Replay TV does not show up in RTV patch 2.5.3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Linksys router on my computer, and a Linksys bridge on my Replay 5000, with the Ethernet connection. I can see both my router and the bridge on the respective web interface screens. The bridge and router all show up in the router DHCP client table. So does the ReplayTV ("RTV Borg"). I think the network connection is sound. But RTV patch fails to show the Replay TV. And DVArchive does not show it either. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

RTV Patch is for patching / makeing a drive REPLAY compatible... you have to pull the drive, and attach it to your computer....
post #3 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I understand. My Replay is 5 years old and contains irreplaceable shows which I wanted to get backed up to my computer as a precaution BEFORE the drives go out. Just to have a backup ready when the time comes I have to replace the drives. Any advice on my previous post would be greatly appreciated. Also, how large a drive can you put into a Replay 5000 successfully? Thanks.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM

I don't understand what you understand. Your subject reflects _lack_ of understanding.

DVArchive is your preferred way to copy shows off the Replay for backup. You want to get DVA working then show backups are trivial. In DVA try opening the IP-addr corresponding to your RTV. Did you do any DVA configuration?

In the future if the RTV drive actually fails then you can pull the drive, put it in your PC, and try RTVExtract to copy out shows by a commandline interface.

RTVpatch will not copy shows for backup and it doesn't work over the network. There is no fixed drive size limit, but for best outcomes, I suggest 320meg or less, with 8meg or less cache, and not all those drives will work anyway - there is a thread somewhere discussing RTV drive replacement compatibility. Or you can buy a prepared RTV backup drive on Ebay for only a little more than a naked drive.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, the company from which I bought my Replay 5000, DigitalRecorder.com's technical guy, said that RTV patch could be used to back up my RTV completely over a network to my computer, separately from the disk dying. That's where I got my information.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoe0728 View Post

Actually, the company from which I bought my Replay 5000, DigitalRecorder.com's technical guy, said that RTV patch could be used to back up my RTV completely over a network to my computer, separately from the disk dying. That's where I got my information.

Well, that's sort of technically possible, but probably not totally correct. RTVPatch only works with the ReplayTV hard drive physically attached to a PC of some sorts. And, it can backup the operating system of the ReplayTV hard drive. And, if your PC is networked, then you could technically copy that operating system backup over the network. So, in a very round about way, you could backup the operating system of a ReplayTV hard drive over the network. But, that's not what you want...

DVArchive is pretty much the best way to backup your shows from your RTV to your PC hard drive over the network. Assuming you have your RTV connected to an Ethernet network versus using dial up (or, in addition to using dial up). Of course, you would have to copy your shows regularly in order to make sure you had them all before your hard drive died...

Depending on how your hard drive died, even after you couldn't boot your RTV any longer, you might be able to use extract_rtv5 to copy the shows off your dying hard drive to a PC with the drive physically connected to the PC. Then, with a new hard drive, you would use RTVPatch to prepare the new hard drive to put in the RTV to get it back working...

You can also use RTVPatch to upgrade the size of the hard drive in your RTV. In this case it copies the operating system and all the shows and photos from a smaller hard drive to a larger hard drive while both hard drives are physically connected to a PC. This allows you to increase the storage in the RTV without losing any shows or setup...

And, just so you know, if you backup all your shows and your hard drive dies, you can't create a new hard drive for the RTV and put your shows back on it. You can easily create a new hard drive for the RTV using RTVPatch, but you'd have to leave the shows on the PC and use something like DVArchive in order to be able to watch them on your RTV...

Henry
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Henry - thank you for the complete explanation. My vendor really misled me. I will try DVArchive again and see if I can get it to send individual programs over my wireless network to my PC. Strangely, when I use the RTV natively now to record, it asks if I want to record to DVArchive. I did not think that was real-time possible... Even if the disk goes out, I will have them to watch on my PC, or to stream back to the new RTV as you described. I am a former computer support person, and do not believe in using a hard disk for 5 years with no backup! Thanks again.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

DVArchive emulates the RTV network protocol, so your RTV has no reason to think that it can't record on it. However, if you actually attempt to schedule a recording on it, then you'll find out that you can't do it (obviously). But, because DVA has to look like an RTV in order for you to be able to play show from it and for DVA to be able to "play" shows from your RTV (which is how it download shows), then the RTV thinks it can do anything to DVA that it can to any other networked RTVs...

If you're worried about your hard drive and just want to replace it, then you can use RTVPatch to copy everything over to a new hard drive so that you are replacing the aging hard drive and will still have all your shows and recordings intact. If you wait until the hard drive fails, even though you can make backups, then you'll have to reprogram all your setup and recordings and have to watch whatever shows you haven't seen through DVArchive. So, if it bothers you that much, and if you can find an RTV compatible hard drive at least the same size as your current one, then you can use RTVPatch to copy it completely and be running off a new hard drive instead. Kind of like replacing tires before they actually blow out...

Henry
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, my RTV has two hard drives. I would like to get 2 2TB drives to replace the old 250GB ones. I'm not sure where to look to see what's compatible with an RTV 5000. Secondly, instead of opening the case and attaching drives to IDE cables, I have a disk cage with spare slots where you can remove/install drives from the front of the case. Can you just put the old drives into these slots, run RTVbackup, take them out and put in the new drives, and run RTV backup again (with the proper commands to make larger drives)? Thanks for all your advice!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no RTVbackup program, only RTVPatch. If you only want to backup the OS with no shows, then that is the only way that you can hook up only the source drive and make a backup and then hook up only the destination drive and restore the backup. But, again, that only makes a backup and restore of the operating system such that the RTV will boot. although you will likely have all your settings and recording preserved. It will not have any shows on it, however...

If you want to copy a drive, then you have to install the source and destination at the same time...

BUT, two drive systems really can't be upgraded in any way. You would have to to copy them to exactly the same size drives. Two drive systems are a lot of headache and it would be best if you simply watched all your shows while there's not much going on and replaced the two drives with a one drive system...

I also don't think that there's any chance of you finding any 2TB IDE drives, much less that they would be compatible with your RTV. If you look really, really hard, you can probably find 400GB compatible drives. There are a couple threads on the subject if you search this forum. The most readily availble compatible drives currently on 160GB. There also is a thread in here somewhere about someone getting a 750GB SATA drive to work with their RTV using an IDE->SATA adapter. They also tried using two 750GB SATA drives, but couldn't get that to work...

Henry
post #11 of 13 Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Henry - to follow up on our conversation, for now it would suffice if I could get my programs to my computer with DVArchive. My network connection seems sound - I can ping both the bridge on the RTV, and the RTV itself. However, DVA does not see anything. I tried putting the router-reported IP address manually into DVA, first for the RTV, then the bridge. No luck. Any ideas? Sorry to bother you again.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Henry - to follow up on our conversation, for now it would suffice if I could get my programs to my computer with DVArchive. My network connection seems sound - I can ping both the bridge on the RTV, and the RTV itself. However, DVA does not see anything. I tried putting the router-reported IP address manually into DVA, first for the RTV, then the bridge. No luck. Any ideas? Sorry to bother you again.

I'd turn off any firewall setting first.

If that fails, then I'd simply move the RTV next to the switch, hard-wire it to the network, and set the download speed to '0', which is MAX speed. Since the RTV has no source -- it's not connected to a STB, it won't try to do anything, and you should be able to download shows as fast as possible.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #13 of 13 Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition, follow these instructions that I posted previously. You can read through that entire thread to see if it helps, but that specific post has how to pin down where your problem lies...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page