The Over the Air Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Compatable with ReplayTVs Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

In fact if this gets much bigger we may have Henry roll a new linux boot CD with more current network drivers and all the latest rid files to make it all that much easier.

Good luck with that!

I'm pretty happy having WiRNS to take care of whatever box I decide to get. Although, I have to say, you sure are making it a lot easier for me to pick which box I should purchase. But, I'm getting two just for fun because I have cable and just want to play with OTA (and you never know what you might need them for in the future). But, I'm going to owe you for all the great information and research you have provided, Ken!

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Or someone else could roll it and you could upload it since you are the only Extract/Patch developer left in the building.

For that matter we could upload an updated boot CD over at jp1. I'm doing just fine myself but the last person I talked through the import process had to start over with a full install of WiRNS. Of course most will want that anyway eventually but I'd rather see them blasting first and then work up to full blown WiRNS as the need arises.
post #63 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks KenL. I called the local Circuit City Store and they have the Zenith DTT900 in stock and the clerk said the box did have an April 2008 label on it. I found my IR Blaster cable from my ReplayTV box down in the basement.

I am not sure what you meant by "Zenith DTT900 works great with the 4K/5K replays using said imported blaster code". I may have to ask you for a play-by-play on how to get the ReplayTV mind-melded to the Zenith box if I have any problems figuring it out myself. I think the only code you provided in this string (I could be wrong) was the code 144 for Channel Master. I don't know if you shared the code for controlling the Zenith.
post #64 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Or someone else could roll it and you could upload it since you are the only Extract/Patch developer left in the building.

For that matter we could upload an updated boot CD over at jp1. I'm doing just fine myself but the last person I talked through the import process had to start over with a full install of WiRNS. Of course most will want that anyway eventually but I'd rather see them blasting first and then work up to full blown WiRNS as the need arises.

Or, maybe you could get FlipFlop to update the image!

Actually, I would probably be happy to help any way I can. I just wanted to give you a hard time for volunteering me!

The Linux variations have changes so much since FlipFlop first made that boot image, it would be interesting to decide where to even begin. The last time I personally made a UNIX boot image (about 2001), I used FreeBSD and pruned it down to something reasonable.

But, I'm so into playing with WiRNS, now, that needing boot images has kind of left my mind... Especially with wanting to create the custom lineups including subchannel support. Of course, this is all just more fun for me because I will be using cable for "real" recording, but want to play with the OTA settop boxes and see if I can't make WiRNS work better with them because I think it's going to be important for many others.

Of course, if anyone wants to make the whole thing and just wants me to post it, I was certainly happy to post the Extract GUI for Bruce, so I'd be happy to post whatever as well...

By the way, I haven't read about uploading rid files with the boot image in a long, long time, but does it require you to go through the photo partition in order to do it (that you have to have space configured on your photo partition)? Is this true for adding rid files via WiRNS as well? I haven't configured photo partitions on any of my Replays, so that could be a reason for me to stick with the RCA box instead of the Zenith...

Henry
post #65 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

I think you are overlooking the fact that I skillfully squeezed the information out of him with immaculately good timing.

Definitely immaculately good timing oh bovine great one!

Henry
post #66 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Henry

I prefer Great BIG cow
post #67 of 203 Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...By the way, I haven't read about uploading rid files with the boot image in a long, long time, but does it require you to go through the photo partition in order to do it (that you have to have space configured on your photo partition)? Is this true for adding rid files via WiRNS as well? I haven't configured photo partitions on any of my Replays, so that could be a reason for me to stick with the RCA box instead of the Zenith...

Henry

Without a photo partition the only option is likely to use extract to overwrite an existing rid file set. Otherwise it's well worth it to offload and reformat with a minimal photo partition. Or set up an all new (re- purposed?) ReplayTV just for OTA duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadubba View Post

...I am not sure what you meant by "Zenith DTT900 works great with the 4K/5K replays using said imported blaster code". I may have to ask you for a play-by-play on how to get the ReplayTV mind-melded to the Zenith box if I have any problems figuring it out myself.

