post #91 of 198 Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcareavs View Post

I'm not sure the RTV's legs are long enough at this point to pursue that. Besides, I thought the filesize or some other part of the file's directory entry was XOR'ed or ciphered against some unknown.

I'm not asking you to pursue it. He already wrote the code and all he has to do is check it into the SourceForge repository. I don't know how much work it was for him, but he's already completed it. I suggested you could encourage him to check in the code...

Quote:

Even if solved how much more mileage could that really give our Replays? (With the notable exception of 2K/3K owners.) A horrendous workaround might be to replace some other file of sufficient size in another directory and then very carefully use a hexeditor to move that file's entry into the desired target directory cluster (space permitting), but I still don't know if all the magic values would properly align to the Replay's satisfaction.

The value is, as you know, you have to overwrite an existing file with a same size or smaller file. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to create new RID files without having to overwrite an existing one?

Also, this would make it possible to put shows back on a RTV hard drive either from replacing the hard drive, accidentally erasing all your shows, or just wanting to put a show on your RTV hard drive...

So, since the code is already done, it seems like that it could be fairly worthwhile. Especially in light of having to add so many remote codes for different converter boxes!

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I sent a grovel-gram to him through Sourceforge's webpage, but he probably won't be able to respond directly to me by email because Sourceforge's email redirector doesn't like my Gmail account. I get emails from the webpage, but not directly through my Sourceforge email alias from other email clients.

We'll see.

-eslave
post #93 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh wow, I am totally clueless about OBJ installation on 2K/3K. I thought the install technique somehow tricked the machine in to sucking down a new file from any old URL.

Since this thread just popped up with activity, it looks to have a bit of the explanation on how to load new IR blaster codes into the ShowStopper. I can't completely follow it, like how it can download a file from "any old URL" since it is a dial up system? That is, if you tell it to download a file from a URL, does it dial out right there on the spot or does it rememeber it until the next net connect?

Anyway, I read through the thread and still don't know exactly how you get it all working, but I thought I would reference it here for the benefit of others reading this thread. In addition, Sean Riddle's ReplayTV Shell page is archived here...

Henry
post #94 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 01:17 PM

What are the chances that we can get ReplayTV to "push" these new codes out?

I have a Mac, and I can have uploaded the RID file to a photo section on my ReplayTV. But darn it, I can figure out after reading through these gazillion posts on this thread on how to install that file using a Mac!
post #95 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

The "download" method seemed like a real nightmare...I added codes by pulling the drive and hooking it up to a PC. Then I used extract_rtv5 to replace one of the codes that were already in there with the new one. All things considered, I think it's easier than the shell method.
post #96 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdbb1 View Post

The "download" method seemed like a real nightmare...I added codes by pulling the drive and hooking it up to a PC. Then I used extract_rtv5 to replace one of the codes that were already in there with the new one. All things considered, I think it's easier than the shell method.

And, that method can be performed on a Mac just as well as Windows...

Henry
post #97 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

And, that method can be performed on a Mac just as well as Windows...

Henry

Ahh, didn't know extract_rtv5 worked on Mac as well....can the Shell method NOT be used on a mac?

By the way, have you ever gotten anywhere with the dial-up method? I messed with it a little bit but could never quite get it working. I suppose that could be an easier way of loading the codes....
post #98 of 198 Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh, didn't know extract_rtv5 worked on Mac as well....can the Shell method NOT be used on a mac?

You only needed to go back one page to see this post about using a Mac. It also has some explanation of trying to use the Shell method on a Mac. If you wanted to download the RNS proxy Perl scripts, you might be able to get that working on a Mac...

Quote:

By the way, have you ever gotten anywhere with the dial-up method? I messed with it a little bit but could never quite get it working. I suppose that could be an easier way of loading the codes....

Me? I don't have a ShowStopper! But, I've been hoping to get one donated to me or pick one up cheap to be able to play with it. I already have a line simulator and a dial up connection all waiting to run it!

I would assume if you could get the SS working networked through the dial-up connection that you could use WiRNS as indicated for the 4xxx/5xxx ReplayTVs. Although, I don't think that you couldn't use the same method to put the OBJ file on the SS, you'd still have to get the file on there somehow. I have to assume that the SS doesn't have a photo partition, so I don't know where you'd even put the OBJ file on the SS externally. I don't know if you could use the Shell command to have the SS download the OBJ file from an external link. If I ever get an SS for myself, then I would have some idea of what is possible...

