Closed Thread

post #1 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

The SwapDV application allows you to manage your own digital video library, based on content backed up from from your replay TV. It combines the functionality of a replay client (Yet Another Replay Client), a replay server (Yet Another Replay Server) and a replay guide editor :)

The application is for all platforms.

A small feature list:
* connect to a replay TV and browse its contents
* download mpegs (raw/modified)
* save and edit guides (raw/header stripped)
* import digital video into your local server, either from your replay TV or from your disk
* edit, add, remove shows and channels
* emulate a replayTV box on your local network
* "real" replay TVs can play back videos from your server

The application needs 3 files in order to import a new digital video into its guide - the mpg, the ndx and a guide snapshot with that show in (.rgd). The guide editor will save these three out for you automatically, or you can use the import function to import directly from a replay TV box on the network.

Feedback encouraged (trevor@fxpal.com, private msg, or post a reply). What do you like, what don't you you understand with the UI, what functionality is missing etc.

Jotter

* Updated: version 0.12 (95 downloads)
- Fixed import bug
- Tolerate bad (stripped header) guides
* Update: version 0.15 (15 downloads)
- More options (auto-save guide, auto-restart server on load)
- Server config moved to server menu
- "Failed to copy entire file" incorrect dialog fixed
* Update: version 0.15b/c (132 downloads)
- Fixed dropped menu handlers
- Autosave filename bug fixed
* Update: version 0.22 (514 downloads)
- Application runs in Tray
- Updated column names
- Show descriptions/length etc. can be edited
- Shows can change channel (drag over channel to change)
- Multiple select supported for various operations
- Play supported for local files
- .rgd files stored into video dir for guide recontruction
- initial release of UPnP "proxy" functionality - make an internet replay TV available to your internal network replay box
- Log file save/clear added
* Update: version 0.5 (883 downloads)
- Completely Java, with swing GUI for cross-platform support
- Macrovision protection

NOTE: More than 4 simultaneous transfers from a replay box seems to crash the replay box (you need to reboot it to recover). I would recommend only importing 2 files at once (as their are 2 files for each - the .ndx and .mpg)

SwapDV 0.5 and source code released. Go to http://swapdv.sourceforge.net to download the new version and/or sources
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 12:26 PM

Cool. Quick question:
Would it be possible for me to...
1. Set up a box with win2k and 320 gB or so of storage and install this on it
2. Pull all the stuff off a Replay TV (presumably this could even be done automatically with a macro program).
3. Set up all 20 computers in my house (running win9x or win2k) to be able to pull shows off the server box.
4. Have 2 or more people pull shows off the server at the same time.

If your program will fit the above scenario, you are my new shero.

-Biscuits
post #3 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 12:50 PM

Great Job! I have a couple questions though.

What does save show as library swap file mean?

Whats the difference between saving the mpg's as replay or pc format? On my computer I can view both formats in Windows media player just fine.

When will a FAQ or readme be available for SwapDV
post #4 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdm1979
Great Job! I have a couple questions though.

What does save show as library swap file mean?

Whats the difference between saving the mpg's as replay or pc format? On my computer I can view both formats in Windows media player just fine.

When will a FAQ or readme be available for SwapDV
Answers :)
* FAQ/readme - err, when I can get around to it. Anyone want to host the download ;)

* "save show as library swap file" basically means save the three parts required to swap the file with someone else. So saving a show that way will save "101nnnnn.mpg" "101nnnnn.ndx" and "101nnnnn.rgd". If you give these to someone else, they can add the show to their swapDV library by right clicking on a channel and selecting "import".

* Save as Replay vs Save as PC. Basically the PC save adjusts the mpeg header to make it "more" mpeg complient. The Save as replay saves the raw Mpeg without alteration. I was after some terminology which was a bit more user friendly.

Jotter
post #5 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Biscuitsjam
Cool. Quick question:
Would it be possible for me to...
2. Pull all the stuff off a Replay TV (presumably this could even be done automatically with a macro program).
3. Set up all 20 computers in my house (running win9x or win2k) to be able to pull shows off the server box.

