IR Code for Comcast DC50X DTA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 198 Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rumor has it that Tivo code 10104-B can be used on these new Digital Transport Adapters that Comcast is now giving out. Does anyone have one of the Pace DC50X boxes working on a ReplayTV yet?

- Karl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" target="_blank">ReplayTV OS Images (Primary)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**This space for rent**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

wow. I feel the love.

Is this because the replay doesn't have the codes OR doesn't have the ability to physically communicate protocol wise?

- Karl
" target="_blank">ReplayTV OS Images (Primary)

**This space for rent**
post #3 of 198 Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
know what you mean, wish I could answer you
post #4 of 198 Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Pace is the company that makes the boxes; they are a subsidiary of Motorola

I called Panasonic to see if they had any codes for my PV-HS2000 and they said no, BUT they showed me a feature "IR Blaster Fine Tune" to tune codes manually following these steps:

Menu
Setup
Change Dialing & Input Settings
Change ANT/CATV
Cable Box
Vancouver - Comcast (Digital) [yours may very depending on location]
Continue [this step just tells you to power off your box, but these boxes don't power off and makes it a pain when your trying to find the right code blindly entering in numbers]
Zones

This should bring up the custom menu "IR Blaster Fine Tune"

At this point the guy I talked to from Panasonic had no information on the Pace DC50X units.

My research took me to Pace America's website which I have to say is very disappointing as far as support as they don't even list the DC50X units in there product page. I sent an e-mail to the only US email address there was ussales@pace.com to forward my question to there technical support.

I now go back to trying every IR Blaster number in the "other" option in the cable box menu of my showstopper hoping to stumble on the right one, wish me luck!

If someone has a showstopper and wants to help in my blind attempt at finding the write code, please post here.
post #5 of 198 Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM

i have been thru all of the codes on my Panasonic PV-HS2000 Showstopper with no luck, this may use a new style of IR detection, i won't know untill i get an email back from Pace

edit: Pace DC50X uses the XMP IR protocol??? <-- saw this on another forum
post #6 of 198 Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm also trying to figure out how to get the IR blaster to work with my Showstopper. Has anyone figured this out yet? The last postings were very uplifting and left me with little to no hope.
post #7 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Sorry all, the DC50X is not supported with our showstoppers, after hours of code entering and 9 emails later i have come up empty handed, Pace thinks that the IR used in the showstoppers is to old.

My next step is to try the DCT700 (ondemand box)
post #8 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Ok, the DCT700 boxes work with showstoppers with IR Blaster code 0476
post #9 of 198 Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM

The DTAs use UEI's XMP protocol...and we're not a subsidiary of Motorola.

Eric
Pace Americas, Inc.

(The views expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Pace Americas, Inc.)

post #10 of 198 Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Thank you for the info. Drew1, esp. since Comcast was no help! I didn't want my OnDemand box on the same TV as the one with my Replay so I split the incoming cable, then have one output going to my Replay and the other going to my DTA and the DTA to the TV. Guess I'll lose channels over 30 on the DVR eventually but can still record the rest....hope that helps someone.
post #11 of 198 Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM

According to the Replay TV web site the IR code for all Pace units is 0237. Unfortunately for me this code is not one of the built in codes in my Replay TV 5060 so I am not able to confirm if it works.

I understand there is some way to add IR codes to the Replay TV but I have not figured that out yet. It would be great if someone has a way to confirm if 0237 is the code for the DC50X. \\

Thanks and good luck.
post #12 of 198 Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybob View Post

According to the Replay TV web site the IR code for all Pace units is 0237. Unfortunately for me this code is not one of the built in codes in my Replay TV 5060 so I am not able to confirm if it works.

If the code is on the ReplayTV website, then it is in the 5000 units. Unless you are talking about some other Replay TV website other than the manufacture...

Henry
post #13 of 198 Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 PM
mst

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybob View Post

I understand there is some way to add IR codes to the Replay TV but I have not figured that out yet. It would be great if someone has a way to confirm if 0237 is the code for the DC50X. \\

Thanks and good luck.

