dvarchive vlc and permission errors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using dvarchive for a number of years with pc's. I now have a macbook pro. I've sucessfully installed vlc as a player but when I try to start it from withing dvarchive I get "Cannot run program /applications/vlc.app. Error 13 permission denied.

vlc seems to work when trying to play stored replay programs but dvarchive seems unable to make vlc work.

Any ideas?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You haven't actually selected the VLC application from DVArchive, you've selected the VLC package folder. You need to dig deeper into the VLC application path. I can't remember how to do it right now, I've posted it several times if you search for it, but you need to select something like "show contents" in Finder on the VLC application and then get the path to the VLC application itself, and copy and paste that path into DVArchive...

Henry

*UPDATE* Here's the last time I posted the correct path to VLC...

*OOPS* Sorry, that is the path for configuring DVArchive to run QuickTime. If you replace "QuickTime Player" with "VLC", it should be what you want. You should be able to double check it by entering in that path and then selecting Browse to ensure that you can actually select the VLC application...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.....

ok... really really close....

I tried putting in the string you indicated for vlc and now I get no errors but apparrantly vlc doesn't start. I than tried using the quicktime player with the same setup and got a message that quicktime couldn't play this format....

So close!

George
post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
QuickTime can't play MPEG-2 files unless you purchase the MPEG-2 decoder...

To double check that you have the VLC path correct, after you've entered the VLC path (which should be something like "/Applications/vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc"), use the Browse button to re-select the VLC application. It should properly open in the folder that actually contains the VLC application, and you should be able to then select the application so that DVArchive creates the path correctly...

Of course, if you're not getting any errors, then you probably have the path setup correctly. I guess you'd have to watch more carefully to see if you can figure out what's going on when DVArchive launches VLC...

Henry
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM

I have been struggling all day with this same error as stated above; where Mac OS X using VLC does nothing when Play Downloaded Movie or Play Streaming Movie in DVArchive. If the path is incorrect; then I get an error in the Messages; but if the path is correct I get no messages; nothing that I can find in the console either. I tried to set the -debug flag in the Get Info; but that didn't give me any more information either. (I don't think it was working to give me more verbose output).

If I use the Quicktime Helper; it launches Quicktime; but doesn't launch the movie.

I am able to launch VLC and the movie from the terminal with the correct VLC path and the full downloaded movie path. I wanted to try the streaming; but I found where others talked about the need for DVArchive to proxy the httpfs for streaming; and I tried a bunch of combinations of the http proxying through the dva IP address; but couldn't get it to work (kept getting HTTP 400 Bad Request trying to send it into VLC).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/645286/vlc-and-streaming-from-a-replaytv
http:\\\\:replayShow.mpg?DVR=YourReplaysName@S howID=########.mpg

All said and done... I am at a total lost as to why the VLC app does nothing when I try to play a movie from DVArchive.

I'm out of answers; I am applying a Mac OS X Software Update and going to restart--keeping my fingers cross.

I'm running a brand new (few weeks old) Mac Mini 10.8 (before the update).

Pete Gordon
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
In DVA, click File DVArchive Properties. In the General Tab, click Browse across from MPEG Video Player and navigate to the vlc.exe program and accept it as the player. Do the same for Streaming MPEG Video Player and vlc.exe. Finally, click on Save in the DVArchive Properties window. VLC should play Replay shows out of the box with no settings changes required. If not, then good luck.

Arvy
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

In DVA, click File DVArchive Properties. In the General Tab, click Browse across from MPEG Video Player and navigate to the vlc.exe program and accept it as the player. Do the same for Streaming MPEG Video Player and vlc.exe. Finally, click on Save in the DVArchive Properties window. VLC should play Replay shows out of the box with no settings changes required. If not, then good luck.

Uh, while similar, that's just not how it works on a Mac. Anyway, I don't think he's having any problem setting the video player path, it's getting VLC to launch. I've had a similar problem and switched to using QuckTime because I couldn't figure out how to correct it, although I'm using the QuickTime helper...
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't play the shows from DVArchive. I just navigate to the folder containing the downloads, and double-click on the show I want and it launches the appropriate player.

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page