The Over the Air Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Compatable with ReplayTVs Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 203 Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've posted in another thread here about my experiences with the CM-7000 and a 2000-series DVR.

Summary: so far, depending on the IR blaster settings, I have a choice of either (a) ability to control subchannel switching through the IR blaster, but the Program Guide is useless, or (b) ability to use the Program Guide, but no access to subchannels for channels 1 through 9.

I'm intrigued by satpro's success with the RCA DTA800 reported here--and to be honest, a little skeptical. Maybe I need to try setting the IR blaster to send 4 digits instead of 1, 2, or 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 203 Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you use directv local and then select rca dtc-100 as your satellite receiver? That has all you need to operate dta800 cecb.
post #93 of 203 Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks for replying, satpro.

I do use DirectTV local. (I also tried Dish local for kicks; however its local station numbers aren't quite as accurate as DirectTV in terms of matching up to the OTA numbers.)

I'm using a Channel Master CM-7000, not the RCA box, so the IR blaster code is 0144 which I believe is a Pioneer code.

If I set the IR blaster via fine tuning to send a minimum of 1 digit (or 2), then for any given channel in the Program Guide, it sends the main channel number, and after a delay the CM defaults to subchannel 1 of that channel. E.g. if I set the DVR to channel 4, the CM receives 04 and then tunes to 4-1. If I tune to 20, the CM receives 20 and then tunes to 20-1.

However I don't think this allows me to set up manual records of subchannels of channels 1 through 9 (in my area, that would be 2, 4, 5, 7, and 9). IIRC you wrote that with your setup you could get the DVR to switch the RCA box to channel 2-2 by tuning the DVR to 0022. If I do that from my remote--or, it seems, from the manual record menu--the DVR just switches to channel 22 and sends 22 to the CM, causing the CM to try to tune 22-1.

I can tune to sub-channels above 9 this way. E.g. if I want 44-2, I just set the DVR to 442; it sends 442 to the CM, which tunes 44-2.

The only alternative I've found is to set the IR blaster to send a minimum of 3 digits. With this, if I want e.g. 2-2, I tune the DVR to 22 and it sends 022. If I want 22-1 I tune the DVR to 221 and it sends 221. The problem is that the Program Guide is now useless for tuning or recording. E.g. if I use the Program Guide to go to channel 2, the IR blaster just sends 002, which the CM nonsensically believes to be channel 00.2. A little more reasonably, but still wrong, if I use the Program Guide to go to channel 44, the IR blaster sends 044 and the CM tries to tune 4.4.

Basically I'm surprised that your setup is letting you tune channels 2 and 22 from the Program Guide and channel 2-2 via direct input, but the RCA box and/or the IR blaster operation for the code associated with the dta-100 may just work in a way that gets around the issues I've encountered.
post #94 of 203 Old 06-28-2008, 06:43 PM

So if I understand correctly, there are 3 boxes that the a Replay 5040 can control. There is the RCA but that box has lock up issues. There is the Channel Master CM-7000 but subchannels cannot be tuned. Then there is the Zenith boxes but that one requires Wirns to make a change on the Replay's software and you need a newer box so you don't have audio issues.

Is that correct?

I used one of my coupons and bought a Zenith 900 box from Circuit City. They did not have any 901's yet but did have the April 08 boxes (which is what I got).

I hooked it up and the box works but of course there is no built in code to change channels. I am not interested in any of the subchannels and the guide data from the local cable company has the proper channels for the stations I want.

After turning off the "auto turn off" feature, I am happy with the Zenith box. So, can anyone give me a short course on what I need to do to get the IR codes loaded? I do have a photo partition on that replay.

If it is a hassle, I suppose I can always go and get the Channel Master box.

-SeeSpotRun
post #95 of 203 Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Just a note that the DTVPal's are available for $59.99 + shipping so $20 after coupon.

Features:

Analog pass-though
Switch between digital and analog channels with the push of a button

On-screen program guide
See what's showing on every channel with the FREE on-screen program guide

Event timer
Set a timer to turn your DTVPal on and tuned to the desired channel before your favorite show starts playing

Programming search
Search by name for the shows you want to watch

Alternative audio
Receive second audio feed in alternate language (broadcaster dependent)

Closed-captioning
Easily turn on closed captions using your DTVPal remote control

Parental controls
Block programs you deem inappropriate based on rating or channel

Stereo audio output
Enjoy enhanced sound when connected to your stereo TV

Setup Wizard
Automatic channel selection and easy setup

http://www.dtvpal.com/
post #96 of 203 Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Can a Replay control a DTVpal?