If your program will fit the above scenario, you are my new shero.

-Biscuits
Answers:
(1) yes
(2) yes. I should allow you to select more than 1 file at once to import to your swapDV library
(3) hmmm. yes in theory but not currently (if your host server could manage the load). You would need something to be able to play the incoming stream (windows media player?) and I would probably need to add some functionality to the server to stream the mpeg in a more standard manner than the wierd chunked format the replays understand.
(4) yes, pretty similar to (3). You should be able to point the "client" part of the swapDV app at another swapDV library server and do that...

Jotter
post #6 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgive me if I've just missed it, but does your app or anyone else's allow for playing a show (streaming) from a real ReplayTV box on (to) a PC? It appears this does everything but that. Thanks.

-Gary

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:40 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jotter

* Save as Replay vs Save as PC. Basically the PC save adjusts the mpeg header to make it "more" mpeg complient. The Save as replay saves the raw Mpeg without alteration. I was after some terminology which was a bit more user friendly.
What changes are you making? There seemed to have been a consensus that the 4k mpeg streams were compliant as-is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:41 PM

I have an issue..

When i pull a video from my replaytv and view it in ati file player it plays normal However when I play it in Windows Media Player, its a little slow and the voices sound like demons! i pulled another show and ttested and it did not happen again. It seems only certain shows do this. Is there a specific codec I should Install to view replaytv content on my pc?

WINXP here.

jdm
post #9 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:42 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
Forgive me if I've just missed it, but does your app or anyone else's allow for playing a show (streaming) from a real ReplayTV box on (to) a PC? It appears this does everything but that. Thanks.
I have a plugin for Xine that allows this, on Linux. I also have a modified http input stream for vlc (crossplatform) that should work or be close, but I can't get a vlc compile to work at all on MacOS X and I haven't moved it over to my Linux box to try it there, and I don't have a Windows compile system.

post #10 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er

-Gary
Ive easy to do but doesn't do that yet. I'll add it to my list of things to add. Im pretty sure replaypc does support this with one of its command line switches.

Quite why you'd want to watch it on your PC rather than the TV Im not sure about. Maybe if someone is watching the TV and you want to watch a show it has?

Jotter
post #11 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdm1979
ok, i have 1 issue.. how come when i pull a video from my replaytv and view it it plays a little slow and the voices sound like demons? i pulld another show and this did not happen. only certain shows do this???
Im pretty sure its your mpeg2 decoder. I saw some tennis like this on someone elses PC. Pretty wierd to watch and listen too. Try the elcard (?spelling?) decoder and you'll probably find no problems.

Jotter
post #12 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
What changes are you making? There seemed to have been a consensus that the 4k mpeg streams were compliant as-is.
I make *no* changes on all downloads apart from the "mpeg for PC" option. That one uses the mpeg2 header changes that the original replaypc code used, the so-called "adjusted" mpeg. I think certain mpeg2 codecs worked better on the PC with the altered header which is why I left an option in to do that. If you want the raw mpeg then every other save/import option does that.

Jotter
post #13 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 04:00 PM
jtl
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would probably need to add some functionality to the server to stream the mpeg in a more standard manner than the wierd chunked format the replays understand.
The "weird chunked format" is completely standard HTTP 1.1. The only things that I know of that might give trouble are the status code line at the very beginning of the stream, before the mpeg itself starts; that the replay itself insists on the proper User-Agent being sent; and that the mpeg streams are Program Streams (designed for local storage) rather than Transport Streams (designed for streaming).

If you make the very same request to the Replay, but as HTTP/1.0 rather than HTTP/1.1, you don't get any chunking.

post #14 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 04:09 PM

The only problems I've noticed so far are:

When you pick save to import files, the trailing backslash is not used when the new filename is constructed. So if you want to save files in the d:\
eplay directory, the actual files will get saved in the root of D:, as d:\
eplay1011491997.mpg.

