RPTV4K limit on drive size - 750GB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've googled and I've searched, and I've spent all morning trying to get 2 1TB drives to work in the 4040.

EDIT: Originally I said:
1 1TB drive works fine, but only shows 750 hours available (with no photo partition). This leads me to guess the RPTV can only handle 750GB. (Another clue is all the upgrades offered on eBay, etc. go up to 750).

EDIT: It was showing 750 because the 250GB of shows that I didn't transfer were still taking up "space" because they were in the replay guide. Deleting them shows the full drive. I still can't get the second drive to add but the 1TB drive (with SATA->IDE adapter) works great.

Adding a second drive yields the neverceasing "Please wait..." message.

So I guess my question needs to change to... how do I get RTVPATCH to "happily and without errors" add a second drive when 1TB drives are being used?

Thanks,

Ehud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

This won't help you one bit, but why in the world would you want to add a second drive when the first drive is 1 TB? That's like 333 hours at the highest quality, 500 hours at medium and 1000 hours at standard. A dual drive system would give you more hours, but will also increase the chances of losing everything if/when one of the drives goes bad.

PostCount++;
--------------------------------------------------------------
ReplayTV 5080 - 00004-54831-79633
post #3 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987 View Post

This won't help you one bit, but why in the world would you want to add a second drive when the first drive is 1 TB? That's like 333 hours at the highest quality, 500 hours at medium and 1000 hours at standard. A dual drive system would give you more hours, but will also increase the chances of losing everything if/when one of the drives goes bad.

As you may note from when I last posted, I don't post a lot. I also don't like to open up appliances and change them. If it works, I'd like for it to work forever.

That's why in 2002 I put in 2x160GB drives.

And now my thought is if I put in 2x1TB drives I won't have to open it up or change anything for another 6 years.

Sure I use DVRBB and 4DTV and sure I've got an NSLU2 running Debian serving up stuff, and WiRNS and all that.

But I like to engineer things for half a decade from now, not for today.

Ehud

post #4 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you research, you will find that dual drives in the Replays is not more reliable and is frequently a problem. So, if your reasoning is that putting the dual drives in the Replay will make it so you won't have to mess with it for a long, long time, I would definitely take the time to read through the threads of the problems with using dual drives to see if it changes your mind. Even RTVPatch warns you about using dual drives...

Henry
post #5 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

If you research,

Respectfully, I've been using ReplayTVs since 2000 so "if you research" isn't nice nor helpful. That's because I did my research. If you would have read you'd have seen it.

Quote:

you will find that dual drives in the Replays is not more reliable and is frequently a problem.

Again, nothing new there. Dual points of failure are always no less than 2x less reliable than single points of failure. Dual replay-drives have always had their trade-offs (none of which has changed since 2001).

Quote:

So, if your reasoning is that putting the dual drives in the Replay will make it so you won't have to mess with it for a long, long time, I would definitely take the time to read through the threads of the problems with using dual drives to see if it changes your mind. Even RTVPatch warns you about using dual drives...

Nothing new there since 2001.

I'm well aware of the trade-off, which is why I did 2x160GBs in 2001 (which were working fine until 2008-07-04 when I sought to convert to 2x1TB).

Quote:

Henry

With all due respect. This thread is now mistitled. It should be "RTVPatch or ReplayTV 4K fails with 2x 1TB drives"

That has nothing to do with your thesis that a) I'm malinformed, b) 2 drives are less reliable than 1

What I'd really like to see addressed is either
1. Someone saying "Yes, this is a problem with RTVPatch, and here's how you can fix it"
or
2. Someone saying "Yes, the RTV4K hardware can't address 2x 1TB drives. Sorry"

Thanks

Ehud

EDIT: Honestly, while the title of the thread should change, I don't want MY MOMMY coming here to tell me WHY I SHOULDN'T do things. What I'm looking for is technical info as to why either a) The problem is with the patch program or b) The ReplayTV 4K can't handle it. If you want to start a thread as to C) Don't do two drives wah wah wah or D) Why do you need that much storage or E) anything else, start your own thread and step off.

post #6 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Arrogance AND Stupidity is a deadly combination. Your mommy should have told you THAT.

