SwapDV available - Replay TV client, server and guide editor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 550 Old 02-16-2002, 05:35 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member
 
jtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jdm1979
Jotter: Here is a request for SwapDV that would make it totally awesome.

I don't know if its possible but can you somehow incorporate a download accelerator into Swap DV so it downloads a show that is 1 GB in size in 1/3 the time it normally takes by splitting the file up in 2 - 3 pieces and downloading those pieces simoultaniously and then after the completed downloads it recooperates the files into the original form?
I tried exactly that with my httpfs client, and it didn't help at all. Someone else pointed out that the ~21mb/sec transfers we're getting match up pretty well with disk transfer rates over non-ultra IDE -- I think that's where the bottleneck is.

My ReplayTV notes
jtl-avs-replaytv@molehill.org
jtl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 550 Old 02-16-2002, 05:35 PM
Member
 
jdm1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is ReplayPC/my httpfs GUI based? I like gui's for easy configurations and organizations.
jdm1979 is offline  
post #93 of 550 Old 02-16-2002, 05:38 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member
 
jtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jdm1979
Is ReplayPC/my httpfs GUI based? I like gui's for easy configurations and organizations.
Nope, they're command line tools, for ease of use and flexibility.

My ReplayTV notes
jtl-avs-replaytv@molehill.org
jtl is offline  
post #94 of 550 Old 02-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Member
 
jdm1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought of another minor feature that would be cool... how about when you minimize SwapDV it shows the progress of the xfers your making to your PC...[time left, %, files left] like most FTP clients do. This way if your surfing the web or chatting on irc you dont have to switch between them both [alt tab] or clicking the bar in the taskbar area to view the progress. It will save a few seconds of time and not that big a deal.. but a nice additional feature.
jdm1979 is offline  
post #95 of 550 Old 02-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Member
 
nystratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I was wrong, I have been trying to do all my SwapDV work on Windows and keep the video on the big Linux box, but it is just to slow. I tried to run SwapDV on my Linux box using WINE, but right now WINE can't support Java windows emulation.

Anyone working on a more open frontend?
nystratton is offline  
post #96 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jdm1979
I thought of another minor feature that would be cool... how about when you minimize SwapDV it shows the progress of the xfers your making to your PC...[time left, %, files left] like most FTP clients do. This way if your surfing the web or chatting on irc you dont have to switch between them both [alt tab] or clicking the bar in the taskbar area to view the progress. It will save a few seconds of time and not that big a deal.. but a nice additional feature.
Added to todo...
jotter is offline  
post #97 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
I tried exactly that with my httpfs client, and it didn't help at all. Someone else pointed out that the ~21mb/sec transfers we're getting match up pretty well with disk transfer rates over non-ultra IDE -- I think that's where the bottleneck is.
I agree that a download accelator would be great between swapDV servers. Something supporting a good P2P model would be great.

However, Im not sure that would help backing up video from your replay box over the local network. As people have pointed out the transfer rate could be disk limited (but at which end?). Im not sure how splitting up the dl across multiple requests would help?

If the transfer is network limited then splitting up the requests clearly won't help either.

Hmmm?
Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #98 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
I've transferred about 6 hours worth of video since then without any trouble, but that was with ReplayPC/my httpfs, not swapdv. There were no changes at all in the HTTPFS module, but there were in HttpHandlers.
Hmmm. Anyone else seeing this?

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #99 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by mschoneman
Mine will reboot if if I'm downloading a show with SwapDV and try to access the menu.

Also it will reboot if I try to pull two shows at the same time. It doesn't happen right away, but about 50% through both shows my 4080 goes out to lunch for a while then reboots.

jotter keep up the good work. I'm more than willing to deal with the occasional hiccups because the end result is fantastic.
Hmm. What menu are you talking about? The SwapDV show menu from your replay box?

For other people here are conditions which I know will cause reboots:

* SwapDV serving a corrupt guide. Most commonly happens when you download a "stripped" guide from replaypc etc. Use SwapDV to grab a guide or create one from scratch.

* Trying to play a show which doesn't exist on the remote replay (e.g. SwapDV). Replay says no video but when you try to play a second show (regardless of whether it exists) it will reboot.

