ReplayTV tools.. TiVo equivalents? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As I'm thinking about switching to a TiVo HD, I though about how many great tools are available for the replay, and if there are equivalents available for TiVo. Suprisingly, even though the TiVo community is supposedly larger due to the fact they are still in business, the software tools available seem to be much less mature.
Those of you that have made the switch.. can you help fill this list?

Replay: WiRNS - Intercepts phone-home events and allows (except for activation) modification at will for custom guides, settings, etc.
TiVo: ??

Replay: DVArchive - simulates another unit for file transfer, show transfer and viewing on PC.
TiVo: tivoserver?? only for series 2, not HD.

Replay: RTVCONVERT - converts replaytv native files to dvd standard files

Replay: RTVPatch - Enables ordinary hard drives to be formatted and loaded with images for use in replayTV

Replay: ExtractRTV - Allows filesystem translation so files can be transferred directly to a bare replaytv hard drive
TiVo: Linux, I assume they use a common linux file system?

Any other useful links to software or tools or information are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlava View Post

Replay: WiRNS - Intercepts phone-home events and allows (except for activation) modification at will for custom guides, settings, etc.

TiVo: Short of hacking the unit itself to gain access to the Linux OS I am not aware of a similar product for the TiVo.

Quote:

Replay: DVArchive - simulates another unit for file transfer, show transfer and viewing on PC.

TiVo: I personally use pyTivo. It has great functionality to convert on the fly any video on your PC to the TiVo's format. It has a good forum and great user base. Also I created a replay plugin that will allow you to download videos directly off any replays you still have around. PyTivo Replay Plugin

Quote:

TiVo: Actually a number of solutions exist. Once you install the free version of TiVo Desktop you have the filters needed to convert the .TIVO files into Mpeg2s. These are DVD compiliant files and do not need to go through any preprocessors before being used in your DVD authoring system. I use Direct Show Dump and it works fine and is fast.

Quote:

Replay: RTVPatch - Enables ordinary hard drives to be formatted and loaded with images for use in replayTV

TiVo: Lots of tools out there. I have not done this myself but many, many how tos out on the internet.

Quote:

Replay: ExtractRTV - Allows filesystem translation so files can be transferred directly to a bare replaytv hard drive

TiVo: It does use the Linux format however I am not sure you can preload shows into the drive. I know you can easily extract the shows from the TiVo drive. But the how-tos in the previous question will duplicate all the existing shows when you upgrade your drives so this may be a mute point.
[/quote]

Again I am a big fan of PyTivo. Easy to use, works well, and is still be updated. There is a push to get support of the new Mpeg4 file type that was recently enabled on the latest TiVo firmware. I am sure this will be enabled with in a month or so.

As an asside I was a huge ReplayTV fan. I still am even though I no longer own any units. The Tivo was the dark side and I hated it initially. But I soon found the ways to do most of what I was able to do in the Replay. It is sad that ReplayTVs interface was not updated, but I think given the cablecos pressure Tivo will update their interface more often than in the past.

Rick
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM

rfryar - Thanks for your informative post. I, like many others, are contemplating the switch to Tivo but are spoiled by what we have/had with ReplayTV.

What I'm still trying to figure out is if I will be able to do with Tivo High Def shows what I can currently do with ReplayTV and DVArchive - record a show, move it to a NAS server (to both free up space on the Tivo and enable all-house sharing), and then use Tivo to play it back off the NAS server.

I see where Tivo To Go allows me to move shows from the Tivo to the desktop - will this move the entire high def file or just a 'portable' version, and can it be stored on a NAS vs. on the desktop local drive? I followed your pyTivo link and I must admit after an admittedly short perusal I'm still scratching my head on everything it can do (it does say it can transfer (not play) Tivo recordings from the computer back to Tivo for playback).

Any clarification would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The cablecos are pressuring Tivo to change their interface?????

Tony
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you rfryer for your input!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

As I'm thinking about switching to a TiVo HD, I though about how many great tools are available for the replay, and if there are equivalents available for TiVo. Suprisingly, even though the TiVo community is supposedly larger due to the fact they are still in business, the software tools available seem to be much less mature.
Those of you that have made the switch.. can you help fill this list?

TiVo: Linux, I assume they use a common linux file system?

Any other useful links to software or tools or information are appreciated.

It's so sad......knowing that Replay couldabeenacontenda......
and would've kicked Tivo's butt!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoos View Post

What I'm still trying to figure out is if I will be able to do with Tivo High Def shows what I can currently do with ReplayTV and DVArchive - record a show, move it to a NAS server (to both free up space on the Tivo and enable all-house sharing), and then use Tivo to play it back off the NAS server.

The answer is it depends. Most broadcast shows yes you can do this. However if your cable co marks a particular cable change with the protected flag then the show can not be moved off the TiVo it is currently on. I have never encountered this issue as my cable co only protects HBO, ShowTime and I do not subscribe to them. But I have heard of this.

So depending on what you want to save off the answer is yes.

Rick
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page