The Over the Air Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Compatable with ReplayTVs Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 203 Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We got the $40 vouchers for the digital-analog cable boxes. I'm not sure where they will end up but think it would be wise to get ones that are replaytv friendly.

I think I'll be calling replaytv and asking them which converter boxes are compatible, but don't bank on getting good info.

Is there a way to look up which of the boxes a replaytv can control??

Ya know a replaytv recording at High Quality from a digital-analog converter box with an svideo out isn't going to be too bad by my estimates.

Something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got my 2 vouchers too.

If anyone finds what new boxes are replay-friendly, definitely let us know.

post #3 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 AM

I have a Panasonic Showstopper (early Replaytv), and I would appreciate knowing:

(1) will a program guide for Digital OTA listings be available?
(2) which CECB boxes can be controlled with the IR blaster?
post #4 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I believe all the OTA digital to analog converter boxes being released for the Feb 09 cutover are brand new items that won't be in the several year old Replay IR database. Most likely you'll have to get the new device IR codes off the JP1 site once they're posted there and then patch them to the Replay via the photo partition. It's not a particularly difficult operation- but you need to have the device code files first...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #5 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I believe all the OTA digital to analog converter boxes being released for the Feb 09 cutover are brand new items that won't be in the several year old Replay IR database. Most likely you'll have to get the new device IR codes off the JP1 site once they're posted there and then patch them to the Replay via the photo partition. It's not a particularly difficult operation- but you need to have the device code files first...

Why would a vendor of a set-top box re-invent the wheel?

I am sure that you could get Manufacturer's A box to work with a generic code for, say, a TV or cable-box made by Manufacturer A.

There is no good reason for a vendor to develop new codes if they already have a set...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #6 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Someone just posted that the Zenith/Insignia boxes work with a Cab/Sat/DTV/WebTV code of 0267 on universal remotes in the other forum here.

Has anyone here that has a Replay (3000 preferably ) have this box and tried to connect it and get the Replay to control it to at least select the primary channel by blasting it with the local number? E.g. blasting "12" would let it select 12-1 assuming you got 12-1 or any other sub channels.
post #7 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also like to know about ReplayTV compatible coupon boxes.

There is a thread on this in the JP1 forums also:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9574

Here's a list of CECBs (coupon-eligible converter boxes)
http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Converter_Box_Retailers.html

Plus there's some more info here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #8 of 203 Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM

But a big issue is whether there (is or will be) program guide info for Digital OTA.

I tried going into the Setup for my Showstopper, and I do not see any method to receive a Program Guide for digital OTA.

Setup only provides for "Antenna" on the coax connection, for the other inputs you get to choose "Cable box" or "Satellite box".

Obviously all of those program guides would be quite different from any OTA offerings.

Likewise, I suspect that getting these old Replay's to IR-Blast one of the digital subchannels (ie 13.3) seems unlikely also.

May be too many issues to resolve them all.
post #9 of 203 Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still haven't called replaytv and simply asked about this. I think it'd be good if several people called and post what they found out.

the phone number is 254-299-2705
Operating Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5:00PM (PT)

http://www.replaytv.com/contactus.asp

I'd call now if now wasn't outside operating hours. Where's that cell phone? Ah, the number is in my cell phone now. You doing the same would be good. Wish me luck remembering to call.
post #10 of 203 Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpesq View Post

But a big issue is whether there (is or will be) program guide info for Digital OTA.

I tried going into the Setup for my Showstopper, and I do not see any method to receive a Program Guide for digital OTA.

Setup only provides for "Antenna" on the coax connection, for the other inputs you get to choose "Cable box" or "Satellite box".

Obviously all of those program guides would be quite different from any OTA offerings.

Likewise, I suspect that getting these old Replay's to IR-Blast one of the digital subchannels (ie 13.3) seems unlikely also.

May be too many issues to resolve them all.

The ability to get sub channels is pretty obviously going to be a No.

However here is what I'm thinking regarding getting guide data: *IF* you have a local cable company that maps the OTA channels to the same cable channels, simply tell your Replay that you have that cable service. Then go into setup and remove the extra channels you don't get leaving just the 'locals'. Then it will try to tune to say, channel 5. Your CECB gets 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3. It will send "5" to the cecb, and after a few seconds it should default to 5-1 which would be the digital OTA equivelent of your cable TV selection on channel 5.

Obviously this won't work for everyone, but it's possible it would work for most.... Provided 2 things: The replay can blast the correct code, AND the CECB will accept a partial channel number and then switch to first sub-channel after being sent just that partial number.
post #11 of 203 Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

The ability to get sub channels is pretty obviously going to be a No.

