Reverse Engineering 4K Networking - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a little bit of nostalgia for those who have fogotten DOS completely ... or never booted up to the A:> DOS Command Prompt:

Add a redirect (> filename.ext) to the command line for those DOS porgrams that have screen output and you can save the data to a file. Examlpe:

..\\RTV4explore www.xxx.yyy.zzz

will output your directory listing with all sorts of additional data. However, if you add the redirect to a file, like this

..\\RTV4explore ww.xx.yy.zz > dirlist.txt

You will get the whole list saved to disk for future reference.

Same thing works for ..\
eplaypc www.xxx.yyy.zzz -d

I know the codesmiths are doing this but many of us observers may not remember the little tricks we used with DOS 1.0. BTW this works with both DOS prompts in Win 95/98/Me and Win2k/NT Command Prompts .... Win XP folks you'll just have to try it, I haven't the foggiest if it works for you ..

whirly
The Race for Space has no Finish Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whirly
Win XP folks you'll just have to try it, I haven't the foggiest if it works for you ..
Yes. it still works... it'll also work for any flavor of *NIX that I've ever used.

I don't know why I don't just shut up and give up and lay down and die.
post #183 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 03:50 AM

Here's a shareware DVD player that seems to work with the Replay MPEG files:

http://www.moonlight.co.il/download/index.shtml

Download the one called "Elecard MPEG2 Player v. 1.35"

I was also able to get the Mediamatics "DVD Express" program to play the files, but I don't think it's shareware.
post #184 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharky
Here's a shareware DVD player that seems to work with the Replay MPEG files:

http://www.moonlight.co.il/download/index.shtml

Download the one called "Elecard MPEG2 Player v. 1.35"

I was also able to get the Mediamatics "DVD Express" program to play the files, but I don't think it's shareware.
Works Great! wonder if that little overlay in the upper-right corner goes away if it's registered.... probably...

post #185 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dallben
Works Great! wonder if that little overlay in the upper-right corner goes away if it's registered.... probably...
At least that little logo or whatever it is doesn't show up in the bitmap frame-capture files.

I've only tried standard and medium files so far. My old 500 MHz P-III can barely keep up with the medium resolution files. I'm guessing high resolution files will require a faster CPU (maybe a good reason to upgrade, at last!)

BTW, will it eventually be possible to write the video files back to the Replay box, instead of (or in addition to) using the upcoming server application?
post #186 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 04:28 AM

Quote:

I've only tried standard and medium files so far. My old 500 MHz P-III can barely keep up with the medium resolution files. I'm guessing high resolution files will require a faster CPU (maybe a good reason to upgrade, at last!)
High Qualities work great (Athlon 900mhz) and the plus is the elecard mpeg player installed the codec, so now it works with media player as well!

post #187 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 07:44 AM

Does anyone else have any problems with MPG's coming of their replay and the sound is slowed down to like half the video rate? If so, do you think there is anyway to fix this?

I noticed this though, most of my Hour long Standard recordings are 865MB, the ones that come through that play weird are 906MB.

Thanks for any input.

-plazma75
post #188 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 09:22 AM

replayer v0.3b works great for me....Thanks loads honus....

Click here to see my poopli shared 4K shows
post #189 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honus87
Here's a screen shot. I probably shouldn't include it since it reveals a horrible secret.
http://www.magicalcheese.com/uploads...player0_3_.jpg
honus87 I thought you were gonna say you shouldn't include it because we might discover your horrible indulgence... that recurring Friends channel?? Some around here don't have "Friends" or watch "Friends".
(You know who you are) :D:D
Quote:
Originally posted by honus87
Yes, I record almost everything at standard quality.
Oh that's all it is. Yes with a reasonable signal to feed it standard quality is better on this one. Since we can easily export you might be able to bump it up a notch? ...medium quality?

Thanks ALL for the efforts here!! Poor TiVo doesn't stand a chance! :cool::cool:
post #190 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. Castrovalva. I really liked that episode.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #191 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:21 AM

Honus is my hero!

Suggestions (push these way way way back on the list:))

Config file or command line option for IP address.
Push app window to the foreground when it is executed.
post #192 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, it's time for me to display just total ignorance.

I've had no problems making all the command line ditties work, and work they do well.

I just can't figure out how to launch that java app. I give the "Java" command to my command prompt, and it tells me no such command. I double click the .jar file, and it brings up that dialog asking what program I want to use to execute the file.

Two different systems, both running standard/full W2K installs.

post #193 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:34 AM

Hey Honus, it works great in BSD and Linux as well! Thanks.

OT: is it possible to change the ugly theme of Java apps to something like Acqua with antialiasing?
post #194 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by centaur
OT: is it possible to change the ugly theme of Java apps to something like Acqua with antialiasing?
Sure, just use OSX! :)

Actually, it's dependent on the Swing libraries, right? I know that Apple uses their own *******ized Swing libs so that everything looks pretty. I would assume you could *******ize your own Swing libs to make 'em look pretty.

