Replay 2000 disk upgrade problem - Please Wait a Few Moments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PV-HS2000 RePlayTV with a single 30 gb hard drive. As a test, I ran the RTVPatch W2k GUI application v2.5 on a Windows XP SP2 machine to upgrade to a 40 gb hard drive. The 40 gb drive worked flawlessly in the ReplayTV DVR.

Since this test showed that I could successfully upgrade the disk, I invested money in a new Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 gb drive. I repeated the same upgrade procedures as before, and installed the 160 gb drive into my ReplayTV DVR. Unfortunately, this time, after installing the new disk, the DVR displays the message "Please Wait a Few Moments ...", then the screen blacks out, then it flashes a few bright colored screens and redisplays the message "Please Wait a Few Moments ...". This cycle repeats endlessly.

I searched through this forum and found others who encountered a similar situation and the replies recommend checking the jumpers on the drive - ensuring they are either in cable select mode, single mode or master mode. I have tried cable select, master and single, but each mode yields the same exact results.

I removed the drive, reinstalled it in my PC, then ran Western Digital's disk diagnostic utility, and it found no problems with the drive. I then tried zeroing out the entire drive, followed by rerunning the RTVPatch application, but again, the same results (i.e., "Please Wait a Few Moments....").

I have tried reinstalling the original 30 gb drive, and the DVR works perfectly. I have also tried installing the 40 gb drive, and again, the DVR works perfectly.

At this point, I'm out of ideas on how to proceed. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me on how to get the new 160 gb drive to work in my HS2000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your drive might be incompatable.

I don't know if I'll be around this forum for a few days or if I could personally tell ya, but if you post the model number of your drive someone might recognize it and tell you if it is a compatible drive.

You can allso search for the threads that talk about compatible drives using the advanced search engine.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think there's something about needing to format it for large clusters if you want to use that large of a hard drive. FYI, you can only use 137GB of the 160GB drive in that unit. Some of this information is here.

Henry
post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

Your drive might be incompatable.

I don't know if I'll be around this forum for a few days or if I could personally tell ya, but if you post the model number of your drive someone might recognize it and tell you if it is a compatible drive.

You can allso search for the threads that talk about compatible drives using the advanced search engine.

I second what icecow stated. The drive you have isn't compatible with a replaytv. Get a Seagate DB35 and it'll work. I offer them for sale as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

The drive you have isn't compatible with a replaytv.

I thought that the ShowStopper wasn't very finicky about IDE hard drives. I'm sure that there are drives that are incompatible with it, but it really shouldn't need a DB35 drive like the 5Ks do. I'm pretty sure that a DB35 drive would work just fine in it, but have you ever tried any of the WD AAJB drives or Seagate 7200.10 drives in a ShowStopper to see if they work or not? Just curious...

Henry
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

I thought that the ShowStopper wasn't very finicky about IDE hard drives. I'm sure that there are drives that are incompatible with it, but it really shouldn't need a DB35 drive like the 5Ks do. I'm pretty sure that a DB35 drive would work just fine in it, but have you ever tried any of the WD AAJB drives or Seagate 7200.10 drives in a ShowStopper to see if they work or not? Just curious...

Henry

I tried the latest AAJB's and they will not boot in a Showstopper (and probably not any other Replaytv model). Cost me $50 to learn that lesson. The Seagate 7200.10 may or may not work in a 2000, 3000/showstopper and 4000/4500. It will boot, but not so sure it will continue to function properly over an extended period. The DB35 is a better choice in my mind.

My experience with the 7200.10 was concentrated on the 5000/5500 series. It will boot and appear to work correctly, but within a day experienced freeze up and rebooting issues.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

I tried the latest AAJB's and they will not boot in a Showstopper (and probably not any other Replaytv model). Cost me $50 to learn that lesson. The Seagate 7200.10 may or may not work in a 2000, 3000/showstopper amd 4000/4500. It will boot, but not so sure it will continue to function properly over an extended period. The DB35 is a better choice in my mind.

My experience with the 7200.10 was concentrated on the 5000/5500 series. It will boot and appear to work correctly, but within a day experienced freeze up and rebooting issues.

Ah! Thanks for that info! When I look at what the "other" ReplayTV upgrade sites have available for hard drive upgrades, they all have plenty of drives available for 2Ks, 3Ks, 4Ks and ShowStoppers. It always seems to be 5Ks that they have problems supplying drives for. I certainly expected that the 160GB DB35 would work in all the models, including the 5K. But, from everything I had read previously about 4Ks and previous, I thought they tended to work pretty well with pretty much any IDE hard drive.

Thanks for continuing to be there and for the information that you provide!

Henry
post #8 of 8 Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

The drive I tried in my HS-2000 was a Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 gb PATA model WD1600AAJB. I had falsely assumed that any IDE drive would work. Well, now I know that AAJB is incompatible. Thanks for the help.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page