image for an old Replay 2020... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are the images for the 2020 and Panasonic Showstopper 1000 or 2000 the same?
Need a new hard drive for an aunts Replay 2020, and see one on ebay for sale but not sure if its the same type of image...
Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Are the images for the 2020 and Panasonic Showstopper 1000 or 2000 the same?
Need a new hard drive for an aunts Replay 2020, and see one on ebay for sale but not sure if its the same type of image...
Thanks..

the 2020 and showstopper use different operating systems and so would not function when installed in the other model.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks; I'll keep loooking.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a PC with an IDE interface or an external USB hard drive enclosure, you can just put the correct image on a hard drive yourself. The 2020 image is here as replay20XXvs3.02.zip, and instructions on installing the image are here...

Henry
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Like a USB to IDE cable?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Like a USB to IDE cable?

Yep, plenty of people have used those. After all, that's basically what's inside a USB enclosure, anyways...

But, it's typically either it works or it doesn't work. I'm not sure what makes the difference because it really shouldn't have much to do with the drive, but either Windows will see the drive or it won't. If it doesn't work, then you'll have to try a different adapter. But, I would hope that now a days most adapters would work pretty well. Be sure and use the power adapter to power the hard drive. The USB to IDE adapter should require a power adapter and you need to use that...

Henry
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Yep, plenty of people have used those. After all, that's basically what's inside a USB enclosure, anyways...

But, it's typically either it works or it doesn't work. I'm not sure what makes the difference because it really shouldn't have much to do with the drive, but either Windows will see the drive or it won't. If it doesn't work, then you'll have to try a different adapter. But, I would hope that now a days most adapters would work pretty well. Be sure and use the power adapter to power the hard drive. The USB to IDE adapter should require a power adapter and you need to use that...

Henry

It looks like I should be able to do it, from reading the instructions I need RTVpatch to put the image onto the HD... they are both separate components right? ... Have to try with windowsVista first on my desktop if not I have an old laptop that still has WindowsXP...
i'll give it a shot, the worst that could happen is I end up with a extra HD for storage...
post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, more about using RTVPatch is available here. However, once you get to the SourcForge website there are is a whole bunch more information. I linked you the page on using an image because most of the instructions you'll find are about copying an old hard drive versus just generating a new hard drive. I don't know if you have the old hard drive or even care about the old hard drive, but my step-by-step instructions for replacing a RTV hard drive are available here. Those instructions are still pretty valid for a RTV 2000 except that the pictures and stuff are for a 5000. You could still download the shows from your old 2000 hard drive if you wanted to, for example. But, mainly the mainly the second part of the instructions on creating a new hard drive are what you want to pay attention to. You'll just need to adjust the instructions from 5000 to 2000...

You really shouldn't have a problem with using Vista even though the instructions make no mention of Vista. Obviously Vista was not available when the instructions were written. It's possible that you might have problems with the GUI portion of RTVPatch since it isn't specifically a Vista application, so you may have to tell Vista that it's an XP application...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page