ATI issue with DVI-HDMI and signal loss in display input change/power off? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been running my HTPC with an Nvidia 6800 GT connected to a 42" LCD with a DVI->HDMI adapter.

I recently purchased an ATI Radeon HD 3650 for improved 1080p hardware acceleration.

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with the latest 8.2 Catalyst drivers - anytime I turn off my LCD/turn it on, or change inputs - I lose the HDMI signal, and can only recover it by unplugging/re-plugging in the adapter.

The only possible problem here is the ATI card - the display/cable/underlying PC are exactly the same.

I saw this issue was listed as 'fixed' on ATI's website with 7.3 or later - but not for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any workarounds/fixes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 AM

though this was already fixed too.

I had this problem way way back, then I upgraded from a x850 to a x1950 and the problem was gone.

Try using the other DVI port if it has a second one?

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
post #3 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Tried that, tried 'Force TV Detection' - tried everything!

So frustrating.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 AM

I had this problem with an ATI 2400 after I upgraded from the 7.12 drivers to 8.1. I later purchased a Sapphire HD 3450 and I have this problem with all driver versions.

I found that I can get around the problem in 2 ways:

1) Like you said, I can unplug my HDMI cable and plug it back in. That forces the signal to return.

OR

2) I'm running Vista MCE. If I hit the live TV button, it forces the display to "wake up" again. If I don't hit this button, I can still seem to navigate through the menus by sound (I can hear the Vista MCE interface sounds as I hit the up and down buttons).

I never set my Vista machine to sleep. I do use Away Mode. I have found that if I keep running on Live TV, I don't have this problem when I return. But, if I do run into the problem, hitting the live TV button on my MCE remote allows me to get around it.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Is this problem isolated to XP, because this is not the case for me. I am able to turn off my TV, and switch input without losing the video.

If this only has to do with Vista then maybe I should stick with XP until this is fixed.

By the way, I have a Sapphire 3650, and running CCC 8.2.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda View Post

Is this problem isolated to XP, because this is not the case for me. I am able to turn off my TV, and switch input without losing the video.

If this only has to do with Vista then maybe I should stick with XP until this is fixed.

By the way, I have a Sapphire 3650, and running CCC 8.2.

I have the Sapphire 3650 with ccc8.2 and vista and am having the same problem. So I would stick with xp, since it is working for you.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I have been trying to get ahold of ATI tech support, but I'm on iteration 3 and they're still sending me form letters, asking me nonsense questions like "Is your motherboard Vista-certified" or "Is your PSU sufficient?"

This seems to affect Vista users.

I have un-installed all the Catalyst drivers, and been running Vista with no ATI drivers now and I have no problems - inputs change, tv on/off and I don't lose the signal. Must be an issue with the drivers.

I tried to downgrade to 8.1, but I don't know if they support the 3650 (since it wasn't out) - Vista could not recognize the graphics driver/card combination.

Will continue to troubleshoot this...
post #8 of 35 Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 AM

Hi,

I have bought a hp 24" lcd and I have some problem. But I had used toshiba 42x3030 lcd tv before this, there isn't any problem like this. Can any one solve this problem with catalyst drivers?
post #9 of 35 Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 AM

I actually experienced this problem the same day I posted that I did not have it anymore.

Problem for me starts when the PC is turned on and the monitor(tv) is off. And I think its only a Vista problem as I didnt have this problem in XP.

But once the computer turns on and detects the monitor I dont have the problem anymore. I can turn off the TV, put the PC to sleep, and it will all come back.

Now the problem Im having is that stupid Vista keeps going to screensaver even after I set everything to No, Never, 0.

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
post #10 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Installing the cat 8.3 drivers has fixed this for me now (at least so far) with my Sapphire HD3650
post #11 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Problem was fixed for me as well with Catalyst 8.3
post #12 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

I'm running Cat 8.3 with a Sapphire 3470, just installed both 2 days ago. I'm having a different issue but kind of the same. I'm using the provided ATI DVI-to-HDMI adapter. If I switch inputs on my TV and then back to the HTPC, I get an image but it looks like I'm only getting R and B channels and not G (like as in if it were hooked up with component cables and I unplugged the green cable.) If I hit the input button on my remote for the HTPC several times refreshing the input, it will eventually correct itself. Also turning the TV off and back on corrects it as well. I have not tried forcing TV detection in CCC but that is what I'll try next.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Ronnie Ferrell
post #13 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ferrell View Post

I'm running Cat 8.3 with a Sapphire 3470, just installed both 2 days ago. I'm having a different issue but kind of the same. I'm using the provided ATI DVI-to-HDMI adapter. If I switch inputs on my TV and then back to the HTPC, I get an image but it looks like I'm only getting R and B channels and not G (like as in if it were hooked up with component cables and I unplugged the green cable.) If I hit the input button on my remote for the HTPC several times refreshing the input, it will eventually correct itself. Also turning the TV off and back on corrects it as well. I have not tried forcing TV detection in CCC but that is what I'll try next.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Ronnie Ferrell

I don't know if this will help you, but when I switch inputs then switch it back to the computer, sometimes CCC shows DTV 3(DVI) instead of DTV 3(HDMI). With cat8.2's this also meant I did not have sound through the connector when it showed (DVI), but with cat8.3's I still do. Not sure what is going on here...
post #14 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen View Post

I don't know if this will help you, but when I switch inputs then switch it back to the computer, sometimes CCC shows DTV 3(DVI) instead of DTV 3(HDMI). With cat8.2's this also meant I did not have sound through the connector when it showed (DVI), but with cat8.3's I still do. Not sure what is going on here...

