Comcast DCI105COM1 DTA works with Panasonic PV-HS2000 ShowStopper! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was expecting Comcast to ship me a Pace DC-50X like so many of you have already received, but instead they shipped me a DCI105COM1 which does not seem to be mentioned on this forum at all.

It arrived yesterday afternoon so early this morning I set about installing it.

I was impressed with how tiny the device is, but was worried that Mikeyboy's published batch file IR code hack for Comcast DTA boxes (posted 4-6-10) wouldn't work with my Panasonic PV-HS2000 ReplayTV ShowStopper. But it works just fine!

The only install glitch I ran into was that I needed to change the jumpers on the drive to Slave from Master when I connected it temporarily to my PC. I didn't do that initially and my PC wouldn't boot up. I also had to remember to change them back before reinstalling the drive in the Replay. Fortunately, the label on my Samsung drive showed very clear diagrams of the necessary jumper pin settings.

I then put the drive back in the Replay, found my unused IR blaster (still in the unopened bag after 9+ years) and plugged it in, fired up the Replay, made the appropriate changes in the Setup menu per Mikeyboy's instructions and found that the Replay is controlling the DTA just fine.

It now takes about 4 seconds to change channels on the Replay, but I think that's the nature of the IR blaster integration along with some inherent delay in the DTA. What's important to me is that I've done at least 100 channel changes and it hasn't failed once. However, since that delay can prove annoying when channel surfing, I have a second DTA hooked directly to the TV's RF input. I was careful to tuck away the DTA that's connected to the Replay to prevent channel surfing using the remote on the second DTA from changing the channel on the Replay's DTA, since that would affect recording

There have been some comments on this forum about emitter placement but in my case, I found using a single emitter from the IR blaster cable and having it touch the receiver area on the DTA worked just fine.

Mikeyboy, thanks a million for posting and testing this fix! I was not ready to give up my trusty ShowStopper, so you have saved me a lot of time, money and aggravation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBoy View Post

It now takes about 4 seconds to change channels on the Replay, but I think that's the nature of the IR blaster integration along with some inherent delay in the DTA. What's important to me is that I've done at least 100 channel changes and it hasn't failed once.

You should check out Gary Gray's cable and Mikeyboy's post on the settings if you are interested in improving the tuning time...

Henry
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Henry: Thanks! I'll have to check this out. I like the idea of a hardwired connection better than the IR blaster.

The delay isn't killing me for now since I am using the DTA connected to my single-tuner Replay only for recordings. I rarely channel surf at all but having the second DTA in the same room provides an easy way for guests to watch TV without having to mess with any other components.

I hate giving Comcast any more $ but can afford $1.99/month for now (just ordered a 3rd DTA for the kitchen and that's when they start charging since I already have an HD cable box in another room).

I probably also need to consider power consumption since I know that regular cable boxes seem to be terrible power hogs. The DTAs are hot to the touch, so I'm curious about how much power they use, particularly now that after years of flat pricing, the local utility (Xcel Energy) has introduced tiered summer rates that go up tremendously when anything above a very small threshold (500 KWH per month) is consumed.