Do ReplayTV videos work on iPad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am teetering on the edge of buying an iPad2, but I have one important requirement that I cannot seem to find a straight answer to online or even at the Apple store.

I use dvarchive to download shows to my laptop and ancient Axim PDA (after running a converter).

I definitely want to view these videos on the iPad.

I don't want to build a video library, or care about the image quality. I will watch a show once and then delete it forever. Most of it will be primetime broadcast and basic cable TV shows.

So my questions are:

Can the iPad play the native ReplayTV MPG files? If not, can they be converted? If so, how?

Do I HAVE to use iTunes to transfer files from my PC to the iPad? Does this mean Apple has a list of every video I transfer? How exactly does the process of getting videos onto the tablet work? Can I use a data cable instead of wi-fi?

It would be great to just connect to an external drive and copy files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a fair number of 3rd party video playing apps that let you play a wider range of formats on iphone/ipad such as divx, blabla, blabla, blabla, and blabla. There are also a fair number of apps that let you stream videos from a home computer or cloud storage to your iphone/ipad from a remote location. Any one of these products might play replaytv files correctly. Don't be surprized if most or all won't. In that case I'm pretty sure it's still doable by grabbing the latest replaytv file corector (still a Womble product(?)) and convert them, then most of the 3rd party ios video player apps would play them correctly.

Damnit, I just typed out a long usefull response, but lost it by a bad click

ok, here's a hurried redo.
You sync files from itunes to your ipad/iphone via a cable. sadly Apple doesnt offer a wireless sync. With the 3rd party video player apps (the ones that play divx, etc) the videos sync with itunes but the video titles will not show up in the ipad/iphone native video player, just the 3rd party app.

NOTE that there is no jailbreak for the IPAD2 at present. The IPAD1 exploits have been patched. And the hacking community has to start from scratch to find a low level exploit. Jailbreaking is legal, as written in to the DMCA and recently has been upheld in court. Jailbreaking gives an incredible amount of freedom including real multitasking and full file exporer to meant-to-be-private folders.

However, I believe you could meet your objectives without the jailbreak. the 3rd party video players are sold throught apples app store, and there is no restriction to use programs like womble on the computer side.

I think the weakest link is what always has been a bane in the replay world: figuring out which PC program is best to convert a replaytv mpeg to a computer friendly video file. After that a 3rd party video player should have no problem on the ipad.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post

Can the iPad play the native ReplayTV MPG files? If not, can they be converted? If so, how?

The iPad (1 or 2) using iOS 4.3 (the latest operating system for those devices) or earlier cannot play native ReplayTV files. Even the default Quicktime Player on MacOS X cannot play MPEG2 files without a supplementary extension (which requires a fee is acquired through commercial channels, even from Apple, due to MPEG2 licensing issues).

Despite the post from icecow, I do not believe any 3rd party iOS apps can play MPEG2, but I am not completely certain of this, however I believe it. This is due to two factors: the iOS systems have a relatively slow CPU, and the MPEG2 CODEC is both tricky and also covered by restrictive patents and licensing conditions which I believe require a payment from any decoding application.

There are, however, various ways to convert the files to play on the iPad, iPod touch or iPhone. You should use H.264 which plays easily. My preferred method would be to use the free application ffmpeg. It is the most versatile, but also the most arcane. There are, however, many recipes: just Google for "iphone video ffmpeg". This application is Linux-naive, but has various ports to other major platforms. It also has graphical wrappers which you can use if the command like makes you too uncomfortable.
post #4 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Here is an example of one of the above mentioned 3rd party apps (Air Video) that run on iPhone or iPad $2.99 currently but use AppShopper to catch a sale.
http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html
It is the one I use. I have iPad1 but it should work on iPad2.
It runs a server on mac or windows (free), streams over wifi or local internet and goes around iTunes. Apple doesn't know about your videos but the app allows you to add the videos to iTunes if you want.
It converts replaytv mpg files "on the fly" to a form playable on IOS devices but does not skip commercials like DVArchieve as it does not read the separate commercial info file. It works from of an external hard drive.
Something of interest to me is a new API for developers released last week allows apps to stream video to apple tv. But the current version of Air Video does not forward video to apple tv. This may be possible in a future release.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM

That's a good suggestion. I assumed he wanted to be able to watch totally "off the air". I transcode shows sometimes to watch when I am traveling.

