ReplayTV stuck on "Please Wait" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found my Replay 5040 is stuck on the first "Please Wait..." screen. My setup is a dual drive upgrade using two Western Digital 200GB that has been functioning great since 2004. I have about 200 hours of shows stored on the RTV.

Tried the following with no success:
  • Did a soft reset.
  • Did a hard reset with all cables unplugged except the output RCA video cable from RTV to TV. I can hear both the drives starting up and spinning.
  • Opened the unit and it had lot of dust. Cleaned it fully with compressed air including the fan and the vents. (Had cleaned the unit previously about 1-2 years ago.)
  • Disconnected both the drives and hooked it to the PC. Both the drives are visible as '1' and '2' when you choose dual-upgrade in the RTV_Patch GUI. [Are there any tests that I can run on these drives to verify if they are okay?]
  • Removed the two drives and replaced it with a single original Quantum drive that came with the RTV. Made sure that the jumper is set to Master.
  • Replaced the IDE cable with a new cable.
  • Unplugged the power supply plug inside the RTV and inspected for discoloration of the pins or for any brown patches on the outside of the two plugs. Found nothing.

Any suggestion to diagnose this problem? Also if the old drives are okay, how do I retrieve the old shows either to use it from DVA or move it to another RTV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did you try the combination of the original drive (Quantum in a 5000 seems unusual) WITH a new IDE cable? Do you know that the original drive is functional and should boot?

You can use RTVPatch on drive 1 to Backup Source Drive to see if the system is readable from drive 1 with no errors...

You can use extract_rtv5 with the -v option and -p1 and then -p2 options to verify the system and show files...

You can use extract_rtv5 to extract all your shows into a directory for DVA. It supports dual drives just fine. Instructions are basically here except that you obviously have to hook up both hard drives simultaneously when you are extracting the shows (you can still use the CD/DVD connection, but connect both drives jumpered as they were in the unit)...

Henry
post #3 of 53 Old 10-05-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

You are right. The Quantum drive is not from my RTV 5000. It belonged to my old Panasonic Showstopper when I pulled the OEM Quantum 20GB drive. I have misplaced the RTV 5000 drives that I pulled and cannot seem to find it.

I connected the dual drives pulled from the RTV to a Vista PC using a PCI IDE controller card. The jumpers on the drives is the same Master and Slave on the PC as on the RTV. I can see the RTV1 and RTV2 using the RTVPatch GUI.

However, when I run:

> extract_rtv5 -p1 -v
Didn't detect any ReplayTV drives connected to the system

> extract_rtv5 \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 -v
Unable to open drive image file: No error

I am using extract_rtv5.exe from extract_rtv_79.zip.
Tried PhysicalDrive2 and PhysicalDrive3 and I see the same message.

Below is the log from RTVPatch.

0) WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 - (250 GB) - May be PC Disk
1) WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0 - (160 GB) - May be PC Disk
2) WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0 - (200 GB) - RTV4000 Disk 1 of 2
3) WDC WD2000JB-32FUA0 - (200 GB) - RTV4000 Disk 2 of 2

Source: Select a drive from the list and click 'Set'
Target: Select a drive from the list and click 'Set'

RTVPatch version 2.4, built on Jan 19 2003, 12:54:57
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 (WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0) : Used WinXP drive size detection
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0 (WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0) : Detected size = 488397168 sectors
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0) : Used WinXP drive size detection
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive1 (WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0) : Detected size = 312500000 sectors
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0) : Used WinXP drive size detection
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0) : Detected size = 390721968 sectors
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3 (WDC WD2000JB-32FUA0) : Used WinXP drive size detection
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3 (WDC WD2000JB-32FUA0) : Detected size = 390721968 sectors

I tried backing up using RTVPatch. I connected both the drives to the PC as master and slave and chose "Dual Drive System" in RTV Patch, selected the master drive as Drive 1 and the slave drive as Drive 2, and clicked on button "Backup Source Drive". I gave a file name 'RTV Drive Dual Drive Backup' and it created a .rtv file and below is the log:

Copy from source '\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2' at offset 0
Copy to destination 'G:\\ReplayTV Backup\\RTV Drive Dual Drive Backup.rtv' at offset 0
Copying 1034242 blocks (505MB)
*** Backup complete

Given the above information, what is the best way to migrate from my current dual drive system to a new dual drive system? I have a couple of fresh new 250GB hard drives I can use, and I would like to copy as many shows as I can from my old dual drive to the new dual drive.