I'll check it out. I've found an easy workaround for my issue. If I change the resolution from say 1280x720 to 1280x768, it corrects the color issue. I then switch it back to 1280x720 and I'm good. So I found this little command line utility that changes the screen resolution called QRes. I made a 2 line .bat file that changes my resolution to 1280x768 on the first line and then back to 1280x720 on the second line. Now if I switch inputs and the color is jacked up, I just double click this bat file on my desktop and the colors are back to being correct.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ferrell View Post

I've found an easy workaround for my issue. If I change the resolution from say 1280x720 to 1280x768, it corrects the color issue. I then switch it back to 1280x720 and I'm good.

Glad to hear you got a work around at least...
post #16 of 35 Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 AM

I recently bought HD 3650 and have almost the same problem running on XP 64bit with Catalyst 8.3 drivers (downgraded from 8.4).

The HDTV is connected using DVI-HDMI cable and every now and then, it loses sync
when I switch between monitors (the PC's 19' LCD is connected on the primary DVI).

This is quite weird as it's not happening at all times..when it does, I unplug & replug the DVI connector.

This has to be related to the drivers, I don't understand how could ATI ignore such an issue. Never had this with my old 9700 PRO.
post #17 of 35 Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 PM

I have this same issue with ATI Radeon X300 with DVI out (DVI-to-HDMI cable to TV). Replugging the DVI port is the only work-around I've found other than rebooting.

I am running Windows XP SP2, and one week ago I upgraded my ATI to the latest driver that was available - not sure if that was Catalyst 8.3 or not.

Power settings are to never turn anything off (PC always running). Screen saver is on.

It sounds like this is an ATI problem that happens less on nVidia. Can anyone recommend an nVidia card that can handle 1080p? Even if I fix my ATI problem, I still can only run 720 max.
post #18 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm also experiencing the no display signal issue when switching inputs. I have an HIS HD 3650 iSilenceIII PCI-E card in a system running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64. I had the card connected via HDMI (using the supplied DVI-HDMI adapter) to a Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD TV. The Catalyst 8.6 release was installed. I tried the "Force TV detection," to no avail. I also tried the Catalyst 8.3 release, with no improvement, as well as removing the DVI-HDMI adapter and connecting the HD 3650 directly to the TV using a DVI-HDMI cable. Nothing has fixed the issue. The only thing that even halfway works is to put the system into an S1 or S3 sleep state using the Microsoft Media Center remote, and then wake it up again. But that isn't any kind of a good solution for a HTPC that could be recording TV at any time.

I'm not very happy at this point. For a home theater PC this is a serious problem, as the computer is running 24x7 and needs to be accessible at any time. Leaving the TV on 24x7 and set to the HTPC's input obviously isn't an option.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherD View Post

I'm also experiencing the no display signal issue when switching inputs. I have an HIS HD 3650 iSilenceIII PCI-E card in a system running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64. I had the card connected via HDMI (using the supplied DVI-HDMI adapter) to a Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD TV. The Catalyst 8.6 release was installed. I tried the "Force TV detection," to no avail. I also tried the Catalyst 8.3 release, with no improvement, as well as removing the DVI-HDMI adapter and connecting the HD 3650 directly to the TV using a DVI-HDMI cable. Nothing has fixed the issue. The only thing that even halfway works is to put the system into an S1 or S3 sleep state using the Microsoft Media Center remote, and then wake it up again. But that isn't any kind of a good solution for a HTPC that could be recording TV at any time.

I'm not very happy at this point. For a home theater PC this is a serious problem, as the computer is running 24x7 and needs to be accessible at any time. Leaving the TV on 24x7 and set to the HTPC's input obviously isn't an option.

Its Ironic, in the 4850 thread I just posted that it worked fine for me switching inputs/tv etc, but waking it from sleep while my AVR/TV were off would make it output no picture at all even after I turned them on. The AVR/TV had to be on first (which isn't always going to happen when it wakes to record a show for example).

But I had no problems with the 4850 and Catalyst 8.6 Hotfix drivers of changing inputs of the AVR/TV then going back to the ones for the HTPC.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I had the same problem with lost signal when I was using the X950XT (CCC 8.5). Then I switch it to X1900XT (CCC 8.5), the problem was gone. No matter I turn the TV off or switch input, the signal is always there. I think this problem also deal with your TV too. When I used the X950XT with my Daytax 32" LCD (DVI-DVI), it never had a problem. Same setup but hock up to 46" Sharp LCD (DVI-HDMI), it lost signal when I switch input.
post #21 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

FFS. The first vendor (AMD/ATI, Intel or NVIDIA) that adds a tick box to their drivers labeled "Continue to output whatever you've told me to output regardless of what state I "think" the receiving equipment is in even if I can't enter standby as a result" option will get my business.