Of course a Slingbox is another (expensive, but neat) option if you only want to stream content to your iPad. It allows you to completely remote-control the ReplayTV over any kind of net connection.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 AM

OK sometimes I answer too quickly.
You don't just want to view on your iPad 2, you want to get replaytv files to your iPad internal flash memory and then view them on the subway commute or something.
Sorry. How do I delete an entry.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaybob View Post

OK sometimes I answer too quickly.
You don't just want to view on your iPad 2, you want to get replaytv files to your iPad internal flash memory and then view them on the subway commute or something.
Sorry. How do I delete an entry.

Hey, he might be happy with streaming; I don't know. Anyhow, I thought that the app you suggested was interesting and appreciated the info, as I am sure others might. In my opinion, you have nothing to apologize for: quite the contrary.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 View Post

Despite the post from icecow, I do not believe any 3rd party iOS apps can play MPEG2, but I am not completely certain of this, however I believe it. This is due to two factors: the iOS systems have a relatively slow CPU, and the MPEG2 CODEC is both tricky and also covered by restrictive patents and licensing conditions which I believe require a payment from any decoding application.
I don't mind your brawn, however to set the record straight I said it might be hard to find or not at all.

With that said, the first 3rd party player I snooped after reading your post claims to play mpg, mpg1, mpg2, and a slew of others. It is called GoodPlayer. Google it or look it up in app store.

There's definitely chance that any mpg2 player will not play replaytv mpg files correctly dispite claims.

more info:
GoodPlayer claims to play:
3gp,aac,ape,asf,avi,divx,dv,flac,flv,gxf,m2p,m2ts,m2v,m4v,m4 r,m4a,mkv,moov,mov,mp3,mp4,mpeg,mpeg1,mpeg2,mpeg4,mpg,mpv,mt 2s,mts,mxf,ogg,ogm,ogv,ps,qt,rm,rmvb,ts,vob,webm,wm,wma,wav, wmv file externsions supported

Here's a link (don't think this is GoodPlayer's hompage, but has the info):
http://www.smartappdevelopers.com/20...1-1-universel/
post #9 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post
I don't mind your brawn, however ..../[/url]
Sorry, I did not mean any offense. I was just attempting to provide what I could. If Good Player does MPEG2 I am pleasantly surprised. I just re-read the MPEG2 licenses and they are daunting but obviously VLC and FFMPEG manage to ignore them (although those two tools are both free). It's the paid things that have historically had problems.

Anyhow, I guess I should check out Good Player myself someday.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I decided to try GoodPlayer ($3).

The number of formats claimed was so extensive I started to have doubts. The program also lets you move videos wirelessly. On the computer with the video file you set your browser (in my case) to http://192.168.1.124:11111. From the web page you click on a browse box and select the video you want. It then transfers it to the [running] GoodPlayer app on your ipad. You can sync wired with iTunes, which is probably much faster.

I uploaded a 6 min low quality video segment from my replaytv via dvarchive (which was short because I started recording it just as the show was about to end) and played it on GoodPlayer. To my surprise it just worked, and the sound was in sync. I skipped around the video using the timeline and the sound was still in sync. At one point I fumbled with my ipad and the sound went out of sync. I backed out of the video and selected it again. It started where I had left off and the sound was in sync. I moved the timeline bar around again and it always stayed in sync.

So it looks pretty good, with, of course, an obligatory mystery incident.

If I try medium quality later I will post about it. Other than that you guys gotta do your own testing.

This was on an ipad 1, btw, the ipad 2 should be nicer.

one last thought, the ipad 1 has 256 megs of memory total, the ipad 2 has 512. I want to believe the 3rd party player handles large files well; the one I used was not huge.
post #11 of 30 Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

I tried a 8 min MEDIUM QUALITY Replaytv mpg with GoodPlayer. It works. There doesn't seem to be any out-of-sync problems when I move around the position lever.