From this page, should I try the following:
When going from an existing two drive system to a single drive or new two drive system, you must first patch the original drive 1 to become a single drive system. Using RTVPatch, set the original drive 1 as the target, make sure "Single-drive system" is checked, then choose "Patch Target Drive", then exit. That's really all there is to it. Any shows that exist on the original second drive cannot be transferred to the new drive(s). Then you can use the single drive to copy to a new single drive system, (or, for a new two drive system, copy as a single drive, verify it boots, then patch the new drive with the new second drive to make a new two drive system). You could use extract_rtv to recover the shows from the original second drive to a computer and then either burn them to DVD or, with 4XXX and 5XXX series ReplayTVs, use DVArchive to stream them back the ReplayTV. RTVPatch cannot copy a 2 drive system and all recorded shows to a new 2 drive system or new larger drive.
post #4 of 53 Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFan View Post

You are right. The Quantum drive is not from my RTV 5000. It belonged to my old Panasonic Showstopper when I pulled the OEM Quantum 20GB drive. I have misplaced the RTV 5000 drives that I pulled and cannot seem to find it.

Well, that certainly explains your 5K not booting with that Quantum drive, then! You might want to find something to test in that 5000 to make sure what the problem is...

Quote:

I connected the dual drives pulled from the RTV to a Vista PC using a PCI IDE controller card. The jumpers on the drives is the same Master and Slave on the PC as on the RTV. I can see the RTV1 and RTV2 using the RTVPatch GUI.

However, when I run:

> extract_rtv5 -p1 -v

Unable to open drive image file: No error

Someone else had that exact same problem and they were running on Vista as well. I made a test extract_rtv5 to try to track it down. If you have an email address, I can email it to you and you can try it as well...

Henry
post #5 of 53 Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Someone else had that exact same problem and they were running on Vista as well. I made a test extract_rtv5 to try to track it down. If you have an email address, I can email it to you and you can try it as well...

Henry

I sent you my email address by PM.
post #6 of 53 Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the following in Vista:

Right-click the extract_rtv5.exe file and chose Properties.... From the compatability tab, I chose "Run this program in compatability mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" and selected "Run this program as an administrator".

In the command window, I entered "extract_rtv5.exe -p2 -e", and it opened a new DOS window, and started extracting the files. It did about 20 files, and then it hung up at a file at 5% completion. Could not kill the DOS window nor I was able to kill the extract_rtv5 process from the Task Manager. I had to restart the machine.
post #7 of 53 Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

That's some interesting information! Especially the part about it launching another command prompt from the existing command prompt! Hopefully we can find out more information from my test program...

Henry
post #8 of 53 Old 10-06-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I got your two files built for Vista. Unzipped it and renamed the file extension and in the DOS window did the following:

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p2 -v

Unable to open drive image file: Input/output error
Next, I tried the same thing with your new file and set the compatability to Windows XP, and ran "extract_rtv5.exe -p2 -e", and it got hung up at the same file number with 5% completion. I don't know the file name but from the DOS window I counted the number of files that it completed before it got stuck.

I also tried the following:
Downloaded a factory RTV image, and using the RTVPatch installed this image on a brand new hard drive. I put it in the ReplayTV box, and it booted okay and I was able to go to the Replay Guide after it went through the Quick Setup. This means the problem lies somewhere in my old two drives.

I am wondering if I should redo the dual drive setup with two new drives and transfer only the shows from drive 1 using the method described before:

...patch the original drive 1 to become a single drive system. Using RTVPatch, set the original drive 1 as the target, make sure "Single-drive system" is checked, then choose "Patch Target Drive", then exit. Any shows that exist on the original second drive cannot be transferred to the new drive(s).

