Reverse Engineering 4K Networking - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
java program works great. I just grabbed a file. Now figuring out how to play it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 01:41 PM

honus87,

Can you supply the source code for the java replayer program?

Thanks
post #93 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

after opening the file in Womble, the video had black edges along the sides. I edited out commercials, and then saved as a PS mpeg2 file. It didn't take that long to save, maybe a few minutes. The resultant mpeg2 file opens up in windows medial player 7. The black edges are gone, and the video plays perfectly.

A half hour simpsons show (Lisa The Tree-Hugger) was cut down to 20 minutes. It was 660 mb- small enough to fit onto a CD-R.

edit: I just realized that the black edges are not gone. So I went back into Womble, and now when I save the file, I cut it down to 640 width from 720. The black edges seem to be all gone now.
post #94 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 05:18 PM

Jeez I go away on vacation for a couple weeks and things swing into high gear and then some. Nice work folks! This is really starting to come together.

-Griffon
post #95 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

converting the pixel size in Womble takes a very, very long time. Is anyone else experiencing the black edges? What do people do using extract_rtv? Is there any way to correct this in replayPC program?
post #96 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dfrumin
Anyone have any luck making the MPG work with non-commercial software? As I posted last night, I got it to work with PowerDVD, but am hoping some freeware + codec will do it...

thx.
I've only tried the low quality (352x480) and Windows Media Player as well as the ATI File Player (with an ATI All In Wonder card) play them fine. The big problem I have with it is editing. Any cut, multiplex or anything else and you loose the sound stream. Still have to do more investigating and have a couple other fires that need to get put out first, if you know what I mean. I have mpeg-2 editors and utilities galore, so I'm sure there's some Mpeg-2 codec that has attached itself to my system that makes it work.

I don't understand why anyone needs to fool with the screen size etc. It's all standard stuff. Low is 1/2 D1 DVD at very low bit rate (around 1.8 Mb/s) Medium is 720x480 and if I remember was 4 Mb/s and high was also 720x480 at 8 mb/s. This is all standard DVD frame size. You may have trouble playing back a 1/2 D1 frame with a non-dvd pc based player as it might not be able to handle that frame size. (may try to play it as an SVCD which is 480x480).

My question is has anyone been able to parse it through Womble and still retain the audio ??

Rich
post #97 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 08:59 PM

Windows Media Player played it for you because you had the right codec installed and I don't think it is one of the standard ones. It didn't work with me on a fairly fresh install of XP. I did eventually find a codec, but it isn't free, overlays a ghost in the corner and everything looks squished left-to-right.

Can you do File/Properties when you are watching something in WMP and see what video codec it claims to be using?

I've tried everything that has been suggested on here and haven't been able to find the right thing. I'm not an expert on all this Divx and DVD stuff though.

I don't have a DVD drive so I wonder if that is part of the reason why I don't seem to have the right codec installed.

-H

See the RePhoto software at
http://www.forbesfield.com/rephoto.html
post #98 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Rich,

I have cut out the commercials using Womble and the audio is unaffected. I am working with medium quality files.

The one problem I am having is that the video has black edges along the sides. Sometimes very thin lines at the top or bottom. Have you seen this? When I cut the video (using Womble) down to 640x480, the black edges go away.
post #99 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here it is: ReplayPC V0.2 source and exe in zip.

Changes since version 0.1:

* I have formaly licensed this code under the GPL 2.0 and I have applied for project hosting at Source Forge!

* King of Bayonne submitted code for the -c <command> feature. This has been merged into the source.

* implemented a new -d directory command. This will list all of the files in the /Video directory. And if the filename appears to be a Unix Timestamp, it also convert the timestamp to an ascii string and print it. This string should match the "Recorded on data/time" for the program the file is a recording of.

* implemented a new -s <filename> print file status command

* adjusted GetReplayGuide() to strip the header junk from the output file. This should help thoes who are working on reverse engineering the guide file. It will break any other utilities that were reliant on the header stuff being there. ReplayServer???

* changed exit(1) to exit(-1) throughout the program.

* adjusted the calls to perror(), to make the output more user friendly.

* implemented the new -er <filename> extract named file RAW. This is for debugging, and also to support ReplayServer. You can use the -er option to extract ndx files as well.

