post #181 of 198 Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post

Roger, I'll give that a try... though would a "successful" test exclude the possibility that the boxes are just faking stereo by throwing their mono interpretation onto both the left and right channels? I'd need some program with distinct audio on the left and right channels to be certain, no?

If you say so...

Since it is a digital cable converter box, and they went to the trouble to actually modulate a stereo audio signal, what would be the point of faking the stereo audio? A stereo modulator requires both left and right audio inputs, which would clearly be available in the digital reception. The modulator doesn't care how the audio is generated, just that it modulates the audio in the stereo format. So, if your TV said that the cable box was providing stereo RF output, the amount of expense that it takes for the modulator in the cable box to generate stereo RF audio, it would be really rediculous that it faked the stereo audio rather than using the actual stereo audio provided in the digital cable signal...

First, it is extremely unlikely that your TV will indicate that your cable box is generating stereo auto signal of any kind. However, if it does indicate that the audio is stereo, then I guess finding something with good sound separation would prove that you were receiving the actual stereo audio versus some kind of manufactured stereo audio...

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

If you say so...

Quote:
First, it is extremely unlikely that your TV will indicate that your cable box is generating stereo auto signal of any kind. However, if it does indicate that the audio is stereo, ...

It does.

Quote:
... then I guess finding something with good sound separation would prove that you were receiving the actual stereo audio versus some kind of manufactured stereo audio...

That is all I was asking... in order to be certain... putting aside speculation. Unfortunately, using the audio balance controls of my TV, I was unable to find any programs that demonstrated any distinct audio when isolating the left and right channels.
post #183 of 198 Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

...Unfortunately, using the audio balance controls of my TV, I was unable to find any programs that demonstrated any distinct audio when isolating the left and right channels.

Try listening (switch back-and-forth between a MONO channel and a STEREO channel) through a set of headphones.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #184 of 198 Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is all I was asking... in order to be certain... putting aside speculation. Unfortunately, using the audio balance controls of my TV, I was unable to find any programs that demonstrated any distinct audio when isolating the left and right channels.

I guess if you REALLY want to be certain. However, since the digital decoder already provides stereo audio, it doesn't make any sense to me that they would spend any extra money to generate simulated stereo audio. It is surprising enough that the RF output would generate stereo audio in the first place. Given that the audio source is actually stereo in the first place, why would you combine that into mono and then generate simulated stereo? That is, the stereo audio signal is free, it takes extra parts and expense to generate simulated stereo as was common back in the 80's. However, if you really, really want to be sure, you'd have to find a good channel source. You'd need to connect it to your TV using composite and check the audio, and then connect it your TV using RF and check the audio...

Henry
post #185 of 198 Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

What I meant was devices which have modulators within them. You can certainly purchase stereo modulators now a days, but they are quite a bit more expensive than non-stereo modulators. I orginally purchased a stereo modulator a few years ago from Radio Shack, but I have picked up some lately from Big Lots. So, if you only want a modulator, then you can certainly find ones that modulate stereo audio. However, when it comes to "box" devices which output modulated RF on channel 3 or 4, I have never seen anything that outputs stereo audio, so I would say that it must be extremely rare...

Henry

FYI, checked last night... My CM-7000 D2A CECB Box only puts out mono sound via RF Ch 3 or 4... I can get stereo sound only if I use RCA cables.
post #186 of 198 Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

FYI, checked last night... My CM-7000 D2A CECB Box only puts out mono sound via RF Ch 3 or 4... I can get stereo sound only if I use RCA cables.

That's certainly the most common case for "boxes" that output both RF AND composite. In that case, they can reasonably assume that if your TV is stereo capable, that you will use the composite connections. Versus, that your TV is very old and there's no point in modulating stereo on the RF output. Or, you can still connect the stereo audio outputs to a stereo amplifier to listen to stereo audio even with an old TV...

However, for a "box" that has RF only, then there certainly can be a case made for possibly modulating stereo audio RF. But, it still comes down to the reason for having this RF-only "box". If it is a low end model and there are higher end models available which have stereo composite or whatever outputs, then you'd think that the low end model would be made as inexpensively as possible and not modulate stereo. Especially if this RF-only "box" is marketed as having reduced features...

Henry
post #187 of 198 Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankme View Post

So now for the questions:

How many volts should an ir blaster need to "light up"?
Any suggestions on getting a replacement ir blaster cable or how to build one? I'm sure that after a little googling I'll probably find some info/cable.

I'm assuming that the ir blaster cable is using ir diodes and that these diodes do in fact behave like leds/diodes. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks!

CrankMe

I have the SmartHome emitter working with my Comcast Motorola box on a RTV5000 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Now I just have to get my other ReplayTV with new SmartHome emitter to work with the d#$% Pace DTA they gave me for the other room.
post #188 of 198 Old 10-23-2010, 05:12 PM

I've never played with a SmartHome emitter, but File#2 in my original post contains some instructions for making your own emitter.

I've seen complaints about poor IR reception and posts by some people resorting to a direct connection ("Grey's/Gray's Cable"). My 'high-output' Radio-Shack LED is attached with blue masking tape directly to the face of my DTA box, albeit pointing 90 degrees away from the IR detector window which very likely reduces the effective IR output to considerably less than 50% of its optimum capability, but it works for me. Every 6 months or so I need to spend about 3 to 5 minutes fiddling with it (or whenever I accidentally bump the emitter when unplugging my locked-up DTA). I'll sit right in front of my RTV hitting the CH+/CH- buttons on the RTV remote while continuously adjusting the emitter position until I get solid performance. The channel changes were flawless for over 4 months until about 2 months ago. My setup currently misses perhaps two or three channel changes a month (recording channel 10 instead of 160, etc), but I'm still not concerned enough to play with it again just yet. Some of those misses may even be do to my own IR interference (channel-surfing on the main TV or other RTV on the hour or half-hour, exactly when my RTV is trying to change channels). All of my equipment is setup in the same corner of the family room so there's a lot going on sometimes.