Then you can use the single drive to copy to a new single drive system, (or, for a new two drive system, copy as a single drive, verify it boots, then patch the new drive with the new second drive to make a new two drive system)...
post #9 of 53 Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

If your system isn't booting (stuck on Please Wait...), then your 1st drive is useless because that's what it boots off of. If it got all the way booted to the Replay menu and then rebooted, that would indicate a problem with the 2nd drive and you could do as you are proposing and just copy the 1st drive to a new drive and run it as a single drive system. Without copying over from a bootable 1st drive, you won't end up with any shows when you are done...

Thanks for the experiments! I'm trying to find out more about Vista permissions. It may take some other kind of admin permissions to get it to work...

When you say file number, are you talking about the 10-digit file name? I don't think that it displays a file number. You can use "extract_rtv5 -d" to see the show names for the 10-digit file name...

When you run it as an XP app, does it find the drive(s) all by itself or do you still have to specify them on the command line? Do you have any idea which drive it is getting hung up on?

Henry
post #10 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you say file number, are you talking about the 10-digit file name? I don't think that it displays a file number. You can use "extract_rtv5 -d" to see the show names for the 10-digit file name...

Sorry I should have said file count (not number.) When it is extracting, the DOS window does not show the file names or numbers; it just shows the last file completed with the size in bytes. I counted the number of files it completed and the last completed file size from the DOS window before it hung up. The file where it freezes, it matches with the old extract_rtv5 and your new test file.

Quote:

When you run it as an XP app, does it find the drive(s) all by itself or do you still have to specify them on the command line? Do you have any idea which drive it is getting hung up on?

When I run the test file as an XP app and submit "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v", it launches a new DOS window and I see the following with some numbers fast scrolling with some file names next to the "Scan" string below (the new launched window does not stay when it is done):

Code:
This looks like a ReplayTV4000 or 5000 series drive!
Enabling the byte-reversing code
ReplayTV drive detected: \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2
Secondary ReplayTV drive detected: \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3
Scan
When I run the test file as an XP app and submit "extract_rtv5 -v", it launches a new DOS window and I see the following:
Code:

Partition    Type         Start         Length
1            0x4d             2        1024000
2            0x4d       1024002      770654300
3            0x4d     771678302        9765632
4            0x00             0              0

Select partition:
post #11 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I should have said file count (not number.) When it is extracting, the DOS window does not show the file names or numbers; it just shows the last file completed with the size in bytes. I counted the number of files it completed and the last completed file size from the DOS window before it hung up. The file where it freezes, it matches with the old extract_rtv5 and your new test file.

Maybe you should post the print screen shot as you have with the other tests. I don't see a case where it shows the size, only the percentage complete...

You could try running "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv" to see if that completes. Although, it probably won't be any different than your already running the same command with -v...

I have a feeling it is having a problem reading the disk for that file. Although, it should get an error and go on or exit or something. Maybe you just need to leave it a long time...

Henry
post #12 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If your system isn't booting (stuck on Please Wait...), then your 1st drive is useless because that's what it boots off of. If it got all the way booted to the Replay menu and then rebooted, that would indicate a problem with the 2nd drive and you could do as you are proposing and just copy the 1st drive to a new drive and run it as a single drive system. Without copying over from a bootable 1st drive, you won't end up with any shows when you are done.

I wanted to experiment copying the drive 1 to a new drive and see if it boots up. My question is, by patching the old drive 1 as a single drive in order to copy to a new drive, am I causing an irreversible process to the old drive 1 where I can no longer run an extract_rtv5 command on it to extract the old shows? In case my experiment fails, I am not sure if I can undo the patching of old drive 1 to revert to the dual drive system so that I can tinker with the extract process.

Quote:

Maybe you should post the print screen shot as you have with the other tests. I don't see a case where it shows the size, only the percentage complete...

You could try running "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv" to see if that completes. Although, it probably won't be any different than your already running the same command with -v...

I have a feeling it is having a problem reading the disk for that file. Although, it should get an error and go on or exit or something. Maybe you just need to leave it a long time...

