Original ReplayTV hard drive not recognized - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, if someone is able to help me recover my mother-in-law's Replay shows, she'll be very happy. She may even seek you out and give you a kiss or two!

My MIL's 5516 experienced the dreaded "Please Wait..." coma and I've been asked to help since I know a thing or two about them thar PeeCees. I referenced the handful of helpful Replay TV sites (Planet Replay, ReplayTV Upgrades, Replay FAQs, etc.) and attempted to grab the TV shows off of the Replay drive, if at all possible. Here's what I did to reach this point of desperation:

- I attached the drive to my test XP machine to the Master channel of the Secondary IDE; drive sounds like it booted, no grinds or clicks to wince at

- Ran the latest extract_rtv5.exe (v75), but it did not find a ReplayTV drive

- Peeked into Windows Disk Management utility to see if the drive was hooked up...yep, it's listed as "Disk 2, Basic, 152.66GB, Online, Unallocated"

- Googled around and said, "Son of ..." after I discovered that the above step was highly unrecommended.

- Ran RTVPatch_2.5.3 and saw that the drive was listed, but with a yellow exclamation point and the discouraging words, "NOT a ReplayTV Disk".

- Found a post on the AVS archive that describes a painful, gut-wrenching, LINUX-lingo-laden process to repair the Replay partition if the above takes place.

Is there any way to fix the Replay drive WITHOUT having to resort to using LINUX?? I have zero experience with LINUX and don't really feel like experimenting with at this point, but, if it's the only choice...

So, is there any hope with a Windows based solution here or is LINUX the only way to go?

Thanks,
jawgee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

While you're waiting for a real answer, please keep in mind two things. First, it's only television and secondly, there is always poopli.

Bye.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle View Post

While you're waiting for a real answer, please keep in mind two things. First, it's only television and secondly, there is always poopli.

Bye.

Try telling that to my mother-in-law! I can see the tears streaming already as there was lots of stuff that she just kind of recorded on the fly...Clay Aiken singing on Good Morning America, local news coverage on Extreme Home Makeover, etc.

She never used Poopli, so maybe that along with a larger hard drive will appease her while I learn LINUX.

Thanks,
jawgee
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update...I was able to get my MIL's RTV up and running with a used 250GB Maxtor 7200rpm drive. I'm still looking for a Windows solution to recover her old shows from the original RTV drive, although she didn't seem as sad about losing the shows as I was expecting her to be.

Thanks,
jawgee
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
And Replay is not Linux.

Tony
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorta on topic. Staples is selling the Maxtor L01R300 drive for $40. I've searched the forum about this drive, but didn't see any specific compatibility confirmations. I'd stock up on a few of these for future maintenance if they'll work in RTV 50xx units. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks...

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...tNumber=583700
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post

Sorta on topic. Staples is selling the Maxtor L01R300 drive for $40. I've searched the forum about this drive, but didn't see any specific compatibility confirmations. I'd stock up on a few of these for future maintenance if they'll work in RTV 50xx units. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks...

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...tNumber=583700

There have been many reports of problems with drives that have a 16mb cache. I don't know if that is the case with this one but I wouldn't purchase more than one until I was sure that it would work.