Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #481 of 499 Old 01-25-2002, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mrwilson,

I ran into the same problem recording the Pilot of Enterprise in HQ. Now adays, I only record in Medium to overcome this problem, but there is a way around it.

Use TMPEGENC (I suggest the latest version 2.5) to cut your program into 2 or 3 segments - each 1.5 to 2.3 Gigs. Then edit out your commercials and again use TMPEGENC to append them back together again before burning to DVD.

Aaron

Sony KF-60XBR800 60" Grand Wega II
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
Sony Playstation 3
Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 499 Old 01-25-2002, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

aaron, thanks, I'll give that a try!
post #483 of 499 Old 01-26-2002, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dfrumin

The unsolved problem? I haven't found a way to trick IIS into not sending headers. The problem happens with the Device_Descr.xml file, where the RTV gets mighty unhappy about seeing certain headers. Short of finding some back trick to do that, a "pure" ASP version won't be possible and I'll need to write an ISAPI extension of some form.

Pretend just for a moment that I am shy on knowledge of IIS, but just happen to have a LOT of access to info. Could you tell me EXACTLY what IIS headers need to be disabled? Or any other info you would need to get this running on IIS...

Thanks,
Loch
post #484 of 499 Old 01-26-2002, 02:49 PM

First of all,

This is great work. I purcahsed a RTV4080 with this in mind.

Question on Replayserver

I am running on WinME as a test only and plan to move the replay server to Windows 2000 pro once I figuire this thing out.

I have tested both Apache and PHP both work.

I notify the Replay box and it displays the server name but no guide for it eventhough I have a copy of the guide named guide.dat in the Document Root directory.

dfrumin says to test the guide file like this:

>Let's check that the guide is being sent back out correctly

>Test: run ReplayPC against the ReplayServer and get the guide, run a binary compare (fc /b) to make sure it's up and down correctly
>Expect: no differences
>See: differences -> check #2 above (wrong guide extracted)

Anyone know how to get the guide file with ReplayServer?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!
Gorne
post #485 of 499 Old 01-26-2002, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gorne
Anyone know how to get the guide file with ReplayServer?
You don't get the guide with replayserver, you get it with replayPC. The newest version of replayPC should strip out the ##### ATTACHE FILE XXXXXX ##### stuff. It's available at http://replaypc.sourceforge.net If it doesn't, you can get the version available on Dan's page. http://206.124.140.12/rtv/

The command line should still be: replaypc n.n.n.n -g

That will pull down the guide. Make sure it is named GUIDE.DAT, and place it in your document root. Start the server, and make sure that you run RTVNOTIFY.EXE (also available from Dan's page)

If you're still having problems, send me a PM with an email address, or an msn messenger id, and I'll get back to you.

[edit]

If you're trying to get the guide FROM the replayserver, just plug it's ip address in. However, every time I try to do this, apache blows up. Might be different on your OS.

Try renaming your replay, and change the name & serial number of your replayserver. This seems to help some folks get this working.

I don't know why I don't just shut up and give up and lay down and die.
post #486 of 499 Old 01-30-2002, 12:32 AM

I just can't let this thread die. It's too awesome! I remember that there was a problem accessing the live buffer because of the pesky windows "sharing violation" error. Is there a way to snapshot the data in the buffer without actually messing with the file? I think the inability to save your capture buffer is one of only two major shortcomings of the 4000 series. (The other is the fact that even though your unit is plugged into the internet 24/7, you can't go to www.myreplaytv.com and tell it to record a show in the "blackout" period -- phooey!)

Anyway, continued thanks to all who have spent so much of their valuable time on this. Those of us that are less capable programmers are really experiencing the thrill of downloading these files because we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

-Vaylen
post #487 of 499 Old 01-30-2002, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vaylen
I just can't let this thread die. It's too awesome! I remember that there was a problem accessing the live buffer because of the pesky windows "sharing violation" error. Is there a way to snapshot the data in the buffer without actually messing with the file? I think the inability to save your capture buffer is one of only two major shortcomings of the 4000 series.
Don't worry this thread will never die!! As for the pause buffer I'm looking for some way to extend it. I seem to be getting approx. the same size buffer my original (unit size) had no matter what capacity I'm currently at (?) With the 2K/3K units it was only limited by the free space and I could often buffer 24 hours worth (would reset at the nightly call) had the channel had not changed in that long. Anyone with a native 4160 ever measured how far back it will go when left sitting on one channel for a long period?

