Is dial in for thr 5XXX series still working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally built myself an OTA htpc using beyondtv and media portal....I wanted to setup my replaytv at my mom's house since she still uses just cable and she can get some good use out of it....one of the things I had to do was switch from ethernet to modem...I haven't used modem in ages and we kept getting an "unable to connect to server" error. I've found some at&t and earthlink numbers to try the area code and prefix of but wondered whether the dial in server was even still available...if not I'm going to have to do some rearranging at her house to get an ethernet connection to the replaytv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Liked: 11
Was it calling the national number or a local one? If it was local and you haven't used modem in a while the number might not be valid anymore, if its the national one to get local ones try lowering the modem speed. And make sure you clear the guide twice before calling the national number.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl View Post

Was it calling the national number or a local one? If it was local and you haven't used modem in a while the number might not be valid anymore, if its the national one to get local ones try lowering the modem speed. And make sure you clear the guide twice before calling the national number.

It was dialing the national number to get local numbers.asked for area code and prefix of home phone .....will definitely try clearing the guide a few times...I changed it to her zip code so it did get all new guide data via ethernet before I took it to her house. Where are you going to control modem speed? (I'll look through the menu's again when I'm at her house as I don't recall seeing a speed option but then again I normally used ethernet). I was concered the fact she has dsl in her house might be an issue but her regular answering machine is working off the same wall jack so don't see how it could be.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 PM

When on the dialing prefix screen press the zone button will bring up screen with the modem speed. Probably won't need to lower though if you haven't cleared guide twice was probably why you were having problems
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 11:49 PM

I think you will need filter for DSL.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

For what it's worth . . . . I have a 5060 box that's a little flaky and locks up every few months or so. I have to do a pull-the-power-cord-out power down for it to reboot. When it does, it has lost all of its setup and needs to be configured as if it were new. Luckily, it still has a phone line connected from the bad old days of dial up. I go through the setup, which includes dialing in to the mother-ship. It worked just fine last week when it went poop again.

Bye.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies..I was able to get my mom successfully setup with the replaytv after doing a 243-zones and resetting the guide data 3 times....2 was not enough. It finally connected to the server, got a local number and then I was able to get her guide data updated. She's getting used to being able to pause live tv.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM

I got a showstopper for my mom, the how to use it talk went so much better than the VCR one years ago. She was amazed how easy it was to set up recording.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page