Control Over Internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently living outside the US, so my beloved RTV is sitting idle and I am missing my regular TV shows. I thought about buying a Slingbox and putting it at my brothers house, but it occurred to me that the RTV might be able to do the same thing (downloading the RTV shows instead of streaming them like Slingbox).

So the question is: Is there a way to access the RTV over the internet? i.e. Plug the RTV into my brothers cable and his network, then be able to schedule recordings and download them through the internet w/o having a computer involved at my brothers house.

Any suggestions?
Anyone actually done it?

Thanks!!

Snowman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Yes, Its called dvarchive and ivsmagic. But you will need a pc at your brothers house. You will then schedule dvarchive to automatically download any new show to the pc. You can setup ivsmagic to control your replaytv and schedule shows.
You can also install ORB, which a free software based media server you install on your pc. When you setup orb and tell it where you download your shows you can log into orb from anywhere in the world and view those shows.

Thats probably the only way your going to view or control your replaytv.

Good Luck
post #3 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. But I can't afford to buy a PC just to control the RTV & my brother is phopic about putting anything on his house computer. I don't think he has installed anything that didn't come with it!

I was hoping to find way to install DVArchive on my computer and add a router to router "tunnel" to the RTV.

If that's not possible, I will probably just buy a Slingbox.

Snowman
post #4 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In your scenario, I think a Slingbox might make the most sense. What type of upstream bandwidth does your brother have?
post #5 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if you have internet at your current location, and a suitable NTSC TV, or one that can display an NTSC signal [multi-standard TVs are common overseas], why not just have a ReplayTV there using poopli to download the shows you're interested in? You wouldn't be able to record the local TV fare, but would you care? All your brother need to do is ship your RTV to you and you're all set.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I tried that a few times, but the folks at poopli didn't like to share with someone that was not also sharing. Since I had nothing to share it became a hassle trying to convince people to share with me.

But it's a good idea (i.e. cheap!!), I may re-try that approach.

Thanks

Snowman
post #7 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman53 View Post

I was hoping to find way to install DVArchive on my computer and add a router to router "tunnel" to the RTV.

You can do just that. I access my RTVs at my house from my office via a VPN tunnel between the two routers. DVArchive has no problem from my office accessing my RTVs at home. Although, it doesn't discover them automatically, I have to choose Open DVR to access them manually. But, everything works and I can download shows and program the RTVs...

I also have WiRNS running at my office accessing my RTVs at home. It allows me to schedule anything, download shows, send shows, check what's going to record, etc.

So, basically, using a VPN tunnel, you should be able to do pretty much anything that you could being directly on your brother's network. Except for the Replay auto discovery, which doesn't bother me at all...

Henry
post #8 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Great!! Would you mind giving me the nickle explaination of how you set up the VPN?

I am fairly proficient in "router", but have never messed with VPN's.

Is a VPN the same as a static route?

Snowman
post #9 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great!! Would you mind giving me the nickle explaination of how you set up the VPN?

I am fairly proficient in "router", but have never messed with VPN's.

Is a VPN the same as a static route?

I can't really generalize other than to say that it ISN'T a static route. There are all kinds of tunneling protocols -- IPSec, PPTP, etc. What you'd have to do is to find a common protocol AND encryption that both routers supported. Then, you'd follow the router's instructions on configuring a tunnel...

However, the VPN basically sets up another interface which has routes and such. But, the routing is through the tunnel such that you come out on the local network on both ends...

Not all routers (especially inexpensive ones) actually support setting up tunnels. What they typically support is running tunnels THROUGH them, like that your PC/Windows can tunnel through them...

Henry
post #10 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, only your brother's router needs to support a VPN endpoint. Specifically if it supported PPTP, then you could VPN from Windows directly into his network to run either DVArchive or WiRNS. For a Mac, you'd probably want IPSec with IKE (or, at least that what I used last time I setup a tunnel on a Mac) to run DVArchive. His router would also need to be running some kind of DDNS, like DynDNS so that you could connect to it somewhat statically...

Henry
post #11 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sharing with someone who does not share it kinda normal, but seems like you have different circumstances.

If you do this, find me on Poopli and you can have anything i have recorded or archived.

Quote:

I tried that a few times, but the folks at poopli didn't like to share with someone that was not also sharing. Since I had nothing to share it became a hassle trying to convince people to share with me.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Look at OpenVPN for a "relatively" easy PC to PC VPN over SSL. It only took me a half a day to put up a VPN with static preshared keys (not terribly secure). OpenVPN is also supported in DDWRT that runs in several sorts of routers.
I'm no expert at VPN! Just barely got a very simple one running. This is cheaper than the Slingbox route, but maybe not worth the time, depends on how much of each you have.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf75 View Post

This is cheaper than the Slingbox route ...

I can't imagine a used Slingbox Classic would cost very much on eBay these days.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

So you've encountered a couple of narrow minded slobs. There are many reasons why someone would not share his/her shows. From lousy reception and picture quality, to a slow upload pipe, to being overseas being just a few examples. I personally never even look at whether the requester is sharing shows or not. Feel free to request anything that's available on my stable of Replays.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page