I measured extraction speed today, and it worked out to be exactly 1MB/s on my system. That would mean that ReplayPC should extract a 30min medium quality program (1GB) in about 17 minutes. I have mixed feeling about trying to speed this up. It might cause the ReplayTV to screw up if you extract a file and record at the same time. But if you want to speed this up, the obvious things to mess with would be the char Buffer[1500] in GetMpgFile(); Hint - make it about 32768 bytes! The HHTP helper function at the end of the source file could probably be improved quite a bit.

For others who are having problems playing the extracted mpg files. I could not, and can not playback with Windows Media Player 7.1 myself. But I can playback with the trial version of PowerDVD. Guess Santa will be dropping me a gift a bit late this year! :p

:D :D :D Happy Hunting!

mlinehan
post #100 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

ReplayPC V0.2 Source and EXE

replaypc_v02.zip 49.861328125k . file

mlinehan
post #101 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 10:13 PM

dkan24, The black edges you see are from the NTSC overscan area. This area used for by TVs to align the picture. this is also where the closed caption information is sent. These areas are masked out of sight on the TV by the picture tube.

Some mpeg2 codecs will mask these out for you. As you now know some will not by design. If you have DVD drive and player in your computer you probably will play the video without the black edges because the player is designed to crop out the areas that are usually masked by the TV picture tube. Some of the codecs are designed for video editing will not do this.

The reason video might look distorted in WMP is mpeg 2 video uses rectangle shaped pixels like standard broadcast TV and PCs. Most AVI formats use square pixels (because digital video stared on the Macintosh and it uses square pixels). WMP will assume if the codec does not tell him otherwise, to us square pixels. this will make the video look stretched out and distorted.

The audio problems I think are related to the sample rate. Standard DVD is 48K. I think the Replay uses 32K. depending on what you use to edit the file you will have to play with the settings. It could be that the Mpeg codec you are using does not support exporting at the 32K rate.

If you plan to archive the video you might want to convert it to Mpeg4. This would let you put at least a hour on a CD. There are at least 2 free versions of Mpeg codecs that go under the DIVX name (not to be confused with the failed DVD format). There are several version of a encoder program called Flask (I think) that would let you crop the black borders. I do not know if the replay will ever play mpeg4 so this would be a one way street.

Hope this is enough to get you started. All of this information is generalizations. One of my jobs was to support-non linear edit stations a few years ago so this is a little fuzzy (like my spelling).
post #102 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

maybe we could get a working list together of what codecs work, with what programs. How can I tell which codec I am using?
post #103 of 499 Old 01-03-2002, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dogbert
dkan24,
The audio problems I think are related to the sample rate. Standard DVD is 48K. I think the Replay uses 32K. depending on what you use to edit the file you will have to play with the settings. It could be that the Mpeg codec you are using does not support exporting at the 32K rate.

Ulead Movie Factory is reporting that the medium quality Mpeg 2's I've gotten off my 4080 are of several different audio samplings. A episode of Buffy off FX was at 32000hz and 320 Kbs mono, and an episode of Justice League had 48000hz and 224 Kbs stereo. Both were recorded as medium quality.

TV Geek since birth
Video Geek since 1977

Phillips 112 104 hours
DTivo 6000 280 hours
Replay 4080 80 hours
1.5 terabyte video server
4 Sony SLHF SuperBeta VCR's

www.reach-far.com
post #104 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW - This is the dream thread. Thank you for sharing such cool work!!

I tried the Java app in XPpro. It opened, I entered my fixed IP to a 4040. Got a nice list of dates/times. Pulled off several shows. Takes about 6 1/2 minutes for a 30 minute show (all recorded at medium or about 1 gig per 30 minute show).

I tried giving them .mpg and .mp2 file extensions and both behaved the same. Does anyone know what is the correct way to name them?

I opened them in XP's media player (8.0) and they played with no problem. I checked properties and got Bitrate=Unknown, Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder, Ligos MPEG Video Decoder.

I opened them in PowerDVD 3.0 and they played fine.

I imported them into Adobe Premiere (I'm just getting into DV editing and have a Pinnacle DV-500 setup and just setting things up). Adobe choked on the .mp2 extension, would load the file with a .mpg extension but played black screen video with OK sound when using the Pinnacle NTSC DV Template. Maybe an experienced Adobe user could make it work.

