What to do with my old ReplayTV 5040 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5040 that I have been using for a while on the monthly subscription. (Yes, i know that a lifetime activation would have been better, but it is too late now.) I have canceled my replayTV subscription, it will end at the end of the month.

Is there anything that I can do with the hardware? I am comfortable building my own PC's (and BSD firewalls ( www.joedotcom.com/category/m0n0wall/ ) I understand the replay runs an odd OS... but is there any way to re purpose the unit? if not, I am planning on at least ripping out the HD and maybe even reusing the case for a possible set-top PC or internet appliance (with new Motherboard, etc of course.

Any ideas suggestions? I have searched and not found many ideas for what to do once the replay is disconnected from its activation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sell ,sell sell
post #3 of 30 Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

It is unmodded. is it worth anything?

(it is chalk full of Dora the explorer right now :-P )
post #4 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Just ship it to me.

PM me for address

whirly
The Race for Space has no Finish Line
post #5 of 30 Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

They're pretty much worthless at this point. Sometimes you might get lucky and sell it to someone who has a defective unit. They're not worth the cost of repairing.

The ReplayTV community is rapidly disappearing. Requests for shows on Poopli usually don't get responses. Accounts at DVArchive.org are being canceled and the site admin is unreachable. Even posts here get few substantive responses. It's sad.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 AM

ridiculous- Poopli is active and every request I have made, is responded within a day. I have made about 50 requests this year. I do make a point of NOT asking for shows that don't exist.

Try Tivo - maybe not so sad. Be careful about posting misinformation in Tivo forums (and even accurate info if you find any). Everybody is happy there. Good luck.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 AM

I typically use Poopli this season for three shows each week just by requesting on the front page. I Poopli Sarah Connor, 30 Rock and Supernatural because my 2 Replays are not just not quite enough.

Twice last week, I had duplicates of the same show appear on my machine ready to accept because two people had tried to send at the same time. Most of my requests are answered in a couple of hours at most and frequently in just a few minutes!

Poopli is wonderful for those of us who do not have enough Replays to satify our voracious TV appetite!!

Good folks there, just like here! In fact, I see a lot of the same names.

Doug

Doug Smith

I tried keeping an open mind but every time I leaned over, something I knew fell out.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

So I see that there is a guy selling two 5040's with lifetime activation. He is asking $250 for the one that is unmodded. I think a lifetime activation is like $200 right? so is my 5040 worth $50? (it is unmodded and was on monthly service) Any takers?

-Joe
post #9 of 30 Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 PM

I just posted that the tuner in my 5080 pooped...If anyone has instructions for replacing the tuner, I'd be happy to do $50 for yours!!! Ecstatic, even
post #10 of 30 Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

OK, just let me know.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopeine View Post

So I see that there is a guy selling two 5040's with lifetime activation. He is asking $250 for the one that is unmodded. I think a lifetime activation is like $200 right? so is my 5040 worth $50? (it is unmodded and was on monthly service) Any takers?

-Joe

Lifetime is $299.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm embarrassed to say that I have FOUR (4) working ReplayTV 5040s (all modded to have 200gb or larger drives) *and* a FIFTH one in a box that has never been used (or activated) that I hold just in case one of the four should fail beyond repair. Yes, I know that RpTV is going the way of the dinosaurs, but who can live without automatic commercial advance?

Insert here some witty quote or observation.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Lifetime is $299.

Great, so my replay is worth $0. How is it that nobody has found a way to re purpose these? grr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland View Post

I'm embarrassed to say that I have FOUR (4) working ReplayTV 5040s (all modded to have 200gb or larger drives) *and* a FIFTH one in a box that has never been used (or activated) that I hold just in case one of the four should fail beyond repair. Yes, I know that RpTV is going the way of the dinosaurs, but who can live without automatic commercial advance?

So you have 4x replays with lifetime activation? That is $1,200 in activation fees alone. You must really like your Replays (I don't blame you, if I could afford it, i would keep mine.)

As for commercial advance: Comcast's DVR has a 30 sec skip that works awesome, you just program the 30 sec skip command into the remote, then when a break comes, you tap that baby 4 times or so and you are right back to the action. ( http://dcortesi.com/2005/05/04/motor...0-second-skip/ ) I love(ed) my replay, but for the some monthly fee, comcasts features outweigh the replay's.

Also, i am an avid Xbox Media Center (XBMC) user, I have 3 in the house all pulling movies/shows from a central server. It was a great feature to be able to pull shows from ReplayTV for the xboxes to stream.

Are folks holding on to their old replays in hopes that after the replayTV company discontinues ReplayTV service modders/hackers will then find a way to use the units?
post #14 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I own 5 lifetime 5000's and 2 lifetime showstoppers - all are working great and receive daily usage.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #15 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:

So you have 4x replays with lifetime activation? That is $1,200 in activation fees alone. You must really like your Replays (I don't blame you, if I could afford it, i would keep mine.)