Tony
post #7 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Arrogance AND Stupidity is a deadly combination. Your mommy should have told you THAT.

Yes, you're right. I'll ask her to call you. You're showing clear evidence of both.
*shrug* I can't help it if you're unhelpful, illiterate, or underage.

I guess even your mommy can't help you now.

E

post #8 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

On behalf of the rest of the forum - hey assholë, go get help somewhere else.
post #9 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus98 View Post

EDIT: Honestly, while the title of the thread should change, I don't want MY MOMMY coming here to tell me WHY I SHOULDN'T do things. What I'm looking for is technical info as to why either a) The problem is with the patch program or b) The ReplayTV 4K can't handle it. If you want to start a thread as to C) Don't do two drives wah wah wah or D) Why do you need that much storage or E) anything else, start your own thread and step off.

Geez! Sorry for trying to give you some helpful information! You said you searched, not researched, so I just wanted to make sure you were aware that dual drive systems are considered problematic. Especially since you said you wanted to engineer it for years to come, that didn't seem like the best way to go. Anyway, since you did all your research, I assume you already looked at the source code for RTVPatch, so you should already know the answer...

Henry

P.S. I also would have been happy to tell you that the Replay only boots from the first drive, so if adding the second drive causes the Replay not to be able to boot, then you probably did something wrong...
post #10 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_boy View Post

On behalf of the rest of the forum - hey assholë, go get help somewhere else.

I didn't know you spoke for the rest of the forum, but if so, I accept that you need to seek help elsewhere.

I'm sorry that adding to the knowledge base is no longer the AVSForum way and it's now about sucking up to the first dimwit to respond.

Best of luck to you with that.

E

post #11 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know you spoke for the rest of the forum, but if so, I accept that you need to seek help elsewhere.

I'm sorry that adding to the knowledge base is no longer the AVSForum way and it's now about sucking up to the first dimwit to respond.

Best of luck to you with that.

E

If you act like a dick expect to get treated like one.
post #12 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you act like a dick expect to get treated like one.

I'm sorry you feel you are treated like a dick.

Best of luck to you being that way and all

Ehud

post #13 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Geez! Sorry for trying to give you some helpful information! You said you searched, not researched, so I just wanted to make sure you were aware that dual drive systems are considered problematic. Especially since you said you wanted to engineer it for years to come, that didn't seem like the best way to go. Anyway, since you did all your research, I assume you already looked at the source code for RTVPatch, so you should already know the answer...

Henry

P.S. I also would have been happy to tell you that the Replay only boots from the first drive, so if adding the second drive causes the Replay not to be able to boot, then you probably did something wrong...

Yeah, when I took 2x80GBs that worked.
When I took 2x160GBs that worked.

But I "probably did something wrong" with these two.

Tell you what, why don't you send me your address, and I'll ship you the drives.

You get them to work, $500 is yours.

You don't get them to work, $500 is mine.

Whomever wants to take on this non-wager (after all it's a simple procedure to run RTVPATCH and hit t and a, right?) is welcome. One at a time please.

Ehud
PS I'm sorry if I upset lizzard boy or any other pussy. When you see the new movie with Will Ferrel and Michael C. Reilly and wonder "Who's the douche" the answer is Lizzardboy.

post #14 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

You have received a new private message at AVS Forum from markus98, entitled "Wah".

This is the message that was sent:
It's ******* like you that prevent knowledge from being shared in forums like this one.

Step off, dipshit.

Ehud
post #15 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You have received a new private message at AVS Forum from markus98, entitled "Wah".

This is the message that was sent:
It's ******* like you that prevent knowledge from being shared in forums like this one.

Step off, dipshit.

Ehud

Is it that you don't read, or that you really like quoting?

They must make them super smart in house-ton.

Well. Except for you.

Ehud

post #16 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, when I took 2x80GBs that worked.
When I took 2x160GBs that worked.

But I "probably did something wrong" with these two.

You're in such a foul mood you're not even bothering to read what I posted. I said that if you add the second drive and the Replay won't boot (as you posted), then you did something wrong with adding the second drive. I never said you did anything wrong with the other two drive installs that you performed (obviously, if they worked).