Henry
post #99 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM

If VMWare scares people there's always VirtualBox, or even qemu (for the brave of heart). Having years of network experience I wouldn't mind wasting an afternoon trying to get a Showstopper proxied through my PC (modem 'dial-in' or direct serial hack). That is, if I owned a Showstopper, which I don't.

I was reluctant to mention this before I took the time to check a Showstopper image with extract_rtv5, but I think the StartupScript could prove a promising avenue of attack. It appears that the older models don't require a signature file for every script and executable binary worth attacking (the way RTV5K's do).
I obtained this information by using extract_rtv on the image file itself:
Quote:

extract_rtv5.exe "Showstopper&Replay30xximage3.02.rtv" -p1 -lv >3K_files.txt
(decide which files look interesting)
extract_rtv5.exe "Showstopper&Replay30xximage3.02.rtv" -p1 -e ./sys1/etc
(copy files into another folder for examination)
extract_rtv5.exe "Showstopper&Replay30xximage3.02.rtv" -p1 -e ./sys2/etc
(copy files into another folder for examination)

I strongly advise against testing these ideas unless your Showstopper's HDD is completely backed-up (or you've already extracted all the shows you want to keep) and you have confidence in your ability to successfully re-image your HDD. If you'd rather have a working box than a door-stop then STOP NOW!

Still here? OK. This will require removing the HDD and rebooting your Showstopper TWO TIMES. The plan is to replace some useless commands or comments in ALL of the factory StartupScript files (I have no idea which one will be executed on boot) with commands of your own, while maintaining (or reducing?) the total filesize of each file (and using the DOS-style CR-LF convention (0x0D0A)). Then use extract_rtv to install (overwrite) our substitute StartupScript files onto the originals. Put the HDD back into your Showstopper and let it boot (which may be slower than usual not entirely successful). After waiting a reasonable length of time (you would know better than I, but I'm guessing 5-10 minutes max) unplug the Showstopper. Finally, remove the HDD and put it back into your computer. Replace ALL the StartupScript files with their originals. The results of your modified commands (like 'copy') in the StartupScript files should be apparent with a quick extract_rtv listing.

.../sys2/etc/StartupScript.Sutter3 (the useless green text is 394 bytes!):
Code:
;PTV/ShellScript
; watchdog must be the very first thing to start (duh!)
watchdog.task 60 3
;assert on
;
fstore disk-available
;
; cd to the active system directory and execute the one-shot
; startup script.  This must happen before the main startup
; script to insure that any disk/file reorg happens before
; things in the startup script go looking for them.
; The one-shot script should delete itself.
-cdsys
-script etc/StartupScriptOnce
-cd /
;
; continue with the main startup script
echo "SHELL: EXECUTING StartupScript"
;fsr -f 
;fsr -x
romupdate
fpgaupdate
-cdsys
-fstore update 0x42534352 os/rom/bootscreen.bmp
-cd /
mdir -i
errors.dll
tuner.dev
videosrc.dll
vbi.dev
mpegparse.dll
mpegdecoder.dev
CIO.task
standby init
SysLog.task
irrx.task
fp.task
irblaster.dev
AppShell.task
mpegaudioencoder.dev
mpegvideoencoder.dev
rtcsinit
breakifdebug
AppShell init
AppShell LoadStandardApps
echo "Welcome to ReplayTV"
The long comment alone is 272 bytes, more than enough to do some useful things. After removing enough useless text from each file you can add some lines of your own at the end. (You can put your commands anywhere, but I think your best chance is either at the very end or near the beginning. I'm thinking that because this is a TEXT file the entire reported filesize will be read into memory for execution. You may want to pad the end of your modified scripts with spaces and carriage returns to fluff it up to the original size otherwise duplicate, incomplete, and/or corrupted commands at the end of the original file may be executed.) Henry, does extract_rtv nullify the target file's remaining contents when overwriting with a smaller file?