Also, the import directly to the server from your replay fails, it says it cannot read the file. (Perhaps this is related to the other?)

I haven't tested the actual server portion, still importing my files.

I'm running it on Windows XP, with the MS JVM installed.

And I still think it's slicker than snot.

"All that glitters has a high refractive index."

- Because Greedo didn't fire first!
post #15 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 04:23 PM

When I run it it says 'unable to parse guide.'

If I try to add a channel I get an exception.

If I try to import a program I get an exception.

What am I doing wrong?

M

post #16 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 06:36 PM

I can't wait to get this working. I think it's going to be great. I tried importing a show directly from my replay and I got the following error:

"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

then

"Failed to copy C:\\SwapDV\\Import\\101267198.mpg to
C:\\SwapDV\\Video\\1012867198.mpg

Delete imported files 1012867198.mpg,1012867198.ndx, and 1012867198.rgd? (recommended)"

Any ideas?
post #17 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus98
When I run it it says 'unable to parse guide.'

If I try to add a channel I get an exception.

If I try to import a program I get an exception.

What am I doing wrong?

M
Where is the application getting your guide from?

SwapDV will create an empty guide if the root directory doesn't have one in. Otherwise it chooses the most up-to-date one in the root dir. Have you downloaded one using replaypc? replaypc and swapdv (optionally) saves a stripped guide (no ascii headers) which will not be parsable by the SwapDV application. I'll add it to my todo list to handle these types of guides a little more gracefully. Try remove all the .rgd files from the root directory and trying again.

Once it doesn't have a guide then any guide operations fail (obviously although I should trap that better).

Jotter
post #18 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mschoneman
I can't wait to get this working. I think it's going to be great. I tried importing a show directly from my replay and I got the following error:

"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

then

"Failed to copy C:\\SwapDV\\Import\\101267198.mpg to
C:\\SwapDV\\Video\\1012867198.mpg

Delete imported files 1012867198.mpg,1012867198.ndx, and 1012867198.rgd? (recommended)"

Any ideas?
Hmm. I'll take another look at the importing. Looks like a bug.

If you say "no" to this dialog the application will leave the three files in the Import directory. You should be able to "manually" add them to your local guide by right clicking on a channel and choosing "import show from library swap files".

Jotter
post #19 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aslagle
The only problems I've noticed so far are:

When you pick save to import files, the trailing backslash is not used when the new filename is constructed. So if you want to save files in the d:\
eplay directory, the actual files will get saved in the root of D:, as d:\
eplay1011491997.mpg.

Also, the import directly to the server from your replay fails, it says it cannot read the file. (Perhaps this is related to the other?)

I haven't tested the actual server portion, still importing my files.

I'm running it on Windows XP, with the MS JVM installed.

And I still think it's slicker than snot.
Bug fixed with the trailing slash. I'm looking into the import problem. Difficult to test at home since my wireless connection to my replay box is slllooooowwww.

Jotter
post #20 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 07:04 PM

Actually, I get the same error when I try to manually import them. Hope that helps with the debugging. If I can do anything else let me know.
post #21 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
The "weird chunked format" is completely standard HTTP 1.1. The only things that I know of that might give trouble are the status code line at the very beginning of the stream, before the mpeg itself starts; that the replay itself insists on the proper User-Agent being sent; and that the mpeg streams are Program Streams (designed for local storage) rather than Transport Streams (designed for streaming).

If you make the very same request to the Replay, but as HTTP/1.0 rather than HTTP/1.1, you don't get any chunking.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know, I'll withdraw my "wierd" comment, although (as you say) it does have the extra status code line embedded in the first chunk.

It really means my micro-web server should test to see if the http request is 1.0 or 1.1. Even then maybe a different request should probably just blast it down as a "200 ok, content-type: video/mpg" response.

Interestingly the replays themselves don't handle the streaming very well. If you have a 100 lan then its all perfect. A slightly busy 10 lan can give you stuttering video quite easily.