So, you should be able to easily check that the Replay boots with only the first drive installed. The Replay only boots off the first drive in a two drive system, and I am quite sure that you are aware that you use exactly the same image for a two drive installation as a one drive installation. The only thing that changes is the MPEG partition, which doesn't get used until the unit boots (after the "Please Wait..." screen). Getting stuck in the "Please Wait..." boot loop indicates a problem with booting from the first drive. You can confirm by removing the second 160GB drive from your dual 160GB system and see that it still boots fine. So, if your Replay doesn't boot with the first 1TB drive installed, then something is wrong with that setup. If it boots with the first 1TB drive installed, but not with the second 1TB drive installed, then something is wrong with the second drive setup, could be as simple as the jumper or the cable...

Interesting that I tried to give you a helpful response and you still took it as another attack...

And, by the way, there was a totally different reason for wanting to install dual drives way back when even though they were problematic. First point was the price point for large capacity drives, and second point was the price for the high capacity drives. Wanting 320GB of total capacity was very reasonable, so using dual 160GB even with the problems had value. But, with the current drive capacities and price per GB, just wanting to put as much as possible in the drive by installing dual drives doesn't make nearly the same sense. Do you really think that you would fill up 1TB of shows but not 2TB? The second drive doesn't give you any redundancy and in doubling the capacity only allows for other problems. I guess if you really think that 1TB won't do the trick but 2TB is the only way you're going to get enough storage, then it is worth the problems...

Henry
post #17 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry Henry. I didn't mean to take it personally.

1: The 1TB drive (drive 1) boots
2: The 2x 1TB drives don't boot, but work just fine in a PC running RTVPATCH (linux). The SATA->IDE converter is where the M/S configuration is set and I did not change it going from the PC to the Replay. I do recall that ages ago there was an issue where M would work, as would CS but M/S wouldn't on the Replay. I don't know if that's the case for this drive/SATA-converter.

3: I tried the add-second drive function several times (several being exactly 3). Each time I DID get messages from RTVPATCH that there were failures.

I have not had a chance to look through all of the code at http://rtvpatch.cvs.sourceforge.net/...TVPatch/Linux/ (or the common files) but right now I'm of the mind that either
a. The Replay can't handle 2TB
b. The Replay can't handle these drives with these adapters in M/S slave mode. (CS is not an option on these SATA->IDE adapters)
c. RTVPATCH isn't properly patching the drives. After the patch it does "see" drive 1 as "Drive 1 of 2" but it (1) reports errors during the patch and (2) doesn't work in the Replay.

And the answer as to "Why would you?" is because when I bought a 40hr unit I thought I'd never go beyond 160 (which is why I put dual 80s in)... and then when I had to delete all of Andromeda Season One I put 2x160 and thought "Ha I'll never get there" but lo and behold a bunch of Good Eats and Robot Chicken later and that capacity was full and I had to delete all of BSG.

My hope / wish / wishful thinking (and yes I do understand the fact that 2 drives are LESS than 1/2 the reliability of 1 drive) is that with 2000 hours of recordable content capacity I won't have to touch this until I'm in my 60s

Best

E
PS These drives are so damn silent it's not possible for me to discern whether they are being spun up or being accessed during either success or failure. (WD "Green" 1TB 7200RPM SATA drives). So I can't tell if it's trying to access drive 1, drive 2, or both on a 2 drive boot.

EDIT: It's really not possible to do much wrong when adding the second drive. It's "t" for select target drive, and "a" for add second drive... then "i" shows disk info including disk 1 of 2 and disk 2 of 2....

post #18 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

in RTVPatch/rtv_patch_funcs.c function patch_disk() makes use of u_int32 (which is fine for representing the 2B sectors in a 1TB drive) but also makes use of some int32 (signed).

I'm actually hopeing someone who knows this code and the RPTV on-disk structure will chime in.

E

post #19 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

a. The Replay can't handle 2TB

Seems extremely unlikely. An old limit was 4GB, which the Replay had to exceed. 2TB is only only 512 4GB, which isn't any kind of stretch. The Replay's file system limit is 4GB x 4GB or maybe 2GB x 4GB if it had a problem with signed arithmetic. So, 512 x 4GB shouldn't be any issue...