Maybe try something like this (219 bytes):
Code:
cdsys
cp -f Customize/credits.txt OS/IRBlaster/C1982.OBJ
cp -f Customize/credits.txt OS/IRBlaster/C2000.OBJ
cp -f Customize/credits.txt OS/IRBlaster/S2000.OBJ
cp -f Setup/p-ir-blaster.panel OS/IRBlaster/IRBTable.txt
ptvio on
(Supposedly you can add a dash or hyphen ("-") at the beginning of each line to prevent errors from causing the script to terminate prematurely. The -f option may not be acceptable in the older shell.)

Explanations:
Quote:

go to current system directory (whichever system booted, the previous version is there as a backup)
copy a 325 byte file as a bogus C1982.OBJ
copy a 325 byte file as a bogus C2000.OBJ
copy a 325 byte file as a bogus S2000.OBJ
replace IRBTable.txt with a 2297 byte file (use extract_rtv to replace it with the original or your modified one)
turn ptvio on (I am still uncertain if 2K/3K's actually have this ability)

Now you have the option of using PTVIO in the future (are 2K/3K's capable of this?), 3 more 325-byte OBJ files (bigger than any factory OBJ) in your IRBlaster directory for future growth, and a 2297 byte IRBTable.txt to accommodate any possible future changes (especially after removing the comments).

If this works then you can replace one of the bogus files with the new DC50X OBJ, and add lots of code entries to the IRTable.txt if needed. Happy testing.

-eslave

post #100 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 AM

eslave,

Very interesting.....the only thing is I have no idea if the limit on the 'size' of the protocol is the actual file size of the OBJ file or some kind of hardware limitation. However I will try to test this out....I suppose that when this is all finished, I could test by using extract_rtv to extract one of the replaced OBJ files, and the contents should be like the credits.txt it was replaced with...
post #101 of 198 Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Mike, I think the limitation Henry was referring to is extract_rtv's file over-writing abilities (cannot increase filesize due to black-magic in the file's directory entry). There may very well be another software or hardware bottleneck surrounding the S3C80 (or compatible) IR chip - I couldn't say for sure.

Yes, if you test copy the bogus files to your PC the contents should be identical to their arbitrary source. FYI, my script changes didn't actually replace any factory OBJ files, new files were created (something extract_rtv cannot do) in the IRBlaster directory. You still need to fill those bogus files with some meaningful content (and add them to IRBTable.txt). (Of course OBJ replacement alone would be easier if you don't want to muck with IRBTable.txt, but there's still a question about the format string.)

Also, I found some more factory OBJ files in another directory:
Quote:

05/16/2001 17:48 116 ./user/mirror/system/data/S1076.OBJ
05/16/2001 17:48 84 ./user/mirror/system/data/C0476.OBJ
05/16/2001 17:48 23 ./user/mirror/system/data/C0770.OBJ
05/16/2001 17:48 97 ./user/mirror/system/data/C0764.OBJ
05/16/2001 17:48 1882 ./user/mirror/system/data/IRBTable.txt

(I don't know if these ever show-up in a list somewhere, or if they were accidentally misplaced. Maybe they didn't work, are duplicates, are from a older version DVR, or a newer 'test' version.)

I've updated my OBJ file with the smallest version I can produce while preserving all the 'Protocol Parameters', but its still larger than Rob's.

Ideally, modifying the StartupScript files should initially get 2K/3K users over the filesize/creation limitations of extract_rtv. I never said it would be pretty. Though, after that I would probably use PTVIO to do any work.
edit: It looks like some 3K users have known about this for years. See the last paragraph here - posted Fri Jan 18 02:28:20 2002 UTC (7 years, 7 months ago). I'm guessing .../sys1/etc/StartupScript.Sutter3 is the script to target.

Quote:

...how it can download a file from "any old URL" since it is a dial up system? That is, if you tell it to download a file from a URL, does it dial out right there on the spot or does it remember it until the next net connect?

Henry, I have a feeling that httpget/httppost were intended for the sole use of the mothership (at the end of guide updates). If so your Showstopper would already be connected. It would be awfully clever of the box to remember a download for later. I also doubt a dial-up connection could be established fast enough to satisfy any potential watchdogs or timeouts. So executing the command any time you feel like it may not work. Oh, wait! FlipFlop has already explained this: (Johnny-on-the-spot I am not.)
Quote:

You need to enable the shell console on the serial port ( http://members.cox.net/seanriddle/replayshell.html ), then use the shell to force a network connection ('connect' / 'disconnect' commands) and use the 'httpget' command to get the file. Once you have a shell you can also move files around and/or manually edit text files as needed.

