AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by raze
Rich,

I know you are an ATI AIW man from way back.
What PC capture card are you using now?
Have you been on the SVCD forum lately/

Later,
Ray
I'm using an ATI All In Wonder 128 32MB card. (thinking of getting one of the newer Radeon AIWs some day) Right now the 128 is doing everything perfectly.

And yes, I hang out at the SVCD forum and lurk there daily.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 344 Old 08-06-2002, 10:16 PM

Hey RichA,

You mentioned the software engine now being able to capture at 48khz. Can you elaborate? What software are you using to capture your shows? I have 1.1 ghz intel setup, with 512 SDRAM under windows xp. Could I duplicate your obviously excellent results?
post #333 of 344 Old 08-06-2002, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

The latest MMC from ATI for the ATI AIW Radeon cards. IT's 7.7.1

Although only supported for the All in Wonder Radeons it also works fine for me and my AIW Rage 128.

Rich
post #334 of 344 Old 09-01-2002, 08:15 PM

I've burned 4 Seinfeld DVD's from ReplayTV mpegs using MPEG2VCR to remove the commercials and DVDit to make the menus and burn the discs. Those were recorded in the lowest quality format on the ReplayTV. I was able to get 8 episodes per DVD and they look good and play well in my DVD player.

Now I'm trying to burn a "Freaks and Geeks" DVD. Now I'm dealing with the HIGHEST QUALITY recordings from my ReplayTV. I was able to remove the commercials from the shows with MPEG2VCR with no problem, which reduced the file sizes from 2.4 gigs to 1.7 or so. But when I try to burn 2 of these episodes to a DVD with DVDit, during the operation called "Planning projet multiplexing" I get the error message "Data exceeded multiplexable bit rate". Does anyone
a) know what this means
b) know if DVDit can handle this task

or, if all else fails
c) which software is better for this job?

I already spent (read: wasted) my money buying NeoDVD plus before finding out it sucks and went with DVDit.

All help appreciated!
post #335 of 344 Old 09-01-2002, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sometimes those error messages can be misleading. While I don't know what it means in your case I can tell you what usually drives DVD authoring software crazy.

1. GOP 's with more than 15 pictures in them.
2. problems with incorrect audio (ie 44.1 instead of 48 kHz.

Try parsing your mpeg through Womble's GOP fix utility to see if it finds any errors. If so have it fix them and give it another go.

Another big problem for a lot of DVD authoring software is caused when you use program streams for assets. When you are done editing in Womble, de-mulitplex your finished mpeg program stream into separate elementary streams. Keep the name the same for both only setting the extenion proper for each. For example if you had an mpeg named " mymovie.mpg" when you demux it name them "mymovie.mpv" for the video and "mymovie.mpa" for the audio. Then in DVDIT, just import the video and it should find and import the correct audio to go with it and do it's own multiplexing. It "sounds" from your description that you might already be doing that. But maybe not and perhaps what DVDit is doing is doing it's own De-multiplexing and then Multiplexing again. If that's the case, could be that you'll do better supplying it with an already demulltiplexed set of elementary streams.

I use the no-longer-avaialbe SpruceUp myself. I got a copy of DVDit LE with my DVD-R burner, and glanced at it. SpruceUp was much simplier and I stuck with that. The only thing you need to worry about as far as total size for the DVD goes is that you won't be able to fill the full 4.7 GB. Because of over-head, etc. it will be a bit less .. like 4.3 or so. I've never gone over (or had the need to go over) about 3.9 GB. Don't think that's a worry for you as you are well under that size.

Rich
post #336 of 344 Old 09-02-2002, 11:36 AM

I seperated the .mpg files into .mpv and .mpa files and DVDit ended up crashing trying to make the DVD with that source material...

If anyone else is using HIGHEST QUALITY ReplayTV .mpg files to make DVDs, I'd like to know what software you are using. Or at least how you test the "multiplexable bit rate" so it doesn't exceed the program's limitations.

thanks!
post #337 of 344 Old 09-02-2002, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I use the high quality RPTV Mpegs all the time.

I use SpruceUp for my DVD authoring and Womble for my editing.

FWIW, I've stopped checking the medium and high RPtV Mpegs as I can never find anything wrong with them. I've used them right out of the ReplayTV box with no editing at all and have not had a problem yet.

I'm not inclined to say it's DVDit just yet however. The fact that you are seeing a lot of errors being reported worries me. The ONLY ReplayTV mpegs I ever see errors (when checked with the Womble's GOP fixer) are those that are low gualtiy. About 99 percent of them are bad. Womble fixes them fine and they burn fine. The only problem I've seen with the low quality ones are tens of thousands of PTS audio errors. GOB size and other things seem fine.

I wonder if there is something amiss with your ReplayTV mpegs as extracted from the ReplayTV? There seems to be a lot of guys having this problem with all kinds of errors and it's strange that I never see them.

Again I'd suggest using ReplayPC in a DOS window command line mode and see what happens. Since you've now tried two authoring programs and neither work .. I'd look at the source. If you want to try SpruceUp (which I've been using for what seems forever) drop me a private email and I'll help you out. Personally I don't think it's going to help though.

Later tonight, I'll try using my DVDit LE and see if I also have problems. Will post back here my results.