Quote:

b. The Replay can't handle these drives with these adapters in M/S slave mode. (CS is not an option on these SATA->IDE adapters)

Seems like more likely the case that you are having some kind of problem with dual drives. If it boots with the first drive installed but not with the second drive installed in addition to the first drive, then there is some kind of conflict. The Replay doesn't even use the second drive as it boots, so adding the second drive is making it so the Replay can't boot off the first drive. Maybe you need a different adapter or try PATA drives...

Quote:

c. RTVPATCH isn't properly patching the drives. After the patch it does "see" drive 1 as "Drive 1 of 2" but it (1) reports errors during the patch and (2) doesn't work in the Replay.

Well, it certainly doesn't sound good that RTVPatch is reporting errors. However, not even patching the second drive shouldn't have anything to do with booting off the first drive. If you were to completely erase the second drive so it had no file system what so ever, confirmed that the Replay booted with the 1st hard drive ONLY installed, then I would bet you the $500 that the Replay still wouldn't boot when you installed the second drive in addition to the first drive with there being no file system or partition on the second drive at all such that the Replay wouldn't even recognize the drive. That being because adding the second hard drive is likely causing a conflict with the first hard drive...

There is also some possibility that the cluster size is too small such that there is a problem in creating the allocation table. You can look at the source for RTVPatch or even the documentation on the Replay file system, http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/omfs.html, to see that could be a problem or not. I think the default cluster size is 1 sector or 512 bytes. Obviously with 1TB drive, that could get to be quite a few descriptors (2 billion descriptors), which might be too many. So, maybe you need to force RTVPatch to use more sectors per cluster. You could always try increasing the cluster size to see if that makes any difference or not. But, that really shouldn't have anything to do with the Replay not booting when you have the second hard drive installed...

Henry
post #20 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in RTVPatch/rtv_patch_funcs.c function patch_disk() makes use of u_int32 (which is fine for representing the 2B sectors in a 1TB drive) but also makes use of some int32 (signed).

I'm actually hopeing someone who knows this code and the RPTV on-disk structure will chime in.

u_int32 is 4B, not 2B. int32 is 2B (positive or negative)...

You can try contacting FlipFlop to see what he remembers or can tell you. But, I think I am the only one still messing with that code in working on enhancing the extract program which uses much of the RTVPatch code (in the same project on SourceForge)...

Henry
post #21 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

u_int32 is 4B, not 2B. int32 is 2B (positive or negative)...

You can try contacting FlipFlop to see what he remembers or can tell you. But, I think I am the only one still messing with that code in working on enhancing the extract program which uses much of the RTVPatch code (in the same project on SourceForge)...

Henry

Right... what I said is that u_int32 is just fine for representing 2B (since 4B is the limit) but I'm not so sure about the unsigned.

I'll take the suggestion to wipe out the stuff on Drive2 and see if I can get the system to boot with the two drives connected.

I will post here when I have those results.

E

post #22 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a version newer than that on sourceforge? I am unable to simply build it using gcc 4.2.3 on ubuntu 8.04 using kernel 2.6.26-rc8. The exact errors appear to be passed datatype related.

Ehud
gavron@egxps:/tmp/RTVPatch/Linux$ make
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c ../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c -o ../common/rtv_patch_funcs.o
In file included from ../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:30:
../common/rtv_defs.h:193: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[446]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:196: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:197: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[3]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:198: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:199: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[3]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:239: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[456]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:248: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[192]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:249: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[8]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:250: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[56]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:257: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[736]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:267: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:268: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:279: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[8]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:283: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[256]’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘_llseek’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘fd’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘offset_high’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘offset_low’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘result’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘whence’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_syscall5’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c: In function ‘rtv_lseek’:
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:148: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_llseek’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c: In function ‘patch_disk’:
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1510: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘get_crc’ differ in signedness
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c: In function ‘format_partition’:
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1934: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘__builtin_strncpy’ differ in signedness
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1992: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘__builtin_strncpy’ differ in signedness
make: *** [../common/rtv_patch_funcs.o] Error 1

post #23 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Having the SATA->IDE adapter connected does not prevent a boot either in M or S mode.
Having the second drive connected to the adapter does prevent a boot.

