SwapDV as Central Server to PC's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-24-2002, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was on this forum asking a few questions about the swapdv a while back. Unfortunately, I eventually got distracted before I got any real answers (drove my vehicle into a waste deep mud hole and have been attempting to repair/replace the interior and fix the engine).

I currently live in a fraternity house with 20 people living in 14 rooms. We have one dish satellite connection in the common area. I have a house network running to every computer in every room (currently using 10baseT hubs, but I can upgrade to 100baseT switches if I demonstrate a need). I also have a network closet with many spare computers and hardware.

I was wondering if there is any way that I could set it up so that:

A. The ReplayTV records off the satellite connection.
B. All computers on the network can browse the shows and watch them (preferably several simultaneously).

What are the options for getting from point A to point B?

Should I set up a SwapDV or ReplayPC server in between? Is there a way to have the computers watch a streamed feed, or do they need to transfer the entire show before it can be watched? Is there any variety of "commercial advance" that can be used on the PC's? Can the PC's actually browse the shows easily (i.e. The Simpson's: Episode 11-3, not 1110119248714141952522.mpg)?

I have a good deal of technical expertise and am willing to set all this up. The end result, however, needs to be usable by Tyler "What's e-mail."

-Biscuits
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page