I did notice using the http://192.168.1.124:11111 page to transfer wirelessly might be glitchy. I chose a file and hit the Submit button. When I did GoodPlayer would close on the ipad. I had to rerun it and try 4 times before it sent the file. I'd think a wired transfer via itunes would be more reliable. I opened the 11111 port in my router. If there's anything more to know, I don't know it.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

All,

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is very interesting and I hope to hear more.

My original request was related to transferring the video to the iPad for travel on airplanes, subways, Amtrak etc. I travel a lot for work. The ideas for in-home streaming are very interesting and I will definitely test them out.

I am getting much more involved in mobile technologies at work, and I will use the iPad to help develop my technical skills. But for entertainment, I will be looking for it to replace my trusted Dell Axim PDA.

My previous procedure for the Axim was:

1. Download shows using DVArchive.
2. Use PocketDivXEncoder to make .avi files
3. Copy .avi files to SD card and insert in PDA.
4. Notice people on planes and subways realize I'm watching a show that aired the previous night.

I have been doing this continuously since 2003. I will probably keep the Axim in my bag with current shows in case the iPad isn't available (my wife will likely use it a lot too).

I found a program named "Next DVD Ripper" that works very much like PocketDivXEncoder on .mpg files. The free version is nagware and pauses between each file, but at least it has the all important ability to process a queue of files in one session.

I'm going to the Apple store in Manhattan this weekend. I will take a sampling of different video formats with me and I hope I can get a salesperson to transfer them to an iPad for me to view. If it works, I'll probably buy one the same day, then I'll worry about acquiring a video converter that can process a block of shows in one unattended session.

I'll post again with my results.

Thanks all.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you will find a ipod touch 4g would be quite a nice replacement for your dell axim as well. It only has 256 megs like the touch 3g and ipad 1 though.

If your not at all in a hurry, the next ipod touch comes out in about 6 months. supposed to be even thinner, dual core and 512 megs I'd assume (iphone 4 has 512 megs)

more info: wiki some of these devices to see their resolutions, memory, etc.

I'm not an apple fan boy. However, it's a great point in time for apple: ipad 2, iphone5 (verizon in june), ipod touch 4g, 5g (even the touch 3generation is silly nice right now (definately don't get the 8gig version of touch 3rd generation, cause it's really a 2nd generation, which is getting useless comparitively).

Wish apple made a 7" tablet, and/or a 10" tablet with 1600x1200 resolution w/wacom)
post #14 of 30 Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I was pleasantly surprised to find my new Archos 101 Android tablet (10.1" widescreen) could stream from DVArchive by going to DVA's web interface.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I don't mind if the thread starts to address different tablets.

I was optimistic about how easy it is to get an iPad 2. I have an order in and it will take a few weeks. I'll post my experiences.

I'm usually pretty good at checking woot.com every day, but for some reason I didn't do it yesterday, and that was not a good thing.

They had the Viewsonic gtablet for $285 shipped. That is at least $100 cheaper than anywhere else. It seems to have very good and fast hardware, but so-so and out of date Droid software. But of course there are all sorts of 3rd party patches that seem to make it be a very nice tablet. Plus, it has a mini-USB and a SD slot. It would be nice to have that one AND the iPad 2 to compare against. It already beats Apple by allowing Flash players.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

If I hadn't bought the Archos 101 a few weeks ago, I would have snatched one up last night. I even thought about buying it and seeing if I liked it more, but I invested a good # of hours configuring and downloading apps on the Archos, so I passed. The hardware did have some good specs. I didn't see HDMI out, but I think there was some sort or proprietary port on it, which may allow for video out, that was the only downside I saw.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post

I'm usually pretty good at checking woot.com every day, but for some reason I didn't do it yesterday, and that was not a good thing.

They had the Viewsonic gtablet for $285 shipped. ...

If it's any consolation, I have read that the gTablet has a much less appealing screen, which is a big downer in a tablet.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 View Post

If it's any consolation, I have read that the gTablet has a much less appealing screen, which is a big downer in a tablet.

I read that too. I think the main complaint is the viewing angle and glare. Also at 24 ounces it's not much fun to hold for long periods. But still, the complaints I read were mostly for video games. I would use it for watching crappy ReplayTV Standard Resolution video and web browsing. My wife would like to do the Flash crossword puzzles that I'm pretty sure won't work on the iPad.