I tried 0237 and that did not work for the DC50X.
Anyone had any luck since the last post?
-mike
post #14 of 198 Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 PM

I've spent many hours on the phone with Comcast techs.

The bad news:
The "free" DTA box (Pace DC50X) won't work with ReplayTV, it uses a newer protocol that isn't supported by ReplayTV and most universal remotes either. An email from PaceUSA confirmed this. Don't waste your time trying code 0237 or others. Shame on Comcast to select this model.

The good news:
Comcast also has a DCT700 box that works. This box offers more functionality than the DTA and thus costs an extra $3/month rental. It responds to the ReplayTV code 7400 (maybe others too) and can be controlled with an IR blaster connected to the ReplayTV. I misplaced mine and got one on eBay for less than ten bucks. After complaining to Comcast about the extra rental fee for features I don't need they gave me a $30 credit to pay for the DCT until a free replacement may be available.

I hope this info helps others.

My ReplayTV 4500 system now works as before. Note: if you want to watch a different channel on the TV while you record another on the DVR you need another converter box for your TV. Comcast installed a free splitter to connect two boxes to my cable. The TV box may be a DTA or a DCT. If it is a DCT you need to hide or shield the IR receiver on the box connected to the ReplayTV to avoid accidental channel switching.

Walligator
post #15 of 198 Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work with the 5040 series?
post #16 of 198 Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM

I just spoke to Comcast. They were not at all interested in giving me a credit or anything whatsoever to offset the expense and inconvenience of having to rent another box. They put me through to some sort of "technician" who kept insisting the Replay should work fine with the DC50X- just hook up an IR Blaster and everything would be fine! At the same time, he admitted he'd never even heard of a ReplayTV before.

Does anyone have any information on what protocol the Pace DC50X uses? I have an idea for a workaround, but my chances for success depend on the complexity of the IR signal used in the Pace box. In a nutshell, the idea is to build a sort of translator box which receives IR commands from the Replay, and then transmits equivalent commands which the DC50X can understand.

Of course, the simplest solution seems to be paying Comcast an additional $3/month, but I'm sufficiently annoyed that I'd like to see what else I can come up with.
post #17 of 198 Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM

I have the same problem. I have been struggling with the connections of the new HD STB I got from Comcast and the DTA with my TV and DVR (RTV-5040). I wanted to record to my ReplayTV and watch live TV at the same time. I got a cable guy to come over and he used a splitter to achieve this goal. He connected one cable going to the STB and the other to the DTA. The STB is then connected directly to the TV while the DTA is connected to the ReplayTV which is connected to the TV. But that's just the beginning of it.

While on ReplayTV, I can only change channels using my DTA remote while only tuned in to channel 3. If I try to change channels with my DVR remote, I get no signal. So I read that you have to use the IR Blaster to control the DTA with your ReplayTV remote. I've misplaced my IR blaster that came with ReplayTV so I had to use the one that came with the DTA which is smaller and cannot cover the entire window of the DTA's IR receiver. Anyway, I was able to get all the channels but i still have the same problem only this time for some odd reason when I try to use my ReplayTV remote to change channel, the DVR will reboot itself but only on some channels. So I was stumped and now i'm here looking for a solution only to find out that the Pace DC50X is not compatible with ReplayTV.

I'm going to demand the DCT700 box that was suggested here and persuade them not to charge me that $3/mo fee since it's not my fault that they created a DTA box that is not compatible with my DVR. Now I wish that the TiVo folks have the same problem so they get many complaints about this issue. Maybe even threaten to cancel and go satellite if they will not waive the fee because I just upgraded to HD. This sucks! There is a workaround but it will only limit you to record an analog signal (channels 2-82 in my area) while watching live tv which I was doing before I upgraded to HD. This is so COMCASTIC!
post #18 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Where are you getting $3 per month. I was told $8.95 per month yesterday by Comcast. Of course I live in California where all companies feel its okay to rob us.
post #19 of 198 Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM

To answer your previous question, I have a 5040 & went thru all the codes & couldn't get the Pace DTA adapter to work, so I ended up having to get Dct700. I think he is getting the $3 a month from the price difference between the rental cost of the DTA & the DCT (since you only get 2 Dta's for free)

The $8.95 cost is the amount for the HD converter box.