I will post the trace later tonight for "extract_rtv5 -p2 -e". The DOS window shows the completed file size in bytes and the amount of seconds it took to complete it. When it hung up on a file, the first time I waited for a very long time and then powered off the machine since it was not responding to killing the process. The second time, I left it long enough till I got the Windows blue screen of death.
post #13 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to experiment copying the drive 1 to a new drive and see if it boots up. My question is, by patching the old drive 1 as a single drive in order to copy to a new drive, am I causing an irreversible process to the old drive 1 where I can no longer run an extract_rtv5 command on it to extract the old shows? In case my experiment fails, I am not sure if I can undo the patching of old drive 1 to revert to the dual drive system so that I can tinker with the extract process.

You don't need to change anything about the first drive and you can just copy it to another drive. RTVPatch will probably give you a warning that it only found the first drive of a two drive system, but I think it will still allow you to copy that drive to a new drive...

Quote:

I will post the trace later tonight for "extract_rtv5 -p2 -e". The DOS window shows the completed file size in bytes and the amount of seconds it took to complete it. When it hung up on a file, the first time I waited for a very long time and then powered off the machine since it was not responding to killing the process. The second time, I left it long enough till I got the Windows blue screen of death.

Oh, I get you now! Yes, the message that displays the time to extract also says how many bytes were copied. And, it stomps on the file being copied, so I'm not sure how much of the file name would be left. The file extract has to take more than 10 seconds for this extra message to be displayed, so it probably isn't actually showing you the number of files. The .ndx and .evt files are fairly small, so they wouldn't have this extra message. However, the 5% message should have the file name following it, so you should be able to tell which file it is trying to extract at that point in time...

Henry
post #14 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, I get you now! Yes, the message that displays the time to extract also says how many bytes were copied. And, it stomps on the file being copied, so I'm not sure how much of the file name would be left. The file extract has to take more than 10 seconds for this extra message to be displayed, so it probably isn't actually showing you the number of files. The .ndx and .evt files are fairly small, so they wouldn't have this extra message. However, the 5% message should have the file name following it, so you should be able to tell which file it is trying to extract at that point in time...

No, the extract process does not show the file name. While the extract is in progress, it shows the percentage completed and the final size (in bytes) of the file that it is currently working on.
post #15 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the extract process does not show the file name. While the extract is in progress, it shows the percentage completed and the final size (in bytes) of the file that it is currently working on.

That doesn't make sense because the flow of the program is to display "Scan: " and then it overwrites the word "Scan:" with "#%". So, the file name should always be displaying while the file is extracting...

Watch it again while it is extracting the previous files and see if the file name isn't showing while the percentage number is climbing. Maybe it's just on this file that's causing the problem that something is happening that is overwritting the file name. Or, maybe there's something wrong with the file name? Try the "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv" to see if you can pin down which file it is on (something that is large after the last file that it successfully extracted) and see if there is something funny about the file name or file properties...

Henry
post #16 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I will try it tonight when I go home and report back what I find.

When I do the "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v", it launches a new DOS window and it does not stay for too long to check the messages. I tried to pipe the output to a text file but it did not work. Any suggestion to to trap the messages and the output when I do "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv"?

Thanks!!
post #17 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I do the "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v", it launches a new DOS window and it does not stay for too long to check the messages. I tried to pipe the output to a text file but it did not work. Any suggestion to to trap the messages and the output when I do "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv"?

Since I don't have access to Vista, I've been shooting in the dark with all of this. However, now that I know that you are getting error 5 with the test extract_rtv5, I see that is one of the problems caused by UAC. I meant to post last time, but it looks like you only need "run as admin", so try turning off the XP compatibility. I don't know what is causing it to launch in another window. Maybe you should create a new command prompt and mark this new command prompt as run as admin and then try running extract_rtv5 in this new command pompt...

To pipe the output, did you use something like "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v >output.txt 2>&1"? Most of the output is to stderr (2), so if you didn't pipe it as well, then that's probably why you didn't get anything. Using the -l option outputs to stdout (1), so it will probably work better...

Henry
post #18 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I will try the UAC settings like you suggested and let you know.