E

post #24 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've resolved the actual errors, and even minimized the warnings (there's one left). I tried to use code that was kernel version specific but I couldn't get the #IFs to do what I wanted so I sloppily left it as #ifdef EHUD.

Here is the patch to the current CVS version. This compiles on 2.6.26-rc8. It is only compile/link tested. I have not run it. There have been changes in __llseek() on 64-bit architechture. Everything else is cosmetic.

Best regards,

Ehud
$ diff -urN RTVPatch RTVPatch-new/
diff -urN RTVPatch/common/rtv_defs.h RTVPatch-new/common/rtv_defs.h
--- RTVPatch/common/rtv_defs.h 2002-10-22 18:08:26.000000000 -0700
+++ RTVPatch-new/common/rtv_defs.h 2008-07-06 15:49:53.000000000 -0700
@@ -1,3 +1,4 @@
+#define EHUD 1
/************************************************************ ****************
* File: rtv_defs.h
@@ -175,9 +176,11 @@
#pragma pack(1)

#else /* Linux gcc */
-
+# ifdef EHUD
+# define PACKED /* */
+# else
#define PACKED __attribute__ ((packed))
-
+# endif
#endif

diff -urN RTVPatch/common/rtv_patch_funcs.c RTVPatch-new/common/rtv_patch_funcs.c
--- RTVPatch/common/rtv_patch_funcs.c 2005-11-08 09:04:24.000000000 -0700
+++ RTVPatch-new/common/rtv_patch_funcs.c 2008-07-06 16:04:37.000000000 -0700
@@ -1,3 +1,5 @@
+#define EHUD 1
+
/************************************************************ ****************
* File: rtv_patch_funcs.c
@@ -39,6 +41,11 @@
# include
# ifndef __MACH__
# include
+# ifdef EHUD
+# define __llseek llseek
+# define _llseek llseek
+# endif
+
# endif
/* These have no meaning in Linux */
# define O_RANDOM 0
@@ -137,15 +144,33 @@

#else /* ifdef __MACH__ */

+#ifndef EHUD
_syscall5(int,_llseek,uint,fd,unsigned long,offset_high,
unsigned long,offset_low,loff_t *,result,uint,whence);
+#else
+static int _llseek(unsigned int fd, unsigned long offset_high, unsigned long offset_low, loff_t *result, unsigned int whence)
+{
+ if (offset_high)
+ return -1;
+ *result = lseek(fd, offset_low, whence);
+ if (*result == -1)
+ return -1;
+ return 0;
+}
+#endif
+
+

int rtv_lseek(int fd,uint64 pos)
{
unsigned long a=(unsigned long)(pos>>32);
unsigned long b=(unsigned long)(pos & 0xffffffff);
-
+#ifndef EHUD
pos=_llseek(fd,a,b,&pos,SEEK_SET);
+#else
+ pos=(uint64)_llseek(fd,a,b,&pos,SEEK_SET);
+#endif
+
if(pos == ((uint64)-1)) {
LogMessage("File seek error");
return 0;
@@ -1507,7 +1532,11 @@
crcbuflen = (fat[0x0a] << 8 | fat[0x0b]);
if (crcbuflen < sizeof(fat) - CRC_OFFSET)
{
+#ifndef EHUD
crc = get_crc(&fat[CRC_OFFSET], crcbuflen);
+#else
+ crc = get_crc((unsigned char *)&fat[CRC_OFFSET], crcbuflen);
+#endif
LogMessage1(" CRC is 0x%04x", crc);
*(unsigned short *) &fat[0x0c] = BE16(crc);
}
@@ -1931,7 +1960,12 @@
inode.clustersize=BE32(clustersize); /* Number of bytes per cluster */
inode.superclustersize=BE32(1); /* Number of clusters in standard allocation block */
inode.mirrors=BE64(2); /* Number of copies of each inode */
+#ifndef EHUD
strncpy(inode.label,label,8); /* Partition label */
+#else
+ strncpy((char *)inode.label,label,8); /* Partition label */
+
+#endif
inode.name[178]=4; /* This sets the system block size value to 0x400 */

add_crc_and_xor(&inode);
@@ -1989,7 +2023,11 @@
inode.type3=0xD2;
inode.parent_dir=BE64(3); /* Parent directory pointer (root dir) */
inode.clusters=(uint64)(-1); /* Sibling pointer (no siblings) */
+#ifndef EHUD
strncpy(inode.name,initdirs[i],sizeof(inode.name));
+#else
+ strncpy((char *)inode.name,initdirs[i],sizeof(inode.name));
+#endif
/* HACK ALERT!!! */
/* To match the sample photo partition, set timestamp=0 for tmp directory */
/* and match the sample's Photo directory timestamp */