If you have a reboot which doesn't seem to fall into these two please let me know (jotter20022002@yahoo.com)

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #100 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 11:29 AM
jtl
AVS Special Member
 
jtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jotter
As people have pointed out the transfer rate could be disk limited (but at which end?).
For my speed tests, I was throwing the received data away, not storing it.
Quote:
Im not sure how splitting up the dl across multiple requests would help?
If the bottleneck had turned out to be a small send window and network/software latency, it would have helped a lot -- that's why the download accelerators work so well over the long distances of the 'net. That's doesn't seem to be the bottleneck here.

Quote:
If the transfer is network limited then splitting up the requests clearly won't help either.
There are ways the network can be the bottleneck other than the simple bits/second throughput.

My ReplayTV notes
jtl-avs-replaytv@molehill.org
jtl is offline  
post #101 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by NoFreakinWay
I'm having a problem thats causing the RPTV 4k to reboot. I'm not sure if its the 4k or swapDV. When I go to the replay guide and move up to the replay 4k name and switch to my swapDV server, it causes the RPTV to reboot. Sometimes it takes switching back and forth a couple times, but it always reboots.
Other times the the guide is not showing any entries when its on the swapDV server.
Anyone else have this happening???
This sounds like a corrupted guide. How did you get the guide which SwapDV is serving up? You could try and move your root directory elsewhere and get SwapDV to recreate a blank one - add a new channel and see if you can get that guide appearing consistently.

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #102 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Member
 
NoFreakinWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by jotter


This sounds like a corrupted guide. How did you get the guide which SwapDV is serving up? You could try and move your root directory elsewhere and get SwapDV to recreate a blank one - add a new channel and see if you can get that guide appearing consistently.

Jotter
My guide was created by swapDV as I added shows. If I delete the guide then I will lose the ability to serve the videos I've downloaded. They are no longer on my 4K so I have no way to recreate the guide with these shows in it. Is there anyway that swapDV can be used to re-create the guide or repair the guide? The questionable thing that happened is a manual recording from Line2 input. On an earlier version of swapDV it would not allow me to even download the manual recording, not unitl I went to the replay and renamed the show and channel that I recorded from. I recently recorded another from line2 and it did let me downlaod it, but I think the problem has been occuring since then.

-= NFW =-
NoFreakinWay is offline  
post #103 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
epete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too, am having many RPTV rebooting problems, I was able to get SwapDV to stream a program to my RPTV once, but RPTV is constantly rebooting now anytime I select the SwapDV Server from the RPTV.

I am sure, I am doing something wrong, because I don't completely understand the proper *.rgd process.

I assume RPTV maintains a single *.rgd file and updates as programs are added or removed. When SwapDV imports a show to my SwapDV library, it saves my *.mpg and *.ndx into the video folder. I assume it is also saving a snapshot of the *.rgd file into my SwapDV root directory.

After performing this process, I was unable to see a guide on my server via the RPTV. I copied the *.rgd file and renamed it to the same name as the *.mpg file. (I believe this is what I am supposed to do from reading through all of the strings.)

I was then able to see the guide and play a program. (but only once). I did try to play a program that was not copied and the RPYV reboots almost any time I scroll to the server (or sometimes as I scroll through programs on the server).

I have seen some discussions of swapDV creating its own guide. How is this done? What does "Content Guide|Add Channel" do? I have seen some references to editing the guides, does SwapDV support this yet or is this one of the dimmed options?

Please help me understand the proper way to copy or generate a clean guide that will work without RPTV Rebooting. If there is a method for editing the guide, that would be helpful to know how to do also.

What is the reason for the "save contents guide (no header)" when right clicking a program within a real RPTV library window?

This is really great stuff here! Thank You.
epete is offline  
post #104 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by epete
I too, am having many RPTV rebooting problems, I was able to get SwapDV to stream a program to my RPTV once, but RPTV is constantly rebooting now anytime I select the SwapDV Server from the RPTV.

I am sure, I am doing something wrong, because I don't completely understand the proper *.rgd process.

I assume RPTV maintains a single *.rgd file and updates as programs are added or removed. When SwapDV imports a show to my SwapDV library, it saves my *.mpg and *.ndx into the video folder. I assume it is also saving a snapshot of the *.rgd file into my SwapDV root directory.

After performing this process, I was unable to see a guide on my server via the RPTV. I copied the *.rgd file and renamed it to the same name as the *.mpg file. (I believe this is what I am supposed to do from reading through all of the strings.)