To pipe the output, I was doing "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v > output.txt". I will now try your suggestion.

Thanks.
post #19 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will try the UAC settings like you suggested and let you know.

From what I've read, I believe you can also turn off UAC and see how that works. Maybe that will allow extract_rtv5 to operate normally and not launch in a new window...

Quote:

To pipe the output, I was doing "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v > output.txt". I will now try your suggestion.

Ah, yes, since using the -v option outputs mainly to stderr (2), you wouldn't catch any output that way. In that case you could have used "extract_rtv5 -p2 -v 2> output.txt" to capture the output. Using ">xyz 2>&1" catches everything to xyz. Or, you could use ">xyz 2>abc" to capture stdout to xyz and stderr to abc...

Henry
post #20 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what I did:

Used the extract_rtv5.exe from the SourceForge downloaded extract_rtv_79.zip (did not use any of the test version files that you built for Vista). Did not change any Win XP or adminstrator setting on the .exe file. Ran the command prompt window in Vista using "Run as adminstrator". Now when I do "extract_rtv5 -p1 -v", it runs okay in the original DOS window without launching another DOS window.

Below are the results:

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p1 -v

This looks like a ReplayTV 4000 or 5000 series drive!
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13045
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13046
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 12887
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 12888
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels/1253379066.FiledA
rray.backup): 12889
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13004kup
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13005
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels/1249597827.FiledA
rray): 13010
Scan: ./sys1/Platform/McKinley/Modules/IFrontPanel.out
Filesystem integrity check complete.
Code:
 > extract_rtv5 -p2 -v

Scan: ./1252130397.evt
From the output below I can see now that it is stuck at 1246928397.mpg. However when I do "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv", I do not find the file 1246928397.mpg.
Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p2 -e
Extracted 456712704 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80594e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 890606080 bytes in 25 seconds (3.56242e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453527552 bytes in 12 seconds (3.7794e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453025792 bytes in 12 seconds (3.77521e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 455299072 bytes in 19 seconds (2.39631e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453836288 bytes in 12 seconds (3.78197e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 889450496 bytes in 32 seconds (2.77953e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 888621056 bytes in 35 seconds (2.53892e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 456952832 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80794e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 889664000 bytes in 24 seconds (3.70693e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 450335744 bytes in 12 seconds (3.7528e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 1745811456 bytes in 89 seconds (1.96159e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 454113280 bytes in 12 seconds (3.78428e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 456490496 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80409e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 452887040 bytes in 18 seconds (2.51604e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 452697600 bytes in 12 seconds (3.77248e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 454536192 bytes in 15 seconds (3.03024e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 1754150912 bytes in 63 seconds (2.78437e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 875165184 bytes in 23 seconds (3.80507e+007 bytes/second)
5%  : ./1246928397.mpg
post #21 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot restart or shut down the machine. Had to power off and back on. I had some trouble recognizing the drives (probably the PCI-IDE controller problem) when I restarted. To see if the drives are available, I opened the Windows Disk Managment console. I am not sure if I clicked OK or Cancel on a dialog that popped up and asked if I want to initialize the disks. I am guessing I may have initialized (not formatted) the two RTV disks.

Now I get the following (oh no!!):

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p1-v
ReplayTV drive detected: \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive4

> extract_rtv5 -p2 -v
ERROR: Number of sectors (185023438) * 512 is less than clusters*clustersectors
(47079 * 2097152)
Is there a way to unintialize the disks?
post #22 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is what I did:

Used the extract_rtv5.exe from the SourceForge downloaded extract_rtv_79.zip (did not use any of the test version files that you built for Vista). Did not change any Win XP or adminstrator setting on the .exe file. Ran the command prompt window in Vista using "Run as adminstrator". Now when I do "extract_rtv5 -p1 -v", it runs okay in the original DOS window without launching another DOS window.

That's great! By the way, the test version I built is not for Vista per se. It is just an ordinary Windows app that I was hoping would provide some better information...