Well... I paid for 3 out of 4, so that's $900.... still embarassing. I talked my dad into buying one, which he used for a year or so, then gave back because he replaced his Dish tuner with a Dish tuner/dvr STB.

Quote:

Also, i am an avid Xbox Media Center (XBMC) user, I have 3 in the house all pulling movies/shows from a central server. It was a great feature to be able to pull shows from ReplayTV for the xboxes to stream.

I had three modded xboxes, all running xbmc from a central file server (Buffalo Linkstation 1tb), but I replaced them all with Popcorn Hour Network Media Tank, A-100 media streamers, because they can handle much higher rates and are smaller and quieter than the xboxes.

Quote:

Are folks holding on to their old replays in hopes that after the replayTV company discontinues ReplayTV service modders/hackers will then find a way to use the units?

I suspect (based on a few cryptic comments in this and other fora) that some folks have figured out how to hack them to the point that no activation or guide service is needed, but they don't talk about it here (at least not openly).

Insert here some witty quote or observation.
post #16 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

who can live without automatic commercial advance?

I have automatic commercial advance on my Vista Media Center using the DVRMSToolbox plugin. It includes commskip which is an Open Source commercial detector.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #17 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumannu47 View Post

...Accounts at DVArchive.org are being canceled and the site admin is unreachable. Even posts here get few substantive responses. It's sad.

Are EXISTING accounts being CANCELLED? Or are just NEW account requests being IGNORED??

IME, Gerry has been "unreachable" for the past several months... [i.e. a FEW (i.e. *ALL*) unanswered PMs, over the course of a FEW months, on his forum ]

Hopefully, nothing BAD has occurred in his "Personal Life"...

But, *IF* Gerry does decide to ABANDON DVArchive, is anyone else able to MIRROR the existing forum (ala Copy of Todd Larson's Twiki) even if it's READ-ONLY? I'd hate to see all those YEARS of knowledge just "disappear"... [since Gerry previously disabled 'bots' from scanning his 'pages' into web.archive.org ]

So sad...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #18 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great, so my replay is worth $0...

Over the past few years, *MANY* ReplayTV fans have bought:
  • Lifetime 5040s NEW at RadioShack for ~$149
  • Lifetime 5516s REFURBISHED at ReplayTV for ~$180
  • Monthly 5504s REFURBISHED at ReplayTV for ~$10
...so, IMHO, your MONTHLY 5XXX is going to be a 'hard sell' UNLESS someone needs the parts to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Lifetime is $299.

Also, IMHO, 'resellable / transferable' LIFETIME is no longer worth $299 at this point in time.

Yes, I still *LOVE* my 3 LIFETIME 5XXXs and use them 24x7. But, I worry as to *WHEN* they (i.e the GUIDE) will be DISABLED...

post #19 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm embarrassed to say that I have FOUR (4) working ReplayTV 5040s (all modded to have 200gb or larger drives) *and* a FIFTH one in a box that has never been used (or activated) that I hold just in case one of the four should fail beyond repair...

And I also have a '$9.95 REFURBISHED' monthly 5504 (relatively unused / tested for 1 month) just for SPARE PARTS!

BTW: On your "200gb or larger" 5040s:
  1. What DEFAULT recording speed are you using?
  2. How many shows do you have on each 5040?
  3. Are you having any PROBLEMS? (i.e. lockups, reboots, short-shows, etc...)
  4. Do you use DVArchive and/or WiRNS?
    - If YES, which versions?
Thanks!

post #20 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM

I can't answer the original question as I have no idea what the real value of a 5040 is. I can however chime in to say that I'm still happy as a clam with my 4 year old 5040 and can't imagine life without it.

I surmise that the various forums seem dead because Replays users pretty much have figured out how to use their units and the various software hacks, and there are no new Replay users to speak of. Every now and then I still run into problems, but can usually find a solution through a search.

I did finally buy a Vista PC which runs Vista Media Center. Compared to the features that my Replay offers, Media Center isn't bad, but it's nowhere near what I'm used to. Worse yet, I have not been able to make a single plug-in work on my Media Center, which makes the software even more underwhelming.

The searches are awful, which is what I like BEST about Replay. With Replay I love how it lets me track down some of the most obscure shows and movies. I can't imagine how I would find these shows otherwise.

I know that I will eventually have to find a replacement for my Replay, but I will be hanging on to it until the very bitter end of its usefulness. I have been contemplating what I might try as my next DVR, which is why I went and got the Vista machine, but I haven't come across anything as good as Replay yet.