I was then able to see the guide and play a program. (but only once). I did try to play a program that was not copied and the RPYV reboots almost any time I scroll to the server (or sometimes as I scroll through programs on the server).

I have seen some discussions of swapDV creating its own guide. How is this done? What does "Content Guide|Add Channel" do? I have seen some references to editing the guides, does SwapDV support this yet or is this one of the dimmed options?

Please help me understand the proper way to copy or generate a clean guide that will work without RPTV Rebooting. If there is a method for editing the guide, that would be helpful to know how to do also.

What is the reason for the "save contents guide (no header)" when right clicking a program within a real RPTV library window?

This is really great stuff here! Thank You.
Ok, the .rgd process is pretty straightforward. The SwapDV server serves the most recent .rgd file (based on filename) from its root directory. This is YOUR list of videos which you edit using the guide. When SwapDV needs to exchange a show (either from a remote replay tv or with another SwapDV server (probably by saving the show to disk)) it needs a "snapshot" of a guide containing the show so that it can copy the description into your content guide. The SwapDV program imports to the "Import" folder and once all 3 files are in place (.rgd, .ndx and .mpg) it copies the show entry from the import .rgd into its root .rgd and deletes the imported .rgd file afterwards. You should never normally need to touch the .rgd files yourself (although its sometimes necessary to recover)

There is a bug with the current release of SwapDV which stops the server returning an up-to-date version of the guide when "auto-save guide" is being used. Ive fixed it and hope to have a bug fixed release with "edit" and "play" features out soon.

The only reason for the "save contents guide (no header)" is that some other tools like a "stripped" or headerless version so I added a function for cross-tool use. In normal use you probably never need to save the remote replay guide explicitly.

Soooo. To get you started:
* Move the contents of your SwapDV folder somewhere else for "safe-keeping". You should have your root folder with "Video" and "Import" subdirectories (all empty)
* Start SwapDV. It will create a new "blank" guide for you to start with.
* Add a new channel.
* Go to remote-replays and enter your replays IP address
* Find a show you like and select import and choose the channel you just created. *NOTE* there is a small bug here where if you hit cancel now it WILL import the show anyway and create a new channel the same as the show had originally.
* After it downloads you should see the new show entry in the SwapDV contents guide.
* You may need to click on "Save guide" off the "Content guide" menu at the top if auto-save isn't on
* Start the server (if it isn't already)
* Go to your replay box and hopefully the top left of your guide screen menu will allow you to select another replay (the SwapDV server)

As I said Im hoping to get a minor bug-fixing release out soon.

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #105 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to nearly all of you for the bug reports, feature requests and support.

While Im thinking about where to go next with SwapDV heres a new version (0.2a). Minor fixes and features:

* auto-save bug fixed
* edit show details now added :)
* play added to show menu (local SwapDV file only)
* SwapDV now runs as a small icon in tray with right click menu

I've not replaced the 0.15c as Id like to see how people get along with this one first... ;)

If anyone wants to give me some good looking SwapDV icons, rather than the horrible 5 minute ones Ive produced, please drop me a line :)

Jotter

134 times
*** Please use attachment in very first post ***
jotter is offline  
post #106 of 550 Old 02-17-2002, 08:58 PM
Member
 
NoFreakinWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jotter,

I deleted the manual recording from the replayserver and the reboot problem dissapeared. Sooo it was apparently a guide problem like you said. Thanks.. I have the offending guide file if you're interested it looking at it.



The manual recordings will have to wait. :(
Maybe with the editable guide in this release it will work. We'll see.
BTW: Thanks for all your work. And my offer to help out still stands. I do have J++ available.

-= NFW =-
NoFreakinWay is offline  
post #107 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
acourvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jotter -

Thanks for this great piece of software!

If you are still taking feature requests, I have a couple of thoughts. The new edit capabilities are great, but it would be good if it was also possible to edit some additional information, like minutes, channel, etc. One reason for this is importing older shows for which we have no guide info. It looks like you can do this by taking an existing guide entry and editting it, and by changing the name of the show that you want to display to the name originally associated with that guide entry. But unless they were both the same length, it will display oddly in the Replay guide (e.g., I added the movie "Disclosure" this way; it seems to show up in the guide and play just fine, but because the guide entry I used was fo a 30 minute show, it displays as a 30 minute show even though it is ~2hrs.). Another possibility would be a "build your own" guide entry. It would also be handy to be able to edit channels.