Quote:

Below are the results:

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p1 -v

Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13045
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13046
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 12887
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 12888
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels/1253379066.FiledA
rray.backup): 12889
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13004kup
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels): 13005
Crosslinked cluster in (./user/ReplayChannels/5/ReplayChannels/1249597827.FiledA
rray): 13010
Scan: ./sys1/Platform/McKinley/Modules/IFrontPanel.out

So, now you can see why the Replay can't boot!

Quote:

Code:
 > extract_rtv5 -p2 -v

Looks like the MPEG partition is in good shape!

Quote:

From the output below I can see now that it is stuck at 1246928397.mpg. However when I do "extract_rtv5 -p2 -lv", I do not find the file 1246928397.mpg.
Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p2 -e
Extracted 456712704 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80594e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 890606080 bytes in 25 seconds (3.56242e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453527552 bytes in 12 seconds (3.7794e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453025792 bytes in 12 seconds (3.77521e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 455299072 bytes in 19 seconds (2.39631e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 453836288 bytes in 12 seconds (3.78197e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 889450496 bytes in 32 seconds (2.77953e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 888621056 bytes in 35 seconds (2.53892e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 456952832 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80794e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 889664000 bytes in 24 seconds (3.70693e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 450335744 bytes in 12 seconds (3.7528e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 1745811456 bytes in 89 seconds (1.96159e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 454113280 bytes in 12 seconds (3.78428e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 456490496 bytes in 12 seconds (3.80409e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 452887040 bytes in 18 seconds (2.51604e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 452697600 bytes in 12 seconds (3.77248e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 454536192 bytes in 15 seconds (3.03024e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 1754150912 bytes in 63 seconds (2.78437e+007 bytes/second)
Extracted 875165184 bytes in 23 seconds (3.80507e+007 bytes/second)
5%  : ./1246928397.mpg

That's interesting about -lv not showing that file, although it doesn't seem possible. Maybe you didn't look closely enough? Anyway, you can use the -l option (without the 'v') to get the list of files so that you can create a batch file to simply extract the files one by one instead, skipping over this particular file...

Henry
post #23 of 53 Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cannot restart or shut down the machine. Had to power off and back on. I had some trouble recognizing the drives (probably the PCI-IDE controller problem) when I restarted. To see if the drives are available, I opened the Windows Disk Managment console. I am not sure if I clicked OK or Cancel on a dialog that popped up and asked if I want to initialize the disks. I am guessing I may have initialized (not formatted) the two RTV disks.

Now I get the following (oh no!!):

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p1-v

> extract_rtv5 -p2 -v
ERROR: Number of sectors (185023438) * 512 is less than clusters*clustersectors
(47079 * 2097152)
Is there a way to unintialize the disks?

That's really, really bad! Which drive did you run Windows Management on? And, how did the drive name change since last time you ran it?

You were SO close! I'll have to look at the RTVPatch code to see if there's a way for you to just patch the drives back (since I'm assuming that you used RTVPatch on them originally to create the two-drive system). There's a documented way to get them back to being RTV drives, but it's not for Windows, it's for Unix.

Give me a chance to look at the RTVPatch code tomorrow. Unless you have access to a Unix system, that is probably going to be the best way to go...

Henry
post #24 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's really, really bad! Which drive did you run Windows Management on? And, how did the drive name change since last time you ran it?

You were SO close! I'll have to look at the RTVPatch code to see if there's a way for you to just patch the drives back (since I'm assuming that you used RTVPatch on them originally to create the two-drive system). There's a documented way to get them back to being RTV drives, but it's not for Windows, it's for Unix.

Give me a chance to look at the RTVPatch code tomorrow. Unless you have access to a Unix system, that is probably going to be the best way to go...

Henry

I think I clicked okay in the dialog for both the drives The drive name changed because I mounted a new drive between startups; this new drive was a seperate test I was trying to see if I can take a backup image from a dual-drive (without patching) and mapping it to a new single-drive setup. By the way, the test did not work; perhaps I have to patch up before downloading the image from the dual-drive.

Yes I think I used RTVPatch originally in 2004 to make the dual-drive system. After you study the RTVPatch code please let me know if there is a way around to make these drives back as RTV drives. I really appreciate your help. If it can be done on Linux, can I bootup my machine using a Linux bootup CD?