This is a crazy situation for any vendor serious about the HTPC market. How hard can it be?

Wo0zy
post #22 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone else pointed me to this little app so I thought I'd pass on the info. Haven't used it yet myself, but it might work as a temporary workaround until ATI gets their act straight.
post #23 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibull View Post

Someone else pointed me to this little app so I thought I'd pass on the info. Haven't used it yet myself, but it might work as a temporary workaround until ATI gets their act straight.

Could this prog have some effect on sound and video problem with receivers?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043267
post #24 of 35 Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM

Hi Guys,

Seeing the exact same issue even on Catalyst 8.6. I would suggest anyone else seeing this issue report it to ATI (Not normal support, Catalyst driver crew so it will get to a developer). Maybe if enough of us let them know about it they'll fix it.

Here's the link for driver bugs:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...uestionID=1713
post #25 of 35 Old 07-17-2008, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokis View Post

Could this prog have some effect on sound and video problem with receivers?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043267

Unlikely as you can't get sound even after a reboot. This utility purely disables and re-enables the video output to force a re-sync. Good thinking by the author but not a solution to the audio problem. Definately worth a try if you suffer from "black screen" when changing inputs tho'

Wo0zy
post #26 of 35 Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Even with 8.6, I have similiar problem which is, I have my card connected to the HDMI of my AV receiver. When I turn my av/tv on, the display changes it's resolution to some weird 720p resolution instead of the 1080p it was originially set. What i do have now to make life simple on me is a profiles created using ATI Catalyst. I have the profile save all my previous setting, which includes the 1080p resolution I want. Everytime I turn on my tv with my logitech remote, I have the hotkey I assigned to activate that profile activated. Sad that I have to go through all this, but unfortunately, ATI still hasn't have this fix. Version 8.7 just came out, I'm going to try later tonite and see if it fixes the problem.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's the solution for my version of this issue:

Disable the "Ati External Event Utility" service
Press Windows Key+R to bring up the "run" command
Type "services.msc" and press enter
Right click on "Ati External Event Utility" and select properties
Change "Startup Type" to Disabled. Press OK
Reboot

I started getting an issue when I reinstalled vista and updated to the newest Cat drivers last week. I run a Saphire 3850 connected to a Viewsonic 22" LCD and an LG 42" LCD via DVI->HDMI. Whenever I turn on the TV or change inputs, the display on my main monitor would go crazy, going black for a minute and then blinking for another minute before finally settling back to normal. I would also get the same issue showing on my TV if I switched back to it quickly.

As for the solution, I haven't had any drawbacks yet. It basically disables on-the-fly monitor detection so just make sure you've manually configured your displays and resolution.

Hope that helps!
post #28 of 35 Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amps View Post

Reboot

I started getting an issue when I reinstalled vista and updated to the newest Cat drivers last week. I run a Saphire 3850 connected to a Viewsonic 22" LCD and an LG 42" LCD via DVI->HDMI. Whenever I turn on the TV or change inputs, the display on my main monitor would go crazy, going black for a minute and then blinking for another minute before finally settling back to normal. I would also get the same issue showing on my TV if I switched back to it quickly.

As for the solution, I haven't had any drawbacks yet. It basically disables on-the-fly monitor detection so just make sure you've manually configured your displays and resolution.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this.

Although my screen always came back the PC would repeatedly go unresponsive for seconds at a time over the first minute or so, as if the CPU was being 100% utilised. If a sound was playing at the time it would repeat with a sound like a jackhammer!

Turning off this service makes going back to the PC after watching TV (changing input on my AVR) or after standby much much slicker.

One thing; On XP the service is called "ATI Hotkey Poller" but it has the same filename. If it had the same name as under Vista I may even have tried it myself.
post #29 of 35 Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Thanks so much for this.

Although my screen always came back the PC would repeatedly go unresponsive for seconds at a time over the first minute or so, as if the CPU was being 100% utilised. If a sound was playing at the time it would repeat with a sound like a jackhammer!

Turning off this service makes going back to the PC after watching TV (changing input on my AVR) or after standby much much slicker.

One thing; On XP the service is called "ATI Hotkey Poller" but it has the same filename. If it had the same name as under Vista I may even have tried it myself.

amps & jong1

Thank-you both for sharing that information, disabling the autostart on the "ATI Hotkey Poller" works great under XP SP3, HD2600XT (Cat 8.8). Able to put TV (Toshiba 40X3030D via HDMI) into/out of stand-by, and change channels, no audio or picture drop-out.

Thanks again........
post #30 of 35 Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amps View Post

Reboot

Hope that helps!

A million thanks! I have ATI 4870 and had HDMI audio drop problem previously. I was able to resolve the problem by following your instructions.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page