Also, the entries in the edit dialog for recordings show up in the wrong columns(i.e., Show Title is in the Episode Title column, Episode title is in the Description column, Description is in the DescName column).
acourvil is offline  
post #108 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Member
 
jmhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must be missing something because I can't get a show I've imported to my SwapDV Library to show up on my ReplayTV.

Here's what I did:

1. Created a channel in My SwapDV Library called "Stuff"

2.Ran the app, opened my RTV, clicked on a show and selected "Import Show to My SwapDV Library", when prompted for what channel to import it to, selected "Stuff"

3. Watched in the download page as the show downloaded and completed. It is now listed under the Content Guide of my Library.

4. Went into my ReplayTV recorded shows view, went up to the top and selected the computer name which is running as the server. It doesn't show any shows available to watch.

I tried to weed this information out of all the posts....really I did, but I didn't see it answered. Someone please take pity on me?
jmhardy is offline  
post #109 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Member
 
jmhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, something I did caused the show to become available...but I'm not sure what! Any ideas?
jmhardy is offline  
post #110 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Member
 
nystratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by NoFreakinWay


My guide was created by swapDV as I added shows. If I delete the guide then I will lose the ability to serve the videos I've downloaded. They are no longer on my 4K so I have no way to recreate the guide with these shows in it. Is there anyway that swapDV can be used to re-create the guide or repair the guide? The questionable thing that happened is a manual recording from Line2 input. On an earlier version of swapDV it would not allow me to even download the manual recording, not unitl I went to the replay and renamed the show and channel that I recorded from. I recently recorded another from line2 and it did let me downlaod it, but I think the problem has been occuring since then.
I have the same problem, I use a combination of PHP3 Replayserver and the Java replay server depending on my guide format. I then can save the guide in whatever format I want. You are right though, a quick tool to fix this would be cool.
nystratton is offline  
post #111 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Member
 
nystratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You may want to add a option to limit the number of simultaneous downloads to a replay unit. When I try to suck more then 4 from a unit at one time the tool locked up. I thought it was just my box, but I have 3 replays and I can suck 4 files from each replay or 12 files at one time with no problem.

-nathan
nystratton is offline  
post #112 of 550 Old 02-18-2002, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by nystratton
You may want to add a option to limit the number of simultaneous downloads to a replay unit. When I try to suck more then 4 from a unit at one time the tool locked up. I thought it was just my box, but I have 3 replays and I can suck 4 files from each replay or 12 files at one time with no problem.

-nathan
Interesting. So it looks like a replay limit. Sounds like a 4 transfer limit would be a good idea.

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #113 of 550 Old 02-19-2002, 04:11 AM
Member
 
jgourd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you might want to maintain a queue and let the user determine the max threads (1-4).
jgourd is offline  
post #114 of 550 Old 02-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Member
 
nystratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My setup is a bit odd, I run SwapDV on a win 2000 box, but the storage is a SAMBA drive on my Linux box.

Anyway, when I start transferring files with Swap DV I get 4 downloads each from two 4Ks. The transfers start at around 200K each (slower because the traffic has to hit the 2K box and then hit the Linux server with the RAID drives) download. As time goes on that keeps dropping until the download finishes and ends up around 80k.

Now I can see how a flow would get smaller, but when one of the 4 flows finishes and I start a new transfer it jumps back to around 200K so I know the box can send more.

So has anyone else run into this sort of thing? It looks like the replay will lower the transfer because of network issues, but never brings it back up. It is almost like TCP sliding window is broken.

-Nathan
My setup is a bit odd, I run SwapDV on a win 2000 box, but the storage is a SAMBA drive on my Linux box.

Anyway, when I start transferring files with Swap DV I get 4 downloads each from two 4Ks. The transfers start at around 200K each (slower because the traffic has to hit the 2K box and then hit the Linux server with the RAID drives) download. As time goes on that keeps dropping until the download finishes and ends up around 80k.

Now I can see how a flow would get smaller, but when one of the 4 flows finishes and I start a new transfer it jumps back to around 200K so I know the box can send more.

So has anyone else run into this sort of thing? It looks like the replay will lower the transfer because of network issues, but never brings it back up. It is almost like TCP sliding window is broken.

