IR Codes for ComcastThomson DTA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-17-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heya,

I am going through the Comcast digital TV "upgrade" with my ReplayTV 45xx setup. I went the route of getting the free DTA. I was hoping I'd get one of the Pace DC50X models, install the custom RIDs, and be in good shape.

Unfortunately the DTA I received was a Thomson DCI1011. I could not find any working codes for it, including the Thomson code listed in the Replay unit.

The closest documentation I could find online is here, which is for the DCI104. It's remote format is listed as Remote control protocol XMP1 (Universal Electronics) for what it's worth.

If anyone's received this and has a code for it that'd be great, or any tips really. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletcake View Post

...I am going through the Comcast digital TV "upgrade" with my ReplayTV 45xx setup. I went the route of getting the free DTA. I was hoping I'd get one of the Pace DC50X models, install the custom RIDs, and be in good shape.

Unfortunately the DTA I received was a Thomson DCI1011. I could not find any working codes for it, including the Thomson code listed in the Replay unit

WHAT A BUMMER!

I can certainly feel your pain, planning on a route to success and then getting left out in the cold.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. Have you exhausted *ALL* efforts to get a Pace DC50X?
    • Inquired at your LOCAL Comcast office?
    • Inquired at other Comcast offices in your COUNTY/STATE?
    • Contacted Comcast 'Central' (via telephone and/or Comcast.Com)?
  2. JP-1 Forum lists RID:
    • DOWNLOAD the RID from the JP-1 Forum
    • Using the FlipFlop RxLinux ISO CD or WiRNS, install the RID on your ReplayTV.
  3. JP-1 Forum doesn't list RID:
    • PURCHASE a Learning Remote with a JP-1 (6-pin) interface
    • PURCHASE a JP-1-to-PC (USB or Parallel) cable
    • DOWNLOAD the necessary "How Do I Create a Custom RID" programs from the JP-1 Forum
    • LEARN the required codes on the Learning Remote
    • TRANSFER the codes to your PC
    • CREATE a RID file on your PC
    • Using the FlipFlop RxLinux ISO CD or WiRNS, install the RID on your ReplayTV.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3 of 15 Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Hello:

Has there been any progress or has anyone made any file to link the ReplayTV 5000 series to a (Comcast) Thomson DCI1101?

While the previous seems to provide a technical solution, it is for those who have the experience in creating\\copying and installing the IR codes. Has someone captured the codes in a file that can be installed on the ReplayTV 5000 series? Out of the box the Thomson DCI1101 ( DCI 1101 ) only supports a specific Tivo models.

..and this leaves me with a desire to stay with my provider?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I received two of the DCI 1011COM from Comcast. Loaded the 2009fi.rid into my 5000 and it does respond to code 2009 found at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16723318 . Apparently it was created for the Pace_DC50X, but also controls the DCI 1011COM.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Wow, someone's getting a lot of mileage out of that Cisco RNG200 / SA Explorer 8500 code! I think the count is 4 or 5 different brands/boxes now.

It's curious to see my work paying off in unexpected ways. (Thanks, Rob!)

-eslave
post #6 of 15 Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM

So I have an older Panasonic Showstopper. Is there any way to have it control the new Comcast Thompson DTA's??
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I tried the DC50X IR codes. The install was successful but the codes did not work.

Anyone out there clone a Comcast remote? I have an SR10.1 (a private label Universal MX-700) remote from my B&K receiver that will allow me to clone remote codes. If someone will provide me with step-by-step instructions (or a link) how to clone and convert the URC .mdx file to a .rid file for the RTV-5040 I'll do it and post it.

-Kobi001
post #8 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktheg View Post

So I have an older Panasonic Showstopper. Is there any way to have it control the new Comcast Thompson DTA's??

Did you try a SEARCH?
  1. Panasonic HS2000 and Comcast DTA?
  2. Adding new IR Blaster codes to the Replay (2k/3k)
  3. [How-Do-I] Control My NEW OTA / CABLE Digital STB With My OLD ReplayTV?
  4. Pace DC-50X DTA (Comcast)
  5. Thomson DCI-1011 DTA (Comcast)
LOTs of extra info (codes, debugging tips, various related reference LINKs, etc...) in #3.

post #9 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobi001 View Post

I tried the DC50X IR codes. The install was successful but the codes did not work...

1. Several AVS members are successfully using the codes with 4K/5K ReplayTVs and Pace DC-50X DTAs, so the codes are fine.
  2. Did you verify that your IR Blaster is working (with a digital camera)?
  3. Did you verify that the code did indeed load by using the available 'Debug Display Breakpoint Messages'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobi001 View Post

...If someone will provide me with step-by-step instructions (or a link) how to clone and convert the URC .mdx file to a .rid file for the RTV-5040 I'll do it and post it...

Everything that I felt was useful regarding this general topic, I put in: [How-Do-I] Control My NEW OTA / CABLE Digital STB With My OLD ReplayTV?