It means you need to download the new code here and follow the instructions at the top of the section to get the custom rid file loaded on the 5060 using the scripts with a manual net connect.

Of course if all that fails you can always wimp out and "fall back" to the lesser RCA.
post #68 of 203 Old 05-28-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Henry

Quote:

I prefer Great BIG cow

Ok, I'm being modest. If you only knew ($) ($) ...I wish I could tell you. Ok, what the heck. According to the contract I signed long ago: when I die I'll will become simply known as "The Supreme" TVs across the nation will light up with beautiful Actors/Actresses testifing how great I am, and display my self-portrait mashup in the background as they gush about my quality and taste. It has already been decided this will kick off a nationwide feast that will last exactly six weeks runnig concurantly to the televised celebration in my honour. They tell me I will stay in the hearts of many till the day they die. Just wow. Sometimes I think about all of this and cry for a few.

I was always good at contracts. I also nailed a deal with 24 Hour Fitness. I paid $900? I think for 3 years and only $20 A Year! thereafter for life. I rarely go though because the agent they assigned me steers me away. He says the producers don't want the look of my body to change at-all! That's fine though. I don't mind not going.
post #69 of 203 Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I'm being modest. If you only knew ($) ($) ...I wish I could tell you. Ok, what the heck. According to the contract I signed long ago: when I die I'll will become simply known as "The Supreme" TVs across the nation will light up with beautiful Actors/Actresses testifing how great I am, and display my self-portrait mashup in the background as they gush about my quality and taste. It has already been decided this will kick off a nationwide feast that will last exactly six weeks runnig concurantly to the televised celebration in my honour. They tell me I will stay in the hearts of many till the day they die. Just wow. Sometimes I think about all of this and cry for a few.

I was always good at contracts. I also nailed a deal with 24 Hour Fitness. I paid $900? I think for 3 years and only $20 A Year! thereafter for life. I rarely go though because the agent they assigned me steers me away. He says the producers don't want the look of my body to change at-all! That's fine though. I don't mind not going.

Off your meds again?

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #70 of 203 Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas View Post

Off your meds again?

Seriously doubt that, but looks like *another* Curmudgeon forgot extra layers of combat hosiery?
post #71 of 203 Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas View Post

Off your meds again?

Just what the world needs, another pharm bully.

I concede that--unlike your comment--nothing I write will ever stand up to writers of TV shows, like, say, Desperate Housewives, which averages ~23 million viewers a week, and can't be expected to live up to the normalicy these viewers have established.
post #72 of 203 Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never watched a single episode of Desperate Housewives, and I don't think one could persuade me to change this.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #73 of 203 Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I'm with you nded, but my wife and teenage daughter would poke me with sharp sticks if it didn't get recorded in my house. In HD, preferably.
post #74 of 203 Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Can anyone confirm if the Channel Master unit can be controlled by a Replay 3xxx or Showstopper? If so, which code did you use? Thanks!!
post #75 of 203 Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garddog32 View Post

Can anyone confirm if the Channel Master unit can be controlled by a Replay 3xxx or Showstopper? If so, which code did you use? Thanks!!

Hmm...I use a channel master antenna rotator..it uses the pioneer codes and you can assign a "channel" number (2 digit) to any antenna point.....if the channel master cecb could be controlled by the replaytv then potentially I could use the dual emitter IR blaster cable (got one from my tv I think) to control both the antenna AND the digital box..I have one channel that requires antenna rotation to get tuned in where the other 4 come in pointed at one location.

If anyone does get the cecb working please give a yell or if you see issues with this idea let me know that too please.

Right now I just use a samsung and keep the antenna on the 4 main channels.
post #76 of 203 Old 05-31-2008, 07:00 PM

If anyone is interested, I got my ancient 2K unit's never used IR blaster to talk to a Radio Shack coupon'd unit, an NHENS "Digital Stream" DTX-9900. I used Dish Network local, blaster code 0899.

This works because Dish maps local OTAs to their correct slots. But because Dish doesn't have the sub-channels, I can't tune them with the Replay remote, see them in the guide or set up manual recordings for them either unless I can come up with a work-around. Not a lot of work-arounds with these old 2K units. So for now I will only get main channels.