Rich
post #338 of 344 Old 09-02-2002, 09:11 PM

Just for the heck of it I tried authoring the DVD with Ulead DVD Factory to see if it would work... It works.

I am not as enamored with DVD Factory's menu options compared to DVDit, but I'll live with cookie cutter menus (compared to my Seinfeld menus made with DVDit, which rock I'm not ashamed to say) just so I can have HIGHEST QUALITY masters of all 18 episodes of "Freaks and Geeks". Since there is such a legal dogfight going on about the rights to the music in that show it doesn't appear it will ever appear on DVD and I want to have a permanant copy of that show... Even if it takes 9 DVD+R's to do it.

So far I've now heard of these authoring programs:
-Spruce Up (haven't tried it)
-neoDVD plus (worst money ever spent)
-DVDit (excellent menu options, but it doesn't tell you much when it has an error, I mean "data exceeded multiplexable bitrate"?!? please!
-DVD Factory (kind of a cross between neoDVD's cookie cutter simplicity and DVDit's custom options. At least it works every time so far)
post #339 of 344 Old 09-02-2002, 11:49 PM

Has anyone ever tried NeroMIX or NeroVision Express? I just saw this as I was downloading the new Nero 5.5.9.9.

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
post #340 of 344 Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's good news vaylen !! I've found that most DVD authoring software acts differently if the source has any kind of problems. Best of course is to have a perfect source. But is that's not possible, as you can see, some are able to handle problems differently. My offer still goes. If you want to try SpruceUp drop me an email here. I'll "loan" you a copy of mine. :) But it sounds very much like DVDit might have better menu creation. I'll find out when I get around to playing with my DVDit LE version.

For "Gnarf" .. I'm also a Nero user and also saw that information. The new DVD application is not yet ready and hasn't been released yet. (although there may be beta copies or something floating around)

I'm amazed at how the Ahead people keep upgrading their product and keep offering these updates to currently registered owners in the form of free updates. I "think" the only upgrade I've had to pay for was prior to version 5, This new application (which I think is going to be integrated into version 5.9 ? ) is also going to be free to current version 5.x owners. Pretty nice. That's a major update (to include DVD authoring) in my opion. (sshhhh, don't let Ahead know I said that) :) Have you seen the sample screen shots? Looks to be very intutitive.

Rich
post #341 of 344 Old 09-04-2002, 06:14 PM

Does anyone know what a "Parseing Error" is when using spruce-up? I'm getting it when inputing media into step 1
Thanks for the help
Rob
post #342 of 344 Old 09-04-2002, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's a general error that is vague to say the least. Mostly it means there's something wrong with the format of your Mpeg. Important things to watch are the frame size, GOP size (no GOPs with greater than 15 Pictures), and especially the audio which must be 48 kHz not 44.1

Those are the most obvious things and less obvious and more or less invisible to the user are intrinsic parameters that are part of the encoding process, like pack size, and multiplexing rate.

In order of most common SpruceUp chokers.

1. GOP size problems
2. Audio rates
3. Errors in headers (ie PTS errors etc)
4. Broken GOPs

Sometimes, if you supply SpruceUp with elementary streams instead of program streams, you will have less trouble. Then SpruceUp does it's own multiplexing and can sometimes fix small problems. Many times, I've had SpruceUp choke on a multiplexed program stream, only to have it work perfectly after I demultiplexed the program stream into separate elementary streams. Ie. MyMovie.mpv for video and MyMovie.mpa for audio.

Rich
post #343 of 344 Old 09-04-2002, 07:07 PM

Hi Rich
The stream I was using was demulitplexed, medium quality that had been run through mpeg-vcr gop fixer. I guess its just a bad file. I tried pulling it off the replay twice and the samething happened.

Rob
post #344 of 344 Old 09-04-2002, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah .. sometimes (not often thankfully) one of the RPTV mpegs are beyond hope.

Here's some more information that may help.

Try re-multiplexing the two streams back together with an editor that has an actual DVD profile.

Or, if during the importing of the asset (mpeg video) to your DVD authoring you are seeing a percentage read out .. make note of where it happens.

I've actually done the following and successfully "recovered" a glitched Mpeg. Let's say it croaks at 80 percent. Sometimes, there's something wrong with the original mpeg that causes an editor to glitch (yeah I like that word glitch heh heh) during a joining of two clips. Using a little math you can figure about where in the mpeg the problem is by noting the percent mark in SpruceUp where it died. So stick the mpeg back into Womble and scrub your way to that point. If you are lucky you'll find it at or near one of the joins that you made. If so, cut the mpeg into two at that point and join them back together with some sort of "effect". Like a merge or something. Normally where you are joining is between cuts or a scene change so something like a "merge" effect isn't too bad. What happens is that Womble will then re-encode that 1 or 2 seconds where the transition or effect was added. Since it's re-encoding, it just might (if you are lucky) fix the glitch. I've done this on occassion and the point where SrpuceUp croaked was usually where I can cut out a commercial and re-joined the clips.

Multiplex your streams back to program type.
Stick it back in Womble and get to where it corresponds to the percent as reported in SpruceUp
Cut and re-join that point inserting an effect to insure it re-encodes that full one second or so of video.

Good luck.

Rich
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page