I'll still spend most of my time on the laptop, especially for work, but I won't mind owning a couple of different tablets to see what they can do.

$285 for the gtablet was probably low enough for me to bite. Any higher and I'll pass for now.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought a GTablet. Though the stock OS was junk, you can hack it to at least 3 other great Android flavors. ANd it has a tegra2 dual processor, one of the first few that did. The Tegra2 is the baseline for Androids Honeycomb so it looked like I'd be able to upgrade it. But last I read Honycomb was going to require a resolution one size bigger than the Gtablet has. There may be more up to date info about that.

It's true the screen sucks. the viewing angle isn't great, and there seems to be a latency while touching the screen. It's not a cpu latency, the thing is fast. I think it's the screen technology itself.

I'm pretty agnostic about computers and want to conclude it is flat out wise to just buy a ipad 2 for $500, and not touch android for another 1-1.5 years. Sure android will be getting better quickly every 5 months, but do you really want to go through all of that? I'm getting too old for that. I knew I shouldn't have bought the Gtablet but did anyway. Same with my Droid X. I'm around inernet all the time, just not worth the monthly.

Ipads have nice gorilla glass, nice touch response. Sure it's walled garden, but if you jailbreak it you can go absolutely nuts and still enjoy the quality build as well. Even if you didn't jailbreak it the cheap apps availible are competing to death just so you cdan use them.

Great apps:
iTeleport...VNC into your computer and the experience is quite nice (tons of other vnc apps around)
Netflix--watch your netflix anywhere you have wifi
Dropbox programs: music, notes, everything
ug.. endless great stuff cant even think right now.
RSS readers
(I use a lot of interent radio/podcasts)

dealing with text selection, and such is confusing in droid imo, but darn good on ios.

If you going that way I believe ifyou buy from MacMall?? there is no tax.

I actually bought an ipad 2 16 wifi, but sold it a week later unopened for $100 profit. Decided to get the one with GPS/3G. I was after the GPS part, but it's nice that you can pay one month at a time and get internet anywhere if needed ..on trip or whatever. Might even get more ram and make cheezy tutorial videos or somjething

Even an Ipad 1 for $300 would be a great solution, but at 256megs and single processor, programs just close if you jailbreak it and try to run much. new one has 512 megs.

good luck with that. let me know if you get one, I'll yak names of great programs at ya.

Worst part:
No Flash
I play games on it sometimes now, used ot not play games (guess thats' bad)

P.S. Edit: I just ran in to the craziest game I've ever seen in my life for ios. It's called Forget Me Not (don't know why it's called that). If you haven't got to at least level 10 you don't know what the game is. All I'll say is learn to grind the walls as you walk down corridores for extra power and try not to explode. $2, probably videos of it on Youtube.. oh here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQYGoN6IXM
I suggest letting it load up completely and jump around.

the sound will drive you nuts after awhile I'm sure, but for some reason it hasn't bothered me (played about an hour total)
post #20 of 30 Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Decided to get the one with GPS/3G. I was after the GPS part, but it's nice that you can pay one month at a time and get internet anywhere if needed ..on trip or whatever.

I know it is going off topic, but I've gone in a slightly different direction with a Walmart Virgin Mifi 2200. Similar deal, $20 for a month but no contract. My thinking was that we have a gazillion different devices with Wifi and it seems nuts to be paying $25/device a month for each to have its own 3G access.
post #21 of 30 Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorimer View Post

I know it is going off topic, but I've gone in a slightly different direction with a Walmart Virgin Mifi 2200. Similar deal, $20 for a month but no contract. My thinking was that we have a gazillion different devices with Wifi and it seems nuts to be paying $25/device a month for each to have its own 3G access.

