CECB compatibility list (with 5000 series)......so far - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just to simplify things...... for the Replay users that are considering a digital to analog converter box (without having to download software modifications, etc.)
From my personal (extensive) experience (with a 5000 series unit).
Compatibility may differ with other series' Replay or Showstopper units.

Listed in order of overall performance:

Channel Master CM-7000 (uses code #0144) - Excellent performance overall. Best for weaker signals. Picture quality excells over all other boxes tested. Front panel switches are glitchy (not an issue for most users but can be quite annoying if you need to use them). Has S-video output. Remote control is larger than necessary, with extra buttons that don't function (strange!). Larger than average unit. Build quality seems better than average.
Digital Stream DTX-9950/DSP-7700 (uses code #7470) - Very good performance overall. Not quite as sensitive as the CM but will work well in most situations. Channel changing (using aforementioned code #) is swift and doesn't lag on previous channel. Remote control is better than average (but cluttered). Very small unit.
(Not recommended that you use this unit in same location with Channel Master or Apex, as remotes codes interfere with each other)
Dish Network "DTV PAL"/TR-40CRA - (uses code #7775) - Good picture quality (although this can vary from one channel to another and in some cases, PQ is worse than average). Sensitivity is good (similar to DS or somewhat better). Best on-screen displays and EPG (although EPG can be unreliable, with limited program data for some channels). Has various known reliability problems with clock and timer functions (if being IR controlled by Replay, this is of no consequence). Remote control is better than average (but cluttered). Very small unit.
Apex 250/502 (uses code #7470) - Decent performance overall but has some sensitivity issues and produces pale color and a (slight) greenish cast. Overall picture quality only decent. Limited recommendation. Channel changing (using aforementioned code #) is swift and doesn't lag on previous channel. Has S-video output. Remote control is worse than average. Larger than average unit. Build quality seems better than average.
(Not recommended that you use this unit in same location with DS, as remotes codes interfere with each other)
RCA DTA800B1 - (can't recall code #) - Poorly performing box overall (both sensitivity and picture quality were worse than the above). Tends to lock up and requires removing and reconnecting power. Remote control is better than average and very user friendly (with larger than average buttons and less clutter than others tested). Can be used in upright position (can be stood on it's side). Small unit.- Not recommended (for Replay users and in general).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would be helpful if you'd include whether an S-Video output is available and the options in the video output, such as cropped 4:3, letterboxed 16:9, and anamorphic 16:9.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas View Post

It would be helpful if you'd include whether an S-Video output is available and the options in the video output, such as cropped 4:3, letterboxed 16:9, and anamorphic 16:9.

Hi, Neighbor!

The only boxes out there that have S-video are the Channel Master and the Apex (I edited my post, as per your suggestion). They're both on my list but the CM is clearly superior to the Apex.

The aspect ratio is variable on all CECB's. However, there are variations (in terms of overscan, cropping, etc.). Had there been any unusual issues with this feature (on these boxes), I would have mentioned it. Of the Replay compatible boxes, all of the ones I tested were good to very good in terms of this feature.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM

I just got my cm-7000 and I'm ready to hook it up to the replay 5000. Planning to feed the replay the s-video signal (is that a 480p progressive scan signal it gets converted to or just 480i?).

If my overall source signal to the CM for most recordings is OTA and 720p or better and I'm feeding a Sammy DLP high def from the Replay via Component and High quality recording level, what aspect ratio setting on the CM do you think will look the best in the end?

I hope that question is clear.

Thanks,
Todd
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randaltw View Post

I just got my cm-7000 and I'm ready to hook it up to the replay 5000. Planning to feed the replay the s-video signal (is that a 480p progressive scan signal it gets converted to or just 480i?).

The output format is 480i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randaltw View Post

If my overall source signal to the CM for most recordings is OTA and 720p or better and I'm feeding a Sammy DLP high def from the Replay via Component and High quality recording level, what aspect ratio setting on the CM do you think will look the best in the end?

The best setting depends on which type of content you want to look best.

For optimal recording of 16:9 content, set the CM-7000 to 16:9. When playing programs from the Replay, set the TV to 16:9. (This is the setting I use.)

For optimal recording of 4:3 content, set the CM-7000 to letterbox. When playing programs from the Replay, set the TV to 4:3 for 4:3 content and ZOOM (or equivalent) for 16:9 content.

Be sure to try each ReplayTV output (composite, S-video, and component) with your TV to see which one looks best. On my TV, the Replay's S-video output looks best because the deinterlacer in the TV is newer and better than the one in the Replay.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Thanks a lot for that reply.

I hooked it all up Friday, seems to be working pretty well. For my recorded programs, pretty much 95% is coming in off the antenna as 16:9 (720p or 1080i) content so I'm good with just setting up the cm-7000 the best for that all the time.

But, I don't see a setting for the CM-7000 for 16:9. Or do I have to be currently watching 16:9 content for that setting to show up? The only thing I could find in the manual is:

Output: 4:3 / 16:9 with letter box pan and scan.

So I just set it on letter box for everything. But that contridicts what you say in that I should only use that for 4:3 content. But I was probably receiving 4:3 content when I set that because it was during the day, not primetime, so CBS or whatever station I was using for setup I'm sure was only coming in at 4:3.

So I'm kinda confused on where to find and set the 16:9 output setting on the CM-7000?

I have the replay hooked up to the tv via component. It's always looked pretty good, even when it was just recording coax analog at med quality. I've never bothered messing with the out to tv on svideo or composite because I just figured component was the "best" output on the replay.

Todd
post #7 of 7 Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Dish Network "DTV PAL"/TR-40CRA - (uses code #7775) - Good picture quality (although this can vary from one channel to another and in some cases, PQ is worse than average). Sensitivity is good (similar to DS or somewhat better). Best on-screen displays and EPG (although EPG can be unreliable, with limited program data for some channels). Has various known reliability problems with clock and timer functions (if being IR controlled by Replay, this is of no consequence). Remote control is better than average (but cluttered). Very small unit.

Don't forget "has absolutely no ventilation whatsoever, and box can get extremely hot, bringing into question potential lifespan issues" (mine actually starts "acting up" and going crazy with the heat after it's been on a few hours).
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page