However here is what I'm thinking regarding getting guide data: *IF* you have a local cable company that maps the OTA channels to the same cable channels, simply tell your Replay that you have that cable service. Then go into setup and remove the extra channels you don't get leaving just the 'locals'. Then it will try to tune to say, channel 5. Your CECB gets 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3. It will send "5" to the cecb, and after a few seconds it should default to 5-1 which would be the digital OTA equivelent of your cable TV selection on channel 5.

Obviously this won't work for everyone, but it's possible it would work for most.... Provided 2 things: The replay can blast the correct code, AND the CECB will accept a partial channel number and then switch to first sub-channel after being sent just that partial number.

This is what I did for getting my OTA ATSC channels from my Samsung HDTV receiver into my 5K Replay. Totally transparent, it just works.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #12 of 203 Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just determined that the rca dta800 box can be controled by using the same remote code as a rca brand directv satellite receiver this is also the same as the drd420. Any one with a replaytv could set up their replay to tune to the main channel and use the directv rca code.

I am even able to tune sub channels programmed in a manual record. For instance, if I want the replay to tune the dta800 to 56-2 I set it to tune channel 0562 or if I want replay to tune to channel 9-2 I set it to tune 0092, the dta800 inserts the dash itself and tunes to the right channel.
post #13 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

replay3030,

you can get your guide data to match up for main channels by selecting directv local instead of national
post #14 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

They've got a funny website for that RCA DTA800 at http://www.keepmytv.com/

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #15 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of 3030s, can a Showstopper/2K/3K even function with todays Sat. lineup? I can remember out of memory problems connecting/loading guide back when there was only half as many Sat. channels.

Probably won't be an issue too much longer but what native lineup would work best for SS/2K/3K CECB listings?

Of course with the clockset panel installed they should chug away virtually forever (without listings) in manual mode. At least as long as someone keeps nudging the clock back into range. Die hards may have to pull these units out of moth balls sooner than we think if we (nostalgically) wish to keep using ReplayTVs after DNNA finishes pulling the plug.
post #16 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw a model at ratshack. It was $60 and only had COMPOSITE OUT. The one satpro mentioned above only has composite out too. I hope enough selection has svideo out.
post #17 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM

good news on that rca box. Bad news is no s-video according to other research I've found. Can you please confirm this satpro?
post #18 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Does anybody know what were to happen if one tries to return/exchange a converter box purchased w/ the coupon?

I want to try one of the boxes already mentioned that works for the RTV (Replay3030Owner says somebody else said Zenith/Insignia works, satpro says the RCA's work too).

That being said, I was wondering what features in these qualifying converter boxes should I look for? Here's a feature matrix I am looking at. I am not sure what would be unnecessary for us trying to use it combined with our RTV's. For instance, I imagine the EPG would be pointless, as would Universal Remote Control being that the IR blaster would be controlling it. If I try out a box and turns out it doesn't work at all with an RTV, would I be able to return/exchange it if I bought it with a coupon?
post #19 of 203 Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majik View Post

Does anybody know what were to happen if one tries to return/exchange a converter box purchased w/ the coupon?

All sales are final w/ coupon. Exchange only during the normal period and only for eligible product. No cash back or other credit for the coupon portion of the sale. And notice how most retailers (so far) only carry a single eligible item.

So make sure to try before you coupon.

As for the lack of S-video it's likely somewhat irrelevant with a Replay 5K. The quality of the downscaling is really a much bigger factor. I've found many (if not most) of these boxes may look cleaner using composite instead S going into at least a 5K unit. Something about the process must do a good comb filter cause it seems to look slightly smoother... but again that is only when connecting to a replay.

Connecting directly to many/most cheap tube sets S-video usually looks better and of course going out of the replay, S-Video is the really only useful option for the most part, short of offloading mpegs.
post #20 of 203 Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Please post confirmed identifiction of a coupon box that will work with Replay 5000. Insignia NS-DXA1 will not as it uses unincluded codes 0091, 0463, 0464, and 8043 according to help line. My plan is to let the 5000 download local cable program guide which corresponds to broadcast digital tv channels once the IR blaster can command the coupon box. My best prospect is RCA DTA800B as postings indicate a 3030s owner can turn it on with my codes 0392 or 0533 (unfortunately he uses 5392 which I lack) I see above that a Replay owner had luck using a rca sat box code. The DTX 9900 from Radio shack is said to have many built in codes. PLEASE ID ANY BOX THAT A 5000 CAN COMMAND.
post #21 of 203 Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM

errr.... a crazy idea came to mind.....