This may be a dubious claim comming from me but I don't see how people call so many things offtopic. A Virgin Mifi is clearly relivant to how one might view video on a tablet. And if it wasn't immediately apparent, it's just the sort of progression of information some else might point out the relivance.
Bla bla bla

That said, My droid x is rooted and will act as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, ipod touch, ipad, et all. However, it is important to know that when the hotspot is on my phone battery lasts about an hour(?) before the battery is low, which also jeopardises your phone calls. A virgin MiFi i'm sure has better battery life, but is one more item to carry around and charge. There are also rechargable battery brick looking things around about the side of a phone or two, that have ~1, ~5, ~100 times the battery your phone does, but those are one more item to carry around too and the companies never seem to get them right: they charge via a laptop sized adapter, mini usb, car plug or outlet, and the usb out is often only 500milliamps(like a px (think apple uses 1000ma out on their usb), verses the 850ma a typical smart phone wants, or the 2100ma an ipad wants. Most phones/portable devices (i think) have a chip in them that lets them safely be inserted into even a 2100ma output without hurting the device. An perhaps-untrackable number of (usually older) devices could potentially be damaged by the extra milliamps i read.

Can't someone just put out a brick battery that has two usb outs, one 850ma, and one 2100 ma (marked HIGH OUTPUT IPAD), that can be charged by flipping out prongs and/or charged in a wall socket, and/or a auto auto cig lighter, and/or perhaps even a usb charging plug as well?

If they made a battery brick that plugged in to a auto cig lighter and had just one 850ma output it would be one large step for mankind alone, particularly because it would continue to charge the phone after you turned off the ignition, and likely protect devices from the harsh auto electrical system.

What do they have now? lots of car/home adapters with a 500ma output, or a battery brick with 500ma output that can only be charged by usb, or, auto cig lighter, or standard outlet.

Or they have a dual output adapter that fits in auto cig outlet, or reg outlet, but both are 500ma output.

Or they have a fat brick that will double the time of a laptop, and if you are lucky it will also have a usb port out for a nearly endless charge to a phone(whatever), but of course it will be 500ma output.

Then there's the propritory adapters and cables that targus, and igo put out, but they of course will have tips ou better not lose or break, and also, you guessed it: a 500ma output.

Good news! I spotted a auto cig adapter that is 2100ma for ipad, which will work with my droid x and ipod touches, but it doesn't include a battery brick on it. I could charge a battery brick from it if I want shiP all over my car, but if I do that guess what: the brick only will charge at 500ma input.

I could spend 8 hours finding a laptop charger that plugs into my auto cig, and will charge my laptop brick battery, if I want to shellout, and have crap all over my car, but guess what: the laptop brick still only outputs 500ma.

And Yes this is OnTopic to someone who is trying to remotely watch videos on their tablet.

What do I use right now? I use a auto cig charger that has one usb output of 2100ma, and plug in an igo usb2igo cable, then have an igo splitter that makes it go to 2 igo outputs. I can always unplug it and plug any usb cable directly in to the adapter.

I also use an igo brick thingy that plugs right into a reg socket. however, it only doubles my phone's battery (opposed to the 5x, or 20x that are availible in about the same size). but if I ever need to use phone a lot I just wait till the phone is charged up and plug it in an outlet whever I am, and let it charge up as my phone drains. Rinse and repeat.

All of the idiocy in battery bricks, chargers, etc makes me speculate 95% of people with any kind of access to power in this world are complete selfish idiots. hate those thoughts.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Stumbled upon this useful link comparing tablet specs. Thought I'd drop it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_tablet_PCs
post #23 of 30 Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM

If you have a Mac, one suggestion would be to get El Gato's Turbo.264 HD and convert the ReplayTV's .mpg files for the iPad. Once converted, the new video can be put into your iTunes' Movie folder and then just sync your iPad.

I use it for my original Apple TV and iPhone 3GS.
post #24 of 30 Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Try a slingbox solo and slingbox app for Ipad, no conversion, no PC , just control your replay.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

if anyone got a viewsonic gtablet a rom came out called vegan gingerbread edition thats really nice. now i use my gtablet and am happy with it too.

just a heads up
post #26 of 30 Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

UPDATE:

I tried a 8 min MEDIUM QUALITY Replaytv mpg with GoodPlayer. It works. There doesn't seem to be any out-of-sync problems when I move around the position lever.

I did notice using the http://192.168.1.124:11111 page to transfer wirelessly might be glitchy. I chose a file and hit the Submit button. When I did GoodPlayer would close on the ipad. I had to rerun it and try 4 times before it sent the file. I'd think a wired transfer via itunes would be more reliable. I opened the 11111 port in my router. If there's anything more to know, I don't know it.