As for capturing it... I had the opportunity to use our old capture buffer trick and I noticed an interesting side effect. "Red Rose" Part 2 had started and I had forgot to set it. Well it was already on the right channel by chance. So I rewound and paused it, however I hadn't watched "part one" yet. So I let it finish on pause, then patched the output of the 4K into (unused) line one input. I set up a manual record for 2 hours then cued it up and hit "play" moments before the line one "manual record" started. I was half paying attention at the beginning to see if was working and I noticed CA munching the commercials... whoops. Well great actually!! The whole thing packed down recording the CA'd output! Once it was done I renamed it to match part 1. That was just too kool and as far as I know the CA seemed to be doing a pretty good job on that one! So I didn't even have to get it elsewhere! Turned out pretty slick and even slicker getting to rename it right away when done!

So has anyone used a WebTV or dishplayer keyboard on a 4K unit? That would make the "renaming" bit much faster. If that still works on the 4K... I will need one of those keyboards! I do more onboard titling than I thought I would. :cool:
post #488 of 499 Old 01-30-2002, 03:51 AM
jtl
AVS Special Member

/demo-macros.html
Valid but uninteresting

/EmWeb/UPnP/Eventing/
/EmWeb/UPnP/UPnPActionRspDoc.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/UPnPQueryRspDoc.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/Service/
/EmWeb/UPnP/UPnPErrorRspDoc.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/Notice.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/Control/
/EmWeb/UPnP/Eventing/
/EmWeb/UPnP/Notice.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/UPnPActionRspDoc.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/UPnPQueryRspDoc.xml
/EmWeb/UPnP/Control

I've looked at some of the .xml ones, without finding anything terribly interesting yet. Getting any of these seems to crash the RTV, making it a slow process.

/post?mem=%d
/post?
Haven't played with these yet (see above, wrt crashes -- it's way past bedtime). They may not be valid, may only be for outgoing, not incoming.

My ReplayTV notes
jtl-avs-replaytv@molehill.org
post #489 of 499 Old 01-30-2002, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
So has anyone used a WebTV or dishplayer keyboard on a 4K unit?
Yep, it works exactly the same as it worked for the 30xx units. It definitely made reentering my show preferences easier when I upgraded to my 4040! :D

"All that glitters has a high refractive index."

My ever-expanding DVD list
originaltrilogy.com - Because Greedo didn't fire first!
post #490 of 499 Old 02-02-2002, 02:34 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

The index files evidentally include info about whether or not the program was copy protected, and possibly whether it was a PPV recording. I don't have examples of either, though, and I'd like some. If anybody out there has macrovision or PPV recordings, could I get a copy of the matching .ndx file?

My ReplayTV notes
post #491 of 499 Old 02-02-2002, 08:52 PM

Well, first I have to thank all of you. If it has not been for this forum I never would have upgraded to a Replay4K unit. But all these new possibilities...

I read all the message threads, the FAQ etc.

Here my questions if anybody would be so kind to help:

1) I initially tried to set up all the software on my 802B11 Lan but could not get it to work. The photo software never worked, replayserver worked only under XP, file retrieval was very buggy and timed out with socket errors (yes, I unloaded Zonealarm).
Now I have a cat5 cable strung across 2 rooms and it works fine.
I have an SMC switch/accesspoint. Anybody had success with it? I see that most people have linksys.

2) I have my video files transferred, can play them with Mediaplayer and can also load them with XMpeg. But somehow the aspect ration is wrong. About half the width. Anybody experienced this?

3) Although I can play the file with Media Player I can not load them into Media Encoder. I get the error that that "one ore more codecs required to open this media could not be found (0xC00D1B83)

4) If I load the MPEG into XP's MovieMaker application they show up as Audio only but the video plays fine in the preview window! But as it thinks they are only audio it will not let me create an output file with video.

I tried the freedvd codecs and although the Mediaplayer DVD plugin from the PowerDVD people. I paid good money for it but could not get it actually to work. Mediaplayer gives the same error when I try to play a DVD (but this does not belong into this forum)

Once again - great work folks! - Can not wait until the guide programming is done.

