Choppy DVD Playback in PowerDVD Ultra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Atomic ATI Radeon 3870 Card in my HTPC that is connected over HDMI to a Samsung TV driven at 1080p. I recently installed PowerDVD Ultra; when I play Blu-Ray Discs, I have an excellent picture, but when I put a standard DVD in the drive, PowerDVD Ultra provides very choppy image (it also looks like there is a tear in the picture in the middle while it plays). When I play the same disc in Nero Showtime or VLC, I have no problems.

Any ideas on where to start looking for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Ram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM

I have a similar setup with a 8800 GTS, and I have exactly the same problem with Power DVD Ultra, but not when I play it through Media Center. I'de like to know why also. I rip all my movies to ISO.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 AM

I have something similar.

If i play a DVD with PowerDVD 7.3.7320 then it seems it tries to control the
readspeed of the DVD drive, which in fact does not work properly. If I play the same DVDs with Windows Mediaplayer or DVBViewer it works fine and smooth.

For the case to play the DVDs in PowerDVD it also stutters several times. So ver anoying facts.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsrealm View Post

I have an Atomic ATI Radeon 3870 Card in my HTPC that is connected over HDMI to a Samsung TV driven at 1080p. I recently installed PowerDVD Ultra; when I play Blu-Ray Discs, I have an excellent picture, but when I put a standard DVD in the drive, PowerDVD Ultra provides very choppy image (it also looks like there is a tear in the picture in the middle while it plays). When I play the same disc in Nero Showtime or VLC, I have no problems.

Any ideas on where to start looking for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Ram

I have this problem in Vista Home Premium, but not Vista Enterprise or MCE 2005. Which OS are you using?

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM

I had no problems till I updated to Vista SP1
Now DVD playback stutters in PowerDVD and WinDVD but not on VMC
does anybody have a solution??
Also..no stutter using MPH-HC or VLC?? im stumped.
Made no difference with or without enabling hardware acceleration!!
No stutter if I play AVI files though.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Siimiliar problem: None of the formats(blu-ray Hd dvd or regular dvd) plays correctly thru power dvd. They will play correctly for about 5 seconds then the movie will slow to a crawl. I'll will hit next chapter or move the slider further into the movie-same thing- play smooth for about 5 seconds the slow down again.. Trie writing cyberlink but they want you to jump thrugh hurdles before given you a solution, Hopefully someone here will have one.. Also-My nero showtime-with the HD plugin will now only show the peviews, after the preview the screen just stay black-HD advisor says everything good for HD palyback, Tries differnt drivers for my video card also(3870). Not a happy camper right now...windows xp w/media center..xplosion 7.1 soundcard, using the dvi to hdmi adapter to goto tv(wonder if the sound drivers for the ati card conflicting with my HD xplosion card?..)
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 AM

Found the solution (as suggested by a member here)
After updating to SP1 vista, need to uninstall sound driver (3rd party or self installed by vista) and reinstall 3rd party driver (not the one which vista does itself) and everything works fine.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I'm just trying to watch blu ray and HD DVD's on my computer w my LG ggc-h20L!!!! This cyberlink crap is really ticking me off!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsrealm View Post

Ram

I am pleased to tell you that Vista SP1 appears to correct the problem. I get smooth playback with PowerDVD Ultra and TheaterTek 2.X under Vista Home Premium x64.

'Bout time, I say!

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos1024 View Post

I'm just trying to watch blu ray and HD DVD's on my computer w my LG ggc-h20L!!!! This cyberlink crap is really ticking me off!!!

were you able to resolve your issue with the LG H20L drive? I ran into same thing last night with Vista x86 ultimate SP1. Haven't tried the sound driver suggestion though.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM

I am having this exact same problem. The dvds and xvid videos play fine on VLC (except for audio which is another issue) and fine on nero showtime (fine except for a different audio problem), but on PowerDVD 8, it is super choppy and I get no audio. I'm currently trying to play the matrix.

I have Vista premium sp1. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my xfi sound card drivers (I had installed them before installing SP1), and this helped xvid files play smoothly, but the dvd is still really choppy.

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #12 of 13 Old 05-26-2008, 03:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Those of you who are having problem with powerDVD video stuttering, should take a closer look at the audio settings. Surprisingly, when powerdvd has problems with audio, it directly affects the video. Try changing different audio settings; and/or update your sound card driver.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As reported in many posts first make sure Vista is running in best performance mode before you try anything else. Even quad cpu's can experience stuttering especially if they have to deal with some of these advance audio codecs.

I was experiencing audio drop outs on regular DVD's under VMC and real bad stuttering on BD disks on PDVD when Vista was set to optimize performance and experience.

Chris
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page