--
-mS

--
-mS
post #195 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madSkeelz

Sure, just use OSX! :)

Actually, it's dependent on the Swing libraries, right? I know that Apple uses their own *******ized Swing libs so that everything looks pretty. I would assume you could *******ize your own Swing libs to make 'em look pretty.
apparently b-a-s-t-a-r-d is in the No No Dictionary. In which case, I meant "skankified".

and yes, I'll stop quoting myself right now.

--
-mS

--
-mS
post #196 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toots

I've had no problems making all the command line ditties work, and work they do well.

I just can't figure out how to launch that java app. I give the "Java" command to my command prompt, and it tells me no such command. I double click the .jar file, and it brings up that dialog asking what program I want to use to execute the file.

toots, i had the same problem until i realized i had to get the java runtime environment from java.sun.com - find your way thru their downloads until you find j2re-1_3_1_02-win.exe. then you can do the java thing with honus' jar file...

jerry agattas
post #197 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like you do not have Java installed. I am on win XP and I had to go to http://java.sun.com/getjava/installer.html and install the Java plug-in. Now it runs fine. Oh also be carefull if you use any Ad filtering or firewall software.
post #198 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks muchly.

post #199 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Castrovalva. I really liked that episode.
The worse part is the local PBS station seems to have changed from showing two episodes a week to just one! How can I be expected to get by on only half-an-hour of Dr. Who a week?

At least they are showing the Peter David episodes, and hopefully will continue with the other doctors after him. I know people didn't like them as much but I haven't gotten to see many of the post Peter David episodes. I've only seen most Peter David ones once, and I've seen the Tom Baker one a zillion times each, so I'm glad to finally have something that is almost new.

Maybe I need to start looking for other people getting Dr. Who to send me episodes. :)

See the RePhoto software at
http://www.forbesfield.com/rephoto.html
post #200 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 11:32 AM

ReplayServer v0.1 is live on my site (http://206.124.140.12/rtv).

This program allows the PC to act as an RTV in your RTV network and serve video. It now correctly broadcasts itself every 29mins to make sure the RTVs continue to see it.

Source is included, though it's limited in license to you and your mucking with it. It's not ready to be GPL'ed out, but hopefully by next rev it will be (don't ask, I just haven't cleaned up, put copyrights, etc.) But, since folks have been asking for it, I thought I'd put it up.

Object Model:
I favor programs that do everything through object classes so people can put their own GUIs on it independent of the lower level functionality. The intent was to write an object oriented ReplayServer that could be launched from command line, windowed app, integrated with web servers, etc. I didn't succeed in this pass, so I'm rewriting the whole thing from scratch (yay <g>). If you have suggestions on the objmodel after looking at what I put there, let me know.

Web Server:
The source for this includes a mini-web server that I wrote. It is possible to hook my code into Apache or other web servers, but not easily right now. The code for the web server and RTV server merged a little too closely. That's part of the rewrite I need to do.

Features:
4700 missing. If you have ideas, send them my way. I'll try and get them in by the next rev which should be soon.

Porting to *nix:
I wrote this code in a 12hr binge. I know there are 100 windows specific things in there that normally I would encapsulate in classes that are separately portable (e.g. file stuff). If you look at the code and start to port it, send me your changes and I'll try and make the next rev more portable with your help.

After a bit more mucking with ReplayServer I'll write the guide generator with all the great work Lee's put in to the guide format. That should allow the individual addition and removal of programs from an RTV to the RTV server.

Comments (as always) are welcome.

dan
post #201 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 11:44 AM

Ok... Peering into my magic 8-ball I will now divine the future.

I see... I see... a file server with a big ol' stripe set in it that serves up shows that are all recorded in High quality (yay!).

I see... a replay PC utility that runs on the server and performs nightly extractions of all the shows on the RTV 4XXX(s) on the network.

I see... after the nightly backup, the server will delete the shows off of the RTV 4XXX(s) to save space. Perhaps it will exclude specific "My Favorite" folders from this automatic deletion.

I see... clients which turn any (fast) pc into a playback device. And especially those PCs with RCA or S-video out ports for playback on other TVs.

I see... SonicBLUE might push us software upgrades that will attempt to defeat our replay PCs and replay servers. Yuck.

I see... all you cool hackers/developers getting free ReplayTV 4320s because of shipping errors or something because you all deserve them. Thanks immensely, friends. Please open source all of your RTV projects.
post #202 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

No no it's not quite done yet but it will be soon.

This is a screenshot from it, the bar at the bottom is the download progress bar which isn't completely coded yet :)

http://stargate.logh.net/replayxferpreview.jpg

This is for Windows 98/ME/NT/2K/XP although I'll only be testing it on the latter two platforms.

