClubIT, I am just building a new HTPC so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I am hopeful that this can be paired with a 2400-BE (45w) processor (as mentioned above) and be able to smoothly playback BD and HD-DVD. It should have no problem with 1080i OTA HDTV content.

AI'm not an audiophile, in fact I understand very little about the new HD audio formats. I do know that this has been a criticism of this board. Is the criticism mainly that the audio cannot be passed through HDMI or is it something more fundamentally flawed than that?

My question is, please forgive my noob-ness, if I run analong to the AV Receiver which does decode the new HD audio formats, would I get the best quality sound? Assume for the purposes of argument that Power DVD could handle this and would not downsample anything. Does this make sense? To me it seems like there are three places where the HD audio is a problem. 1) the mobo must be able to send the appropriate signal to the AV receiver, 2) PowerDVD or some other program must be able to handle the signal, and 3) the AV receiver must be able to output and decode the HD audio. Is this right?

Man, I can figure out 1080p24 (much easier with ATI at this point I think) but this audio stuff is out of my league.

Thanks!

Alex

sotti 02-14-2008 02:42 PM

analog out completely removes every limitation on audio. Analog is audio.

All audio follows this path, the question is where is the audio decoded, and where is it converted to analog.

Encoded Data Stream on disc
V
Software application running on CPU
V
Windows Mixer
V
Sound Card output
V
Reciever

The Dream:
V
Software application running on CPU (passes encoded stream to sound card)
V
Windows Mixer (passes encoded stream striaght through)
V
Sound Card output (puts encoded audio stream on HDMI 1.3 cable)
V
Reciever (decodes and converts to analog)

Next Best Thing (minimal, if any, loss in quality):
V
Software application running on CPU (software decodes audio into 8 channel LPCM)
V
Windows Mixer (mixes audio down, resamples to current output setup)
V
Sound Card output (puts full quality audio on HDMI V1.0+)
V
Reciever (takes digital audio converts to analog)

Analog output:
V
Software application running on CPU (software decodes audio into 8 channel LPCM)
V
Windows Mixer (mixes audio down, resamples to current output setup)
V
Sound Card output (converts audio to analog for output)
V
Reciever (amplifies signal from PC)

So if you've paid big money for a reciever with burr brown DAC's, fancy audio processing, HDMI lip-sync, ect... in order to use that you want the first option, but the second option is passable, the third option is horrific (with onboard audio card). But if you are just hooking it up a cheap <$300 reciever and you have an aftermarket sound card you probably are at a push on DAC sound quality.

PS the above audio chains are only as strong as their weakest link, in the HD-Audio world for BD and HD-DVD, Power DVD is currently the weakest link as it downsamples all audio.

zenoicus 02-14-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

I'll hold off and see what the early adapters report. Which will probably be a mix of joy, disappointment, anger, misconceptions, etc...

there'll no doubt be frustrations, especially with a rev 1.0 board, but I sure hope they don't manifest in that ratio, one joy for every three PIAs!

vkristof 02-14-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

there'll no doubt be frustrations, especially with a rev 1.0 board, but I sure hope they don't manifest in that ratio, one joy for every three PIAs!

Yes, I hope the joy/other artio is large. I went overboard on the negativity, but the unhappy experiences will be more publicized.

I think the chips are supposed to be pin-compatible with the previous gen 690G/etc.. So the amount of new engineering/PCB design should be minimal.

The upgraded HT bus for future CPU upgrades is a plus. Even though you hope that you don't have to upgrade a newly built HTPC for quite a while. Especially with video seeming to having reached a plateau (1080P, .H264, pick your codec) for a while. Though I did notice one AMD marketing slide that mentioned upscaling to 2560 X 1600/whatever...

redtyler1 02-14-2008 08:00 PM

I for one really appreciate the audio description given above, so thank you! Was there not a thread on here recently that posited that the new PowerDVD version didn't downsample? I am certain I'm reading that wrong, and in any event, as has been mentioned, it may work for some, not for others, give BSOD on a third group, etc.

Oh well.

kurt711 02-14-2008 08:25 PM

does this board have the sideport memory? the one review shows better numbers with sideport memory of 64mb. Maybe someone knows the answer. Thanks.

renethx 02-14-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt711 View Post

does this board have the sideport memory? the one review shows better numbers with sideport memory of 64mb. Maybe someone knows the answer. Thanks.

No sideport memory.

vkristof 02-15-2008 04:14 AM

Has anybody received this board yet?

madaili 02-15-2008 07:24 AM

Is it worth to wait for this board if I already have ATI HD 3850 or 3870 card? Will Hybrid Crossfire work with these cards?

zenoicus 02-15-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaili View Post

Is it worth to wait for this board if I already have ATI HD 3850 or 3870 card? Will Hybrid Crossfire work with these cards?

According to AMD's comments up to now, Hybrid Crossfire only works with lesser cards, the 3450 and 3470. A 3800 series card will shut-down or bypass the IGP.