Ehud

post #25 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a version newer than that on sourceforge? I am unable to simply build it using gcc 4.2.3 on ubuntu 8.04 using kernel 2.6.26-rc8.

If you look at the latest extract_rtv.c on SourceForge, you will see all the changes I made to make it work with the latest ubuntu (you can diff it with the previous version to see how I changed it). I changed the way it packed the structures and I added for it to use the newer way of calling lseek()...

Henry
post #26 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having the SATA->IDE adapter connected does not prevent a boot either in M or S mode.
Having the second drive connected to the adapter does prevent a boot.

That adapter may not work as one would hope, or maybe not as the Replay can handle...

Henry
post #27 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you look at the latest extract_rtv.c on SourceForge, you will see all the changes I made to make it work with the latest ubuntu (you can diff it with the previous version to see how I changed it). I changed the way it packed the structures and I added for it to use the newer way of calling lseek()...

Henry

The latest version from CVS fails to build. The version I patched (see 2 above) does.

E
EDIT: I suspect you may not be on a 64-bit platform and your unistd.h is including the 32bit asm file...

$ make
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c ../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c -o ../common/rtv_patch_funcs.o
../common/rtv_defs.h:193: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[446]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:196: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:197: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[3]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:198: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:199: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[3]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:239: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[456]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:248: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[192]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:249: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[8]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:250: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[56]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:257: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘char[736]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:267: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:268: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char’
../common/rtv_defs.h:279: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[8]’
../common/rtv_defs.h:283: warning: ‘packed’ attribute ignored for field of type ‘unsigned char[256]’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘_llseek’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘fd’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:140: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘offset_high’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘offset_low’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘result’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘whence’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:141: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_syscall5’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:148: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_llseek’
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1510: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘get_crc’ differ in signedness
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1934: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘__builtin_strncpy’ differ in signedness
../common/rtv_patch_funcs.c:1992: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘__builtin_strncpy’ differ in signedness

post #28 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The latest version from CVS fails to build. The version I patched (see 2 above) does.

You didn't read that I said the lastest version of extract_rtv.c. I changed all the packing:

Code:
#pragma pack(1)
struct checksum_d {
        uint64 self;            /* pointer to self */
        uint32 endptr;
        uint16 crc;             /* dont know how to compute yet */
        uint16 unknown3;
        uint16 type2;           /* no idea */
        uint8 type3;
        uint8 xor;              /* completes checksum over above */
};

struct header_d {
        struct checksum_d checksum;
        uint32 unknown4;
};
#pragma pack()
Instead of:

Code:
struct checksum_d {
        uint64 self PACKED;             /* pointer to self */
        uint32 endptr PACKED;
        uint16 crc PACKED;              /* dont know how to compute yet */
        uint16 unknown3 PACKED;
        uint16 type2 PACKED;            /* no idea */
        uint8 type3 PACKED;
        uint8 xor PACKED;               /* completes checksum over above */
};

struct header_d {
        struct checksum_d checksum;
        uint32 unknown4 PACKED;
};
And, I changed the lseek():

* 3/28/2007 Fixed to compile on newer Linux variants that don't have _syscall5 (hdonzis)

Code:
#ifdef _syscall5

static _syscall5(int,_llseek,uint,fd,unsigned long,offset_high,
                                 unsigned long,offset_low,loff_t *,result,uint,whence);

#else /* ifdef _syscall5 */

static int _llseek(uint fd,unsigned long offset_high,
                                   unsigned long offset_low,loff_t *result,uint whence)
{
        return syscall(__NR__llseek,fd,offset_high,offset_low,result,whence);
}

#endif // _syscall5
In addition, I got rid of all the signed/unsigned warnings as well by either casting or changing the variable type...

You can diff through the web CVS to see how I changed it from before to after...