It is a bummer that these coupon eligible units don't have S-Video, but the quality is quite nice at medium setting. And this unit does have anamorphic, as well as 14:9 and 16:9 settings.

Oh, and I had to lock out hundreds of unused Dish channels to keep the channel guide accurate. But since the Replay gets guide info for the channels you don't want, I guess it means the nightly calls to the mother ship are going to be lengthy! The initial set-up call took over half an hour.

"The '90s called, they want their technology back!"

"Manuals? What manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!!"
post #77 of 203 Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

I have received and integrated the Channel Master CM-70 Digital to Analog box to my Replay, using IR code 0144. No special IR file downloads were required. I got mine at Summit Source. They accept the $40 coupons (if anyone has any non-expired ones). This unit has S-Video and a couple screen display options. (Still playing with those). I think Fry's has these too, but not sure if they accept the coupons.
post #78 of 203 Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM

My ReplayTV IR Blaster controls a Channel Master CM-7000 using code 0144. Using S-video input on #2 with "nothing" on remaining and Dish programming, I have a good result.
I also have an Insignia which does not slave and an RCA which does.
The Insignia seems to have a superior chip and channels can be added. It is fast and crisp and modern. However, the remote volume only controls the converter which is awkward.
The RCA crashes and channels cannot be added. It is slow and the menus are out of a cartoon book. The remote volume control does control the TV: the amp rather than the pre-amp if you will.
The Channel Master is slower and cruder than the RCA. It does seem to be stable. The channel add feature works. It seems to be more sensitive than either of the others to a marginal signal.
On programming, Dish is better than DirectTV. The DirectTV programming included corrupt files which caused the Replay to crash upon viewing the Guide info.
I'll try to talk Radio Shack out of a DTX9900 demo to see if the Replay 5040 can control that.
I'd like to make the Insignia work and know it is within my abilities to learn what the **** WIRNS is but there must be something better to do with my time. Please let me know if there is a file I can download, burn, and play through some peripheral to teach the Insignia to respond to IR commands from the 50 40. Thanks.
post #79 of 203 Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 PM

The DTX9900 is a nice converter and the ReplayTV 5040 would activate it using code 0899 as suggested above. It would not control channel selection however. Regardless of hardware and positional changes (including polarized sunglasses as a filter) double IR commands resulted in duplicated digits for channel selection. EG, the Replay would command channel 5 but the DTX would respond with 55. You could see the DTX was receiving multiple commands as its power light would flash repeatedly. No other codes made it work and I even checked the lettered ones. Too bad but my relatives are sending me the coupons I had them order now that they realize they don't need them on cable (for now). I tried codes 749, 819 as suggested below with no luck. My 5040 codes stop at 7999 so I could not try 8749 or 9749 or later key them in directly per Kiwin's instructions below. The Radio Shack clerk said to keep an eye out for the forthcoming EchoStar converter since they make all the Dish boxes, for which ReplayTVs have codes.
POSTSCRIPT: KIWIN NOTED THAT THE IR BLASTER TRANSMISSION MAY BE FINE TUNED BY PRESSING "REPLAY ZONES" IN SETUP. YOU CAN THEN KEY THE CODE NUMBER IN DIRECTLY. THERE ARE OTHER VARIABLES SUCH AS DELAY, MINIMUM # DIGITS, AND "SEND ENTER" THAT CAN BE ADJUSTED. I WONDER IF TWEAKING THESE WOULD HAVE HELPED BEFORE I RETURNED THE UNIT.
KIWIN STATES IN THE SUCCESS THREAD RE THE RCA UNIT

Connect RCA DTA-800B composite video and audio output to ReplayTV input 1
On ReplayTV in "Menu" \\ "Setup" \\ "Network and Input Settings" \\
"Change IN 1":
choose "Satellite box"
choose "DISH Los Angeles" (or your metro area or DirecTV local seems to work - national will not give local stations)
Satellite Box brand": Other
On "available Code Sets" press the "Replay Zones" button.
change "Enable Fine Tuning" to "Yes"
Codeset: "0566" use the number keys on the remote to type the 4 numbers
Send Enter: yes
Minimum digits to send: 1
All the delays should be: 200ms
post #80 of 203 Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 AM

I successfully got the Replay 3000 to control the DigitalStream DTX-9950 last night.

