Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
b8b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I've done a lot of searching and reading and experimenting for the last 10 days before finally resorting to posting this.

I am experiencing issues when I play video, especially HD video, through the HDMI out on a Dell XPS M1330 through an Onkyo TX-SR605 out to a Mitsu HC1500 over HDMI (no room in the conduit for anything but an HDMI cable, so that's my only option.

When playing the video, it looks like it is trying to sync the video or something, there will be two bands across the entire screen that go from top to bottom and take about 2 seconds as it transitions the screen. Audio will also go out for a brief second from time to time (though not in correlation with the display issue). It does not do this on the laptops own screen/sound. I have no idea why it is doing this and don't know where to troubleshoot further. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

I'm still stumped. Can anyone offer me any advice or where/how to at least to troubleshoot further? Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8b View Post

I'm still stumped. Can anyone offer me any advice or where/how to at least to troubleshoot further? Thanks in advance.

I have the same laptop, haven't bothered using the HDMI output yet. However, it sounds like your laptop is outputting a resolution that's not supported by your receiver. Most receivers will only receive "TV" resolutions like 1280x720 or 1920x1080, whereas our m1330's LCD display is 1280x800. Try setting the resolution to a regular TV resolution.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
b8b

Hi Stoked, thanks for your response. Interesting theory, this could be as you say. However, I do not recall any option to change the resolution for the HDMI output, it seems to want to mirror the screen resolution. I will mess around with it. Let me know if you ever try it and how it works. Thanks!
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8b View Post

Hi Stoked, thanks for your response. Interesting theory, this could be as you say. However, I do not recall any option to change the resolution for the HDMI output, it seems to want to mirror the screen resolution. I will mess around with it. Let me know if you ever try it and how it works. Thanks!

Then change your resolution on your LCD screen so it will be mirrored to your hdmi port.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

Well, I was hoping it would be that simple, but I've been running 1280x720 this whole time

Now suddenly the sound doesn't work over HDMI, I literally walked away for dinner after playing a discover channel show and went to start a movie and now have no sound, even on that show! I'm wondering if it's the hardware, but I had the same trouble with the XPS prior to this (this is a replacement). I have another replacement coming Monday, but I am going to put this hard drive into it so I don't have to reinstall everything, so I hope it's not software. I'll write again Monday and see if it clears up. This stinks, I bought this laptop so I could do everything and not need a seperate device like the Tvix 6500, but it looks like I'll have to buy one.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

Tried a system restore, still no sound. Not sure what happened. Strange. Updated video drivers, video still not like it is on the screen. Resolution set correctly. I'm bummed. I wonder if it is the Onkyo TX-SR605? Now I've learned that the Tvix M-6500A is having syncing problems, so I guess my alternate solution of buying that is out. Sigh. Not sure what to do now. I'll check the new XPS M1330 Monday and see if it has the same problems, will likely order the Tvix in the mean time, hoping that will work.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

Well, I tried using other cables, that didn't work, so I tried using the other HDMI input port, which worked for sound momentarily, then it too went out. I am thinking perhaps I have a faulty Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver
post #9 of 16 Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

b8b,

I just tried my m1330 with my Denon 3806. No problems passing 720p or 1080p. Didn't play around with the audio too much but it did seem to work, just with the basic tests. I didn't bother setting the HDMI as the default sound device however.

When I connected the cable, I went to Display Properties, and set it to extend desktop to the 2nd monitor. Then I changed used the slider and changed the resolution to 1280x720 on the 2nd monitor and I was able to sync up to my Denon and display the extended desktop to my projector.

I'm using the updated Nvidia drivers from the Dell website. It's version 156.55 for Vista 32-bit. You using the latest drivers?
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=224877

Also, have you tried bypassing your receiver completely and testing the laptop directly to your display?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

Hi Stoked,

Thank you for your response. I'll check when I get home and make sure I am using the latest drivers, thanks for the link. I'll also try going directly, I can't believe I didn't think of that most basic troubleshooting technique.

I got a replacement XPS system last night (the screen had issues, tech couldn't fix so they sent a replacement)... the replacement wouldn't boot and the backlight wasn't functioning! Makes me think I made a mistake getting a (significant) refund for the warranty.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM

There is a firmware update for the TX-SR605, but I don't know if that has anything to do with your sound problems:
http://www.onkyousa.com/605firmware_replace.cfm

I have an NVidia 8800 GTS connected to a TX-SR875 through a DVI to HDMI cable, but I have a separate SPDIF cable for the audio.
When I use cloning or extending the desktop to the TV, I have some screen tearing, so I would recommend switching the primary monitor to the TV instead.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
b8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

I'm using the updated Nvidia drivers from the Dell website. It's version 156.55 for Vista 32-bit. You using the latest drivers?
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=224877

Also, have you tried bypassing your receiver completely and testing the laptop directly to your display?

I tried those drivers, didn't work. I haven't tried bypassing yet as I wouldn't have sound if that worked, though it would prove what the issue is (XPS or 605), so I need to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNSTI View Post

There is a firmware update for the TX-SR605, but I don't know if that has anything to do with your sound problems:
http://www.onkyousa.com/605firmware_replace.cfm

I have an NVidia 8800 GTS connected to a TX-SR875 through a DVI to HDMI cable, but I have a separate SPDIF cable for the audio.
When I use cloning or extending the desktop to the TV, I have some screen tearing, so I would recommend switching the primary monitor to the TV instead.

Interesting. Although I pre-ordered the new Yamaha receiver from JR, I plan to try at least the primary monitor setting. Thanks for your advice, ESPNSTI!
post #13 of 16 Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
b8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNSTI View Post

That worked, thanks!!
post #14 of 16 Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

I updated the driver but was still having problems getting the audio play through to the receiver. I read on another forum to put the laptop to sleep and cycle it back on, and that brought the audio back through the hdmi.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 AM
DNV

Sorry, to resurrect an old thread like this but the situation is very similar to the one I'm experiencing.

I Also have an Dell XPS M1330 which I connect via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver, and while I don't experience any video problems I still do suffer from the same audio dropout problem.

The steps I take to connect my laptop to the receiver are the following:
1. Connect HDMI cable and set to display on external monitor only
2. I go into audio playback device menu and set HDMI as the default connection
3. I then launch either Windows media player or Media Center and play a DVD with AC3 5.1 audio

The receiver shows that it is receiving "Dolby Digital" so I know the laptop is "bit streaming" the audio out to the receiver for it to decode, also I've used Media Player Classic and manually told it to output SDIF. In all cases the result is the same choppy audio and sometimes distorted audio.

I should say I have used an Dell 1530 laptop with the exact same configuration and it worked perfectly, leading me to believe it is a problem with the laptop. I have also done a complete reinstall of Vista with all the latest dell drivers and windows updates onto the machine but to no avail the problem still exists.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM

i'm having the same problems...but to an onkyo tx sr607...the audio drops out every 2 minutes or so for a second...anybody every resolve this?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page