(At least now I know where I got the idea that 2K/3K's also have PTVIO capability. I was beginning to feel confused.)

-eslave
post #102 of 198 Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To use the C2009fi.rid file (as is), do I also need to install the ircodes and ircodesRaw file? I'm a little confused if all three are needed or only the rid file if you build one by hand using the tools mentioned in the ReadME. I'm using the 237 rid file now and it works well. Thank you so much!

Also, can I run a cable directly from the IR blaster port on the Replay directly into the Blaster in port on the pace box? I'm thinking not but...

The other thing I noticed is that I get the nice blue no signal screen before each channel change. Is that normal?
post #103 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 AM

Ghoul,

I can't speak for your first questions, but regarding the blue screen before channel change...I noticed the same thing the last time I had to change blaster codes when I got a new box. I fixed it by hitting Zones while at the IR blaster code selection screen, which brings up a fine tuning menu. I don't remember which it was exactly, and am not at home right now to look, but you can adjust the delay between sending signals, which fixed it for me.
post #104 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoul View Post

Also, can I run a cable directly from the IR blaster port on the Replay directly into the Blaster in port on the pace box? I'm thinking not but...

Most likely that port is also an IR Blaster output for the Pace box to control an external VCR. Most Pace boxes have VCR outputs and then the blaster port is to control the VCR...

I know when I looked at the instructions for my pace box, it almost read like that was some kind of input, so I tried hooking it up directly to the Replay to no avail. But, when I read the part about controlling an external VCR, it became clear that it's an output port...

Henry
post #105 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I poked around in there but nothing I did made a difference. I changed it to force three digits and no return. The odd thing is the way it is behaving is that its as if the replay turns off the RF input then turns it back on. I would think I would see some of the previous channel before the new one is buffered as the DTA does not ever not put out a signal. It is tolerable this way but I didn't see anyone else complain about this so I wondered if there was another step I missed.

This is a 5040 unit.

According to this: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sup....asp?docID=223

It is the Response Delay I want to play with. I tried a lot of combinations, even 9999 which should be almost 10 seconds but I still see it. I have a few other 5040s I need to patch with this so maybe this one is a bit corrupted.
post #106 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The IR on on the pace box is surely for an input if you want to hide the box behind the tv or something, there is an illustration to that effect as well.
post #107 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The IR on on the pace box is surely for an input if you want to hide the box behind the tv or something, there is an illustration to that effect as well.

That's what I thought on mine as well, according to the instructions. But, it just wasn't so. Does yours have the ability to setup VCR recordings? If so, that's probably what it is really for...

Henry
post #108 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's what I thought on mine as well, according to the instructions. But, it just wasn't so. Does yours have the ability to setup VCR recordings? If so, that's probably what it is really for...

Henry

The DC50X doesn't have VCR capabilities.. The remote controls the TV power/volume and the DC50X. The sensor is for extension of the IR receiver as I've used it like that before.

Granted, I would have hoped Comcast has a DTA that could control the VCR but I don't recall ever seeing one in real life. The VCR usually controls the cable box, not the other way round
post #109 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Granted, I would have hoped Comcast has a DTA that could control the VCR but I don't recall ever seeing one in real life. The VCR usually controls the cable box, not the other way round

Well, all the different STBs that we have available for Time Warner Cable in San Antonio (Pace and Scientific Atlanta) have composite outputs for running a VCR and when you go into the channel guide you can select a show for recording, which locks the STB to be powered on and tuned to that station for the duration of that show's airing. In addition, if you program the STB for the brand of VCR connected, it will control the VCR to record. They have several different models of STBs, some for SD and some for HD, and they all have this capability...

Henry
post #110 of 198 Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Ghoul, sorry for the delay. I've been re-arranging partitions and testing other OS's on my primary machine.

Only C0237 is 'stand-alone' as it replaces a factory code (already in the list). If you're using C2009 then you DO need to install the other 2 files ('ircodes' and 'ircodesRaw') into the irbdata folder. Did you find a way to select cable code 2009 without them? You can use FlipFlop's original instructions if you like.