There's a lot of space in a 5000 series Replay case... no?

Any chance these Digital-to-Analog converters would be small enough (and run cool enough) to put inside the Replay case?

I assume it would require drilling and maybe some dremel work on the case to get access to the converter's jacks.

Anyone foolish enough to undertake such a project and go where no man has gone before?

RCA DTA800 Dimensions per Amazon: 5.1 x 7.5 x 1.4 inches (Just a little larger than a hard drive)
post #22 of 203 Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

RCA DTA800 = Directv RCA DTC100 in command set. set your provider to directv local and select that model.
post #23 of 203 Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM

RCA DTA800 = Directv RCA DTC100 in command set. set your provider to directv local and select that model.

Reply: That would be IR code 0392 again. Did this work with your ReplayTV 5000-RCA DTA800 setup? Was it the DTA800A or DTA800B? There is a spreadsheet online that specifies DTA800B compatibility. Thank you for the info.
post #24 of 203 Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Called Replay and got a guy in Texas who said it was purchased by Direct TV. Said there would be no uploads of Remote IR codes or broadcast digital programming guides. I wonder how that squares with the eternal activation agreement when all broadcast is digital.
Tried 0267 (mentioned in forum) on my Insignia thinking it might do channel selection but no joy.
An online spreadsheet says that 0267 works with Zenith/Insignia and points to info in the remote battery compartment from Harmony. My Insignia remote has no such info. Maybe the Zenith would work while the Insignia co-designation was an unwarranted extrapolation.
Checked out the operators' manual for the Digital Stream at Radio Shack but the extensive IR codes mentioned by a reviewer pertained to individual remote buttons rather than being several four digit codes. Forget the Digital Stream unless you are an unemployed programer.
Best bet remains RCA.
My experimental Insignia digital converter was configured as a sat box and the program guide matched broadcast here in North Seattle. I recorded using manual remote channel selection and Commercial Advance worked better than ever on playback. I did not want a consumer lobotomy.
post #25 of 203 Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfree View Post

Called Replay and got a guy in Texas who said it was purchased by Direct TV. Said there would be no uploads of Remote IR codes or broadcast digital programming guides. I wonder how that squares with the eternal activation agreement when all broadcast is digital.

Sounds like the lawyers are warming up for another Sony/SXRD-type class action lawsuit that lets the company skate while the users get the shaft.

Chris C
post #26 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:30:30 -0700
To: rmorgan@pctintl.com [tech help at Andrews/Channel Master]
I am writing for technical information regarding the Channel Master CM-7000 digital to analog tv signal converter. I have several ReplayTV-5000 DVRs which will need to control converters with IR Blasters using non-updatable IR codes. Please confirm that the CM-7000 uses Pioneer cable box codes and identify the Pioneer products by model and code numbers.
John
RESPONSE:
John, any pioneer cable box IR code should work.
Regards,
Ron Morgan
Technical Analyst
Tel + 919-938-5707 or 866-430-1307 Ext 207
Fax + 919-934-2809
post #27 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Channel Master CM-7000 : any pioneer cable box IR code should work

Where are the sold. Any National Retail outlets carrying this box?

Thanks
post #28 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Order online at: www.channelmasterstore.com .
Thank you for your interest in Channel Master products by PCT International,
Inc.
Visit http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster to view and purchase
products, download manuals, or find a distributor near you.
Go to www.antennaweb.org to view the HDTV stations available in your area.
Channel Master products can be found locally at Ace, Fry's and TruValue
stores.
post #29 of 203 Old 04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

As for the CM-7000, try it from Fry's. If you like it then return and order online from someone approved for coupons.

BTW I haven't tried this box but the Pioneer codes used by the Channel Master rotor (also used by the Accurian) are not native to Replays. Same goes for the new Digital Steam. However the protocol (presumably for the CM-7000 as well) is easy to use with ridgen.
post #30 of 203 Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

As for the CM-7000, try it from Fry's. If you like it then return and order online from someone approved for coupons.

BTW I haven't tried this box but the Pioneer codes used by the Channel Master rotor (also used by the Accurian) are not native to Replays. Same goes for the new Digital Steam. However the protocol (presumably for the CM-7000 as well) is easy to use with ridgen.

Fry's doesn't accept the coupons? Wow. I wouldn't have expected that. Nice about the CM unit (at least according to the description) is that it will decode HD signals as well as SD.

(I just contacted Fry's Customer Service and asked What's Up with the $40 coupons? Seems they have applied for approval from the DTV program, but the program folks haven't approved them as yet. )
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page