I tried importing them into DVDit PE and they played fine (both .mpg and .mp2 extensions). DVDit is a good quality DVD creator. I tried to create a DVD with a 3 minute Replay clip. It took a Long Long time to "transcode" the file (17 minutes) and about 1 minute to create the DVD. This would mean that it would take almost 6 hours to make a 1 hour DVD. My friend uses DVDit alot and it seems that it is capable of accepting many formats and converting them as needed (but transcoding is with software). It is much faster if the content is already DVD ready. The normal editing process is done with DV from camcorder, to Adobe for Editing (Adobe uses the Pinnacle PCI MPEG Card to Render faster in hardware), then to DVDit for DVD Menu Structuring and burning.

Would sure like to know if there is any way to format/extract the Replay files DVD ready. Then DVD archiving would be a snap...

Thank You all again for your work!

Oh, I also tried Ulead Video Studio 5. It would not accept the files, gave a "wrong format" error. Maybe some fiddling with the project properties may work, I tried several with no luck.

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #105 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't Womble's MpegVCR2 upsampling the 32k sound to 48k?
post #106 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 07:02 AM

We had a snow day here in Atlanta yesterday, so I spent the afternoon hacking on the guide file format (GUIDE.DAT) that ReplayPC.exe fetches. With lots of fooling around and some of the hints that were posted by dfrumin, I've got a little C program here that will dump most of it out.

Will post it later today, I still have a few anomalies to work out.

--Tim Farley
post #107 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I use FlasKMPEG 0.6 with the included bbMPEG encoder to crop and convert the files to MPEG1 (VCD) format. I can then write these to CD using VCDEasy, and they play on my DVD player.

It is somewhat confusing because you have to configure Flask to the VCD profile to get the proper audio sample rate and video size and framerate AND configure bbMPEG to get the proper output (VCD) format. Flask will resample the audio to 44.1kHz or 48kHz. Once you get all of the settings right it works quite well

I've also used TMPGenc to multiplex/demultiplex and to cut and merge sections of video together. It works, although the program sometimes goes away and thinks for long periods of time with no feedback.
post #108 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 08:44 AM

Tried the java proggie in BSD and no joy.

# /usr/lib/Sun_jdk1.1.8/bin/java replayer.jar
Can't find class replayer.jar
# /usr/lib/Sun_jdk1.1.8/bin/java ./replayer.jar
Invalid class name: ./replayer.jar
# /usr/lib/IBM_java1.3/bin/java replayer.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: replayer/jar
# /usr/lib/Sun_jdk1.3.1/bin/java replayer.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: replayer/jar

Probably a classpath prob. Will check.
post #109 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 10:02 AM

Has anyone started modifying the ReplayPC code to compile and run under both UNIX and Windows?

Seeing as I don't use Windows I'm up for this task if no one has started it yet.
post #110 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 10:05 AM

You're not giving the right command line. As per my first post about it, the command line is "java -cp replayer.jar Downloader"

post #111 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

So, I finally got around to giving Honus' Java-based replaySucker a whirl. Worked as expected on my Win2k box, but the real excitement was when it "Just Worked" under Mac OS X. Weee-hah. I am a happy camper.

Now if only Apple would release their long-promised MPEG-2 support for QuickTime.

btw...Honus, can we download the source to your app anywhere?

--
-mS

--
-mS
post #112 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz

btw...Honus, can we download the source to your app anywhere?
Not yet, it is kind of ugly in there. I might have a chance to clean it up over the weekend.

-H

post #113 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz

Now if only Apple would release their long-promised MPEG-2 support for QuickTime.

--
-mS
Aww... madSkeelz, give them some slack. The MPEG-2 syntax has been frozen only since 1993 :p

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #114 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say, this is some really cool progress! Now, I just wosh I had a couple 4000 boxes!!!

Great work...keep it up!!!

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
post #115 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah, and Apple is still expecting QuickTime to really take off, Any Day Now!

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #116 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 12:33 PM

Hey guys,

Another user (Lee) has been hacking at the guide file and has most of it nailed down into nice C structures and sample code. He and I have been exchanging guides to throw at it and its' doing well. He's working on a mini-extractor program and I'm working on a super-duper ReplayClient to match the ReplayServer.

I recommend waiting for his findings on the guide format, which I'm sure he'll post up here asap.

On a personal note, I'm hung up on some work stuff but hope to have the ReplayServer source ready to post in its current incarnation in the next day or two. There are still a couple of things it needs to do before it's super-useful (like rebroadcast itself every half hour) but once that's done it should be ship shape.

more asap...