Use IR blaster code 749, 819, 899, 8749 or 9749. All of them turned on and off the unit. I left it at 9749 and then successfully tested changing channels.

Channel change lag was awful though.. appx 4 seconds by the time the Replay switched to the input, vs the 1 second delay I had on the RCA DTA800B.

I'm going to try to interface the Tivax unit next week.
post #81 of 203 Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM

The Radio Shack DTX9900 is reasonably quick, has a universal remote that controls the TV's audio amplifier directly, and has an additional scan feature which allows it to add stations after the rotor repositions the antenna. It is my recommendation for non-ReplayTV users. As noted above, it could not make channel selections for either of my ReplayTV 5040s.
It was quick enough (not Insignia speed but faster than the RCA) as opposed to the comments above regarding the DTX-9950 so I suspect they use different chips.
post #82 of 203 Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

My Channel Master CM-7000 and my RCA DTA800 were hooked to the same feed through a splitter and recorded the same RF-48, renumbered 5, program on separate 5040s under poor reception conditions. The DTA800 produced numerous video and audio drop-outs. The CM-7000 was dramatically drop-out free. This was not a scientific experiment but the signal off the attic mounted beam was boosted 22 db at the mast so coax length should not have played a part. Adversity included rain and overcast conditions-shooting through a wet asphalt shingle roof and a big wet decicuous tree.
The CM-7000 is slow, there is about a 5 second delay on channel changing. I don't know if the S input has given me any quality but my perceptions were colored by finding it so slow. The remote is not universal but this is irrelevant for ReplayTV users.
Anyway, it is the only option outside of the Motorola for ReplayTV 5040 users. It doesn't crash, freeze or lose audio like the Motorola either. Check Ebay for the Motorola although WalMart, Lynwood, had them last month. Summit Source took my coupon and $40 for the Channel Master.
post #83 of 203 Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfree View Post

My Channel Master CM-7000 and my RCA DTA800 were hooked to the same feed through a splitter and recorded the same RF-48, renumbered 5, program on separate 5040s under poor reception conditions. The DTA800 produced numerous video and audio drop-outs. The CM-7000 was dramatically drop-out free. This was not a scientific experiment but the signal off the attic mounted beam was boosted 22 db at the mast so coax length should not have played a part. Adversity included rain and overcast conditions-shooting through a wet asphalt shingle roof and a big wet decicuous tree.
The CM-7000 is slow, there is about a 5 second delay on channel changing. I don't know if the S input has given me any quality but my perceptions were colored by finding it so slow. The remote is not universal but this is irrelevant for ReplayTV users.
Anyway, it is the only option outside of the Motorola for ReplayTV 5040 users. It doesn't crash, freeze or lose audio like the Motorola either. Check Ebay for the Motorola although WalMart, Lynwood, had them last month. Summit Source took my coupon and $40 for the Channel Master.

Does the channel master handle subchannels via replaytv as in dialing 022 for channel 2.2? (obviously only useful on manual records).
post #84 of 203 Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I use wirns, so I have set up cahnnels like 2.2 to be 22 with a 243 Zones fine tuning to always send 3 characters.

Works Great.
post #85 of 203 Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM

I tried 022 and various alternatives on the Replay remote but did not convince the Channel Master to tune to a subchannel. Obviously, in LIVE Replay viewing, you can use the Channel Master remote to tune to any digital channel or subchannel. I also tried changing the FINE TUNING to require a minimum of 3 digits to be sent without result.
post #86 of 203 Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfree View Post

I tried 022 and various alternatives on the Replay remote but did not convince the Channel Master to tune to a subchannel. Obviously, in LIVE Replay viewing, you can use the Channel Master remote to tune to any digital channel or subchannel.