-Nathan
nystratton is offline  
post #115 of 550 Old 02-19-2002, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
ozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed a significant number of video interrupts when attempting playback from a SwapDV server stream to a 4000. The symptoms are the appearance of a blue screen with the message "video unavailable". The blue screen remains for approximately 2 to 3 seconds and then the video stream will proceed. I've experienced this condition consistently since installing the last two revs of SwapDV with an interrupt interval of approximately every 10 to 15 minutes. I'm running 100 on the network, hence I don't believe the network is necessarily the bottleneck. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Jotter, is there possibly something in the server that could be causing this?
ozone is offline  
post #116 of 550 Old 02-19-2002, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Im contemplating moving part of the SwapDV micro-server code over to a more fully functional (but still probably standalone and hopefully small) java based HTTP1.1 web server. If anyone has any thoughts on the possibilities/alternatives (hopefully with fairly generous licensing for distribution) please drop me a line (jotter20022002@yahoo.com) (Jetty for example?)

Jotter
jotter is offline  
post #117 of 550 Old 02-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Member
 
nystratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a odd problem that I hope someone can help me with. When I suck video using SeapDV and I look at it in the Import directory as it is being downloaded I can play the video fine in Wamble or Media Player. I also can play any downloaded video from any of my 4Ks that was downloaded with replayer or replaypc.

However when a download finishes with SwapDV and it is moved into the Video directory from Import I can no longer play it. I just goet a black screen. Anyone have any ideas? Could it have something with the move from Import to Video or is the file touched in any way after it is downloaded?

My setup is a Linux box with 1.1 TB of RAID disk using SAMBA to map the drive to a windows box running SwapDV.

-Nathan
nystratton is offline  
post #118 of 550 Old 02-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Newbie
 
dbatten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jotter
I have a question/request about running SwapDV on a server with multiple IP addresses on Port 80. I wish to run SwapDV on the same machine I use for a web server (Windows 2000). When I add a second IP address to the NIC, SwapDV will only see the primary IP address. I have tried to move the IIS5 web services to the second IP, but both SwapDV and the IIS5 web services won't run at the same time on port 80. Is there any way to get SwapDV to see multiple IP's? Will SwapDV see more than one IP if I add a second NIC? I know I can use a different port for SwapDV, but the Replay 4000 does not see the server if I use any port besides 80.

Thanks,
David
dbatten is offline  
post #119 of 550 Old 02-20-2002, 08:45 AM
Member
 
jgourd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure if the ReplayTV would work if the Web server doesn't disguise itself as another ReplayTV. With that in mind, it might be easy to make a SwapDV component that registers itself as an ISAPI filter in IIS to allow us to use IIS as an altenative to the internal Web server.
jgourd is offline  
post #120 of 550 Old 02-20-2002, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dbatten
Jotter
I have a question/request about running SwapDV on a server with multiple IP addresses on Port 80. I wish to run SwapDV on the same machine I use for a web server (Windows 2000). When I add a second IP address to the NIC, SwapDV will only see the primary IP address. I have tried to move the IIS5 web services to the second IP, but both SwapDV and the IIS5 web services won't run at the same time on port 80. Is there any way to get SwapDV to see multiple IP's? Will SwapDV see more than one IP if I add a second NIC? I know I can use a different port for SwapDV, but the Replay 4000 does not see the server if I use any port besides 80.

Thanks,
David
Hmmm. Presumably if you could edit the IP address you could put in the second NIC IP instead? I just use Javas built-in local inet address functions which are clearly defaulting to the NIC you don't want.

However, Im not sure even then it would work as you seemed to have tried doing a variant of that with your IIS server. SwapDV (or ANY replay server) needs to run on port 80. The other replay box on your network simply won't see it otherwise. Obviously if you are just interested in running the server you can on a different port but the replay won't be able to use it.

Putting it behind an IIS web server *may* be possible, but there are problems with the URL paths the SwapDV server needs to accept (almost everything at the root level).

Hmmm.
Im currently thinking about moving over to a web-interface for x-platform work (the swapDV server must run a web server anyway) so there may be a need to think about more integration with an existing web server, rather than standalone (although for many people standalone is much easier to deal with - no setup!)

Jotter
jotter is offline  
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off