The 'blackout' period, or "blue screen", you mentioned is a known RTV quirk.
Quote:

Response Delay: (milliseconds)
This determines how long the ReplayTV will wait before acknowledging that a successful channel change has occurred Changing this response can prevent the "No Video Signal" blue screen from appearing on some cable boxes and satellite receivers.

I can remember setting this on a friends 4K once, but I think it just increased the lag-time before returning to video (on the s-video input #2). I can vaguely recall reading somewhere (when my RTV was new) that some people complained there was a upper-limit on some delays, but I don't remember what those limits may have been. 9999 sounds a little high.

BTW, my fine-tuning settings (which I never set myself) are:

Send Enter: Yes
Min Digits: 1
Inter-Action Delay: 200
Response Delay: 0

(I get the blue screen too. It doesn't bother me.)
Pre-Command Delay: 0
Inter-Command Delay: 200
My home-made IR-blaster has been taped to the DTA's ir-receiver window without issue for over 2 months now. Ok, it misses about 3 to 5 channel changes a week, but that's about as often as the DTA locks-up on me anyway.

Months ago I found some info about programming the DTA's remote and locking the volume control to your TV or DTA.

-eslave
post #111 of 198 Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidrj View Post

I have a Mac, and I can have uploaded the RID file to a photo section on my ReplayTV. But darn it, I can figure out after reading through these gazillion posts on this thread on how to install that file using a Mac!

Do you have Parallels? I just went through this.

I used the linux-cd-image-2.5.5d.iso (referenced in this thread) and modified it by adding the C0237fi.rid file into the RID-Install directory on that iso then changed the shellcmds file to what is copied below. I also put the C0237fi.rid file in the photo/install directory on the replay that I created though DVArchive. It also appeared the linux boot CD copied the C0237fi.rid files directly itself. (To modify the ISO I used MagicISO in Windows running in Parallels)

After that be sure you have a DHCP server running on your network. The set Parallels to boot the CD with networking set to bridged mode for whichever network adapter you are using on your Mac (Airport or Ethernet) so that the Linux boot will get a local address on the network.

When the boot processes tells you what IP address to use in the replaytv just go change the replaytv network settings to set the two DNS addresses to the IP address the linux boot gave you. After you do that and are back to live TV just do 243-Zones to Net Connect. After it completes you should have a CPU meter and clock up on screen which you can toggle in that menu. Reboot the replay and the new codes should work.

I also set the shellcmds file to hopefully get the serial port working for control if needed but I haven't tested that yet.

On my Intel mac I tried booting the Linux CD directly through the startup disc and it does in fact boot but it doesn't have drivers for the actual network adapter in my Mac.

Thanks to all in this thread!

Shawn

shellcmds:

AppShell ToggleClock
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C0237fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C0237fi.rid
cdsys modules
load HWDebug.out
IRMTS
ptvio on
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter
post #112 of 198 Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for all the information in here. It's great to know that the ReplayTV community still has much moxie
I have a RTV 5040 and am attempting to get the C0237fi.rid file to replace the existing Pace code. Still no luck though. So, a couple of questions from someone attempting this for the first time -

1. I copied the file over to the RTV using DVArchive (to an "install" folder under the Photos). I have WiRNS working (I know this from seeing the log when the RTV connects). My approach is to add the following line to my shellcmds file and force the ReplayTV to connect.

cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C0237fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C0237fi.rid

Is this correct?
How can I tell if the file has been replaced?

2. I am not using the method suggested by sfogg, however I am curious as to the purpose of the other commands in his script

Quote:

AppShell ToggleClock
cdsys modules
load HWDebug.out
IRMTS
ptvio on
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter

I understand the copy command. What are the other lines doing? Do I need them?

Another related question - I am setting the Pace box up as a "analog cable box" in RTV. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help in advance!
post #113 of 198 Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillako View Post

Another related question - I am setting the Pace box up as a "analog cable box" in RTV. Is this correct?

It's correct if you want to record using the RF output of the Pace box going into the Antennae input of the RTV using channel 3 or 4 (analog) which probably means that you won't record stereo audio. If you are using the composite or S-Video inputs, then you want to use "digital cable box" to get stereo audio recording and better quality video recording...

Henry
post #114 of 198 Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks, I am using the RF output.