-SeeSpotRun
post #97 of 203 Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
As I mentioned in an earlier post......
I am soooo desperate for assistance with this problem!......
I have three 5040's. Due to illness and financial constraints, I have had to give up cable and rely solely on three Zenith DT-900's. I need to be able to change channels using the IR blasters (for recording purposes). However, I have limited knowledge of computers, networks, etc. I'm impressed with what I've read about adding a new code for the Zenith CECB's. I have a notebook computer which works off of a cable modem and router, which is in my neighbor's apartment downstairs (he is graciously allowing me to share his cable internet).

Is there a relatively simple method (for me......a non-geek) to download this code to my 5040 units? Bear in mind that they are being used independently in two different rooms, with no network applications whatsoever.
Can I do something temporary just to download the Zenith code and then continue using my Replay's as I always have?
Is there any potential for harming the Replay's in any way?
I'm very satisfied with the Zenith (April) boxes and don't really want to switch to other boxes (or have the extra money to do so).

Is there any chance for me to get this done easily?
(I apologize in advance for not being very computer literate).

Thank you!
post #98 of 203 Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Has anyone tried controlling an Apex DT250 with a ReplayTV 5K IR blaster?

After mis-reading a post I used one of my coupons on a Zenith DTT900, thinking I could control it, but no-go. With no photo partition on my ReplayTV 5516 I don't think I'll be pushing new blaster codes to it soon.

So I'm hoping somebody's tried the Apex successfully. I'm not optimistic since I've never heard of an Apex cable box, but there's a lot I haven't heard of.
post #99 of 203 Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

<<br /> What this means is going to a big busy Circuit City and digging though all the stock in search of boxes with this on the (center) barcode sticker on the exterior cardboard box.>

Ken, can you re-upload this image. It's NA.

Thanks

--Andy--
post #100 of 203 Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

As I mentioned in an earlier post......
I am soooo desperate for assistance with this problem!......
I have three 5040's. Due to illness and financial constraints, I have had to give up cable and rely solely on three Zenith DT-900's. I need to be able to change channels using the IR blasters (for recording purposes). However, I have limited knowledge of computers, networks, etc. I'm impressed with what I've read about adding a new code for the Zenith CECB's. I have a notebook computer which works off of a cable modem and router, which is in my neighbor's apartment downstairs (he is graciously allowing me to share his cable internet).

Is there a relatively simple method (for me......a non-geek) to download this code to my 5040 units? Bear in mind that they are being used independently in two different rooms, with no network applications whatsoever.
Can I do something temporary just to download the Zenith code and then continue using my Replay's as I always have?
Is there any potential for harming the Replay's in any way?
I'm very satisfied with the Zenith (April) boxes and don't really want to switch to other boxes (or have the extra money to do so).

Is there any chance for me to get this done easily?
(I apologize in advance for not being very computer literate).

Thank you!

......anyone......PLEASE!!......THANKS!!!!
post #101 of 203 Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post

Ken, can you re-upload this image. It's NA.

Thanks

Disregard the serial number in that image, all April 2008 (or newer) DTT900 units seem to be OK.

But get a Zenith DTT901 now if at all possible, those units are all good and use the same blaster code.
post #102 of 203 Old 07-03-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
btw, KenL, if you have a distant mild curiousity whether I got the april zeniths.. Yes, I did, 2, haven't used them yet. I only found/used 2 of the 4 cards I got my hands on.
post #103 of 203 Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSpotRun View Post

So if I understand correctly, there are 3 boxes that the a Replay 5040 can control. There is the RCA but that box has lock up issues. There is the Channel Master CM-7000 but subchannels cannot be tuned. Then there is the Zenith boxes but that one requires Wirns to make a change on the Replay's software and you need a newer box so you don't have audio issues.

Is that correct?

I used one of my coupons and bought a Zenith 900 box from Circuit City. They did not have any 901's yet but did have the April 08 boxes (which is what I got).

I hooked it up and the box works but of course there is no built in code to change channels. I am not interested in any of the subchannels and the guide data from the local cable company has the proper channels for the stations I want.

After turning off the "auto turn off" feature, I am happy with the Zenith box. So, can anyone give me a short course on what I need to do to get the IR codes loaded? I do have a photo partition on that replay.

-SeeSpotRun

......Is there a risk factor in downloading this new code to the 5040?
Can it cause any harm to the unit (or create major headaches to resolve)?
Is it a complicated procedure? What other equipment does it require?
Is anyone able to provide specific (step by step) details as to how it's done?
(I've never used Wirns previously for any purpose and am somewhat of a novice but I'm very anxious to be able to use the Zenith to change channels on the 5040 and I'm willing to learn).

......Please......any (detailed) assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!
post #104 of 203 Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Can a Replay control a DTVpal?