Quote:
Originally posted by Krelnik
We had a snow day here in Atlanta yesterday, so I spent the afternoon hacking on the guide file format (GUIDE.DAT) that ReplayPC.exe fetches. With lots of fooling around and some of the hints that were posted by dfrumin, I've got a little C program here that will dump most of it out.

Will post it later today, I still have a few anomalies to work out.
post #117 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 01:08 PM

Now that we have the Replay Client in production, we need someone with the XBox software development kit to start looking at porting it over - voila, a relatively inexpensive Replay playback device.
post #118 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, I'll be glad to field test that!

My X-Box has already proven useful as an emergency backup replacement for an aging DVD player, as well as an excuse to put off buying a new PC for another year (I was just going to buy it to play games).

If we could make it a Replay client as well, well, that'd just be cool.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #119 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 01:32 PM

OK, here's another little utility you might find useful...

"rtv4kexplore" connects to a 4K and displays properties of the channels and shows currently stored on the device. With a little fiddling (and MAJOR props to dfrumin's Guide spreadsheet and mlinehan's ReplayPC source code), I was able to correlate data in the guide with the actual show files stored in the /video folder.

Usage is pretty simple: "rtv4kexplore ww.xx.yy.zz". Source code and a Windows binary are attached. Here's some sample output:

C:\\>rtv4kexplore ww.xx.yy.zz

Exploring ReplayTV 4000 at IP ww.xx.yy.zz

Retrieving ReplayGuide file...done

Number of channels found = 5

Channel 1:
channel name = "Sacramento Kings"
quality = high

Channel 2:
channel name = "More!:Skating"
quality = high

Channel 3:
channel name = "Enterprise"
quality = medium

Channel 4:
channel name = "Outer Limits"
quality = medium

Channel 5:
channel name = "Justice League"
quality = medium

Show 1:
Station ID = "WNYT"
Show title = "Brian BoitanoÆs Skating Spectacular"
Episode = ""
Details = "From Vegas."
Cast information = ""
Time/date recorded = Tue Jan 01 16:00:00 2002
Show filename = 1009918797.MPG
Show file size = 3840245760 bytes

Show 2:
Station ID = "UPN4 (EDGETV)"
Show title = "Enterprise"
Episode = "The Andorian Incident"
Details = "The crew visits an ancient Vulcan spiritual sanctuary occupied by a ..."
Cast information = "Scott Bakula, Connor Trinneer, Jolene Blalock"
Time/date recorded = Wed Jan 02 20:00:00 2002
Show filename = 1010019597.MPG
Show file size = 1920139264 bytes

Show 3:
Station ID = "Sci-Fi Channel"
Show title = "Outer Limits"
Episode = "The Hundred Days of the Dragon"
Details = "To create an impostor for the U.S. president, an Asian uses a serum that alters human form."
Cast information = ""
Time/date recorded = Thu Jan 03 14:00:00 2002
Show filename = 1010084397.MPG
Show file size = 1921318912 bytes

Show 4:
Station ID = "Sci-Fi Channel"
Show title = "Outer Limits"
Episode = "The Architects of Fear"
Details = "Scientists plan to save Earth from nuclear war by uniting it against a manufactured alien foe."
Cast information = ""
Time/date recorded = Fri Jan 04 14:00:00 2002
Show filename = 1010170797.MPG
Show file size = 1920827392 bytes

To those working on channel guide decoding: I have no idea if I have the exact lengths correct for the Station ID and show information fields... but what I have seems to work. In particular, it looks like the show information field consists of . As a result, these four "fields within a field" can be parsed as strings. In some instances, the substrings may be of zero length (for example, some shows don't offer cast information), but the null terminator is still there so that you can parse it correctly as a string. Also note the anomoly that the apostrophe (') in the title of "Brian Boitano's Skating Spectacular" was stored in the guide as a hex 92... maybe apostrophes can't be stored in strings in the guide...?

mlinehan, if you want to take this code and fold it back into your ReplayPC app, be my guest.

KOB

rtv4kexplore.zip 51.638671875k . file
post #120 of 499 Old 01-04-2002, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scochran666
Now that we have the Replay Client in production, we need someone with the XBox software development kit to start looking at porting it over - voila, a relatively inexpensive Replay playback device.
If anyone out there in television land DOES have access to the XBox SDK and is willing to share, I will sign up to develop the client.

KOB
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page