Henry
post #29 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You didn't read that I said the lastest version of extract_rtv.c. I changed all the packing:
Henry

I don't know how you think you can tell what I did or did not read. However, what I did is checkout the entire CVS repository and it fails to build.

I just (19:44 GMT-0700) did it again.

Ehud
PS I'm running 64-bit and the latest kernel as of a few days ago 2.6.26-rc8)

gavron@egxps:/tmp$ rm -rf RTVPatch
gavron@egxps:/tmp$ !cvs
cvs -z3 -dserver:anonymous@rtvpatch.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rtvpatch co RTVPatch
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch
U RTVPatch/xrtvpatch.glade
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch/Linux
U RTVPatch/Linux/Makefile
U RTVPatch/Linux/XRTVPatch.c
U RTVPatch/Linux/callbacks.c
U RTVPatch/Linux/callbacks.h
U RTVPatch/Linux/if_glue.c
U RTVPatch/Linux/if_glue.h
U RTVPatch/Linux/interface.c
U RTVPatch/Linux/interface.h
U RTVPatch/Linux/pcdrive.xpm
U RTVPatch/Linux/replay.xpm
U RTVPatch/Linux/replay1.xpm
U RTVPatch/Linux/replay2.xpm
U RTVPatch/Linux/replay_big.xpm
U RTVPatch/Linux/support.c
U RTVPatch/Linux/support.h
U RTVPatch/Linux/unknown.xpm
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch/W2K
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.README
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.aps
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.clw
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.dsp
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.dsw
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.ncb
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.opt
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.plg
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch.rc
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatchApp.cpp
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatchApp.h
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatchDlg.cpp
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatchDlg.h
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch_Console.dsp
U RTVPatch/W2K/RTVPatch_Console.plg
U RTVPatch/W2K/StdAfx.cpp
U RTVPatch/W2K/StdAfx.h
U RTVPatch/W2K/driveid.c
U RTVPatch/W2K/if_glue.cpp
U RTVPatch/W2K/if_glue.h
U RTVPatch/W2K/resource.h
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch/W2K/res
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/RTVPatch.ico
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/RTVPatch.rc2
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/pcdrive.ico
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/replay1.ico
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/replay2.ico
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/replaytv.ico
U RTVPatch/W2K/res/unknown.ico
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch/common
U RTVPatch/common/crc.c
U RTVPatch/common/crcmodel.h
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_crc.c
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_crc.h
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_defs.c
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_defs.h
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_patch_funcs.c
U RTVPatch/common/rtv_patch_funcs.h
cvs checkout: Updating RTVPatch/console
U RTVPatch/console/Makefile
U RTVPatch/console/if_glue.c
U RTVPatch/console/if_glue.h
U RTVPatch/console/rtv_console.c
U RTVPatch/console/rtv_console.h
gavron@egxps:/tmp$ cd RTVPatch/Linux/
gavron@egxps:/tmp/RTVPatch/Linux$ make
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c XRTVPatch.c -o XRTVPatch.o
In file included from XRTVPatch.c:18:
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c interface.c -o interface.o
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c callbacks.c -o callbacks.o
In file included from callbacks.c:13:
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c support.c -o support.o
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c if_glue.c -o if_glue.o
In file included from if_glue.c:26:
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c ../common/crc.c -o ../common/crc.o
gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` -I../common -I. -c ../common/rtv_crc.c -o ../common/rtv_crc.o

post #30 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sigh. Now who's reaching? I don't know how you think you can tell what I did or did not read. However, what I did is checkout the entire CVS repository and it fails to build.

Because, you aren't reading that I'm talking about the extract_rtv project and you are talking about the RTVPatch project. They are both in the RTVPatch repository, but there are three projects under that, Extract, extract_rtv, and RTVPatch. Extract_rtv is a much simpler project with just a couple of source files (crctest.c and extract_rtv.c), but the main source file I quoted above has a lot of code out of the RTVPatch project. And, I updated the code back in March to compile on Umbuntu. So, if you want, you can look at the changes that I made to extract_rtv.c and make similar changes to the RTVPatch source code (which I quoted above, like how I fixed the _syscall5 error and the packing errors)...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page