-SeeSpotRun

The dtvpal was just released so I can't say for certain however the assumption is that since it's released by directv it would use the directtv codes which are supported by the replay. Even if it does not the event timer in it would allow you to configure the dtvpal to change to whatever channel you needed at whatever time you needed and not even use an ir blaster theoretically. You wouldn't even have to do manual records..just click on the show you want to record on whatever channel it shows up...let it do a line in record at the same time you have the event on the dtvpal set.
post #105 of 203 Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post

The dtvpal was just released so I can't say for certain however the assumption is that since it's released by directv it would use the directtv codes which are supported by the replay. Even if it does not the event timer in it would allow you to configure the dtvpal to change to whatever channel you needed at whatever time you needed and not even use an ir blaster theoretically. You wouldn't even have to do manual records..just click on the show you want to record on whatever channel it shows up...let it do a line in record at the same time you have the event on the dtvpal set.

......Actually, the "DTVpal" is a Dish Network product (not DirectTV).
Supposedly, it uses a Dish Network code.
Has anyone had any (successful) experience using a "DTVpal" with Replaytv?

BTW - If you read recent comments from users of the "DTVpal" (on this forum), you'll find that there are several reported "bugs" (some involving the much anticipated program timer), making it questionable as a reliable unit. Additionally, the EPG is reported to be reduced considerably from the (promised) 7 days (which was one of the features that set ths unit apart from the others).
This, combined with the fact that they increased the (long promised) price by $20.00 (at the last minute before the release, no less!) and are charging a shipping charge for each unit, might take this box off of many short lists (or even long lists)......a long awaited dissapointment!
post #106 of 203 Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post

Just a note that the DTVPal's are available for $59.99 + shipping so $20 after coupon.

Features:

Analog pass-though
Switch between digital and analog channels with the push of a button

On-screen program guide
See what’s showing on every channel with the FREE on-screen program guide

Event timer
Set a timer to turn your DTVPal on and tuned to the desired channel before your favorite show starts playing

Programming search
Search by name for the shows you want to watch

Alternative audio
Receive second audio feed in alternate language (broadcaster dependent)

Closed-captioning
Easily turn on closed captions using your DTVPal remote control

Parental controls
Block programs you deem inappropriate based on rating or channel

Stereo audio output
Enjoy enhanced sound when connected to your stereo TV

Setup Wizard
Automatic channel selection and easy setup

http://www.dtvpal.com/

If you read recent comments from users of the "DTVpal" (on this forum), you'll find that there are several reported "bugs" (some involving the much anticipated program timer), making it questionable as a reliable unit. Additionally, the EPG is reported to be reduced considerably from the (promised) 7 days (which was one of the features that set ths unit apart from the others).
This, combined with the fact that they increased the (long promised) price by $20.00 (at the last minute before the release, no less!) and are charging a shipping charge for each unit, might take this box off of many short lists (or even long lists)......a long awaited dissapointment!
post #107 of 203 Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Is that correct?

-SeeSpotRun

......please check your private messages......Thanks!
post #108 of 203 Old 07-06-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Disregard the serial number in that image, all April 2008 (or newer) DTT900 units seem to be OK.

But get a Zenith DTT901 now if at all possible, those units are all good and use the same blaster code.

KenL......please check your private messages......Thank you!
post #109 of 203 Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM

I purchased a DTVPal ("Pal"), and it does work excellent with my Showstopper. As much as I dislike DISH as a company, this is a quality product. Easily the best CECB that I have used (and I have setup 5 different models, and read ~thoroughly~ about almost every other CECB that exists).

You can use the standard DISH 0775 IR blaster code, and all functions work great. In fact, using that same code with any Universal remote (under the "Satellite" button) allows you to control the DTVpal with your universal remote.

My previous experience using a Digital Stream 9950 with my SS was less-than-satisfactory. The Pal is the opposite. Channel changes have been much faster and reliable, the Pal's tuner is MUCH better than the DS 9950, as I have gained 3 channels and the others show approx 10% stronger signal, and most importantly, I was getting semi-frequent Blue-Screens with the DS 9950 playing thru the Showstopper. None with the Pal. The DTVPal runs cooler, is smaller, and executes all of its functions much faster than the DS 9950.

Potentially, you can manually tune sub-channels with the DTVPal, as any code that starts with a "0" is attempted to be interpreted as an attempt to directly tune a subchannel. Thus, "0022" is 2.2. "22" is interpreted as 22.1.

Now, this does NOT work with the Replay programmed as having DISH service. Entering, for example, "0132" (and wanting channel 13.2) is sent as "132", and is interpreted as 53.2, which I suspect is just the DTVPal tuning the highest number OTA channel in my area, since 132 is obviously invalid entry.

The Pal's Timers function is enough to satisfy my needs to record subchannel programming, at least for now. I have read that some DTVpals have timer quirks, but I have not had any issues. I seem to have the latest shipping firmware, maybe that is a difference.