Overall the one thing that still pi**es me off is I still see Comcast commercials that say that "I don't need to do anything". Yes I do, I have to order boxes, which I cannot do online, had to call & order them & then deal with the person on the other phone that didn't understand that I needed 4 boxes cause I have 4 replays not connected to any boxes, but because I only have 4 tv's, I only needed 2 more adapters.

This is to allow for more channels. What is sad, is that I will end up seeing 5 more home shopping channels, before I end up seeing the channel I want.. Boomerang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsulliva View Post

Where are you getting $3 per month. I was told $8.95 per month yesterday by Comcast. Of course I live in California where all companies feel its okay to rob us.

post #20 of 198 Old 05-30-2009, 10:20 AM

This is absolute insanity...

After several additional calls to 1-800-Comcast, a sales manager eventually agreed to give me 6 months free rental of a DCT700. They told me to go pick it up at my local service center.

I waited in the long line at my local service center after work on Friday afternoon, only to be told they were all out of digital boxes, and to come back first thing Saturday morning. I asked if they could just hold one for me, and they said no, it was "first come, first served". I pointed out that I was "first come", but they weren't impressed. The service centers apparently have no mechanism for reserving equipment for specific customers.

First thing Saturday morning, I waited in another long line at the service center, only to be told they were all out of DCT700's and didn't think they would be getting any more. I asked if they could special-order one for me, and they said no. The service centers apparently have no mechanism for ordering specific hardware from Comcast.

They told me to call 1-800-Comcast and just have one shipped out to me. I called, and after 45 minutes on the phone with various people, was told they could not send me a DCT700. Apparently, they can put in a request for a digital box, but the shipping department will just grab whatever brand and model of box they have on hand. Comcast apparently has no mechanism for shipping specific hardware to customers.

The Comcast sales manager suggested I drive to a more distant service center and see if they have one in inventory, although he doubted they would. I asked if he could call the service center to find out for me, rather than drive there and stand in another long line. He said no, there are no phone number for the service centers. Comcast apparently has no mechanism for contacting their service centers.

I pointed out that AT&T offers a free DVR to their customers, and asked if he would be willing to offer me a free replacement for my ReplayTV. He said no, he couldn't do that. Apparently Comcast sales managers have no mechanism for making special accommodations for disgruntled customers.

I politely observed that there was no incentive for me to stay with Comcast, and that I would now be looking at switching to AT&T. He told me he was very sorry to hear that, and wished me a good day.

So here I sit, with my perfectly functional but now useless ReplayTV. There is a digital converter box, distributed by Comcast, which will enable me to continue using the Replay. There just isn't any mechanism for getting one.
post #21 of 198 Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM

I can't understand why someone isn't making a box that will take a cable card that can be controlled by the serial on Replay and Tivo (or at least IR) for $50 or so. So people will only have to pay $3 for the card I'm sure they would sell well.
post #22 of 198 Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM

I can tell you that my wife was upset that we had to get more digital boxes when the Pace ones didn't work. This is a time, I'm kind of surprised the satellite companies haven't really taken advantage of.
post #23 of 198 Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:

I was just referring to walligator's post regarding paying an additional $3/mo for a DCT700 box. I live in the SF Bay area and I actually got it for free. I went to Comcast office today to get this box. I was first told that it will cost me $6.95/mo to get this box (which actually costs the same as my new HD STB). They even offered to give me the old non-HD STB that I had before for the same price. I told them I don't need the other features I just want to be able to record from my ReplayTV that's why i'm asking for the DCT700. I complained that it should be free since the DCT700 basically functions the same way as the Pace unit and that I have been a customer for over 20 years.