Even though I started this thread, I've been away for quite a while.

It took around 5 weeks for my iPad 2 to arrive (don't ask).

I've had it for a couple of weeks but never got around to trying ReplayTV videos on it. I tested a few converters that gave so-so results and would not have been worth the price to buy.

This morning I finally installed GoodPlayer.

I ran a handful of Low Quality shows (that's really all I ever record). The player worked as well as I could have hoped. Video and audio quality was just fine for what I wanted. I tried the wifi option to transfer a file and it worked the first time, although it was quite slow on the 64MB connection. I didn't have to open any ports on the router. Of course the USB wired method through iTunes was much faster but it's more complicated than I think it needs to be.

Even though I feel Apple should have supported MPG2 video naively, 3 bucks for GoodPlayer wasn't too much to pay to resolve this functional gap.

I'll be going on a number of business trips soon, this will give GoodPlayer a bit of a workout on the planes and hotel rooms (I can't watch live TV without a pause and skip back button anymore).

I also have Netflix and HBO Go on the iPad for when I want better quality video. They all seem to use the same video player controls.

I still like my old Axim V51, but its tiny screen is looking smaller all the time. I'll keep it in my bag with a collection of shows I want to see. It will still be useful in a number of situations.
post #27 of 30 Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

if anyone got a viewsonic gtablet a rom came out called vegan gingerbread edition thats really nice. now i use my gtablet and am happy with it too.

just a heads up

While I was waiting for the iPad, I bought a gtablet off of eBay for a reasonable price. I wanted to experience both Apple and Android systems.

I also tried a few different ROMs and settled on the "Vegan-Tab Ginger Edition v7.0.0" version.

I recommend the "Better Keyboard v8" over the fairly strangely designed default keyboard. Its too bad they have to support tablets and phones with the same screen layouts when the tablets have so much more space to deal with these things.

Anyway, I've got ReplayTV videos to play here too. The droid doesn't seem to like the RTV's aspect ratio, so I use my ancient but trusty PocketDivXEncoder_0.3.50 program to convert it to 640x480. The best droid video player I've found so far is called RockPlayer lite. It's free but you see small ads when you are selecting a video, but not when its playing.

I don't like that the droid nearly shuts down to when it is connected to the PC, and it is way slower than it needs to be, but I found that the hidden USB port is happy to read from thumb drives at full speed.

So now with the iPad, Axim v51 and the gtablet, I can see my RTV shows wherever I want.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Update on GoodPlayer on the iPad.

It is pretty good.

If you select Subtitles type 3, you get the closed captioning in the Replay video file. I like that a lot.

I wish there were user selectable durations for the jump forward and jump back buttons. Both are fixed at around 60 seconds. It makes skipping commercials a bit harder. Using the slider bar is too clumsy. I'd like the ReplayTV settings for 30 seconds forward and 7 seconds backwards.

Fiddling with it too much can cause it to hang, but it is very easy to restart and it remembers where you left off.

It's a keeper.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorimer View Post

This is a great little product that I used when travelling to the US. It allowed me to Skype/Google Voice/Air Video/Netflix using my Canadian iPhone (Data Only) and iPad.
It had 5 hours of use for the first day and each day the battery life dropped off drastically until by the 5th day it barely had 5 minutes after a full night charging.
Great concept but needs a better battery (still worked great while plugged in to AC).
post #30 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to dredge up such an old topic.

Now that VLC is available for the iPad again, it's not too difficult to stream shows from a ReplayTV to the iPad on your home network without the need to download them first.

Use the DVArchive web service to access your shows via a web browser on your iPad. Select the show you want to watch and instead of tapping the play button, hold down on it. You will get a pop up box with different options. One of the options is to copy the link to the clipboard. Tap on it.

Then leave the browser and start the VLC app. Tap on it's icon in the upper left corner. One of the options that you'll see is Open Network Stream. Tap on it. Hold down on the text box at the top of the screen until you see the Paste button and tap on it. Then tap on the Open button and the show will start playing.

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page