Anyway to upgrade video encoder on Replaytv 4500 series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I have a replaytv 4500 series and I love everything about using it. My one problem is the video quality which was great for my older TV, now looks horrible on my large high def 1080P 47-inch samsung LCD TV.

I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the video encoder/decoder or whatever is responsible for the video quality on it?

Other then that, I love all the features on it.

Please someone help me.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Although the 5K had a better encoder there is nothing wrong with the one in the 4K. Your problem is your tv. Most LCD panel makers have eliminated all of the circuitry that the old CRT sets had to clean up and improve analog video. Some makers (Toshiba, for one), still claim to include them in some models.

Tony
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM

I think the results you get depend strongly on the chipsets the TV manufacturer has used in their TVs. I own two HDTV's: a (nearly) 6 year old Samsung 720p DLP (HLN series) and a brand new Sony Z series 1080p, and there is a world of difference in the picture quality I get in RTV playback.

In both cases I have my cable box going into the RTV via composite video, and the RTV out into the TV as 480p component video.

The first observation is that, when my cable company switched from analog to all-digital cable (and I got a converter box), the picture quality (with the RTV set at "Medium" quality) improved somewhat on the Sammy.

But what amazes me is the PQ I get on the Sony with the same setup: again with a "Medium" quality recording, if the show is letterboxed, I can put my Sony into "zoom" mode and fill the screen with an incredibly nice quality image.

To me this says the Sony does a much better job of up-scaling 480p to 1080 than the Samsung does going from 480p to 720. Now, six years of progress in scaler chips has got to be worth something.

Then too, I think a lot of this is due to the fact that it's digital cable coming into the RTV as composite video, not analog dependent on the RTV's crummy NTSC tuner.

But either way, it's a pleasant surprise with the new Sony.

So, Johnny, what's the input to your RTV? If you can switch to something better than RF input to the RTV's tuner, you might be pleasantly surprised.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Kenlex - Composite? Seriously I think you will be in for a nice surprise if you connect from Cable box to RTV via S-video.

Nicer still if you tell cable box to output anamorphic. RTV will play back in full 16:9. No need for TVs zoom mode.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Slack,

The cable box in question is a Motorola DCT-700, one of the mini boxes that is intended specifically for digital cable and 4x3 TVs. The only output choices are RF and composite; no S-Video (and believe me, I wished!). And no anamorphic, either (I have multiple RTVs, some hooked up to conventional 4x3 sets, so recording anamorphic on the RTVs hooked up to the HDTVs would be a problem, anyway).

Both my HD TVs have cableco HD DVRs, since the incremental cost of the DVR HD box over the HD non-DVR box is only $6/mo. by my cableco's pricing plan. Besides I'm used to always being able to pause live TV

Of course the Replays have the disk capacity, flexibility, and networking capability that the cableco HD DVRs don't have, so they ain't goin' away anytime soon!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Little late on a reply, but I hooked up via the VGA port and now record everything in High quality. The other quality look like crap on my 40" flat panel.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page