I don't believe that the Replay remote gets sent directly to the IR blaster. First you tune to a channel that the Replay recognizes, and then the Replay tunes the STB. So, there really isn't any difference between entering a channel number through the remote, using channel up and down, selecting a channel through the channel guide, or the Replay tuning to a channel to record a show. If you can't get the STB to tune to the correct channel, then there probably has to be something wrong with the IR configuration. Anyway, my point is that entering "022" on the Replay remote doesn't actually make the Replay send "022" to the STB. Changing the IR fine tuning as described for 3 digits is what makes it send "022" whenever the Replay attempts to tune to channel 22...

Henry
post #87 of 203 Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

DTV Converter Coupon Program Hits Snag
http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/c...its_Snag.shtml
by TVB Staff | June 13, 2008
Federal officials told lawmakers this week they're running out of postage for the DTV converter coupon program. Bernadette McGuire-Rivera, associate director of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, told the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications that the program needed more money, "basically to buy more stamps," for sending out coupons, according to Reuters.

Congress authorized $1.5 billion for the program two years ago when it passed the DTV deadline bill. The money, pulled out of the resulting television spectrum auction proceeds, was allocated in two payments; the first one totaling $990 million (less $100 million administrative costs, including postage); the second one, $510 million, (less $600,000 admin).

The program was intended to subsidize digital reception devices for legacy analog TV sets. Congress set up parameters, instructing the NTIA to send up to two $40 coupons per household based on first-come, first serve, requests. The same bill also set an expiration time period of 90 days from date of issue.

Therein lay the snag. Of the 15.4 million coupons mailed out by the NTIA, more than half have already expired. (That's $337,206 at first-class flat ratesalbeit not government bulk rates.) Another 11.3 million have yet to be redeemed.

As many as 20 million TV households rely exclusively on over-the-air television, according to the Government Accountability Office. Some Washington lobbies put the number at closer to 11 million. The reality is, no one knows for sure, and the requests keep pouring in at the NTIA at a rate of around 700,000 per week.

Of the initial $890 million dedicated for the $40 coupons, $638 million has been spent. Because two disbursements were initially approved, the NTIA isn't requesting money that hasn't already been allocated to the program.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #88 of 203 Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm looking (and hoping) for a simple solution......

I have three 5000 series replays. Two are together in one room and the other is alone in another room. I recently aquired a Zenith DTT-900 and 901 digital converter (they seem to be the same, other than the analog pass through on the 901).

I have no computer at home, limited knowledge of computers and a very tight budget.

Is there any (simple) way for me to get the replays to control channel changes on the Zenith boxes? I'm very satisfied with the Zeniths and would like to use them. Not having channel change is a major problem and a big dissapointment!

Is there some way of inputting a specific code number on the 5000's (without involving a computer, software, etc.)?

Any suggestions and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!
post #89 of 203 Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM

I was unsuccessful in trying to control an Insignia with an 5040 . The Insignia is said to be a clone of the Zenith. The only reported successes are the RCA and the Channel Master although I suspect the Digital Stream may be made to work. Please see my posting above in this regard and in regard to direct entry of codes. Codes may be keyed in after enabling Fine Tuning but codes not listed on the machine are rejected. There are postings regarding adding codes through something called WIRNS but I have not tried it as it is complicated and problems could arise.
post #90 of 203 Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM

I have 3 replays that are various '5000' units. I have purchased two Zenith DTT900s for two of them to use as a way to record digitally. I've downloaded KenL's remote codes, and downloaded WiRNS. I have a network, consisting of a cable modem, that feeds a 24 port switch. I am able to do all sorts of transfers between computers on my network, so I know that works. My computers run Vista, but I've also tried on an XP computer, but I can't get the 'shellcmds' file to run via the Net Connect. WiRNS is flaky on all of these computers, the server seems to run, but not the application program. When I configure my ReplayTV for static net settings, it immediately checks the network, finds something strange, then resets the settings to a useable number. The other files are in the proper photo partition, but the pesky shellcmds file won't get there. I'm finally giving up and asking for help. Thanks!!!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page