I was ready to talk to the manager when I asked the agent how much it will cost to upgrade my service to their HD Plus Triple Play. Currently, they are having a promo that costs $139.99/mo for 1 year that includes HD, Internet, Phone service, faster broadband speed, and with HBO. I'm currently paying $153 for a Silver Package and internet plus $6.95/mo of HD upgraded that I added last week. That brings my total to $159.95 which costs more than their promo and that is actually the cost after their HD Plus Triple Play promo expires. So I told the agent to upgrade me to Triple Play and she said that i could get the DCT700 for free. I am cool with that and I don't mind transferring my landline phone from AT&T to Comcast VoIP (costs $1.50 to switch). However, i'm not sure how much this will cost after the promo is over. I just hope that by that time Astound or Verizon FiOS will be available in my area so I can transfer and take advantage of another promo.
post #24 of 198 Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post

I was just referring to walligator's post regarding paying an additional $3/mo for a DCT700 box. I live in the SF Bay area and I actually got it for free. I went to Comcast office today to get this box.

I'm also in the SF Bay Area. Which office did you go to?
post #25 of 198 Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM

I went to the Foster City office. Incidentally, I cant get the DCT700 to work with my ReplayTV remote. I have used the 7400 code and it will not work. I used every code listed for Motorola (except for custom) and also a couple of codes from General Instruments which some users said works for them (I googled this info) but nothing worked. Anyone else have another code for me to try? Else I may have to call ReplayTV tech to help me with this problem. Need help
post #26 of 198 Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Saw this on a cable forum http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp...1&nav=menu40_2 surprised there is not hundreds of these.
post #27 of 198 Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Sorry to read that. I think this may be a good case for a class action suit. It is not our fault that Comcast changed to all digital. At least they should provide a converter box that works with our equipment.

Be persistent. If you don't get what you want ask to get a supervisor. For me this always worked. If not, hang up and call again. You will get different people to help you.

For now, the DCF700 works fine. The DTA's don't.

In my case, after complaining that all my other recording devices don't work either w/o a converter and don't even have the IR-blaster option Comcast even provided me with a free Comcast DVR (piece of crap) for free for a year. At least they are trying.
post #28 of 198 Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM

I have been completely frustrated in my attempts to get my JVC SVHS VCR to control either the Pace DTA or Motorola STB supplied by Comcast - My relatively high end SVHS VCR has a sort of IR blaster which will communicate with more than 30 brands of cable boxes - but not the ones supplied by Comcast - so I went out and bought one of the few hard drive DVRs that are still available in the US and which have both an over the air tuner and a QAM tuner which can tune in unencripted digital cable signals. (I got a Magnavox 2160A 160 GB hard drive and DVD recorder available at Walmart on line for $249.98 or Target for a bit more).

It was my understanding that the former Comcast Extended basic channels in the channel range of 39 to about 59 (which includes CNBC, MSNBC and Fox News) would remain unencripted, even though they are now digital only - but Comcast has encripted them, so I can't receive and record them with the timer on my new DVR. - Apparently even though the Pace DTA doesn't have a cable card - and can't communicate two way - it does receive and decode certain non premium encripted channels.
post #29 of 198 Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walligator View Post

Sorry to read that. I think this may be a good case for a class action suit. It is not our fault that Comcast changed to all digital. At least they should provide a converter box that works with our equipment.

I would participate in a class action suit. The BS they give you when you call is that is part of the federal mandate to go digital. The lying is making me mad.
post #30 of 198 Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walligator View Post

I would participate in a class action suit. The BS they give you when you call is that is part of the federal mandate to go digital. The lying is making me mad.

I don't think that you'd have a lot of luck with that. The FCC mandate is only that if they choose to switch to all digital that they provide free converter boxes to their analog customers. The mandate clearly allows for them to switch to all digital as long as they don't charge their analog customers for it. It however does NOT require them to provide free convert boxes which are supported by ReplayTV units! Only that they work with analog TVs...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page