So, you can start there and then head over to the JP1 Forum.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 PM

I followed the install procedure you referenced above on two different 5000's and even tried an additional IR blaster that illuminates when transmitting. I can only assume that the codes are the issue as they are installed and the IR transmitter working. I used the the DVArchive/Linix disk method to install. I'll give it another try with a fresh download/extact and see if I can get it working.

I haven't had a chance to try learning the codes with my SR10.1 remote to see if I can convert to RID codes. If the above fails, then I'll give this a shot.

Another thought: I am currently using one DCI-1011 with my Vista Media Center without trouble. These IR codes must be somewhere on the PC - can these be used or converted to RID? Do you know what directory they might be in?
post #11 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 AM

I finally got the DC-50X codes to work but I encountered a strange problem.

I think that the reason it did not work the first time when using the DVArchive/FlipFlop iso file was due to using the wrong shellcmds file. I think that I might have used a file with "C1000fi.rid" instead of "C2009fi.rid" in it.

This time around I used DVArchive/WiRNS to to the install. The install appeared fine - I got the clock and CPU meter confirmations. Now for the hinky part: the 2009 code cannot be selected from the menu. Though using FlipFlops disk installed all the 2000 series codes the first time around, when using WiRNS, it left me unable to select the code. Fortunately, since 2009 was already selected, I left it in place, tried changing channels with the RTV remote and....partial success. I rebooted the RTV, tried again and same result.

Since I was able to control the DCI-1101 as long as there were no number duplicates, I knew that this was just a timing issue. I had seen the same behavior when setting up my Vista Media Center PC. Since the RTV was already set for code 2009 I was fortunately able to fine tune the IR with the 2-4-3 Zones command by highlighting the Custom setting . I slowed the response a bit from the defaults to 400ms Interaction, 200ms Response, 400ms Pre-command and 400ms Inter-command. Now it works!

Anyone have an idea why I can't select the 2009 code and how to remedy the situation? I want to have a plan should someone change the current settings now that I have the boxes working.

Kobi
post #12 of 15 Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Well after verifying that my IR blaster actually "blasted", I still couldn't seem to control my Thomson DTA. I was using the original blasters the came with my RePlay which they say to stick directly to the IR receiver. After getting ready to throw the DTA out my window, I suddenly thought maybe I should move the blaster farther from the receiver. Bingo, it now works. Now I can curse Comcast a little less loudly for foisting this on me. Just a little...
post #13 of 15 Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmctague View Post

...after verifying that my IR blaster actually "blasted", I still couldn't seem to control my Thomson DTA... ...they say to stick directly to the IR receiver. After getting ready to throw the DTA out my window, I suddenly thought maybe I should move the blaster farther from the receiver. Bingo...

Please see: ReplayTV & STB/DTA: Troubleshooting Logically - Step #3.

Glad to read that you finally got it working *AND* posted your solution! Advance to GO. Collect $200.

Abstract problems like this get some folks *VERY* frustrated...

post #14 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 08:56 AM

Sony RMVL600 (available on eBay and at Sony outlet stores for short money-$11.99 at the Sony store) will learn the DTA codes from the silly Comcast remote and can control up to 8 total devices. There may be other learning controls that can do this, but this is one of the least expensive around. I don't have satellite or TIVO so I don't know if it will control every possible combination of components out there. (But the keys are there.)

You do have to manually "learn" each number and some keys individually to be able to enter channel numbers directly from the Sony remote and to keep the Last Channel, Enter, Info, and to have full DVD/VHS functions. It is very easy. Just align the two remotes and match the keys from remote A to remote B.

It has macros to automate changing from one viewing setup to another. eg-With one button I can switch my TV to Video Input, change the amp to Video 1, start the DVD (or VHS) (with menu, FF, RW, etc. all functioning) and control the volume. Push another button and everything goes back to normal TV.

Teac AGV7700 receiver
Magnavox ZV427MG9 VHS/DVD-RW
RCA (17 years old!) 52" projection TV
Comcast Thomson DCI 1011 COM DTA

Enough has been said about the shortcomings of the "Comcast solution" for changeover to all digital and my setup is admittedly simple, but it works for me (and my wife could learn the controls in a few minutes)
post #15 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcareavs View Post

Wow, someone's getting a lot of mileage out of that Cisco RNG200 / SA Explorer 8500 code! I think the count is 4 or 5 different brands/boxes now.

It's curious to see my work paying off in unexpected ways. (Thanks, Rob!)

-eslave

does this comment mean that the 2009 code for the DCI-1011 DTA will work on the RNG200? I'm three days into research and dead ends...this post is the only clue I've found as to whether a RID file already exists. I couldn't make my own rid file because the rmdu file for the RNG200 can't be converted to RID in the steps outlined by flipflop. Each numeric digit uses the same OBC/EFC but a different sub device code. see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6232

I already upgraded my 4k box using flipflop's CD and already used wirns to add the DCI-1011 code linked above. the 2003 dreambox code and the 2009 code from above did not work. I also tried several of the other new codes provided by the boot CD.

Thanks

Click here to see my poopli shared 4K shows
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page