Jotter
post #22 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:07 PM

Note: massively editted

Quote:
Originally posted by biscuitsjam

Quote:

Answers:
(1) yes
(2) yes. I should allow you to select more than 1 file at once to import to your swapDV library
(3) hmmm. yes in theory but not currently (if your host server could manage the load). You would need something to be able to play the incoming stream (windows media player?) and I would probably need to add some functionality to the server to stream the mpeg in a more standard manner than the wierd chunked format the replays understand.
(4) yes, pretty similar to (3). You should be able to point the "client" part of the swapDV app at another swapDV library server and do that...

Jotter
So what you are saying is... This program can stream videos off it, though PC's can not currently understand the streamed video.
Quote:

Interestingly the replays themselves don't handle the streaming very well. If you have a 100 lan then its all perfect. A slightly busy 10 lan can give you stuttering video quite easily.
On high quality video, the Replay TV streams at something like 8 megabits a second. If you have a 10baseT network, you better have a good network card and no traffic. I imagine low and medium quality video works better. A 100baseT network should be able to stream 10+ shows at once without becoming bogged down.

Are you going to work on the ability for a PC to be able to watch a streamed video, or, at least download it as a whole off the server to its harddrive?

I really appreciate you spending your time developing this and then giving it back to the community.

-Biscuits
post #23 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually, I get the same error when I try to manually import them. Hope that helps with the debugging. If I can do anything else let me know.
Thanks. Worked it out. For those of you who care when filling in the pFrom and pTo parts of com.ms.win32.SHFILEOPSTRUCT you must make sure to double terminate the strings... It does say so in the docs but on some machines you don't need to ;)

New version available, get from the first post of this thread...

Jotter
post #24 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:21 PM

Jotter, this is simply awesome. I've gotten the 3 shows imported. It's really nice to have the Replay Server guide not filled with shows I haven't transferred.

I'll list all the errors I had to work around to maybe help with the troubleshooting.

1. All of the times I've tried to directly import from the replay, I've gotten the "cannot copy file from xxxxxx" error. Right now my only guess is that this is related to the trailing backslash error. If SwapDV can't find the file because it isn't where it thinks it is, It'll never be able to find it.

2. On a very large file (2 hour, high quality movie, "Babylon 5 - Legend of the Rangers", 3.60 GB) I could not get SwapDV to copy the file at all - I tried direct import, then save import files. It kept on giving "Could not copy entire file" errors. (I finally relented and copied the mpeg using the replaypc command line utility. After I did that, I could import the file manually.)

3. The server log is blank. Of course, this could just be a good sign. :) It would be nice if all of the messages you were giving us in the YARS would be listed in the log. (Just a suggestion, but following the format of the MS logs in that errors get a different icon than normal messages would be nice.)

Now for my wish list:

It would be great if this program had some way to recover from a power failure/computer reboot problem. I currently plan on running this application on a computer connected to a ups, but sometimes they run out of power. Also, it would be nice if I would not have to log into the computer to do this. A good solution to this is to have the server portion of the program run as a service. This would remove the requirement to be logged in, and allow the server to 'start itself' after a reboot.

A friend of mine said there is a program that will allow you to make a program into a service, I'll try to get more information on that for you.

If running as a service isn't possible, then maybe an option to start the server immediately on program load would be nice. (That way you'd still have to log on, but you could use tweakui to handle logon automatically, and put SwapDV in the startup group.)

Once again, I don't want you to think that I'm not extremely happy with SwapDV and your work. This is so far beyond what I had hoped for when I bought my 4K. :D You da man!

post #25 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:26 PM

Note: I massively editted my previously post but was a little late hitting the save changes button.