Quote:

It's correct if you want to record using the RF output of the Pace box going into the Antennae input of the RTV using channel 3 or 4 (analog) which probably means that you won't record stereo audio. If you are using the composite or S-Video inputs, then you want to use "digital cable box" to get stereo audio recording and better quality video recording...

Henry

post #115 of 198 Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

"2. I am not using the method suggested by sfogg, however I am curious as to the purpose of the other commands in his script "

The first and last lines just turn on a clock and CPU meter overlay to give feedback that the script has run. If you see them your script has run, if not it hasn't. The other lines enable the second serial port which can also be used to control the ReplayTV.

When you setup the PACE box you want to set it as a digital cable box so you get the correct channel lineup. If your replaytv is already set to use 0237 after you do the net connect try booting the replaytv to get it active.

Shawn
post #116 of 198 Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks Shawn. I added the lines for the clock and cpu meter overlay and got confirmation that the script did indeed execute. The blaster didn't appear to work yet, however a restart of the RTV has gotten it to work.
Thanks for the help all, happy to have my RTV functioning again!
post #117 of 198 Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillako View Post

I have a RTV 5040 and am attempting to get the C0237fi.rid file to replace the existing Pace code. Still no luck though. So, a couple of questions from someone attempting this for the first time -

1. I copied the file over to the RTV using DVArchive (to an "install" folder under the Photos). I have WiRNS working (I know this from seeing the log when the RTV connects). My approach is to add the following line to my shellcmds file and force the ReplayTV to connect.

Is this correct?
How can I tell if the file has been replaced?

I just went through this process last night. Successfully, I might add, after I realized that I had to reboot my ReplayTV 5040 in order to get the IR Blaster to work properly.

I did this to verify the load. In WiRNS shellcmds:

cp -f /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C0237fi.rid /name/storage/Photo/install/LOADED.rid

When I saw the LOADED.rid file show up in my Photo/Install directory via DVArchive, I knew the shellcmds had worked! I also saw the shellcmds line in the WiRNS log file, but that didn't prove anything to me...

I set my Pace DC50X up as Comcast Digital. The first real test is when I get home tonight ... hopefully my recordings worked. I duplicated them on my Comcast DVR (Motorola DCH3416, I think) just in case...

-Rich Steiner (rsteiner@visi.com)
OS/2, Linux, and ReplayTV user in Mableton, GA USA
post #118 of 198 Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want to let everyone know that WiRNS has the same capability to upload/download/view the Photo directory as DVArchive. I don't know if it didn't have the capability back when these instructions were first written. But, if you're going to use WiRNS to execute the shell commands, then you might as well use WiRNS to upload the files to the Photo directory, too. Seems kind of silly to have to go through two different applications in order to update the files...

Henry
post #119 of 198 Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I just want to let everyone know that WiRNS has the same capability to upload/download/view the Photo directory as DVArchive. I don't know if it didn't have the capability back when these instructions were first written. But, if you're going to use WiRNS to execute the shell commands, then you might as well use WiRNS to upload the files to the Photo directory, too. Seems kind of silly to have to go through two different applications in order to update the files...

Henry

I did things in the following order:

(1) Installed DVArchive on several boxes over a year ago.
(2) Read about Comcast's Digital Adapters in this forum.
(3) Was mailed a DC50X by Comcast.
(4) Read the DC50X instructions here.
(5) Used an existing DVARchive to transfer the file to my ReplayTV.
(6) Installed WiRNS, not knowing much about it.
(7) Discovered that it, too, would perform the copy. But it was done.

I should take the time at this point to thank all of the people responsible for the wonderful software and other resources that ReplayTV owners can take advantage of. DVArchive, WiRNS, Poopli, the 0237 .rid file, everything, is absolutely WONDERFUL, and those things really do help to keep the wonderful ReplayTV hardware alive.

Thank you everyone!

-Rich Steiner (rsteiner@visi.com)
OS/2, Linux, and ReplayTV user in Mableton, GA USA
post #120 of 198 Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That's fine. My only point was that you can't do much with the file by just copying it on the machine (unless you're running the serial PTVIO). So, if you're going to have to install WiRNS to get the file into the system partition, then you might as well use WiRNS to copy the file. I just don't want anyone who's attempting this for the first time to think that they need to install DVArchive as well as WiRNS. It's a lot just to get WiRNS installed, so once it's working you might as well use it to copy the file to the Photo partition...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page