Creating DVA show descriptions from Extract_RTV5 recovered files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Using Extract_RTV5 v80, I 've recovered a large number of .mpg .ndx .evt files from a 5040 that was factory reset. That process was straight forward, however, I have not been able to use the -udx switch to recover the descriptions for DVA 3.2 to be able to load them.

Basic newbie question: Can show descriptions be generated from the recovered .evt & .ndx files? I'm just learning how the filesystem works now that I am trying in recovery mode.

Hopefully, I'm on the right track...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertGeek View Post

Hello,

Using Extract_RTV5 v80, I 've recovered a large number of .mpg .ndx .evt files from a 5040 that was factory reset. That process was straight forward, however, I have not been able to use the -udx switch to recover the descriptions for DVA 3.2 to be able to load them.

Basic newbie question: Can show descriptions be generated from the recovered .evt & .ndx files? I'm just learning how the filesystem works now that I am trying in recovery mode.

Hopefully, I'm on the right track...

Thanks!

If all else fails, you CAN create .xml files from scratch. All you need to do is change the contents of an existing file and rename the file accordingly. Fields of imprtance are Show Title, Episode Title, Description (which you can leave blank), and the local show's filename. No need to worry about the channel recorded from, show length, GOPS, etc...

If you change the recording date, you can get the sort you want if you have multiple episodes of the same show.

I have successfully done this.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Seems like I've read that the file name is the year, month, day, and time of the recording. There is some tool that will, with the .mpg name, tell you when the show recorded. Then you can look up what show it was.

Disclaimer: I've never had to use any of it.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The file name is the time in seconds since Jan 1, 1970 that the show was recorded. You need to run a Unix time tool in order to convert them to the date and time that they recorded. However, extract_rtv5 displays the file's date and time when using the -u option. Also, the -lv option outputs the file's date and time...

Try using the -udsx option in addition to the -udx option...

If you don't feel like copying another show's XML file and editing it, you can simply import the shows into DVArchive. DVArchive will expect the three files (.mpg, .ndx, and .evt) and will bring up a little dialog box for you to enter the basic information about the show. Of course, what you would need to do is to look at the show date and time and maybe watch a bit of the show with an MPEG-2 viewer to figure out the information to enter about the show...

Henry
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

The file name is the time in seconds since Jan 1, 1970 that the show was recorded. You need to run a Unix time tool in order to convert them to the date and time that they recorded. However, extract_rtv5 displays the file's date and time when using the -u option. Also, the -lv option outputs the file's date and time...

Try using the -udsx option in addition to the -udx option...

If you don't feel like copying another show's XML file and editing it, you can simply import the shows into DVArchive. DVArchive will expect the three files (.mpg, .ndx, and .evt) and will bring up a little dialog box for you to enter the basic information about the show. Of course, what you would need to do is to look at the show date and time and maybe watch a bit of the show with an MPEG-2 viewer to figure out the information to enter about the show...

Henry

Last time I used this, which unfortunately for me was a few days ago, I just used the -dsx option. I'm just confirming my understanding, adding the u will also give me shows that were deleted??

BTW, thanks very much for maintaining and improving this utility, Henry.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix View Post

Last time I used this, which unfortunately for me was a few days ago, I just used the -dsx option. I'm just confirming my understanding, adding the u will also give me shows that were deleted??

That's correct. Since he said that he performed a factory reset, there's no point in trying the normal XML create options (without the 'u') since the description information would have been deleted by the factory reset. But, he posted that he used the -udx option, not the -udsx option. The -udx option has to look for a bunch of deleted files, basically one for each show channel, to retrieve the show description information, whereas using the -udsx option only has to look for a single deleted file which contains all of the show information. So, if he hadn't already tried both ways, he should try both the -udx and -udsx options...

Henry
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page