Quote:

2. On a very large file (2 hour, high quality movie, "Babylon 5 - Legend of the Rangers", 3.60 GB) I could not get SwapDV to copy the file at all - I tried direct import, then save import files. It kept on giving "Could not copy entire file" errors. (I finally relented and copied the mpeg using the replaypc command line utility. After I did that, I could import the file manually.)
There is a limit of 4 gigabytes or thereabouts in filesize for FAT32 (used by win9x and some win2k). The file is under 4 gigs, but maybe this is somehow related... On the other hand, I suspect some people might disagree with you on whether this is a "high quality movie" :)
Quote:

It would be great if this program had some way to recover from a power failure/computer reboot problem. I currently plan on running this application on a computer connected to a ups, but sometimes they run out of power. Also, it would be nice if I would not have to log into the computer to do this. A good solution to this is to have the server portion of the program run as a service. This would remove the requirement to be logged in, and allow the server to 'start itself' after a reboot.

A friend of mine said there is a program that will allow you to make a program into a service, I'll try to get more information on that for you.

If running as a service isn't possible, then maybe an option to start the server immediately on program load would be nice. (That way you'd still have to log on, but you could use tweakui to handle logon automatically, and put SwapDV in the startup group.)
Woot! I would also be a great fan of that feature.

-Biscuits
post #26 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:48 PM

A couple of issues:

I shut down the program and lost my guide contents. Would it be possible to auto save when programs are added?

After I imported the shows, I deleted the original downloads because the MPGS where in the Video directory. Now that I've accidentally deleted the guide is there some way I can import the shows? I get an error about missing rgd files.

Keep up the great work!
post #27 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Biscuitsjam
There is a limit of 4 gigabytes or thereabouts in filesize for FAT32 (used by win9x and some win2k). The file is under 4 gigs, but maybe this is somehow related...
Nope, this is a WinXP box running on NTFS. No 4 gig limit here. :cool:

post #28 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quite why you'd want to watch it on your PC rather than the TV Im not sure about. Maybe if someone is watching the TV and you want to watch a show it has?
That would be it. Thanks.

-Gary

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site:
post #29 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
A couple of issues:

I shut down the program and lost my guide contents. Would it be possible to auto save when programs are added?

After I imported the shows, I deleted the original downloads because the MPGS where in the Video directory. Now that I've accidentally deleted the guide is there some way I can import the shows? I get an error about missing rgd files.

Keep up the great work!
"Save prompt before quitting" added to todo...

Would you prefer an "autosave" option instead? e.g. save on all changes straight away?

You can recover by simply grabbing the full rgd file from your replay and renaming it to the same "date" as your replay mpegs and ndxes. For example, if your mpg was called "101111111" then save a replay guide from your replay (assuming it has the show still in) as 10111111.rgd and "import" the show again.

If you have deleted the show from your replay box then its harder. Email me and I'll let you know...

Jotter
post #30 of 550 Old 02-09-2002, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jotter, this is simply awesome. I've gotten the 3 shows imported. It's really nice to have the Replay Server guide not filled with shows I haven't transferred.

I'll list all the errors I had to work around to maybe help with the troubleshooting.

1. All of the times I've tried to directly import from the replay, I've gotten the "cannot copy file from xxxxxx" error. Right now my only guess is that this is related to the trailing backslash error. If SwapDV can't find the file because it isn't where it thinks it is, It'll never be able to find it.

3. The server log is blank. Of course, this could just be a good sign. :) It would be nice if all of the messages you were giving us in the YARS would be listed in the log. (Just a suggestion, but following the format of the MS logs in that errors get a different icon than normal messages would be nice.)

Now for my wish list:

Once again, I don't want you to think that I'm not extremely happy with SwapDV and your work. This is so far beyond what I had hoped for when I bought my 4K. :D You da man!
For (1) did you get 0.12 version I reposted. Should solve that problem.

For (2) this is a problem I had with the old Yet Another Client. I'll look into it. I actually think my application is actually lying - could you compare the final file size of my attempt to transfer the babylon 5 film and replaypcs attempt and see if they are different? That would help a lot. Thanks

For the server issue. Hmmm. Harder to do with J++ programs. Id be interested in the code your friend knew of. Email jotter20022002@yahoo.com please :)

I can easily add the program as a "autostart" in the registry or the start menu - added to todo!

Thanks for the list. Very useful.

Jotter
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page