You'll also be able to sort on any of the column headings (and they are resizable).

"Rename MPEGs" will store the MPEG on your hard drive as "Showname - Episode Title.mpg" instead of the timestamp filename (e.g. 10073941940.mpg).

Comments, suggestions, and feature requests are welcome.
post #203 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dfrumin
ReplayServer v0.1 is live on my site (http://206.124.140.12/rtv).

This program allows the PC to act as an RTV in your RTV network and serve video. It now correctly broadcasts itself every 29mins to make sure the RTVs continue to see it.

Dan,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does this thing work? I've gotten it to run (I think) but I don't know how to communicate with it. I've edited the replayserver.cfg file to reflect something other than my real ReplayTV but I can figure out how to get it to "send" my ReplayTV a show. Nothing appears in the "received" category. Do I need to do something in addition to starting the server?

Thanks for all your work!

Randy.
post #204 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:09 PM

No problem Randy, the docs on this are somewhat sparse ;-)

The ReplayServer doesn't work by sending the RTV shows. It behaves as another RTV would inside your home network.

Here's a few simple steps to get it up and running before more complex docs:
- get the guide from your existing rtv using ReplayPC. Name it ##########.rgd
- get one or more mpg/ndx files (known ones preferably or it will crash) from your RTV and put them in the folder. Be sure to use -er for raw extract.
- run the server

Now, wait a minute or so and go to your RTV:
- go to replay guide
- click "jump" until you get to the rtv selector (top right)
- click right / left until you see your server (mine is Server 6)
- it should read the guide that you put in there
- scroll down to the show you uploaded to your PC
- click play

Hopefully everything works from that moment on.

- dan

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyRazor

Dan,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does this thing work? I've gotten it to run (I think) but I don't know how to communicate with it. I've edited the replayserver.cfg file to reflect something other than my real ReplayTV but I can figure out how to get it to "send" my ReplayTV a show. Nothing appears in the "received" category. Do I need to do something in addition to starting the server?

Thanks for all your work!

Randy.
post #205 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:19 PM

Quote:
No problem Randy, the docs on this are somewhat sparse ;-)

The ReplayServer doesn't work by sending the RTV shows. It behaves as another RTV would inside your home network.

Here's a few simple steps to get it up and running before more complex docs:
- get the guide from your existing rtv using ReplayPC. Name it ##########.rgd
- get one or more mpg/ndx files (known ones preferably or it will crash) from your RTV and put them in the folder. Be sure to use -er for raw extract.
- run the server
- dan

Dan,

Still can't see the replayserver in my replayguide on my 4080. I've tried running it on 2K Pro & XP Pro... The server IS running, but the 4080 doesn't see it (I've tried changing the name and also rebooting... no success) Any thoughts?

post #206 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:21 PM

Let's start with a few simple tests:

In a browser, you should be able to type:
http://[YOURIP]/Device_Descr.xml

It should come back with the same IP that's in the cfg file and all the right config info. Also, be sure that the server name doesn't include anything other than alphanumerics and space.

Assuming that works, try and use ReplayPC to get the guide:

ReplayPC YOURIP -g

And then compare it binary (fc /b) to the rgd file in the ReplayServer folder.

Let me know if those both worked.

Quote:

Dan,

Still can't see the replayserver in my replayguide on my 4080. I've tried running it on 2K Pro & XP Pro... The server IS running, but the 4080 doesn't see it (I've tried changing the name and also rebooting... no success) Any thoughts?
post #207 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:23 PM

What's the story with the SerialNumber and UUID fields in the ReplayServer.cfg file? Should they just be left alone? Does the Replay software do any validation on those values?

The UUID is hard-coded in CRTVServer::bcastState(), which seems to conflict with the idea of having the value in the config file.
post #208 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:26 PM

I don't know that the Replay does anything with them right now but I changed them from my own RTVs in case it does (initial mapping or who knows what). Safe bet is to randomly put stuff there or find your existing ones (http://replayip/device_descr.xml) and change those.

Quote:
What's the story with the SerialNumber and UUID fields in the ReplayServer.cfg file? Should they just be left alone? Does the Replay software do any validation on those values?
post #209 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Let me know if those both worked.

Yep.. both worked.. FC said no differences encountered, and the device_descr.xml came up and looked fine.

post #210 of 499 Old 01-06-2002, 02:42 PM

Hmm...

One quick thing that was pointed out to me just now - the IP Address in the cfg file should point to your PC, not the RTV. Not sure if that was obvious or not.

Assuming that's correct, let's try ending the server "correctly" so it sends the UDP packets and then restarting a minute later.

http://PCIP/end and refresh a couple of times. If you use task manager, the ReplayServer should not be running.

Try that and we'll go from there.

Ah, I love debugging :-)

Quote:

Yep.. both worked.. FC said no differences encountered, and the device_descr.xml came up and looked fine.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page