If Replay would be willing to support one or two CECB's, the DTVPal would be its best choice. The DISH IR codes are already in all of their boxes, and it does interface smoothly. If we could just get a full OTA DTV channel guide, this combination would be excellent.
post #110 of 203 Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 AM

I'm told the dtvpal WILL support up to 7 days of EPG but is dependent on the information being sent from your local sources so if they are only sending 24 hours of data thats all it has to work with. Very tempted to order at least one dtvpal (my other choice is a channel master since I can probably control it and my antenna rotator at same time from replay with dual ir emitter but the channel master does not do timers....

When you set up a timer does it do it by show in the epg or a specific time/date? If a show shifted an hour would the "timer" adjust if it showed in the EPG on the new time?

I have a cheap dvr recorder too....thinking the dtvpal would be the perfect accessory.
post #111 of 203 Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM

My Radio Shack Digital Stream DTX 9950 pass-through model is controlled by the IR Blaster of my Replay 5040 using code 0899. I had none of the problems I experienced with the DTX9900.
post #112 of 203 Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfree View Post

My Radio Shack Digital Stream DTX 9950 pass-through model is controlled by the IR Blaster of my Replay 5040 using code 0899. I had none of the problems I experienced with the DTX9900.

Any chance this Rat Shack box has anmorphic 16:9 on an S-Video port?

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #113 of 203 Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

Any chance this Rat Shack box has anmorphic 16:9 on an S-Video port?

Doesn't look that way:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #114 of 203 Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up a DTX9950 from rat shack. I just hooked it up to the 5040, using code 0899 for DirectTV locals (thanks adfree), and it seems to work perfectly. I can tune all of the channels except a couple sub-channels on PBS and METV. I doesn't have S-Video, but it does do anamorphic. The picture quality is amazing compared to the analog OTA I was using.

I was going to go with the Zenith, and may still get one, but I didn't really feel like messing with Wirns. I've never used it, but may have to learn if I want all the channels mapped correctly, or if I end up with a Zenith box.

I haven't played around with it much, but I'll report back if I find anything wrong, or interesting.

--Andy--
post #115 of 203 Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 AM

Can anyone comment about whether the DTVPal supports anamorphic output?

EDIT: Seems that it does according to a couple of other on-line references.... from CNET Review:

• Full: Fills the screen on wide-screen programs, but distorts the aspect ratio on analog 4:3 TVs. However, this mode keeps wide-screen programs in the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen on wide-screen TVs.

Thanks!
post #116 of 203 Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM

I ordered a DTVpal last week and it should be here soon.

I look forword to finding out if it can be controlled by the replay as it. According to the manual (on-line), it should work with standard DTV codes.

-SeeSpotRun
post #117 of 203 Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Ok, I got the DTVpal and set it up.

The good news is that code 0775 will change channels. It looks like codes 1005, 1070, and 1071 are likely to work too because they made the light on the DTVpal blink but I haven't gone further with them. The setup is pretty slick, including a mini tv window so that while making changes, you can still watch your show. It does have analog pass through, has the ability to do timed events, has a "zoom" feature to change aspect ratios and has a much better guide than the prior Zenith box.

Now the bad news... The replay will not turn the DTVpal box on. As a result, it needs to be left on with the power save feature disabled. When you do that, you get a warning about the DTVpal not being able to do system maintainence. Also, I think that I had a stronger signal using the previous Zenith box. When the signal is too low on the DTVpal, a screen will come up offering help. The only way to get off that screen is to hit the cancel button or use chanel up or down. This a big problem because if you have to always leave the box on, and then at some point the signal gets too low, then the box will be stuck at the "signal too low" screen even if the replay issues a channel change command and you will end up with that for your entire recording.

-SeeSpotRun
post #118 of 203 Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:

...Now the bad news... The replay will not turn the DTVpal box on. As a result, it needs to be left on with the power save feature disabled. ...

Same problem with my Digital Stream DTX-9900 unit. Strange, since it does turn the unit on during the testing of blaster codes during the search (code 0899 is the one), but won't do it in normal operation.

Maybe this is because there is only one blaster signal for on and off (like a toggle) and it doesn't want to switch it off by mistake?

"Manuals? What manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!!"
post #119 of 203 Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 AM

How easy is it to get the Replay to make the DTVPal tune subchannels over the IRblaster?
post #120 of 203 Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilen View Post

How easy is it to get the Replay to make the DTVPal tune subchannels over the IRblaster?

I am going to have to plead ignorance on the subchannels. Other than using channel up or down, I don't know how to turn to a subchannel using the remote. In my area, there is only one sub channel and it is all weather so I haven't put any effort in to it.

-SeeSpotRun
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page