You may want to experiment with different angles or distances to see what works, and you can use almost any CCD device (digital camera, camcorder, webcam or cell-phone camera) to see if the IR emitter is even functioning (blinking) at all.

-eslave
post #189 of 198 Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Why is no one putting step by step information showing how to set up Comcast's STBs model # RNG-100 and DC50Xu to work with a ReplayTV RTV4500? They both use the same codes. There are many articles, but no step by step instructions. I am totally confused. Do you do it on the HD in your PC? Do you remove the HD from the Replay TV? Is it done in DV Archive? I don't know how to create a photo partition from DV Archive nor what to put in it when it is created.
Please help.
Thanks,
John
post #190 of 198 Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post

Why is no one putting step by step information showing how to set up Comcast's STBs model # RNG-100 and DC50Xu to work with a ReplayTV RTV4500? They both use the same codes. There are many articles, but no step by step instructions. I am totally confused. Do you do it on the HD in your PC? Do you remove the HD from the Replay TV? Is it done in DV Archive? I don't know how to create a photo partition from DV Archive nor what to put in it when it is created.
Please help.
Thanks,
John

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=267352

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13422417

Knock yourself out.
post #191 of 198 Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post

Please help.

In addition, I don't know why you would say that when you obviously did not read the entire thread (I know it's very long) and there are several people who posted more detailed step-by-step instructions! I even have a post somewhere where I linked many of the more detailed instructions together. You're going to have to search better and read more first before making such a ridiculous claim that no one is posting step-by-step information!

Henry

*UPDATE* I did you a favor and searched for my post where I linked more detailed instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18988008...
post #192 of 198 Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hdonzis, I'm glad you posted that link because I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I have a RNG 150, so I sure wouldn't search for a RNG 110. Although I set up wirns and received my gary cable, I never read what specific cable box name and code number anyone used to control a Scientific Atlanta Rng 150 box with a replaytv 5500 series. Hopefully I can move forward with this project soon.
post #193 of 198 Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Not sure if this helps anyone,

But I just picked up an RCA RCRP05B universal remote. None of the codes worked nor did searching. I check many forums and finally came up with a tip from someone who used the code 1982 for his silver comcast remote. I tried this an success.

Code 1982 worked for my RCA universal vs. the DC50X
post #194 of 198 Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM

The ReplayTV 5000 series works easily with the Comcast DTA-- with two caveats.

To use a Replay TV 5000 series with a Comcast DTA you need to:

1. Get a Motorola-branded DTA from Comcast. The model number is model DTA100/2305/000

2. Obtain on eBay a "Tivo to Comcast DTA" cable from Gary Gray. He markets it as a TiVo cable but it works perfectly with a Replay TV-- at least the 5000 series. His eBay user name is g-gray. Just search for him and you'll find the cable. Make sure you get the "TiVo to Comcast DTA Cable", not his other cable which costs a few dollars more.

3. With this setup, the Replay TV works fine in concert with the Comcast/Motorola Digital Transport Adapter, using the default Motorola IR code-- no software modification is necessary for the Replay TV.

I have not tested this with any other Replay except the 5000 series, but the world is curious if owners of other models would try it. I believe Gary will refund your money if his cable doesn't work for you.

Long Live Replay TV!
post #195 of 198 Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrisavs View Post

The ReplayTV 5000 series works easily with the Comcast DTA-- with two caveats.

To use a Replay TV 5000 series with a Comcast DTA you need to:

1. Get a Motorola-branded DTA from Comcast. The model number is model DTA100/2305/000

2. Obtain on eBay a "Tivo to Comcast DTA" cable from Gary Gray. He markets it as a TiVo cable but it works perfectly with a Replay TV-- at least the 5000 series. His eBay user name is g-gray. Just search for him and you'll find the cable. Make sure you get the "TiVo to Comcast DTA Cable", not his other cable which costs a few dollars more.

3. With this setup, the Replay TV works fine in concert with the Comcast/Motorola Digital Transport Adapter, using the default Motorola IR code-- no software modification is necessary for the Replay TV.

I have not tested this with any other Replay except the 5000 series, but the world is curious if owners of other models would try it. I believe Gary will refund your money if his cable doesn't work for you.

Long Live Replay TV!

Will the "Grey" cable work for a Pace box connected to a 5k? Otherwise, could someone point me in the right direction with the easiest way to get the Pace DTA to work on a 5k? I've read and read but am as confused as ever. Thanks.
post #196 of 198 Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Does anyone still check out this thread? (Other than me of course) Is this a DVArchive AND WiRNS process? I have the .rid file in the photo folder on my 5040 and Pace is now available as a choice but still not actually controlling channel changing. Hopefully people still drop by...
post #197 of 198 Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM

You'll want to check out this thread on how to add the Pace control without having to mess with much of anything. There's even a video on how to do it!
post #198 of 198 Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Thank you very much, kind sir. It's nice to dust off my Replays and not have to pay those pinheads at Comcast another penny to have DVR service throughout the house.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page