I was so frustrated after my error, I went ahead and built a new dual-drive setup using two new drives and using a factory RTV image. I installed these new drives and it seems to be running fine.

Now only if I can extract the mpegs, I can DVA it to my Replay.
post #25 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I clicked okay in the dialog for both the drives The drive name changed because I mounted a new drive between startups; this new drive was a seperate test I was trying to see if I can take a backup image from a dual-drive (without patching) and mapping it to a new single-drive setup. By the way, the test did not work; perhaps I have to patch up before downloading the image from the dual-drive.

Yes I think I used RTVPatch originally in 2004 to make the dual-drive system. After you study the RTVPatch code please let me know if there is a way around to make these drives back as RTV drives. I really appreciate your help. If it can be done on Linux, can I bootup my machine using a Linux bootup CD?

I was so frustrated after my error, I went ahead and built a new dual-drive setup using two new drives and using a factory RTV image. I installed these new drives and it seems to be running fine.

Now only if I can extract the mpegs, I can DVA it to my Replay.

I looked at the RTVPatch code, and there is no way that it will operate on that drive, now...

I can't see how it would matter how you got Linux running. Then you'd want to follow FlipFlop's instructions archived here for the first drive only...

I'm not sure what the total ramifications of trying to repair a dual drive system will be. If you let Windows Disk Management change the second drive, you might still have a problem after repairing the first drive. If so, then I'll have to do some more research on how to repair the second drive...

Good luck!

Henry
post #26 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post

If you have a drive image available, the easiest solution is to dd the 1st 2 sectors (1024 bytes) from a drive image file (or another replaytv drive) onto the disk, and then patch without reformatting the MPEG partition. As long as only the partition table was mangled, this will restore the disk to its original state.

I will try to "dd" the first two sectors for the drive 1 using FlipFlop's instructions from that thread. Can I do the same for drive 2 (since that drive was also mangled by Windows Disk Management) and then patch both the drives together as a dual-drive system using RTVPatch on Linux?
post #27 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can I do the same for drive 2 (since that drive was also mangled by Windows Disk Management) and then patch both the drives together as a dual-drive system using RTVPatch on Linux?

NO! That would make the second drive into another one drive system and RTVPatch would tell you that you have too many drives attached. That's why I said that if RTVPatch isn't happy after you fix the 1st drive, then I'll have to do some more research on how you make a second drive. The problem will be that I don't have a second drive partition table to go off of to figure out what it should be, so I don't know how to put it back...

So, we'll just have to keep your fingers crossed that either you didn't actually allow Windows Disk Management to touch the second drive, or that RTVPatch will be happy with your repairing just the first drive...

Henry
post #28 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will try to "dd" the first two sectors for the drive 1 using FlipFlop's instructions from that thread. Can I do the same for drive 2 (since that drive was also mangled by Windows Disk Management) and then patch both the drives together as a dual-drive system using RTVPatch on Linux?

OK, I've looked at the source for RTVPatch for a dual drive, and I think if you simply "fix" drive 1 then you should be able to get back to where you were...

After you "fix" drive 1, you should hook both drives up and run RTVPatch. You'll see right away if drive 2 has been changed to a Windows drive or not. So, you'll select drive 1 as the first drive and then you'll select drive 2 as the second drive. If drive 2 is no longer an RTV drive, you get a warning, to which you can answer Yes. Now you are ready to patch the drives, so click on Make 2 Drive System. If drive 2 is no longer an RTV drive, you'll get another warning to which you should answer Yes. You should then get a message something like this:

Code:
This will attempt to create a 2 drive system
where  (, ###GB) is the first drive
and  (, ###GB) is the second drive.
And, you can check that the sizes are listed correctly. You should then answer Yes.

Finally, following FlipFlop's instructions, you should answer Yes that you want to preserve the shows on the MPEG partition. You can go ahead and answer Yes that you want to preserve the pictures on the Photo partition just to be safe (it probably doesn't matter). And, then you should be done!

