5040 won't connect to service (Ethernet) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5040 and it's never had a problem connecting to the server (via Ethernet) to download schedules. For the past week, however, it has not been able to connect, and when I force a download from the Setup screen, it tells me "There was a problem transferring information from the ReplayTV service" within a couple of seconds of starting. I've tried switching ports on the router and also rebooting the router and the ReplayTV (I even unplugged it for 15 seconds figuring maybe it needed that). It's getting an IP address (I can even ping it) so the Ethernet port is working. So I'm guessing the problem is when it is trying to get to the RTV server. Could the be a problem with the DNS? What can I do to figure out exactly what is going wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRubin View Post

I have a 5040 and it's never had a problem connecting to the server (via Ethernet) to download schedules. For the past week, however, it has not been able to connect, and when I force a download from the Setup screen, it tells me "There was a problem transferring information from the ReplayTV service" within a couple of seconds of starting. I've tried switching ports on the router and also rebooting the router and the ReplayTV (I even unplugged it for 15 seconds figuring maybe it needed that). It's getting an IP address (I can even ping it) so the Ethernet port is working. So I'm guessing the problem is when it is trying to get to the RTV server. Could the be a problem with the DNS? What can I do to figure out exactly what is going wrong?

1. Can DVArchive see yourt RTV? Can you stream shows back and forth?
2. Can your computer connect to the outside world (I would hope so, since you posted this.)
3. Are you running DHCP?
post #3 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

1. Can DVArchive see yourt RTV? Can you stream shows back and forth?
2. Can your computer connect to the outside world (I would hope so, since you posted this.)
3. Are you running DHCP?

1) Didn't try that (I can tonight) but I was able to ping it which at least shows that I can reach it.
2) Yes
3) Yes, and it's getting an address.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The easiest thing is to try entering 2-4-3-Zones on your remote to get into the special menu and select Clear Channel Guide, let it reboot, and REPEAT. After it reboots the second time, try a net connect and see if it doesn't work better...

Henry
post #5 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I will try the 243 fix. I didn't think it could fix something like this but I guess maybe stuff got messed up and needs to be refreshed.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a common solution that clearing the channel guide will fix errors net connecting, so it's worth a shot...

Henry
post #7 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Current status. Did 243 Zones, didn't solve the problem. I can access it using DVarchive, I see my programs. Because I cleared the channel guide, the machine can now no longer record anything (vs before when I had a few days left).

It's obviously getting an error as soon as it tries to open the connection to the server because it's not like it hangs and then fails. I am not sure if it's having a problem resolving the host name, or if it gets beyond that (I don't know what the order of things is). Is there a way to get a detailed error log and see exactly what it's failing on? I am connected via a Verizon FiOS router. Nothing changed between when it worked and when it stopped working.

Thanks.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Can DVArchive download the channel guide (TV Guide) data? It uses a similar mechanism as your Replay, so that would indicate if there's problems resolving the host or something else...

Henry
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Good news -- it's fixed. I decided to go into setup and try toggling between Ethernet and dialup one more time. I hadn't mentioned it, but I tried this last week when I first noticed the problem, and the result was that it would hang when trying to contact the network after setting to Ethernet (it would time out after 2 minutes). That was before I tried resetting the router and RTV. So maybe it left the Ethernet setup in a state that future connects would not work. This time it was able to complete the Ethernet settings, and when I tried to connect to the network after that, it worked.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

So, I came back to report that it was failing again. However, I just checked and lo and behold, after almost a week of failures, the problem went away and it's now connecting again. What could be causing errors like this, especially now that I see it went away, seemingly on its own? Could it be a router issue? DVArchive *was* able to connect to the unit while the problem was occurring (I checked this time).
post #11 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Try changing the DNS server setting in your network setup of the RTV. You might have been on the right track in your first post.

- A

It's true - I read it somewhere. I wrote it down, and then I read it.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Next time your unit is having this problem (hopefully won't happen), try seeing if DVArchive can download a channel guide...

You can try rebooting the unit again even though that didn't help last time...

You could try changing your Ethernet connection cables...

You could try changing Ethernet switch ports...

The fact that you have network connectivity to the unit during the problem would seem to indicate that the network connection is OK, although I don't know how you are connected between your PC and the RTV. If possible you could try plugging your PC into the RTV Ethernet cord and then see if DVA can download a channel guide...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page