So the next purchase seems to be the DVD-R A03 to store all that stuff...

Michael
post #492 of 499 Old 02-02-2002, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mberneis
2) I have my video files transferred, can play them with Mediaplayer and can also load them with XMpeg. But somehow the aspect ration is wrong. About half the width. Anybody experienced this?
These were recorded in low quality, right? Low-quality MPEGs are 352x480, IIRC, making them taller (pixel-wise) than they are wide.

However, it seems to be up to your MPEG2 codec as to whether or not it can be stretched. The codec I use won't stretch the image, even if I resize the window. (A previous codec I tried would stretch the image.) You might want to try full-screen mode, which looks as expected on my machine.
post #493 of 499 Old 02-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Can you SET the Replay Channel data on a 4000 through the network connection without going through MyReplayTV? I know you can read the Replay Channel info from a unit, but I'm wondering if anyone has run across some network command to set up a new recording and check if it conflicts with existing recordings?

I'm cross posting this here because the people working on this thread can probably answer the question better. For my reason for asking, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...098#post873098
post #494 of 499 Old 02-12-2002, 03:11 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FlipFlop
Can you SET the Replay Channel data on a 4000 through the network connection without going through MyReplayTV? I know you can read the Replay Channel info from a unit, but I'm wondering if anyone has run across some network command to set up a new recording and check if it conflicts with existing recordings?
There's no evidence that's possible, at least not in any sane way.
The only remote replay guide commands I can find strings for are "get_snapshot", "delete_show" and "is_show_in_use".

In addition to the "get_snapshot" method for getting the guide, though, there's a directory called "SnapshotDir" exported readable&writable by HTTPFS; there's a file "Snapshot-Local-1013544000" (number changes as appropriate) which is a snapshot of the guide as of midnight.

So, insane ways that might be possible:
1. write a new guide to the SnapshotDir and magically convince the RTV to use it (implausible, but why is that FS mounted writable?)
2. dummy up a myreplaytv server, convince the RTV to talk to you instead of the real one (doable -- anybody interested in persuing me lemme know and I'll dump out my ideas, and maybe some working code for some of it), and convince the RTV to do an update now instead of waiting (don't have any ideas yet how to do that).

My ReplayTV notes
post #495 of 499 Old 02-16-2002, 08:31 AM

I have used ReplayPC to extract mpeg files from my RTV with great success. They play back fine in Windows Media Player.

When I try to load them in Adobe Premeire (I have a Pinnacle DV500) I get motion compression errors (lots of little square dots) whenever ther is a scene transistion.

I tried converting RTV MPEGS using TMPGEnc and get the same errors.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to correct it?
post #496 of 499 Old 02-16-2002, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by richyrich
I have used ReplayPC to extract mpeg files from my RTV with great success. They play back fine in Windows Media Player.

When I try to load them in Adobe Premeire (I have a Pinnacle DV500) I get motion compression errors (lots of little square dots) whenever ther is a scene transistion.

I tried converting RTV MPEGS using TMPGEnc and get the same errors.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to correct it?
This would probably go better in this thread.

I don't know why I don't just shut up and give up and lay down and die.
post #497 of 499 Old 03-22-2002, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Went back over quite a few posts to check on this but without much success - hopefully Ive just missed something!

Anyway, does anyone know any way of getting "status" messages from the replay box?

For example, "is_show_in_use" (I haven't yet tested) seems to get status information for a current show. Is there a way of getting info like:
* the current show being played
* time/byte position of the current show being played (this is what Im really after)

While I'm wishing for the earth, can anyone point me towards information on "command" requests, for example: start playing XYZ, pause, play etc.

Thanks
Jonathan
post #498 of 499 Old 03-22-2002, 01:28 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

I've seen no evidence any of that is possible over the network, at least in any sane way. (there's a shell command to simulate remote control buttons, and you can fiddle with the RNS stream to force shell commands to run during a daily or forced connection)

My ReplayTV notes
post #499 of 499 Old 03-23-2002, 12:26 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

I should have mentioned -- one of the open ports is the standard Sun-style RPC port, and I still have half a hope that there's an RPC call to run shell commands.

My ReplayTV notes
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page