Henry
post #29 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I downloaded the Linux CD boot iso from SourceForge here under RTVPatch > linux-cd-image > linux-cd-image-2.5.5d.iso. Used a spare PC and disconnected all the hard drives (just to be safe.) I used the primary IDE and connected a working RTV drive (that I just downloaded the factory image to a new drive) to master and the old drive 1 as a slave. (Flip-flop suggested to use the secondary IDE in his post.)

Booted up using the Linux boot CD, and submitted the following:

Code:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=512 count=2
I get the following message:

Code:
dd: opening '/dev/hdd': No such device or address
Since I am using the primary IDE, I checked the models using cat /proc/ide/hda/model and verified the working RTV drive is hda and corrupt drive is hdb. Below is the output from the command that I submitted:

Code:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=2

2+0 records in
2+0 records out
I disconnect the drives, and installed the old drive 1 and 2 on the Vista PC. When I run RTVPatch, I do not see the two 200GB RTV drives listed. From the log below it appears that it is unable to read the partition table:

Code:
0) WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 - (250 GB) - May be PC Disk
1) WDC WD1600JD-75HBC0 - (160 GB) - May be PC Disk

\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0) : Unable to read partition table
\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3 (WDC WD2000JB-32FUA0) : Unable to read partition table
Tried to run the "extract_rtv5 -p1 -v" and the process kept on running until it froze. Restarted the machine and opened RTVPatch and I am able to see the Drive 1 as a RTV drive. It says "RTV 4000 Disk, NEEDS to BE PATCHED" and the drive 2 shows a "?" and "Not a ReplayTV Disk". Selected "Dual-drive System", drive 1 as Source and drive 2 as Target. Hit "make 2-drive system", chose "no" for reset mpeg partition, and "no" to reformat photo partition. It went through fine with the final message "Patch Complete". See log below:

Code:
Source: 2) WDC WD2000JB-00DUA0 - ( 200GB ) - ReplayTV Disk, NEEDS TO BE PATCHED
Target: 3) WDC WD2000JB-32FUA0 - ( 200GB ) - NOT a ReplayTV Disk

***** ADDING SECOND DRIVE               *****

***** Clearing partition table on drive \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3...
***** Writing volume sequence block on drive \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2...
***** Writing volume sequence block on drive \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3...
***** PATCHING DISK                     *****

Disk 1 of 2 is \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive2 (390721968 sectors)
   Disk 2 of 2 is \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive3 (390721968 sectors)
***** Patching partition block...
  Enabling RTV4000 byteswapping functions
  Original partition table values:
    Partition 1, type 0x4d, start: 2, length: 1024000
    Partition 2, type 0x4d, start: 1024002, length: 194784974
    Partition 3, type 0x4d, start: 195808976, length: 4096
    Partition 4, type 0x00, start: 0, length: 0
  Changing partition 3 start sector to 781439838 (0x2e93d35e)
  Photo partition size will be 4096 blocks (2MB)
  Partition 2 will be 780415836 (0x2e84335c) blocks.

Partition 2 cluster size was 2097152 bytes.
***** Reading signature and FAT blocks...
***** Patching signature and FAT blocks...
  Number of clusters is 0x2e843.
  CRC is 0x6cc8
  XOR byte is 0x3c
***** PATCH COMPLETE                    *****
Patch complete
Did a extract_rtv5 and below is the output:

Code:
> extract_rtv5 -p2 -v

> extract_rtv5 -p1 -v

Invalid cluster in (Superblock): 0
Warning: Tried to read cluster 1, but the limit is 0
Superblock has an invalid endptr: 0x00000000
Invalid superblock sector.
When I do "extract_rtv5 -p1 -lv", it hogs all the memory and the machine freezes up and I have to restart the PC. Tried "extract_rtv5 -p2 -e", it extracted the first file sucessfully and got hung up at the second file at 36%. Had to restart the machine. In fact, the last time before the "dd", I was able to extract the same file.

So how do I run the extraction process in a batch mode by specifying the file names? First do "extract_rtv5 -p2 -l" and then record the file names in a new text file. Next what should I do?
post #30 of 53 Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

they are use ful
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page