ChicagoScapers: We Bring The Delirium
post #21 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM

ReplayTV isn't dead...I only check in on here every few months, but I can always search and find a solution if I run into a problem. I currently have two units in service and third in a box that will be in service soon. They are all networked and hooked up to digital (HD) tuners for recording source. I may eventually go HD DVR, but Automatic Commercial Skip and the HD source are a very usable combination.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OK, I had to replace a 160 GB Hitachi IDE drive that has shown signs of failure in way of recording new shows after 6+ years of service. Existing shows -- OK. New shows -- maybe. Live TV -- maybe. I want to say there is a mucked sector in the mpeg partition that cause the unit to halt and reboot when the unit tries to write to it.

In a nutshell, I can watch all the recorded content on this unit's drive, but am wary on having it record anything. So, I pulled the drive and replaced it with a 250 GB Seagate 7200.3 drive. Finished that procedure last night. All is well.

What I really want to do is make use of an unsubbed 5040 I have sitting around. I know that it won't do anything except stream shows, but that is fine. I want to put the 160 GB soon-to-die drive in the unsubbed RTV and use DVA to pull shows off. I know swapping drives has no effect on subscriptions, but I wonder if the non-numbers matching issue will even take away the un-streaming capability.

So, has anyone ever put a drive into an unsubbed RTV, and just left it headless as a server?

(I know I can use RTVextract... I can also probably put the drive back in the LT box and extract all the content I want... But I am looking for another solution, and put an unused box to work.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
-Doug
post #23 of 30 Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't done it myself, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. I'm thinking that you could do something simple, like when you first boot it go into the network settings and set the gateway to something else so that it can't even net connect. However, even if you do let it net connect, I don't think that anything bad would happen. I suspect that it will decide that it's not subscribed right away because the serial number will change and all of the signature checks will fail, rendering it unsubscribed...

Just a point, using extract_rtv5 would get you to the same point as using DVA to download your shows and would be a whole, whole bunch faster. Even better, extract_rtv5 leaves your shows in their original channels and in their original categories, so they look more in DVA as you see them on your RTV itself...

Henry
post #24 of 30 Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

So, has anyone ever put a drive into an unsubbed RTV, and just left it headless as a server?

I used to do just that. It was basically an old expired monthly unit I put a drive from my subbed unit into (it was 75% full).

Worked fine in DVA and as a video server only type unit.

O==wrench==C
--------------------

post #25 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Just a point, using extract_rtv5 would get you to the same point as using DVA to download your shows and would be a whole, whole bunch faster. Even better, extract_rtv5 leaves your shows in their original channels and in their original categories, so they look more in DVA as you see them on your RTV itself...

Henry

I used extract_rtv5 last night. It was effortless. I was just unsure if I had enough space on the PC to store all the shows. All is well.

The only difference I noticed when I launched DVA, was that it put the whole bucket of shows into an "Extracted Shows" channel.....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #26 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

The only difference I noticed when I launched DVA, was that it put the whole bucket of shows into an "Extracted Shows" channel.....

That's 'cause when you created the XML files, you used the -dx option instead of the -dsx option. The -dx option doesn't have the extra information about the shows, so it has to lump them all together in one channel. However, if you use the -dsx option, that has access to the extra information to retain the show categories and channels...

So, if you want to, you could just run extract_rtv5 again with the -dsx to regenerate the XML files with the correct channel information...

Henry
post #27 of 30 Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

That's 'cause when you created the XML files, you used the -dx option instead of the -dsx option. The -dx option doesn't have the extra information about the shows, so it has to lump them all together in one channel. However, if you use the -dsx option, that has access to the extra information to retain the show categories and channels...

So, if you want to, you could just run extract_rtv5 again with the -dsx to regenerate the XML files with the correct channel information...

Henry

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
post #28 of 30 Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 AM

I haven't used my unit in years, but had personal videos I wanted to take off hard drive. The idea was to just get external cases, pull hard drives and throw box away. Never got around to it, and it just sat in storage.

Until I came across a Replaytv option on Xmbc after I jail broke apple tv 2.

Googled replaytv xbmc and I was so out of loop, never knew Replaytv shut down. learned you can stream content from Replaytv to Xbmc on apple tv 2.

But even better, learned about Winrns. The Free software that brought back to life channel guides and recordings, etc.

So now box is alive again years after it was forgotten and is being used to record shows, and as a streaming video source.
post #29 of 30 Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oili666 View Post

Until I came across a Replaytv option on Xmbc after I jail broke apple tv 2.

Googled replaytv xbmc and I was so out of loop, never knew Replaytv shut down. learned you can stream content from Replaytv to Xbmc on apple tv 2.

LOL. I use XMBC on my (jailbroke) appletv everyday for years, I didn't even know it had a replaytv plugin. Thanks!
post #30 of 30 Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Xmbc?
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page